______ is on my turntable right now.

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White--Live At Third Man Records

First spin! Sounds great!

Is that the lenticular cover? Doesn't look it but I'm pretty sure that's the only release.
    lolobugg said:

Wilco- Schmilco

Wilco always does it right by vinyl, but Schmilco is extra special imo.
    No idea, but it sounds fantastic
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited April 2017
    DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Is that the lenticular cover? Doesn't look it but I'm pretty sure that's the only release.
    There are some bootlegs of it going around. You can read about them here.
    http://thirdmanstore.com/thevault/home/show/blackwells-record-of-the-week-14

From the 01/20/2017 BLACKWELL'S RECORD OF THE WEEK blog:
    Jack White
    Live at Third Man 2 x 12” and Blunderbuss demos 7”
    COUNTERFEIT

So the drive home for the holidays was a dream. I flew the girls and mother-in-law up to Detroit and packed the family Flex with sundry goods and a smattering of Christmas presents which would all get wrapped at the last possible moment before their opening. So that left me, paternity leave winding down, with a solitary drive from Nashville to suburban Detroit. This was my last stand.

There were drive through A&W cheese curds. A stop in Cave City where I bought switchblades, stiletto/lighter combos, brass knuckles and a $16 crossbow from a kind man who had no legs. Arby’s. But the highlight for me would be hitting Shake It Records in Cincinnati. I hadn’t been since Dirtbombs tour ’08 and some time to just decompress flipping through those stacks would be a perfect halfway point celebration.

Man, Shake It Records is soooooo perfect. I love the place hardcore. Exactly what a record store should be.

So I stock up…the 7” dollar bin is beautiful, a copy of Cope’s Compendium, Manson Family LP, a used Komeda LP, and other assorted slickness all happily fill my bag. A cursory look through the White Stripes/Jack White section turns up a copy of the 2xLP live at Third Man Vault #14 release. Priced $45. “Not bad for a used copy,” I think to myself.

But something feels off.

There’s no lenticular cover.

“Oh, but we actually printed underneath the lenticular” I remind myself. (also…yeah, we printed underneath the lenticular. Surprise!)

“But wait a minute…we didn’t just print the photo” I internally monologue (and yeah…totally different image underneath the lenticular. Surprise!)

The entire thing is a super-high-gloss that I don’t recall us ever using on any release. As the person who was probably most involved in the total sum of the parts of this package, my brain is really confused and taxed at this point, unable to really figure out what the fuck is going on.

Thankfully packaged in a resealable plastic sleeve, I open the baby up to examine more closely.

I peek into one of the jacket pockets and see a TMR 7” company sleeve with the Blunderbuss Demos single tucked inside.

“Well who would go through the trouble of all THAT versus just making the 2xLP?” my brain rages on.

Finally, the only true indicator I can ever trust or believe in…the run-out groove etching.

The dead wax of the LPs…nothing. And shitty center labels on top of it. The single says…MADE IN UK!

Then and only then did it finally hit me…WE’VE BEEN PIRATED!

This just wasn’t a run-of-the-mill bootleg, where someone takes an unauthorized recording, radio session, singles compilation, puts their own artwork together and presses it up in the “fan club” intention. No…someone went through extreme pains to try and match everything on an authorized, legal release and pass it off as legitimate. This is pirating. This is counterfeiting…the kinda shit that organized crime partakes in with Louis Vuitton bags.

The initial feeling is incensed. That quickly subsides and I feel…flattered. In some weird way, I feel like this is a sign that we’ve made it. That the Vault has really established itself. A wry smile crosses my face. I’m happy about the existence of this, but not happy about it being sold and potentially fooling folks.

So I bring it up to the counter, ask for the big wigs, explain the deal to them and they’re legitimately intrigued. I’ve heard plenty of stories of artists outright TAKING releases of this nature out of record stores. I ain’t that bold (or the artist) so I said to them, “Listen, please don’t order this again. I want this record, but I will not pay $45 for it. I’ll pay your cost.” Jim and Darren Blase, brothers and co-owners of the shop were completely understanding, solid dudes of the highest order who were more than conciliatory in their offer.

