R.E.M - Where to start?

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I am jealous of you seeing those early tours. would give anything to have attended just one show from the Reconstruction Tour. some of my fave bootlegs.
    I didn't get to see them until the MONSTER tour. just glad I got to see all 4 original mbrs before Bill left.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Start in the place where you live
    Now face north
    Think about direction
    Wonder why you haven't before

Now start in the place where you work
    Now face west
    Think about the place where you live

If you are confused, check with the sun
    Carry a compass to help you along
    Your feet are going to be on the ground
    Your head is there to move you around

So start in the place where you live
    Now face north
    Think about direction

Now face west

If wishes were trees, the trees would be falling
    Listen to reason, season is calling

Now face north
    Think about direction

Now face west

If wishes were trees, the trees would be falling
    Listen to reason, reason is calling

So start (Start!)
    Now face north
    Think about direction

Now start (Start!)
    Now face west
    Wonder why you haven't

Now face north
    Think about direction

Now stand in the place where you work
    Now face west

Start in the place where you are
    Now face north
    Start in the place where you are
    Now face west
    (Start in the place where you are)
    Your head is there to move you around, so start
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    like Pavement said....Time After Time is my least favorite song........ and it still kicks ASS
    Excellent album! One of their best. I saw them tour for that record. It was great. Stipe hung on/held onto/leaned on the mic stand like it was his last safe refuge- but he sounded great. Buck, Mills and Berry were just flat our cool. They jammed with Gang of Four for the encore. Crazy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    like Pavement said....Time After Time is my least favorite song........ and it still kicks ASS
    Excellent album! One of their best. I saw them tour for that record. It was great. Stipe hung on/held onto/leaned on the mic stand like it was his last safe refuge- but he sounded great. Buck, Mills and Berry were just flat our cool. They jammed with Gang of Four for the encore. Crazy!
    Jealous of you too, Brian... I have a video bootleg of them around that time playing a festival in Athens. basically just them on a flatbed trailer. so laid back.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    Jealous of you too, Brian... I have a video bootleg of them around that time playing a festival in Athens. basically just them on a flatbed trailer. so laid back.
    Simply an "accident of birth", lolbugg. I'm that old. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    I resemble that remark as well!! :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    I have a refrigerator magnet that says "Yeah, I'm old, but that means I saw all the cool bands" so yeah, it's a great club to belong to!

You know what I always wonder though... were the 70s, 80s and 90s just THAT full of amazing bands... or will the folks who are teenagers and 20 today be saying the same things about some current bands in the year 2047?
    JH6056 said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......
    I have a refrigerator magnet that says "Yeah, I'm old, but that means I saw all the cool bands" so yeah, it's a great club to belong to!

You know what I always wonder though... were the 70s, 80s and 90s just THAT full of amazing bands... or will the folks who are teenagers and 20 today be saying the same things about some current bands in the year 2047?
    Oh, that's too funny! My wife got me a t-shirt that says basically the same: "I may be old but at least I got to see all the cool bands." Only problem is when I wear it, sure enough someone will come up and ask if I've see so-and-so. They always seem to pick someone I missed!

"will the folks who are teenagers and 20 today be saying the same things about some current bands in the year 2047?"
    Now that is a great question! I wondered about that as well. We've talked about it a number of times over on the Steve Hoffman TV Forum (excellent music forum!). Some people will say, oh yeah, they will rave about such-and-such a hip hop or pop artist but in the last twenty years has there been an artist that made an impact as big as Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, or The Doors? Sadly, I can only think of maybe one: Pearl Jam. I wish I could honestly say there were others.

brianlux said:

JH6056 said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

brianlux said:

lolobugg said:

derbydave said:

Reckoning!!!!

MY Fave......

Oh, that's too funny! My wife got me a t-shirt that says basically the same: "I may be old but at least I got to see all the cool bands." Only problem is when I wear it, sure enough someone will come up and ask if I've see so-and-so. They always seem to pick someone I missed!

