What bands/artists started from 2000 on do you believe will be hugely remembered 45 years from now?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
This is related to some things we talked about in the R.E.M. thread and elsewhere. I'm sincerely curious as to what bands or artist any of you believe will be as well remembered/recognized/revered in 45 years as (for example) Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are today?
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I honestly can't picture any. The closest band would maybe be Coldplay. Not because of quality of music, but based on longevity and popularity.
    I think maybe a guy like Ryan Adams could be revered like possibly Neil Young in the future, I just don't know. Music is so different now compared to back then.
    Thanks a lot, internet.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    edited March 2017
    maybe The White Stripes or Arcade Fire?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Adele
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

Ahhh yes. The above three mentioned are very possible.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    They would have to be a genre transforming artist and I don't think we've seen that yet. There are a lot of second tier artists who will be remembered and get airplay, but nothing like those you referenced. I think the 80's and 90's have quite a few that will be remembered.

How we measure greatness has changed a lot. 20 - 30 years ago it meant you'd have massive record sales, probably end up with some big made for TV anthology of your career (Jackson's, Elvis, The Beatles, The Beach Boys) or a weekly syndicated radio show (The Beatles had several and I loved them!). Now, record sales don't mean squat, TV is almost dead and radio is mostly dedicated to mainstream or digital streaming where you can choose to listen to artist stations. It's so strange. The only constant is the live concert experience so does that become the measure? Even that is evolving with Facebook Live and Periscope able to stream anything to everyone. I think we could honestly start seeing VR live streams of concerts with tickets sold to gain access. It's crazy to think, but musicians need to find new ways to capitalize on their craft and that's one of the few options out there.

As I think about it more, probably Adele and most likely Beyonce too, but nothing in the rock genre.

Funny you started this thread because I've been really hooked on the 50's lately and forgot about all the great songs you could still commonly hear in the late 80's - early 90's before they, and even Elvis, started getting phased out of the oldies format stations. Seems like a sign, especially since Chuck Berry just died too. Rock music revolution c'mon!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Black Keys,
    Kings of Leon and
    Mumford and Sons all come to mind
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661

White Stripes/Jack White I can see (technically started in the late 90's but close enough.) Interesting that I hadn't thought of them but, yes, very possible.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Adele

It is probably too early in her career to say, but I could see her having a legacy like Aretha.
    ELITIST FUK
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited March 2017
    brianlux said:

White Stripes/Jack White I can see (technically started in the late 90's but close enough.) Interesting that I hadn't thought of them but, yes, very possible.
    I think it's inevitable.

I guess I agree Arcade Fire might also be one. If we're doing "close enough" if they started in the late 90s, I'll also go with QOTSA and Gorillaz (both 1998 I think?), as well as The National (2001), and Ryan Adams (2000).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,992
    My Morning Jacket's first album came out in 1999, but I think they will be remembered for a long time.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:

My Morning Jacket's first album came out in 1999, but I think they will be remembered for a long time.

Yes, I think they will be too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,204
    I'm skeptical of most these artists being hugely remembered. The examples listed in the post header are artists that I think you could ask over 80% of the adult population and they would know who they were. I don't think even right know you could say that a lot of the bands/artists being named are known by 50%. Those referenced musicians in the thread title are ingrained in the industry, much like a Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson were during the 80's and everyone knew their name and still does.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited March 2017
    tbergs said:

I'm skeptical of most these artists being hugely remembered. The examples listed in the post header are artists that I think you could ask over 80% of the adult population and they would know who they were. I don't think even right know you could say that a lot of the bands/artists being named are known by 50%. Those referenced musicians in the thread title are ingrained in the industry, much like a Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson were during the 80's and everyone knew their name and still does.

Okay, then I'll say Drake, Brittany Spears, Rianna, Beyonce, JayZ, Kanye West, and Justin Beiber. Pretty much everyone under the age of 50 knows who all of them are. They are super famous and are pop culture staples who can all claim some level of longevity at this point.

(I am not really skeptical about most of the ones listed so far though. In 45 years, all the people who never heard of any of them will be long dead, and they are all still producing music right now, so it's not like they are done. The main factor here is longevity and future popularity, not current popularity).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    But also, I'm thinking the comparison is technically impossible, just because of the nature of the music industry now vs back in the 80s.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823

Adele

if you're going that route, Lady Gaga i think has a better chance.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    PJ_Soul said:

LukinFan said:

Yes, I think they will be too.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    The bands/artists listed in the OP were mega famous during their time. Like some others have said, bands like Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket, etc.. aren't known by half of the population now. There aren't many transformative artists that spill over into pop culture. Of the artists 2000 onward, Beyoncé best fits the description.
    I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this question in the first place. Any shrinks in the house?