One of them grabbed a box sitting behind the counter, a collection of detritus, oddities, forgotten ephemera and just general shit fished out of LP jackets. After rooting around for a second he pulls out what I surmise is a 1970s era American Airlines luggage tag. Written widely on it is “Bo Diddley Archer FLA.” I take all of a half-second to recognize “Oh shit…that’s clearly hand-written by Bo Diddley!”

Being the dudest of dudes, Jim says “It’s yours. Take it.”

So Mabel’s first Christmas and Violet’s fourth were beautiful and full of happy memories made with family and friends and the framed Bo Diddley luggage tag will serve to remind me of that in a odd, roundabout manner, as an indirect showcase of how we got there.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Beatles - White Album
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ-Riot Act
    Queens-Like Clockwork
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

So the drive home for the holidays was a dream. I flew the girls and mother-in-law up to Detroit and packed the family Flex with sundry goods and a smattering of Christmas presents which would all get wrapped at the last possible moment before their opening. So that left me, paternity leave winding down, with a solitary drive from Nashville to suburban Detroit. This was my last stand.

There were drive through A&W cheese curds. A stop in Cave City where I bought switchblades, stiletto/lighter combos, brass knuckles and a $16 crossbow from a kind man who had no legs. Arby’s. But the highlight for me would be hitting Shake It Records in Cincinnati. I hadn’t been since Dirtbombs tour ’08 and some time to just decompress flipping through those stacks would be a perfect halfway point celebration.

Man, Shake It Records is soooooo perfect. I love the place hardcore. Exactly what a record store should be.

So I stock up…the 7” dollar bin is beautiful, a copy of Cope’s Compendium, Manson Family LP, a used Komeda LP, and other assorted slickness all happily fill my bag. A cursory look through the White Stripes/Jack White section turns up a copy of the 2xLP live at Third Man Vault #14 release. Priced $45. “Not bad for a used copy,” I think to myself.

But something feels off.

“Oh, but we actually printed underneath the lenticular” I remind myself. (also…yeah, we printed underneath the lenticular. Surprise!)

“But wait a minute…we didn’t just print the photo” I internally monologue (and yeah…totally different image underneath the lenticular. Surprise!)

The entire thing is a super-high-gloss that I don’t recall us ever using on any release. As the person who was probably most involved in the total sum of the parts of this package, my brain is really confused and taxed at this point, unable to really figure out what the fuck is going on.

Thankfully packaged in a resealable plastic sleeve, I open the baby up to examine more closely.

I peek into one of the jacket pockets and see a TMR 7” company sleeve with the Blunderbuss Demos single tucked inside.

“Well who would go through the trouble of all THAT versus just making the 2xLP?” my brain rages on.

Finally, the only true indicator I can ever trust or believe in…the run-out groove etching.

The dead wax of the LPs…nothing. And shitty center labels on top of it. The single says…MADE IN UK!

This just wasn’t a run-of-the-mill bootleg, where someone takes an unauthorized recording, radio session, singles compilation, puts their own artwork together and presses it up in the “fan club” intention. No…someone went through extreme pains to try and match everything on an authorized, legal release and pass it off as legitimate. This is pirating. This is counterfeiting…the kinda shit that organized crime partakes in with Louis Vuitton bags.

The initial feeling is incensed. That quickly subsides and I feel…flattered. In some weird way, I feel like this is a sign that we’ve made it. That the Vault has really established itself. A wry smile crosses my face. I’m happy about the existence of this, but not happy about it being sold and potentially fooling folks.

So I bring it up to the counter, ask for the big wigs, explain the deal to them and they’re legitimately intrigued. I’ve heard plenty of stories of artists outright TAKING releases of this nature out of record stores. I ain’t that bold (or the artist) so I said to them, “Listen, please don’t order this again. I want this record, but I will not pay $45 for it. I’ll pay your cost.” Jim and Darren Blase, brothers and co-owners of the shop were completely understanding, solid dudes of the highest order who were more than conciliatory in their offer.

One of them grabbed a box sitting behind the counter, a collection of detritus, oddities, forgotten ephemera and just general shit fished out of LP jackets. After rooting around for a second he pulls out what I surmise is a 1970s era American Airlines luggage tag. Written widely on it is “Bo Diddley Archer FLA.” I take all of a half-second to recognize “Oh shit…that’s clearly hand-written by Bo Diddley!”

