It's PearlJam Madness 2017! Compete against Jeff Ament + PJ fans to win a signed bass from the band

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

Down goes duke! Great job USC! First time in program history. Love it

what an atmosphere. the Gamecock fans really showed up with a tiny assist from the UNC fans. :lol:
    only teams i have left in the final 4 is Arizona and UCLA. my bracket got busted

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    rssesq said:

S'GO STATE!

can we take out number 1 with a buncha kids?

We could have...but we needed more 3's, less bunny misses, and some f'in defense on the Josh Jackson show. The better team won, but overall, despite what our team went through this year, I was happy we at least got in the tourney and beat Miami the way we did.

Next year it's Sweet 16 or bust...maybe Final Four or bust if Bridges returns or we pick up one of the two other big time recruits on our radar.

I don't think I'm in it anymore, so I'm rooting for Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Butler.
    edited March 2017
    It appears the leader board may be working better, as it only shows the top ten, ranging from 292 to 272. But what kind of crazy point system is this?

SC beating my runner-up Puke probably did me in...but an early dukies loss to South Carolina is worth not getting a signed guitar...well, almost. :|
    Post edited by Spartanacus on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I scrolled though the thread and hope I didnt miss this question.
    Is there a way to see my actual points, not just the top 10?. Untill then, I'm just going to assume i'm #11.
    mace1229 said:

I scrolled though the thread and hope I didnt miss this question.
    Is there a way to see my actual points, not just the top 10?. Untill then, I'm just going to assume i'm #11.

Nobody knows the point system they are using. It's a Jeff Ament Mystery.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    looks like it. been the same leaders since Monday. at least from a laptop, and for now.
  • EJE201EJE201 Mason, MI Posts: 319
    site has bee updated:

Q: What is the scoring system?
    A: The scoring is as follows:
    First round (32 matchups): 2pts
    Second round (16 matchups): 16pts
    Elite Eight (8 matchups): 64pts
    Final Four (4 matchups): 256pts
    Semi Finals: 1024pts
    National Championship: 4096pts

Holy shit that's a crazy scoring system!!!
    Let's say knowledge is a tree,
    It's growing up just like me
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

whoa
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    so, you're saying there's a chance.....
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I have 248 points with my potential wins left:

Sweet 16 - 7/8
    Elite Eight - 3/4
    Final Four - 2/2
    Championship - 1/1
  • andyfarrimondandyfarrimond Posts: 1,957
    EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

So you cannot win unless your pick wins the championship, everything up til that point is meaningless pretty much
    I picked KU over Arizona to win it all
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I have Zone over Kansas with Butler in the final 4 but lost SMU as my other final 4
    just realized they named the rounds wrong too. whoever is running this contest has no basketball knowledge whatsoever
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mfc2006 said:

so, you're saying there's a chance.....

This weekend we rock Portland

EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

So you cannot win unless your pick wins the championship, everything up til that point is meaningless pretty much
    Actually doesn't seem too far off from the brackets I've done before. Looks weird, but unless your pool consists of 10 guys or less, the winner almost always picks the championship. Each round is usually worth the same number of points, but with fewer games. Not the case here, they get worth more as the rounds go on But with this many people you weren't going to win without picking the championship regardless of the point system. Early rounds are usually just tie-breakers for those who pick the right championship.

so do i get anything for coming in last? :lol:

I suggest some Jeff Ament 'Bad Picks.'
    EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

Yes, I second that as being the craziest scoring system I've ever seen. Someone can get zero picks right except for a long shot national champ and win it all. Next year I suggest something a little more traditional like:

1,2,4,6,8,10 or even

One more suggestion since this is such a champion friendly tournament...can you please add who the top ten picked as their champion???

I think then this could be about as perfect as it could get for this year.

Thanks,
    Dave

EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

Yes, I second that as being the craziest scoring system I've ever seen. Someone can get zero picks right except for a long shot national champ and win it all. Next year I suggest something a little more traditional like:

1,2,4,6,8,10 or even

One more suggestion since this is such a champion friendly tournament...can you please add who the top ten picked as their champion???

