Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Nice work PM
    The White House has assured Canada that former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will not be appointed as U.S. ambassador to Canada.
    A Trudeau government official says that assurance was provided to Canadian officials during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit to the White House on Monday.
    “It isn’t Sarah Palin,” the official said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/sarah-palin-wont-be-named-us-ambassador-to-canada-official/article34012591/
  • Nice work PM
    The White House has assured Canada that former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will not be appointed as U.S. ambassador to Canada.
    A Trudeau government official says that assurance was provided to Canadian officials during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s visit to the White House on Monday.
    “It isn’t Sarah Palin,” the official said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/sarah-palin-wont-be-named-us-ambassador-to-canada-official/article34012591/

He's winning you over, eh?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Garland sentenced to three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole for 75 years for his triple murder.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/douglas-garland-sentenced-to-75-years-in-prison-before-parole/article34072135/

Seems a perfectly appropriate sentence to me. The public is protected from a guy who is apparently so unhinged that he nursed a grudge over a business deal into the murder of three people, including a child. Those pro-DP would likely prefer the DP, but setting that aside, what do you say about this one, particularly Thirty? No lattes and hugs from the court here.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Garland sentenced to three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole for 75 years for his triple murder.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/douglas-garland-sentenced-to-75-years-in-prison-before-parole/article34072135/

Seems a perfectly appropriate sentence to me. The public is protected from a guy who is apparently so unhinged that he nursed a grudge over a business deal into the murder of three people, including a child. Those pro-DP would likely prefer the DP, but setting that aside, what do you say about this one, particularly Thirty? No lattes and hugs from the court here.

I know of the case. He killed grandparents and a five year old right? He deserves worse. For what he could receive... I guess we should be satisfied. If I'm the dad... I think I'd be disappointed. I'd kinda want to smash his face in. F**king loser.

Watch the protection and 'extra' servicing we afford him so he has a safe and comfortable 75 years. Let's not be too quick to puff our chests out and act like we're tough on crime.

Garland sentenced to three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole for 75 years for his triple murder.

I know of the case. He killed grandparents and a five year old right? He deserves worse. For what he could receive... I guess we should be satisfied. If I'm the dad... I think I'd be disappointed. I'd kinda want to smash his face in. F**king loser.

Watch the protection and 'extra' servicing we afford him so he has a safe and comfortable 75 years. Let's not be too quick to puff our chests out and act like we're tough on crime.
    Speaking of points for persistence..... ;)
  • Garland sentenced to three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole for 75 years for his triple murder.

Speaking of points for persistence..... ;)
    Lol

It's a commitment to my value set, Often! It's hard work, but I'm up for the task.
  • Well...

Garland got his ass kicked last night in jail and was rushed to the hospital.

Looks like we didn't bend over backwards to ensure he has a smooth ride.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Well...

Came here to post this. Prison in Canada isn't as wonderful as some make it out to be.
  • dignin said:

Well...

Came here to post this. Prison in Canada isn't as wonderful as some make it out to be.
    For some, considering their offences, I'd beg to differ. For others, I'd agree. I don't feel an ounce of pity for Garland. If he took one of those beatings on a daily basis... I wouldn't give a shit. He tortured and murdered two grandparents and their 5 year old grandson.

I am going to recommend two books by the same author for first hand prison experiences: Go Boy and Bingo (Roger Caron). Bingo was an account of the Kingston Penitentiary Riot.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    ^^^
    I just wish the press doesn't keep bringing up this thing called a person everytime something happens.
    Shame on the press. This scum is to be forgotten. The sentence couldn't be any more clear.

dignin said:

Well...

For some, considering their offences, I'd beg to differ. For others, I'd agree. I don't feel an ounce of pity for Garland. If he took one of those beatings on a daily basis... I wouldn't give a shit. He tortured and murdered two grandparents and their 5 year old grandson.

I am going to recommend two books by the same author for first hand prison experiences: Go Boy and Bingo (Roger Caron). Bingo was an account of the Kingston Penitentiary Riot.
    I've been meaning to read Go Boy for years. Haven't gotten around to it. It joins the ever growing list of books that need reading.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    "Anti-Islamophobia" motion passed by House of Commons. Thoughts? I personally think there is indeed a bit of a problem with the language and the specific focus on Islam. Seems overly specific. I get it. I'm not offended. I just think it's weird and yes indeed, could lend itself to "over-persecution" in terms of freedom of speech. However, I'm not bent out of shape about it. I think people who REALLY seem pissed about this motion are basically xenophobes, TBH. And look at the voting stats mentioned in the article. Interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/m-103-islamophobia-motion-vote-1.4038016?cid=
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

"Anti-Islamophobia" motion passed by House of Commons. Thoughts? I personally think there is indeed a bit of a problem with the language and the specific focus on Islam. Seems overly specific. I get it. I'm not offended. I just think it's weird and yes indeed, could lend itself to "over-persecution" in terms of freedom of speech. However, I'm not bent out of shape about it. I think people who REALLY seem pissed about this motion are basically xenophobes, TBH. And look at the voting stats mentioned in the article. Interesting.