"will the folks who are teenagers and 20 today be saying the same things about some current bands in the year 2047?"
    Now that is a great question! I wondered about that as well. We've talked about it a number of times over on the Steve Hoffman TV Forum (excellent music forum!). Some people will say, oh yeah, they will rave about such-and-such a hip hop or pop artist but in the last twenty years has there been an artist that made an impact as big as Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Stones, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, or The Doors? Sadly, I can only think of maybe one: Pearl Jam. I wish I could honestly say there were others.
    See, and I'm not even thinking on that level. I can't even think of who is around today that people will be talking about in 20 yrs who is on the same level as: The Clash, Elvis Costello, Jeff Buckley, The Fugees live (OMG they were PHENOMENAL live), The Roots, Radiohead, The Replacements (on a good night), even bands that not everyone on this board will know but who killed it live and on at least a couple recordings, like Uncle Tupelo, the Afghan Whigs, The Kills (on a great night - no idea how they are now)...

Who in the world is out now who's even close to as good as any of those bands? And I know we don't all agree on the "fantastic-ness" of the bands just listed, but most music-heads will at least agree that a strong case can be made for the talent/innovation/fire of those artists/bands...

Kendrick Lamar, he's the only artist out now that I think most see as truly groundbreaking and incredibly talented (again, I know we don't all agree on that but still)... Is there anyone else?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Thanks to this thread, I was finally motivated to listen to the REM catalog from the beginning. Very impressed with everything leading up to Automatic For the People. I had really only known the radio hits from the earlier albums and never really liked their 90's stuff beyond Automatic so it was refreshing to see how much I missed in those early years. Love Document; great album. Everything from The Reckoning to Green is the best stuff. Can't believe I missed out on this growing up. Now I see why people like them so much.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

Thanks to this thread, I was finally motivated to listen to the REM catalog from the beginning. Very impressed with everything leading up to Automatic For the People. I had really only known the radio hits from the earlier albums and never really liked their 90's stuff beyond Automatic so it was refreshing to see how much I missed in those early years. Love Document; great album. Everything from The Reckoning to Green is the best stuff. Can't believe I missed out on this growing up. Now I see why people like them so much.

glad to hear it. they are my fave band by far mostly due to their early albums. amazing songs. welcome to the club.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    new adventures is a class record
    "New Test Leper" is as great a song as they have every released.
    even more relevant today than maybe 1996 when it was released.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Maybe because I've never really been an R.E.M. fan, but I always liked Up the best
    edited March 2017

Maybe because I've never really been an R.E.M. fan, but I always liked Up the best

Up is also amazing. did that one right after Bill Berry left.
    he was a lot more than just a drummer. you can tell be the direction they took on UP.
    just a really chill album and that tour was great.

Shit, the only real REM album that I don't like is Reveal. and I hate it.
    I love every single other record they have put out. seriously

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    pdalowsky said:

+1
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

pdalowsky said:

+1
    +1k
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    lolobugg said:

Maybe because I've never really been an R.E.M. fan, but I always liked Up the best

he was a lot more than just a drummer. you can tell be the direction they took on UP.

I think the lead single (the name escapes me) was super late 60's Beach Boys pop awesome and "I'll Take the Rain" could easily have been on the back half of AFTP or OOT
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    lolobugg said:

I like Reveal. Up and Around the Sun are just too slow and droning for my taste. They got back on track with Accelerate and I really like Collapse Into Now- the best of the all the post Berry albums.
    Somewhere, maybe in another thread, there was a conversation about best ever live concerts we've seen. I've said in a couple of REM threads here that I've seen over 1,500 concerts so far in my life and a single REM show remains the most dialed in, transported, transcendental show I've ever been to.

Last night I was lucky to be at a Radiohead concert in Portland because Radiohead is another of the top 5 shows I've ever seen of those 1,500+. I have been thinking a lot about those top 5 artists, REM in particular because they're #1, and I hadn't seen Radiohead in some 13 or more years so I was soooo very stoked for the show last night thinking about them and REM.

So I'm at the Moda Center in Portland last night for Radiohead pondering REM and the other shows and there near one of the beer gardens I spy Peter freaking Buck! (And Scott McCaughey who was practically an official member of REM by the time they broke up). I'm thinking "What are the fucking odds I'd run into a member of REM in Portland???" I went up to him and said "My mind is totally blown that I'm seeing you here, a past Radiohead show holds one of my top 5 concerts ever spot, but a specific REM show holds the #1 spot and I've been thinking about that." Buck asks "Which show?" and I explain which show, AND HE FREAKING REMEMBERS THE SHOW, THAT SPECIFIC SHOW, SAYS A COUPLE OF THINGS ABOUT IT!!! No joke, the show was 30 years ago, it was in '87, and the Radiohead show in the top 5 was in 2001 or 2002 I think... and there I am at a Radiohead show talking to Peter Buck about my most incredible single concert ever and he's talking BACK about the same show!!!