But anyway, as I was obsessing on this subject yet again today while listening to R.E.M.'s "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" it occurred to me that the reason this band was so good was that all the elements were in place: a singer with a unique voice, great phrasing and distinctive stage presence, a guitar player who, though creating little new in his style, managedto blended influences in a fine manner and gave new life to the "Byrdsian" chiming guitar, a bass player with an usually superb melodic touch and the added bonus of beautiful harmony singing and a drummer who kept it simple, tight and well blended. Add to that the magic touch- that one indispensable ingredient needed for greatness- the chemistry that brings it all together.

So that all led me to wonder if perhaps what will make the next truly outstanding band happen and give it longevity will not necessarily be invention or development of a new style but, rather, the combination of individuals each having something that really stands out from the rest (especially voice- think Stipe, Vedder, Bowie, Jagger, for example), all pulled together by that rare magic that made the greats what the are.

This will happen again. I can't wait!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    Linkin Park. They were big. So big Jay-Z made an album with them. They are making another album and people will listen.

Brian I am a firm believer that we are on the verge of a rock revival. Every 30 years or so we had a HUGE rock upheaval where it actually changed the landscape. I do believe this is happening.

You Have Ty Seagall and Thee Oh Sees bringing some very good music out there. The Weeks are another fun band. Hell even Ed Sheeran is making some good music!
    I can't help but feel that Gaslight Anthem came out a solid ten years too soon. I imagine them and their sound as something that could have had a cultural impact in an alternate universe. If 59 Sound came out in the next five years as opposed to in the past- maybe it turns into the massive album it deserved to be.

Linkin Park. They were big. So big Jay-Z made an album with them. They are making another album and people will listen.

Brian I am a firm believer that we are on the verge of a rock revival. Every 30 years or so we had a HUGE rock upheaval where it actually changed the landscape. I do believe this is happening.

You Have Ty Seagall and Thee Oh Sees bringing some very good music out there. The Weeks are another fun band. Hell even Ed Sheeran is making some good music!

Yes, Tempo, I think you're right! Not familiar with The Weeks- I'll check them out, thanks!

I can't help but feel that Gaslight Anthem came out a solid ten years too soon. I imagine them and their sound as something that could have had a cultural impact in an alternate universe. If 59 Sound came out in the next five years as opposed to in the past- maybe it turns into the massive album it deserved to be.

Definitely some potential there to be big. What are they up to these days?

brianlux said:

Yes, Tempo, I think you're right! Not familiar with The Weeks- I'll check them out, thanks!

Gaslight is on a hiatus. Their lead singer is doing some solid solo material. He's left the door open recently to getting the band back together. So who knows. Bands like Gaslight Anthem, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket seem to be right there at the tipping point of being really big and iconic, but the industry environment just wasn't right for them to go from good to iconic.

brianlux said:

Gaslight is on a hiatus. Their lead singer is doing some solid solo material. He's left the door open recently to getting the band back together. So who knows. Bands like Gaslight Anthem, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket seem to be right there at the tipping point of being really big and iconic, but the industry environment just wasn't right for them to go from good to iconic.
    Those bands are fun but they won't be the catalyst to get the ball moving. You need youth unfortunately...
    It's true, the brightest do seem to start young. I was listening to some early recording Mick Taylor made with John Mayall and thinking, "Man, how does a kid play like that at eighteen?"!

And good point about industry environment, ledved. And what about great managers? Are there any Danny Fields or Andrew Loog Oldhams or Brian Epsteins anymore?

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    Coran Capshaw
    I think there will be plenty of artists, but people who post here won't like them because they aren't necessarily in the rock vein. But that's the era.

I think there will be plenty of artists, but people who post here won't like them because they aren't necessarily in the rock vein. But that's the era.

Exactly!

"Rock" is Ed Sheeran and 5 Seconds of summer. We need to embrace that. Like it or not it IS a form of rock music.
    edited March 2017

Many at least, yes. We do love our rock and roll. I know I do! But I would also love to see a giant like Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Larry Coryell, John Mc Laughlin, Muddy Waters, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, etc. come along too! Some people think it will be Kanye West. I doubt it but we'll see.

edited March 2017
    I think Kanye will be one of them. Definitely. There is not a more critically acclaimed artist who has emerged post 2000 than him.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited March 2017
    This is an interesting list. lots of artists tied at 83 though. Also, I don't think they give any weight because artists with one album that happened to be acclaimed make the list while artists who made 3-5 may not because of of maybe 1-2 albums weighing them down.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/bands/top-artists/

But it's a conversation starter.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on