Freedom of speech like this? ""O Muslim, O servant of Allah, O Muslim, O servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him." I would want to persecute this individual for hate speech myself. Is that xenophobic thinking?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/imam-sermon-montreal-mosque-1.4037397
    edited March 2017

PJ_Soul said:

Freedom of speech like this? ""O Muslim, O servant of Allah, O Muslim, O servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him." I would want to persecute this individual for hate speech myself. Is that xenophobic thinking?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/imam-sermon-montreal-mosque-1.4037397
    Nope, not like that (and why the apparent need to reply with aggression right now?).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ^^^
    It's not aggression. I'm just pointing out what our CBC is reporting 2days or so before this law was passed.
    Do you think it would be wrong to persecute this individual for what he said?
    If yes, why?
    edited March 2017

^^^
    It's not aggression. I'm just pointing out what our CBC is reporting 2days or so before this law was passed.
    If yes, why?

I believe in persecuting hate speech, yes. I feel like incitement of hate, radicalization, or violence deserves prison time (or immediate deportation and a lifetime ban on reentering the country if the person isn't a citizen, although that is a tough subject. Deport them so they are free to recruit and shit, or impactful prison time in Canada (i.e. 10+ years) .... I figure prison time makes more sense in the long run, despite the sting of the prison bills).
  • PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    If yes, why?

I believe in persecuting hate speech, yes. I feel like incitement of hate, radicalization, or violence deserves prison time (or immediate deportation and a lifetime ban on reentering the country if the person isn't a citizen, although that is a tough subject. Deport them so they are free to recruit and shit, or impactful prison time in Canada (i.e. 10+ years) .... I figure prison time makes more sense in the long run, despite the sting of the prison bills).
    Should any of this happen to this guy?
    I'm hoping we actually mean prosecute and not persecute.
    edited March 2017

PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    If yes, why?

Is he even still in Canada? He was just visiting from Jordan back in December, so I think the question is moot ... Certainly, any Imam (or anyone else) who incites hate and/or violence should not be allowed in Canada in the first place, but if they come to Canada and commit hate crimes (or any crime), yeah, they should be arrested and tried IMO. And I feel like law enforcement is REALLY slow when it comes to hate crimes. They are too hesitant just to call a hate crime a hate crime most of the time, even when it's a violent attack, let alone hate speech. I don't expect the authorities to really ever act fast enough or seriously enough for those who spread hate propaganda to have anything happen to them, especially not if they are visiting from another country. By the time the police have decided to file charges, the person will be long gone if they have half a brain.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

I'm hoping we actually mean prosecute and not persecute.

Haha. Prosecute, I'm assuming! ;)
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    If yes, why?

Is he even still in Canada? He was just visiting from Jordan back in December, so I think the question is moot ... Certainly, any Imam (or anyone else) who incites hate and/or violence should not be allowed in Canada in the first place, but if they come to Canada and commit hate crimes (or any crime), yeah, they should be arrested and tried IMO. And I feel like law enforcement is REALLY slow when it comes to hate crimes. They are too hesitant just to call a hate crime a hate crime most of the time, even when it's a violent attack, let alone hate speech. I don't expect the authorities to really ever act fast enough or seriously enough for those who spread hate propaganda to have anything happen to them, especially not if they are visiting from another country. By the time the police have decided to file charges, the person will be long gone if they have half a brain.
    Should the guy who invited him to speak be questioned or monitored now?
    If no, why?

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    If yes, why?

Should the guy who invited him to speak be questioned or monitored now?
    If no, why?
    The mosque should be and is being investigated.
    Someone is spying on cell phones around Canada's Parliament buildings.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/imsi-cellphones-spying-ottawa-1.4050049?cid=

edited April 2017
    RCMP admits secretly surveilling cell phones (haven't researched this enough to know if I'm cool with it or not; if used responsibly and legally, I guess it might be fine and good for fighting crime), but they aren't the ones doing it around Parliament in Ottawa. So it seems someone else (foreign entities?) are spying on cell phones in and around Parliament.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-surveillance-imsi-catcher-mdi-stingray-cellphone-1.4056750?cid=
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul said:

RCMP admits secretly surveilling cell phones (haven't researched this enough to know if I'm cool with it or not; if used responsibly and legally, I guess it might be fine and good for fighting crime), but they aren't the ones doing it around Parliament in Ottawa. So it seems someone else (foreign entities?) are spying on cell phones in and around Parliament.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/rcmp-surveillance-imsi-catcher-mdi-stingray-cellphone-1.4056750?cid=

you shouldn't be cool with it ... it's one thing to have a specific case that warrants that action but it's another when at any given time your privacy and rights are breached ...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

you shouldn't be cool with it ... it's one thing to have a specific case that warrants that action but it's another when at any given time your privacy and rights are breached ...
    yeah, I've got nothing to hide, but not a big fan of this.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2017

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

All I'm saying is that I don't know enough about the specifics to really form an opinion.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

All I'm saying is that I don't know enough about the specifics to really form an opinion.
    fair enough
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm confident in my own belief that we as ordinary citizens are not being surveilled on our cell phones just because they can.
    If this were a common way of thinking no one would own a cell phone.
    edited April 2017