The terrorist attacks we don't care about

Comments

• Anyone know what the terror alert level is that must be scrolling along the bottom of faux new's channel? Be afraid, very, very afraid.

Nobody is afraid just because they speak against the idea of idiot terrorists blowing people up. I don't give terrorism a second thought and don't eye 'brown people' suspiciously in any setting. What I do though, is express my disgust at such ignorance when it presents itself. Are people calling you afraid because of your noted and slightly obsessive apprehension towards Donald Trump? Is the guy really going to be so awful that he'll assuredly mark the rapid decline of the US... or is it a matter of his deplorable character that has you in a tizzy?

Is it your wish that media doesn't even broadcast such events because they're just 'drops in the bucket'... or that, in the event the media does broadcast such events, people just shrug their shoulders with a "meh"? I mean, you're really going out of your way to try and demonstrate terrorism... in particular, Islamic terrorism... is really nothing at all anyone should concern themselves with.

If I've misread your intentions, can you please explain what you're hoping to achieve by attempting to thwart sentiments lamenting the current reality- one in which features Islamic terrorists routinely blowing people up or shooting them (among other things)?
    Drop the word "Islamic" from in front of terrorism and just condemn all "terrorism." Something some people only seem to be outraged by, which is when it's conducted by "islamists" or in the name of "Islam."

Who's in a tizzy? Sheesh.
    Lol

I could agree to some degree with your first point. I guess it's human nature to categorize somewhat. It's not only terrorism we categorize. We do so in all facets of life- some for the better and some for the worse. I get my daily news feed from various sources and I'm to my saturation point with black robed men lopping people's heads off and mass shootings.

The other variety of terrorism some have spoken to here is so infrequent and somewhat inconsequential given their magnitude. It's just not as newsworthy or concerning as something that rears its head routinely.

You're in a 'bit' of a tizzy aren't you? Don't get me wrong... I'm on your side with regards to the orange one, but it's fair to say you've been particularly agitated with the guy in a very deep and personal level. For me... I oppose him for who he is and what he stands for, but I don't think he's the beginning of the end (I'm not saying you are suggesting such).

And... remain as you were regarding Trump please. I really like your posts in the Trump thread- they must be enfuriating for someone trying to defend the guy. You do a real good job making him look the corrupt ass he is... in my mind, wielding facts and common sense.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_Soul said:

So white guys in the US who fit the definition of terrorists are labelled idiots, and idiots overseas who fit the defintion of terrorists are labelled Muslim extremists?

Yeah, apparently the only kind of terrorists that exist any more are Muslim terrorists. Everyone else are just idiots. ;)
    (but seriously, terrorism fits a particular and oft debated definition, and I would say that most crimes by white supremacist groups in America don't fit that definition. They are hate crimes though. The point is, the danger that the crimes pose is the real issue, not whether or not it's terrorism by definition. I feel like a lot of people forget that).
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/non-muslims-carried-out-more-than-90-of-all-terrorist-attacks-in-america/5333619
    To the link... again... it speaks to the fact that, in America, you are much more likely to die from an sti or alcoholism. So what?

It also says that, in America, you are far more likely to die from a routine gun murder than a terrorist event. Well duh. Yah. And that's why gun control is such a hotbed issue.

And unless I never read very well... it doesn't really specify what constitutes a terrorist act. Exactly what types of events have they used to compile their data? We've been through comparing blowing up abortion clinics where someone was working later to armed men shooting concert goers. As deplorable as the abortion clinic examples are... the extreme nature of the latter variety is concerning at most and inspirational for discussion at the very least.