So Mabel’s first Christmas and Violet’s fourth were beautiful and full of happy memories made with family and friends and the framed Bo Diddley luggage tag will serve to remind me of that in a odd, roundabout manner, as an indirect showcase of how we got there.
    yeah....I did some research after Dewie asked about the cover.

Looks like I have a bootleg copy. Damnit. Oh well...still sounds good & was only $30. Another tell tale is the Vault is a black/blue split...and this is not. Pretty impressive work for a bootleg & yes, it has the 7" as well. Oh well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

But something feels off.

that's an amazing story. and proof of how artists and record stores can co-exist and stomp out bootlegs without going all "Dave Matthews Band" on them.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

But something feels off.

that's an amazing story. and proof of how artists and record stores can co-exist and stomp out bootlegs without going all "Dave Matthews Band" on them.
    I think DMB had every right to go after the piraters who were monetizing their work. But regarding the record stores, a lot of people missed that the demand letter to the stores was sent by an over-zealous staff attorney and when teh band found out, they pulled the plug on that threat and only planned to file injunctions to prevent any future sales. I don't know if the injunction was ever settled but I never heard about any store getting a judgment or even a hearing.
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

But something feels off.

I think DMB had every right to go after the piraters who were monetizing their work. But regarding the record stores, a lot of people missed that the demand letter to the stores was sent by an over-zealous staff attorney and when teh band found out, they pulled the plug on that threat and only planned to file injunctions to prevent any future sales. I don't know if the injunction was ever settled but I never heard about any store getting a judgment or even a hearing.

Yep,
    old Dave has gotten some really bad legal advice over the years.
    everything seems forgiven now.
    I surprised you even knew what I was talking about. :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

But something feels off.

Yep,
    My PJ knowledge is only matched by DMB, Zep and Floyd...

I imagine it's very difficult for bands like PJ, Neil, Dave, who tend to be very socially conscious, to straddle the line between running their business (and their legitimate interests in protecting themselves from those that seek to profit from them illegally) and not coming off like a bunch of rich assholes. Some, like Metallica or GnR, are just assholes, but some are trying to find that balance, I believe.
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

DewieCox said:

mfc2006 said:

Jack White
    COUNTERFEIT

But something feels off.

Yep,
    My PJ knowledge is only matched by DMB, Zep and Floyd...

I imagine it's very difficult for bands like PJ, Neil, Dave, who tend to be very socially conscious, to straddle the line between running their business (and their legitimate interests in protecting themselves from those that seek to profit from them illegally) and not coming off like a bunch of rich assholes. Some, like Metallica or GnR, are just assholes, but some are trying to find that balance, I believe.

Dig it,
    I met Dave in 1999 and found him to be a genuinely nice guy.
    now if I could only find the picture I took with him.
    talk about losing something really cool.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Aerosmith - Get Your Wings (side 2)
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350

6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center

RP112579 said:

me too. just busted it out of the shrink wrap.
    seemed like a good time to play it on HOF week.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    non stop doors this morning. I think I finally got them. Damn they are good!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Banjo time!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    With the great news that QOTSA are heading to New Zealand..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    reesdog said:

With a new album on the way... Twenty-five? Hoping for a fall US tour.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

With a new album on the way... Twenty-five? Hoping for a fall US tour.
    Yep, it's all looking promising..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    Elliott Smith--Figure 8 (2017 colored reissue)

Sounds fucking great!! Now my Elliott collection is complete!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Spoon--Hot Thoughts
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Johnny Cash @ Folsom prison
    & San Quinton​. Yes this man is truly special.

• BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    White Stripes...De Stijl

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    45 rpm
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    gold vinyl limited edition a song called just because written by joel plaskett with all proceeds going to gord downie & chanie wenjack fund
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Rush - Permanent Waves (side 2)
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    I've had this CD for a couple decades, but I just got the vinyl of Johnny Cash @ Folsom Prison.
    You just can't beat the vibe & energy of this show, combined with John Cash's compassion for people. The show closer really moved me, I hope that it moves you.
    Greystone Chapel

https://youtu.be/0Ub3RiVLO4I