The conversation itself wasn't that long, but how often do we get to tell an artist or member of one of our favorite bands about our favorite show ever and discuss it with them? I'm just feeling incredibly blessed and blown away that it happened at a Radiohead concert.

And.. as the couple next to me in my seats told me, no surprise to run into Peter Buck here, he lives in Portland some of the time and plays locally a lot. I had no idea.

And ithe show I spoke to him about was on the Document tour, 2nd NYC show at Radio City Music Hall.

Here's the setlist:
    Finest Worksong
    These Days
    Pilgrimage
    Disturbance at the Heron House
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Orange Crush
    Feeling Gravitys Pull
    The Flowers of Guatemala
    Fireplace
    Tired of Singing Trouble
    I Believe
    Maps and Legends
    Driver 8
    Superman
    (The Clique cover)
    Pretty Persuasion
    Oddfellows Local 151
    It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
    Begin the Begin

Encore:
    Strange
    (Wire cover)
    Title
    Fall on Me

Encore 2:
    We Walk
    (with Natalie Merchant)
    See No Evil
    (Television cover)

Encore 3:
    Harpers
    (Hugo Largo cover)
    Crazy
    (Pylon cover)
    The One I Love
    edited April 2017
    JH6056 said:

Somewhere, maybe in another thread, there was a conversation about best ever live concerts we've seen. I've said in a couple of REM threads here that I've seen over 1,500 concerts so far in my life and a single REM show remains the most dialed in, transported, transcendental show I've ever been to.

Last night I was lucky to be at a Radiohead concert in Portland because Radiohead is another of the top 5 shows I've ever seen of those 1,500+. I have been thinking a lot about those top 5 artists, REM in particular because they're #1, and I hadn't seen Radiohead in some 13 or more years so I was soooo very stoked for the show last night thinking about them and REM.

So I'm at the Moda Center in Portland last night for Radiohead pondering REM and the other shows and there near one of the beer gardens I spy Peter freaking Buck! (And Scott McCaughey who was practically an official member of REM by the time they broke up). I'm thinking "What are the fucking odds I'd run into a member of REM in Portland???" I went up to him and said "My mind is totally blown that I'm seeing you here, a past Radiohead show holds one of my top 5 concerts ever spot, but a specific REM show holds the #1 spot and I've been thinking about that." Buck asks "Which show?" and I explain which show, AND HE FREAKING REMEMBERS THE SHOW, THAT SPECIFIC SHOW, SAYS A COUPLE OF THINGS ABOUT IT!!! No joke, the show was 30 years ago, it was in '87, and the Radiohead show in the top 5 was in 2001 or 2002 I think... and there I am at a Radiohead show talking to Peter Buck about my most incredible single concert ever and he's talking BACK about the same show!!!

The conversation itself wasn't that long, but how often do we get to tell an artist or member of one of our favorite bands about our favorite show ever and discuss it with them? I'm just feeling incredibly blessed and blown away that it happened at a Radiohead concert.

And.. as the couple next to me in my seats told me, no surprise to run into Peter Buck here, he lives in Portland some of the time and plays locally a lot. I had no idea.

And ithe show I spoke to him about was on the Document tour, 2nd NYC show at Radio City Music Hall.

Here's the setlist:
    Finest Worksong
    These Days
    Pilgrimage
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Orange Crush
    Feeling Gravitys Pull
    The Flowers of Guatemala
    Fireplace
    Tired of Singing Trouble
    I Believe
    Maps and Legends
    Driver 8
    Superman
    (The Clique cover)
    Pretty Persuasion
    Oddfellows Local 151
    Begin the Begin

Encore:
    Strange
    (Wire cover)
    Title
    Fall on Me

Encore 2:
    We Walk
    (with Natalie Merchant)
    See No Evil
    (Television cover)

Encore 3:
    Harpers
    (Hugo Largo cover)
    Crazy
    (Pylon cover)
    The One I Love

