• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

No one talks about that today President Trump was meeting with Truckers and hearing their voice, why not?
    Listen to the audio from the latest tweet. Nothing wrong with this in fact it is very Presidential.

Great. Another step backwards.

Truckers are shitting themselves right now. The technology is dogfart away from replacing an entire industry there. No doubt they'll get all sorts of job protections out of this meeting.

...the free market, small government party at work...
    Similar to the burger flipping/kiosk machines being incorporated into fast food chains due the rising costs of hiring more workers? Progress?
    Depends on how you define it I suppose. It is certainly efficiency and increased productivity. But these same arguments were made when the cotton gin was created, the assembly line, cranes invented, etc. Nothing we see is unique. Every time there is a dramatic change in technology, people are left behind. And there's always a demagogue that says he is going to stop it....and doesn't.
    That's a fair comparison. As far as people being "left behind", though, does that equate to social progress? What could be done to reduce these people being left behind when a new technology takes over an industry? There is already an issue with unemployment, so what is the leveling factor between technological innovation and social progress? We talk about it being unfair that lower education individuals (such as many in the fast food industry) are being paid poorly, but does that not specifically fit into the definition of being "left behind"? I guess they should all just suck it up and find a new skill that pays better before they become irrelevant, right? Or should society bend to assist/enable those being "left behind" in industries becoming more and more automated?
    I'm certainly not arguing that techno progress is social progress, by no means. But I've always felt like the miss on NAFTA, as an example, was not the actual agreement (which I generally support along with TPP (for different reasons related to China)), but that there were no plans, funds, strategy to retrain workers for the jobs of tomorrow. Free trade or technology isn't the enemy, lack of preparation is.
    I think you are correct in that more future planning needs to be done instead of passing half ass deals just to get something on a political resume. Different topic, but I know plenty of individuals that do not "plan ahead" in the way of retirement, life insurance, etc and not just those that do not have the means to do so. So many people frivolously spend every dime they earn and show no sign of financial responsibility...some even with money they don't actually have (credit cards). The government as a whole does not handle finances much better. I'm all about "living for today", but that does not = be irresponsible with tomorrow.
    A budget along these lines
    And that is why I would never live in New York City, lol. 42000 childcare, damn??? I guess the definition of "average" is different for different people. If you need a 1,500,000 home to feel average...then you have an ego problem, not a financial problem.
    The google says the highest average childcare for an infant in the whole state is $12,700.
    Yeah, those were all bullshit numbers.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,607
    PJ_Soul said:

mfc2006 said:

not sure if this has been posted yet or not......

http://occupydemocrats.com/2017/03/23/man-testified-trumps-campaign-chair-just-shot-dead/

Sure, it's a democratic page. That shouldn't matter, though.

Any transcript of Trump speaking is practically unintelligible. The man can't even really finish a thought. It's crazy that his fans don't mind this.
    There was an article that talked about measuring people's brain responses to his speeches, basically saying that the areas of emotional response really got activated when people listened to him. This makes sense, as his supporters can't formulate why they like him based on policy, but instead based on how he makes them feel.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited March 2017
    PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

No one talks about that today President Trump was meeting with Truckers and hearing their voice, why not?
    Listen to the audio from the latest tweet. Nothing wrong with this in fact it is very Presidential.

Truckers are shitting themselves right now. The technology is dogfart away from replacing an entire industry there. No doubt they'll get all sorts of job protections out of this meeting.

Similar to the burger flipping/kiosk machines being incorporated into fast food chains due the rising costs of hiring more workers? Progress?
    Depends on how you define it I suppose. It is certainly efficiency and increased productivity. But these same arguments were made when the cotton gin was created, the assembly line, cranes invented, etc. Nothing we see is unique. Every time there is a dramatic change in technology, people are left behind. And there's always a demagogue that says he is going to stop it....and doesn't.
    That's a fair comparison. As far as people being "left behind", though, does that equate to social progress? What could be done to reduce these people being left behind when a new technology takes over an industry? There is already an issue with unemployment, so what is the leveling factor between technological innovation and social progress? We talk about it being unfair that lower education individuals (such as many in the fast food industry) are being paid poorly, but does that not specifically fit into the definition of being "left behind"? I guess they should all just suck it up and find a new skill that pays better before they become irrelevant, right? Or should society bend to assist/enable those being "left behind" in industries becoming more and more automated?
    Well, think about the shocking technological progress that has happened since the 80s. Now consider the unemployment rate during that time. It doesn't seem to me that technology is actually reducing the number of jobs available. As far as I've noticed, the only kinds of jobs that have been lost en masse over that time are all the blue collar manufacturing-related jobs and agricultural jobs. And how many of those lost jobs were because of advancing technology? Weren't most of them lost because companies sent manufacturing overseas or because farming became corporate rather than because they lost their job to a mechanical arm or something? What are the real stats I wonder? Those "left behind" more seem to be so because of the cost of living vs wages rather than technology. Jobs that used to allow less educated workers to support themselves no longer pay enough for them to do so because of the ever-expanding gap between wages and cost of living. Basically, the culprit is capitalism, not technology. Thoughts?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    If that lacky Devin Nunes allows Manafort to be interviewed, it means he's gonna say nothing. We need an independent investigation.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,633
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

