New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
Denver 10-22-14

Is Pearl Jam the GOAT? 35 votes

Yes
28%
igotid88dannydimitrispearljamFlying MXZMalrothleekstokieseanwonBRWillySmallestOceanseRock10 10 votes
Absolutely
17%
GeorgiePA JammerRS65573Mike's SidePapdrakeheuer14 6 votes
Of Course
0%
Definitely
8%
2-feign-reluctancekramer73Smellyman 3 votes
Unquestionably
45%
my2handstunodamaiguypjfreakcropdustdairpdalowskyScreaming TreeBSullydmaradona10Stixumjeff2040Garasaurasjoseph33whoanelly15Flameryriley540RideTheWave93 16 votes

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886
    Greatest of their generation.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    edited March 2017
    Greatest in regards to overall world impact. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are thought of as the greatest musically because of their affect on music and the generations after them. What other band has done so much in so many aspects? Amazing careers, amazing albums, live recordings, 3+ hour concerts night after night with different set-lists, standing up for others politically and socially, charitable work, inspiring others, caring about the environment, being fan-friendly with the 10c etc....should I keep going? There's lots of bands that are more famous and more known over the years for their music but when you look at their collective existence, I say GOAT!!
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Of their generation, I'd say it's between them and U2.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847

Greatest in regards to overall world impact. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are thought of as the greatest musically because of their affect on music and the generations after them. What other band has done so much in so many aspects? Amazing careers, amazing albums, live recordings, 3+ hour concerts night after night with different set-lists, standing up for others politically and socially, charitable work, inspiring others, caring about the environment, being fan-friendly with the 10c etc....should I keep going? There's lots of bands that are more famous and more known over the years for their music but when you look at their collective existence, I say GOAT!!

I'll simply add a +1 to this :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    2nd greatest

The Replacements are 1st. :sunglasses:
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Unquestionably
    All of the above. Certainly. With a bullet. Empirically. Subjectively. Objectively. Without a doubt. And I've never been more sure of anything in my life.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Lyrically and musically, there's a couple bands I would say are better. Combined with all the other elements of being an image in society? Greatest is an understatement
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886

U2 released their first album in 1980. I'd put them in the generation before PJ.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    JimmyV said:

U2 released their first album in 1980. I'd put them in the generation before PJ.
    And some might argue that U2's last great album (Achtung Baby) was released the same year that Pearl Jam's first was released.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108
    edited March 2017

The thing that keeps me from giving a resounding yes, is that Pearl Jam (to an extent) is bi polar when it comes to their overall impact on the world. Bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin crossed alot of boundaries. All sorts of people who like different genres know/like the music.

Pearl Jam seems different to me. Pearl Jam has this fairly large devoted fan base who are devoted and loyal. They know all the music, travel to shows etc... The problem is outside of that fanbase, i'm not sure how much influence they have. When I talk to other people about PJ they either know alot, or it's remnant in their memory from the 90s (and you get the old, they're still around?) thing.

I think they're the greatest of the 90s music era, but I'm completely biased. I'm fully aware that most of the world stopped paying attention after vitalogy. The Beatles were insane. Releasing 2 albums year for most of their career, putting out a giant body of work in a relatively short period of time. Getting more creative as time went on. Zeppelin wasn't the beatles but they kept the big albums coming for a while too.

I guess the thing is:

Nirvana - 2 Big Albums and then Kurt Died - Forever popular, but a small body of work. I don't hear Nirvana on the radio very much
    Pearl Jam - 3 big albums, and then developed a dedicated hard core fan base
    Soundgarden - Never as big/popular as pj
    AIC - Never as big/popular as pj
    Pumpkins - Went from Arena band on 4 kickass albums, to small venues with replacement musicans.

I'm not sure I count U2 either. Lots of 70s/80's bands put out killer albums in the 90s. U2 had achtung baby. Metallica put out their biggest album. Tom petty had a massive resurgence with his 90s albums.

I guess by process of elimination PJ is the GOATBTBBFINTN (Greatest of all the bands that broke big first in the nineties).
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Zeppelin is the GOAT hands down.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108
    Nami said:

I would accept Zeppelin or the The Beatles. I'm always impressed by how many quality albums The Beatles bumped out especially in the latter half of their career where they shunned playing live and focused on albums only.

Zeppelin kind of had both though. Wicked awesome albums (alot of them) and the toured a lot longer than The Beatles did. Except for Coda it's a pretty awesome career :)
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 937
    I'd say they are Evil Little Greatest Of All Time
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631
    Pete Townshend is not getting enough props here
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rummy said:

JimmyV said:

And some might argue that U2's last great album (Achtung Baby) was released the same year that Pearl Jam's first was released.
    Some might argue that, but they'd be fools to do so. :wink: I'd consider them the same generation. They've maintained relevancy up to and including today, same as PJ. The height of their popularity, music wise, was 87-00. And they've had great albums beyond Achtung Baby. Songs of Innocence is absolutely wonderful, harkens back to their War/TheUnforgettable Fire days. I don't know of any bands on the planet that have done more philanthropic & humanitarian acts than Pearl Jam and U2 have. Like I said, it's a toss up between the two. I'm definitely not trying to argue one over the other; I love them both!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited March 2017
    They are my favorite but I cannot put them above some that others mentioned....The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, Nelson, Starship, etc

Love some of the ways that people are interpreting this question to share their love for Pearl Jam. That is great!