Thanks,
    Dave
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is what I've always seen. But even in that scenario, you are very unlikely to win without picking the championship. Picking every single pick in round 1, or round 2 etc is equal to the single championship game. So I don't see how this unorthodoxed version is that different.
    You physically cant pick a championship correct without getting a bunch correct on the way. And if your only correct picks out of the whole bracket were the ones involving the championship winner, the other guy who picked the same team to go all the way, and there will be tons, will get more points anyway. I don't see how it really changes anything.
    mace1229 said:

EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

1,2,4,6,8,10 or even

Thanks,
    Dave
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is what I've always seen. But even in that scenario, you are very unlikely to win without picking the championship. Picking every single pick in round 1, or round 2 etc is equal to the single championship game. So I don't see how this unorthodoxed version is that different.
    You physically cant pick a championship correct without getting a bunch correct on the way. And if your only correct picks out of the whole bracket were the ones involving the championship winner, the other guy who picked the same team to go all the way, and there will be tons, will get more points anyway. I don't see how it really changes anything.
    If you go with a 1,2,3,4,5,6 scoring system, the earlier rounds matter a lot more and you'll have a lot more people 'in the running' until the final game. These pools should be designed for an all around good job of picking outcomes...not who got luckiest in having picked the correct 1 or 2 seed (for the most part) to become champion. Even awarding 32 points to the winner really makes the rest of the tourney meaningless. If it's all about the champion, then why even fill out brackets? Just name your champ, and for all those whose champ pick wins, then put their names in a drawing. Of course, this is not a fun or good way to do it. It's all about the 1st and 2nd rounds. That's where the real fun is. I don't like when 80% of the entrants are out of a tourney before the 2nd weekend starts. That being said, as long as you have at least one Final Four team still intact, I guess anybody can win. But I'd much prefer putting more value in the early rounds. That way more people will pick upsets (more to gain, less to lose). If it's all champion based, nobody in their right mind should have anyone other than a 1 or 2 seed in the Final Four.

mace1229 said:

EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

1,2,4,6,8,10 or even

Thanks,
    Dave
    If you go with a 1,2,3,4,5,6 scoring system, the earlier rounds matter a lot more and you'll have a lot more people 'in the running' until the final game. These pools should be designed for an all around good job of picking outcomes...not who got luckiest in having picked the correct 1 or 2 seed (for the most part) to become champion. Even awarding 32 points to the winner really makes the rest of the tourney meaningless. If it's all about the champion, then why even fill out brackets? Just name your champ, and for all those whose champ pick wins, then put their names in a drawing. Of course, this is not a fun or good way to do it. It's all about the 1st and 2nd rounds. That's where the real fun is. I don't like when 80% of the entrants are out of a tourney before the 2nd weekend starts. That being said, as long as you have at least one Final Four team still intact, I guess anybody can win. But I'd much prefer putting more value in the early rounds. That way more people will pick upsets (more to gain, less to lose). If it's all champion based, nobody in their right mind should have anyone other than a 1 or 2 seed in the Final Four.
    I kinda agree with that. It is basically like you said, name the champion. The earlier rounds are just the tie-breaker for all those who named it correctly.
    Would be more fun if earlier rounds matter, I don't even care when my 6 seed pick loses in a minor upset in round 1 because it is virtually meaningless. Would be more fun if those matches matter too.
    EJE201 said:

site has bee updated:

wtf. haha
    Many years ago, I used to bookie and I've had the most exciting tourneys at 2 3 5 8 16 32
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited March 2017
    Best way is each rd is worth 320 pts...10/20/40/80/160/320 per game....done it for years and it always keeps it interesting..this year we still have several in it with several diff champion picks../kentucky/zaga/kansas and unc all being picked in final game//
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• jjflash said:

Bracket. Busted.
    The fat lady has officially sung and her name is South Carolina :lol::neutral:
    Lots of good games yesterday. Rhode Island came oh so close to taking down Oregon. It was fun rooting for the underdog.
    Hope someone from the boards takes home Jeff's bass!

I love this! Go Cocks!!
    I'm through with screaming
  • lolobugg said:

Down goes duke! Great job USC! First time in program history. Love it

what an atmosphere. the Gamecock fans really showed up with a tiny assist from the UNC fans. :lol:
    only teams i have left in the final 4 is Arizona and UCLA. my bracket got busted
    Oops!
    I'm through with screaming
    Well, Kansas is still alive (awesome win!), but Arizona is out...which means that my bracket may be done.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Xavier could screw everybody,lol.