I'm certainly not arguing that techno progress is social progress, by no means. But I've always felt like the miss on NAFTA, as an example, was not the actual agreement (which I generally support along with TPP (for different reasons related to China)), but that there were no plans, funds, strategy to retrain workers for the jobs of tomorrow. Free trade or technology isn't the enemy, lack of preparation is.
    I think you are correct in that more future planning needs to be done instead of passing half ass deals just to get something on a political resume. Different topic, but I know plenty of individuals that do not "plan ahead" in the way of retirement, life insurance, etc and not just those that do not have the means to do so. So many people frivolously spend every dime they earn and show no sign of financial responsibility...some even with money they don't actually have (credit cards). The government as a whole does not handle finances much better. I'm all about "living for today", but that does not = be irresponsible with tomorrow.
    A budget along these lines...

move the f out of NYC then.
    Seriously! And is that really saying 32,000 per year towards student loan debt? Yeah, there are some bad decisions that come to play in that equation.
    And it's BS too. No one that makes 500k a year with two kids and a mortgage pays a 40% tax rate. Bull fucking shit..

Plus all the interest on the student loan is tax deductible and I believe the child care would be as well (although I haven't paid that in over 10 years so I can't remember).
    Well once you hit a certain income deductions get phased out and you likely also get hit with the AMT.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• After seven horrible years of ObamaCare (skyrocketing premiums & deductibles, bad healthcare), this is finally your chance for a great plan!
    The irony is that the Freedom Caucus, which is very pro-life and against Planned Parenthood, allows P.P. to continue if they stop this plan!
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

Well, think about the shocking technological progress that has happened since the 80s. Now consider the unemployment rate during that time. It doesn't seem to me that technology is actually reducing the number of jobs available. As far as I've noticed, the only kinds of jobs that have been lost en masse over that time are all the blue collar manufacturing-related jobs and agricultural jobs. And how many of those lost jobs were because of advancing technology? Weren't most of them lost because companies sent manufacturing overseas or because farming became corporate rather than because they lost their job to a mechanical arm or something? What are the real stats I wonder? Those "left behind" more seem to be so because of the cost of living vs wages rather than technology. Jobs that used to allow less educated workers to support themselves no longer pay enough for them to do so because of the ever-expanding gap between wages and cost of living. Basically, the culprit is capitalism, not technology. Thoughts?
    My thought would be that if I was required to pay someone more, I would expect a higher education level and screen my employees a little more strictly...and who ends up being left behind there? I would also consider what technology could do to help the bottom line and whether it would be cheaper to buy a $15000 burger flipping machine than pay a burger flipper $20000/year. I also do not like jobs being sent overseas, but capitalism also encourages innovation and technological progress through competition. I would suggest incentives to keep jobs here/penalties for sending them overseas...maybe to the extent that it would not be profitable to do so.
    edited March 2017
    Here's the thing.

When Obama wanted his health care plan passed, he spent a full year traveling around the country and making a case to voters. He could tell Joe Bob in Iowa, "I understand you're having a problem with XYZ. Here's how my plan would seek to address that."

He did that for a full year.

This president does not seem as invested in this health care bill, except for we just get it over with so we can move on. He's forcing them to ram-rod it through, and doesn't seem interested in what has to happen, policy-wise, to get that done. I doubt he even knows what's in it, policy-wise.

All we've heard from Trump on this is "Obamacare is a disaster" -- OK, well, tell us how? What are the problems with it, as you see it? Who is it a problem for? Lay it out.

And "This plan is going to be great" -- again, tell us how? What issues that you had with Obamacare does your bill address? If you see it's going to make my medical care better, tell me how.

Trump has done none of that, and that's partly what's killing the bill, or at least making it politically untenable. The public hates this bill. Nobody buying it, because nobody is out there selling it. Trump might be a fine negotiator behind the closed doors of the boardroom, but a huge part of being president is making a sales pitch to a skeptical public. He doesn't seem to know how to do that.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    Well said, @slightofjeff
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

And that is why I would never live in New York City, lol. 42000 childcare, damn??? I guess the definition of "average" is different for different people. If you need a 1,500,000 home to feel average...then you have an ego problem, not a financial problem.
    The google says the highest average childcare for an infant in the whole state is $12,700.
    Some were high, some were low. My friend's kid starts kindergarten next year. 50,000 a year K-12 for most decent private schools. His daughter is two years younger. That's 100k/year soon. Not long before he moves to the burbs.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Looks like this bill is going to be a failure.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

A budget along these lines...

move the f out of NYC then.
    Seriously! And is that really saying 32,000 per year towards student loan debt? Yeah, there are some bad decisions that come to play in that equation.
    And it's BS too. No one that makes 500k a year with two kids and a mortgage pays a 40% tax rate. Bull fucking shit..