They are my GOAT but not THE greatest of all time.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755

They are my favorite but I cannot put them above some that others mentioned....The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zep, Nelson, Starship, etc

Love some of the ways that people are interpreting this question to share their love for Pearl Jam. That is great!

Nelson!?! Of "After the Rain" fame??
  • Options

no Ricky.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Zod said:

Nami said:

I would accept Zeppelin or the The Beatles. I'm always impressed by how many quality albums The Beatles bumped out especially in the latter half of their career where they shunned playing live and focused on albums only.

Zeppelin kind of had both though. Wicked awesome albums (alot of them) and the toured a lot longer than The Beatles did. Except for Coda it's a pretty awesome career :)
    never been one for the beatles.... but respect them for what they have done for R&R.
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Nami said:

Zod said:

Nami said:

never been one for the beatles.... but respect them for what they have done for R&R.
    Same. Well, I like a couple songs.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Definitely
    Leaving out way too much amazing music that I love as much as I do Pearl Jam.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

I don't even know their songs just remember they were two blonde dudes that I didn't listen to. Unfortunately, I cannot unremember We Built This City.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    edited March 2017
    If we're ranking GOAT bands:

1. The Beatles
    2. Led Zeppelin
    3. U2
    4. Pearl Jam

For me, Pearl Jam wins the GOAT band form USA. I wanna have my cake and eat it too!
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    Unquestionably

Agreed...
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514

...standing up for others politically and socially, charitable work, inspiring others, caring about the environment,...I say GOAT!!

Agreed...
    Great points. The Beatles (or John Lennon) took many social/political stances, as does U2, Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen - they also do many charitable events too. Led Zeppelin were a musical force, not necessarily one for social change. To me a band's social/politic stances don't matter as much as the music (sounds, notes, lyrics - if the lyrics make a good social/political statement - so be it). However, I also love people like Billy Bragg and Bob Marley who are tried and true social/political artists.
  • Options
    ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    Let's be realistic.
    As much as I love the band,
    I'd have to say NO.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997

Nami said:

Zod said:

Nami said:

Same. Well, I like a couple songs.
    Probably going to get banned for just saying this, but that is how I feel about The Beatles and Zeppelin. Not that either are bad, but one or the other ends up #1 on almost any "Best Of" list. I prefer The Who over either of those.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    10 years ago I think you would be laughed at for asking this question. I remember about 15 years ago having a debate with a friend over who was better, PJ or Third Eye Blind. Really? Same time period I saw them in San Diego and remember seeing seats available day of the show still (and not newly released seats). Their explosion in popularity is kind of awesome, I've been telling my friends they are at least the best of their generation and as good as bands like The Who for 20 years.
    Kind of sucks at the same time, I remember when you could get old posters for $50 that are now selling for $500-600 or more. Posters from the 2009 tour were available for a couple years through the 10c, and I remember waiting to buy the ones I went to until I moved out of my apartment, but now they go for 4 times what they did.
    The only studio vinyl I'm missing is Binaural because I was broke and in college with a broken record player, so I decided to skip it until I had a working one. Binaural was still available through the 10c when Riot Act was released, I remember almost buying them both together from the 10c. I didnt buy it then because you could find used ones for like $20 on ebay, so I just put it off until I had a better turntable. I think you could find Benny's for maybe a few hundred bucks too. Passed on albums like RVM and Lost Dogs for the same reason, just figured I'd pick it up when I got a new TT. Big mistake. The revival of vinyl combined with this explosion in popularity has made these vinyl prices ridiculous. I remember just 5 years ago I almost bit the bullet and almost paid $75 for a Binaural just to complete my collection, but knew I was moving out of state and figured I would wait again until after the move. That was the last time I saw one under $100 and a year later they were going for $200-$300. Its crazy the demand now.
    But that just goes to show how great they are, only 1 or 2 other bands from their generation are as sought after with that sort of value, and that's only because they are dead.
    No doubt they are the best of their generation, and deserve to be in the run for all time.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Surprised the Stones were not mentioned more on this thread. They're definitely in the mix. Hard to argue the Beatles or Zeppelin if I'm looking at it objectively, but for my personal taste, PJ all the way!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    edited March 2017
    The Stones put out a lot of shitty music with some great tunes sprinkled in. Beatles and Zep pretty much nailed every song on their albums.