What a great story and how cool to meet Peter freakin' Buck!! Thanks for sharing it! Very cool.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    That's an incredible story, man. I've always imagined R.E.M. to be the most down to earth band as individuals. Good to know that they really are as they are in my head.
    Thanks to both of you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes they were very down to earth, especially Bill Berry and Peter Buck. It was such a pleasure to have that run in. Thanks for letting me tell that story here to fellow fans who appreciate it!
    edited April 2017
    JH6056 said:

Here's the setlist:
    Finest Worksong
    These Days
    Pilgrimage
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Orange Crush
    Feeling Gravitys Pull
    The Flowers of Guatemala
    Fireplace
    Tired of Singing Trouble
    I Believe
    Maps and Legends
    Driver 8
    Superman
    (The Clique cover)
    Pretty Persuasion
    Oddfellows Local 151
    Begin the Begin

Encore:
    Strange
    (Wire cover)
    Title
    Fall on Me

Encore 2:
    We Walk
    (with Natalie Merchant)
    See No Evil
    (Television cover)

Encore 3:
    Harpers
    (Hugo Largo cover)
    Crazy
    (Pylon cover)
    The One I Love

That's a great story. I met Peter, Scott and Mike around 2002 and both were super cool guys.
    funny that you mention that those bands are some of your favorites live concerts.
    my 2nd concert ever was REM/Radiohead in 1995 on the Monster tour.
    pretty much launched my obsession with both bands. I miss those days... and I miss REM so much.
    wow and what a setlist you got in 87. We Walk!!!!!
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

JH6056 said:

Here's the setlist:
    Finest Worksong
    These Days
    Pilgrimage
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Orange Crush
    Feeling Gravitys Pull
    The Flowers of Guatemala
    Fireplace
    Tired of Singing Trouble
    I Believe
    Maps and Legends
    Driver 8
    Superman
    (The Clique cover)
    Pretty Persuasion
    Oddfellows Local 151
    Begin the Begin

Encore:
    Strange
    (Wire cover)
    Title
    Fall on Me

Encore 2:
    We Walk
    (with Natalie Merchant)
    See No Evil
    (Television cover)

Encore 3:
    Harpers
    (Hugo Largo cover)
    Crazy
    (Pylon cover)
    The One I Love

That's a great story. I met Peter, Scott and Mike around 2002 and both were super cool guys.
    funny that you mention that those bands are some of your favorites live concerts.
    my 2nd concert ever was REM/Radiohead in 1995 on the Monster tour.
    pretty much launched my obsession with both bands. I miss those days... and I miss REM so much.
    wow and what a setlist you got in 87. We Walk!!!!!
    What??? Waaaaait a second... I saw 5 shows on the Monster tour... I will positively curl up, cry, and not get out of bed for a week if it turns out Radiohead was the opener for any of those!!! Where did you see them lolobugg?

Also funny, another joyous (or at least therapeutic) moment at the Portland show was sitting next to a guy who we had a painful Radiohead regret in common (which may be why I don't remember Radiohead opening), in '93 or so, I went to see the band Belly play and this band Radiohead opened for them. I was thoroughly UNimpressed (then again I hated REM when I first heard them, so I'm a slow learner). Unrelated, a friend who's a musician said in '94ish that if I ever got the chance to see a guy named David Gray live, I should. Then in about '95ish David Gray's name was in the paper and I actually said "Dammit, he's coming but he's opening for that band Radiohead that I don't like!" As I told the guy the story he said "This happened to me too! I listened to all of Pablo Honey, said "Eh... naaaw", then when they came again on The Bends in '95 to a small tiny club, I could have gone but i passed." Well, I did even worse, I WENT, watched all of David Gray's set, then watched 4 Radiohead songs and LEFT. ON THE BENDS TOUR, WHICH IS NOW MY 2ND FAVORITE RADIOHEAD ALBUM!!!

Sooooo, that's all a long way of saying, if they did open at any shows I saw, I probably said "Oh no, forget it, we'll skip the opening band and just get there for REM."