Plus all the interest on the student loan is tax deductible and I believe the child care would be as well (although I haven't paid that in over 10 years so I can't remember).
    Well once you hit a certain income deductions get phased out and you likely also get hit with the AMT.
    I was hit with AMT just this year and most years and it still doesn't get near 40%. My wife is a tax accountant. I'll ask her tonight what the highest rate she's seen this year.
    dignin said:

Sure sounds like it, judging from tone of the Spicey press briefing going on right now
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    Yeah I think it's done....even some yes votes will turn so they don't get stuck with it over their head come election time.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

dignin said:

Sure sounds like it, judging from tone of the Spicey press briefing going on right now
    Sad Spicey.
    eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

Some were high, some were low. My friend's kid starts kindergarten next year. 50,000 a year K-12 for most decent private schools. His daughter is two years younger. That's 100k/year soon. Not long before he moves to the burbs.

That's insane...the price to pay if you make the lifestyle choice to enjoy the posh amenities of living in New York City I suppose...
    dignin said:

yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited March 2017
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

My thought would be that if I was required to pay someone more, I would expect a higher education level and screen my employees a little more strictly...and who ends up being left behind there? I would also consider what technology could do to help the bottom line and whether it would be cheaper to buy a $15000 burger flipping machine than pay a burger flipper $20000/year. I also do not like jobs being sent overseas, but capitalism also encourages innovation and technological progress through competition. I would suggest incentives to keep jobs here/penalties for sending them overseas...maybe to the extent that it would not be profitable to do so.
    So you don't believe in making wages keep up with inflation? You're saying that unless workers got more education, you'd keep minimum wage the same forever? Wages have to increase to keep up with the cost of living. That some don't seem to think that's necessary is why so many people in first world countries are living in poverty even though they work full time. That is wrong.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I really cannot believe this is going to fail. 7 years, complete power, the best deal maker ever and they can't get it done.

I really cannot believe this is going to fail. 7 years, complete power, the best deal maker ever and they can't get it done.

it boggles the mind
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    Like, I have recently been thinking, maybe I am wrong, maybe they aren't completely dysfunctional and perhaps they know what they are doing (outside of the WH, obviously), but no, nope, they are a bunch of imbeciles
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    Like, I have recently been thinking, maybe I am wrong, maybe they aren't completely dysfunctional and perhaps they know what they are doing (outside of the WH, obviously), but no, nope, they are a bunch of imbeciles
    I don't see how Ryan survives as speaker.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

Yes you are right about some manufacturing, etc., but worker productivity, in white and blue collar jobs has soared as well. Think about how many things in your world that took 3 people in the past but now take 1? I work for a mid sized financial firm. When I joined 9 years ago, many of the processes were done manually. My first objective was to automate the system processes and replace the 3 non-exempt workers with a single process manager. The process manager monitors the systems and works exceptions, not every item. The result was a more precise product, far more efficient and speedy and far more scalable. We went from a company full of non-exempt HS grads to only being college grads. Maybe that's a bad thing socially, but not economically.

And yes you are right that the culprit is capitalism, but I'm not sure I would use the word culprit. If there were a better economic system that worked, then I would support that. The fact is that capitalism, while imperfect, is the most egalitarian economic system the world has seen, that actually works. I say "actually works" because while communism may look sexy on paper, it hasn't worked in any state thus far.

One more thing, I have shared a graph like this before. In fact, I show it to anyone I can that is in HS to emphasize the point about how important secondary education is. Check out the difference in job loss at recession followed by the recovery, split between college grads and non-grads. It's the only evidence one needs about the criticality of going to college. Red is "no college", blue is "Bachelor or higher"

mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    I completely agree. They couldn't collectively screw in a lightbulb.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    What boggles the mind for me is the people that believed Trump was a magic deal maker...and that the Republican party was some kind of unified force. The tea party nuts have been holding this party hostage for years. Chickens coming home to roost.
    dignin said:

mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    What boggles the mind for me is the people that believed Trump was a magic deal maker...and that the Republican party was some kind of unified force. The tea party nuts have been holding this party hostage for years. Chickens coming home to roost.
    Newsflash... being the opposition is easy. Governing is hard.
    mfc2006 said:

mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    I completely agree. They couldn't collectively screw in a lightbulb.
    Truly amazing.
  • Today, I was pleased to announce the official approval of the presidential permit for the #KeystonePipeline. A great day for American jobs!
    Today, I was thrilled to announce a commitment of $25 BILLION & 20K AMERICAN JOBS over the next 4 years. THANK YOU Charter Communications!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,607
    mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

mfc2006 said:

it boggles the mind
    Newsflash... being the opposition is easy. Governing is hard.
    Exactly. And the notion that the government can't do anything right and should run like the private sector has contributed to this. The skill set that a reality tv show star and real estate mogul has doesn't apply to government. Imagine that.

The Republican platform of opposition only, and yes to nothing is now on display. No one corralled the kids on the playground for 8 years, so the bully rose to the top to run the show.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570

They had no intention of getting it done. Pure brilliance.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.