And for the record... this isn't about hating brown people as is so often inferred around here. As this thread can attest to... Islamic terrorists are killing other Muslims more than they are killing anyone else. This pisses me off just as much as when the victims are fair skinned: French people or Syrians dying at the hands of f**king lunatics is unacceptable (as trivial as such events are made out to be).
    And isn't that the defense the pro-gun crowd likes to spew? That the number of deaths attributable to guns, or more precisely, people with guns in comparison to the overall population and the number of gun owners it's a relative drop in the bucket. In this big wide world, you should be more concerned with getting in a car or being struck by lightning. Or with Tumps executive order that Overturned Obama's mentally ill from legally buying guns. There's my tizzy.
    But to my defence... I'm in favour of gun control and I'm in favour of eradicating terrorism.

I don't use that defence in either scenario. I speak to the relevance of each and the need to take each situation seriously. Nobody needs to be shot while standing in their front yard just as nobody needs to be blown up on a subway going to work.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    Not sure why you would post this in this thread.
    Fox News is going to beat this story to death like they do anytime a Christian is a victim of terrorism.
    This thread is about the attacks that outlets like Fox News ignore.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

unsung said:
    Fox News is going to beat this story to death like they do anytime a Christian is a victim of terrorism.
    Not the most sympathetic post I've ever read considering the carnage.

rgambs said:

unsung said:
    I wasn't responding to the terrorist attack, I was responding to Unsung's intentions for posting it here. I suspect he is making a sarcastic point, as usual.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:
    I wasn't responding to the terrorist attack, I was responding to Unsung's intentions for posting it here. I suspect he is making a sarcastic point, as usual.
    I knew you were agitated with him. Your remark just seemed kind of cold. That stuff happens with such frequency these days... so I can fully understand how the magnitude of the event might have been temporarily lost on you as you focused on the messenger versus the message.

I'm not judging you. You've always been one of the fairer people on this forum. Unsung has been in fine form as of late, but I do appreciate his perspective: this isn't so much an agreement forum as it is a discussion forum (discussion dies pretty quick when everyone is nodding their heads).

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:
    I knew you were agitated with him. Your remark just seemed kind of cold. That stuff happens with such frequency these days... so I can fully understand how the magnitude of the event might have been temporarily lost on you as you focused on the messenger versus the message.

I'm not judging you. You've always been one of the fairer people on this forum. Unsung has been in fine form as of late, but I do appreciate his perspective: this isn't so much an agreement forum as it is a discussion forum (discussion dies pretty quick when everyone is nodding their heads).
    I honestly don't even know any details about this attack. I have been disconnecting myself from that sort of news as much as I can lately. There's just so much bad shit happening always that sometimes you need a break from it. I try to keep up on things that will have international consequences but I try to avoid stand alone tragedy stories.

This thread is all about how nobody cares much in the US when Muslims are the victims of terror attacks, while white or Christian victims are lamented heavily in our news and social media.
    I assume Unsung disagrees and thinks this event is an extension of the eradication of the white race, but that is for him to clarify if he wishes.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I honestly don't even know any details about this attack. I have been disconnecting myself from that sort of news as much as I can lately.
    There is your answer.

unsung said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I honestly don't even know any details about this attack. I have been disconnecting myself from that sort of news as much as I can lately.
    There is your answer.

Answer to what? I read the link now. Doesn't change anything.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    are you referring to the lovely muslims blowing up Christians at Palm Sunday mass? the media skirted this, well at least msnbc did.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    rssesq said:

are you referring to the lovely muslims blowing up Christians at Palm Sunday mass? the media skirted this, well at least msnbc did.

Yup they sure did....

Church Bombings Rock Palm Sunday in Egypt - NBC News
    http://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/church-bombings-rock-palm-sunday-egypt-n744366

Bomb Blasts in Egypt Strike Coptic Christian Churches - NBC News
    http://www.nbcnews.com/video/bomb-blasts-in-egypt-strike-coptic-christian-churches-917390915646

Egypt Palm Sunday Church Blasts Kill at Least 38 - NBC News
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/egypt-palm-sunday-church-blasts-kill-least-37-n744296
    My mistake, I had placed this link in the wrong thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/18/us/fresno-california-shootings/index.html
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I am not even sure I would have heard of this if 2 Canadians hadn't been killed. 18 people murdered in a terrorist attack at a restaurant in Burkina Faso (also a country most people don't care about either (or perhaps have never heard of), ironically). Fairly assumed to have been committed by an Islamic terrorist group, but no one has yet claimed responsibility.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/burkina-faso-restaurant-cafe-attack-1.4245994?cid=

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Domestic white male terrorist arrested today. But it's those Muslims we have to worry about.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fbi-arrests-man-plot-detonate-bomb-oklahoma-bank-49208876

Domestic white male terrorist arrested today. But it's those Muslims we have to worry about.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fbi-arrests-man-plot-detonate-bomb-oklahoma-bank-49208876

I would be very interested to know just how many terrorist attacks are stopped before they happen. Over time, I've gotten the impression that it's a LOT. You'd think that the intelligence community would want everyone to know about them.... but perhaps the sheer number of foiled plots in America is enough to just scare the living shit out of everyone, so they don't reveal the numbers?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    edited August 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I would be very interested to know just how many terrorist attacks are stopped before they happen. Over time, I've gotten the impression that it's a LOT. You'd think that the intelligence community would want everyone to know about them.... but perhaps the sheer number of foiled plots in America is enough to just scare the living shit out of everyone, so they don't reveal the numbers?
    They don't seem to get much attention and then fall out of the news cycle pretty quickly. Here's a somewhat long and interesting story about a plot stopped just in time that you may not have heard about. I know I didn't and I like to think I pay attention to the news. These guys were going all in to kill Muslim immigrants in their Kansas town and there wasn't any FBI sting like in the story I linked above.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/142346/kansas-meatpacking-somali-muslim-refugee-murder-plot-trump-supporters

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJ_Soul said:

It's covert ops type shit, they don't want everyone knowing how they do business.
    Spy movies aren't always that far from reality in some aspects.
    In many of these foiled terror plots, the terrorists have been led to action over months or years by undercover agents.  It's a big entrapment game.
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It's covert ops type shit, they don't want everyone knowing how they do business.
    Spy movies aren't always that far from reality in some aspects.
    In many of these foiled terror plots, the terrorists have been led to action over months or years by undercover agents.  It's a big entrapment game.
    Indeed.... which is largely where the Patriot Act comes in. I know that we had a bit of an issue with that recently, where a plot to bomb the BC Parliament buildings on Canada Day was foiled by undercover agents, but later during trial this became a bit of a problem because of entrapment issues. I doubt the US government agents have the same kind of problems (for better or worse, depending).
  • Man of the year:

The police said the father, driving a Toyota minivan, had dropped off the mother and the two younger children, ages 12 and 9, at the Indonesia Christian Church (to detonate themselves).

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/family-with-children-in-tow-carry-out-suicide-bombings-at-3-churches-in-indonesia/ar-AAxcq6q?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    What constitutes a Terrorist attack?
    edited May 2018
    Wounded Knee...could be classed as a Terrorist attack?...absolutely disgusting that is
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    i_lov_it said:
    Wounded Knee...could be classed as a Terrorist attack?...absolutely disgusting that is
    Would killing aborigines be considered a terrorist attack?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited May 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    Do you mean on the part of the Sioux?
    I consider Wounded Knee another part of the genocide carried out by the US government, as well as a battle between the US government and another sovereign nation. So if Wounded Knee was terrorism, then so was WWII, Vietnam, the holocaust, etc.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with this?
    PJ_Soul said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Do you mean on the part of the Sioux?
    I consider Wounded Knee another part of the genocide carried out by the US government, as well as a battle between the US government and another sovereign nation. So if Wounded Knee was terrorism, then so was WWII, Vietnam, the holocaust, etc.

Definitely Genocide no doubt about that...I'm trying to read up what constitutes a Terrorist attack and if Wounded Knee qualifies...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    i_lov_it said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with this?
    The Australians massacred aborigines for years just like the US did at Wounded Knee; would you consider aborigines being massacred a terrorist attack?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......