Thanks for ERASING the therapeutic healing feeling I had after Portland lolobugg by now ripping open the wound all over again!!! :):)
    I had to drive my wife's car today while mine was in the shop and her CD player is broken so I turned on the radio. I'm really not a fan of radio though because it used to be so good and now... well anyway, BIG SURPRISE! The first song that came on was "Orange Crush". I have that record (which I love also because the cover is orange and the label is green!) and always liked it A LOT but I hadn't heard Crush in s-o-o-o-o long and, man, it just rocked me right up and down! Sweet!

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    brianlux said:

I had to drive my wife's car today while mine was in the shop and her CD player is broken so I turned on the radio. I'm really not a fan of radio though because it used to be so good and now... well anyway, BIG SURPRISE! The first song that came on was "Orange Crush". I have that record (which I love also because the cover is orange and the label is green!) and always liked it A LOT but I hadn't heard Crush in s-o-o-o-o long and, man, it just rocked me right up and down! Sweet!

Awesome! I just listened to Green and Document today. Such great albums.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    brianlux said:

Yes, sometimes a ghost gets into car stereos and makes something good come on! Nice story!

Hey lolobugg, I don't know whether I'm totally relieved or completely depressed, guess what I found? Check out the dates and the openers (I saw the Boston Fleet Center show):

1 October 1995 - The Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, CT
    support: Radiohead

set: I Took Your Name / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / The Wake-Up Bomb / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Orange Crush / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Pop Song 89 / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Get Up / Star 69
    encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Java - Band Intro / Begin The Begin / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
    notes: At the end of Radiohead's opening set, all the members of R.E.M. came onstage with champagne and celebrated with Radiohead, as it was their last show supporting

3 October 1995 - FleetCenter, Boston, MA
    support: Grant Lee Buffalo

set: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / I Took Your Name / The Wake-Up Bomb / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Orange Crush / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Pop Song 89 / Get Up / Star 69
    encore: Let Me In / Everybody Hurts / Java - Band Intro / Begin The Begin / Departure / It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
    JH6056 said:

brianlux said:

Yes, sometimes a ghost gets into car stereos and makes something good come on! Nice story!

Hey lolobugg, I don't know whether I'm totally relieved or completely depressed, guess what I found? Check out the dates and the openers (I saw the Boston Fleet Center show):

1 October 1995 - The Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, CT
    support: Radiohead

set: I Took Your Name / What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / The Wake-Up Bomb / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Orange Crush / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Pop Song 89 / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Get Up / Star 69
    notes: At the end of Radiohead's opening set, all the members of R.E.M. came onstage with champagne and celebrated with Radiohead, as it was their last show supporting

3 October 1995 - FleetCenter, Boston, MA
    support: Grant Lee Buffalo

set: What's The Frequency, Kenneth? / Crush With Eyeliner / Drive / I Took Your Name / The Wake-Up Bomb / Binky The Doormat / Losing My Religion / Bang And Blame / Undertow / Orange Crush / Strange Currencies / Revolution / Tongue / Man On The Moon / Country Feedback / The One I Love / Pop Song 89 / Get Up / Star 69
    I saw them in Birmingham Alabama on September 12 1995. a day that I will never forget.
    saw PJ in New Orleans on September 17 1995 less than a week later. the Ramones were opening.
    those were my sister's first two concerts EVER!!! can you believe that? crazy times.

and sorry for freaking you out. looks like Grant Lee Buffalo had taken over by the time you saw them.
    I am still jealous of those Document era shows you saw........

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JH6056 said:

Here's the setlist:
    Finest Worksong
    These Days
    Pilgrimage
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Orange Crush
    Feeling Gravitys Pull
    The Flowers of Guatemala
    Fireplace
    Tired of Singing Trouble
    I Believe
    Maps and Legends
    Driver 8
    Superman
    (The Clique cover)
    Pretty Persuasion
    Oddfellows Local 151
    Begin the Begin

Encore:
    Strange
    (Wire cover)
    Title
    Fall on Me

Encore 2:
    We Walk
    (with Natalie Merchant)
    See No Evil
    (Television cover)

Encore 3:
    Harpers
    (Hugo Largo cover)
    Crazy
    (Pylon cover)
    The One I Love

what a story. a local band from Winnipeg, The Watchmen, who actually got very big in Canada in the 90's, are massive fans of REM. They often play REM songs live (they did actually, just this past Saturday-Disturbance at the Heron House). you may want to check them out if you get the chance.

www.the-watchmen.com
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD