I was wearing my Pearl Jam shirt the other day.....

buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
edited February 2017 in The Porch
At the gym when an old man in his late 80's says, "I was at Pearl Harbor!"

I said, "Thank you for your service."

The other funny story I have was when my wife and I were in NYC for Global Citizen, we were both wearing PJ shirts and we went out for dinner. The waitress saw our shirts and said, "hey, I really liked their last album backpacker!!!"

Any others have funny stories about people noticing your PJ fandom?

Comments

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Backpacker was awesome, especially that one about hiking in the Andes
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

The other funny story I have was when my wife and I were in NYC for Global Citizen, we were both wearing PJ shirts and we went out for dinner. The waitress saw our shirts and said, "hey, I really liked their last album backpacker!!!"

If he was only 15 when Pearl Harbor happened he would now be 91. So in his 90's and still at the gym...pretty cool.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    hsohi said:

If he was only 15 when Pearl Harbor happened he would now be 91. So in his 90's and still at the gym...pretty cool.
    He is cool.

I told him to listen to "Alive"! :)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Backpacker :rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    I wonder how many members of the band wear their official merch shirts out in public?
    The powerful MYM tour shirt for example.
    Great at shows but in public? not so much.
    I have a MYM shirt and wore it a few times in public just because I was having a PJ day but it felt odd at times.
    At the lineup in the grocery line I could feel the stares. Not what I wanted.
  • Just today Crown of Thorns was on Sirius and my wife said, "who sings this, Mother Love Tits?". I love my wife
  • Sandy66Sandy66 Queensland, Australia Posts: 226
    I started a new job 2 months ago in a posh French restaurant. Most of the people I work with are French and communication is at times difficult and I felt my boss was a bit arrogant and hard to get to know. We were cleaning up after service last night and one of the French waitresses was playing some crappy French music so I took a turn and put on my favourite bands music, my boss then said "I love pearl Jam" I was stoked, we chatted about how great they are and how I've travelled to see them, I am taking him in my spare copy of PJ20 today. I think he's not a bad bloke at all now
    BDO, Melbourne, 2014.   EV Solo, Melbourne, 2014.   Memphis, 2014.   Detroit, 2014.   St Paul, 2014.  Global Citizens Festival, NYC, 2015.   Columbia, 2016.   Jazz Fest, New Orleans, 2016.   Philly 1 & 2, 2016.   MSG 1 & 2, New York, 2016.  Ottawa, 2016.   Toronto 1, 2016.  Amsterdam 1 & 2, 2018.  London 1, 2018.  Padova, 2018.  Rome, 2018.  Prague, 2018.
    Why are all posters on your wall Pearl Jam? :)
    Sandy66 said:

I started a new job 2 months ago in a posh French restaurant. Most of the people I work with are French and communication is at times difficult and I felt my boss was a bit arrogant and hard to get to know. We were cleaning up after service last night and one of the French waitresses was playing some crappy French music so I took a turn and put on my favourite bands music, my boss then said "I love pearl Jam" I was stoked, we chatted about how great they are and how I've travelled to see them, I am taking him in my spare copy of PJ20 today. I think he's not a bad bloke at all now

Pearl Jam makes everything better?
  • ^^^
    Yes Pearl Jam always makes things better.

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited March 2017
    So I have a funny story.. but it's not about a shirt.. lol
    When I lived in KC ( the hood.. we lived in Wyandotte), and Backspacerhad just come out.. I was calling record shops in our area to see who had it, etc...( then it turned out Target had it.. blah blah blah..) so I call a record store and ask the guy "Are you guys carrying the newPearl Jam release?" He says... "Pearl Jam??? This is a record store, not a sex shop, ma'am." and hangs up..
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2017
    deleted by Admin. See the posting guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931

When I lived in KC ( the hood.. we lived in Wyandotte), and Backspacerhad just come out.. I was calling record shops in our area to see who had it, etc...( then it turned out Target had it.. blah blah blah..) so I call a record store and ask the guy "Are you guys carrying the newPearl Jam release?" He says... "Pearl Jam??? This is a record store, not a sex shop, ma'am." and hangs up..

Huh? I don't get it.

• pljampljam Posts: 387
    Was driving down near the coast here in Victoria Aust and this car came screaming up along side us hitting the car horn and giving us the thumbs up sign,generally going skitz,he tramped it and pulled in front of me and I saw his registration plate read PRLJAM all made sense then ,my rego is PLJAM so long short we pulled over and shot the shit about the obvious all the while my son and girlfriend at the time shit cracked as we went story to story ,ironically the rego he had PRLJAM was the one I was trying to get hence me setting for PLJAM,that happened about 12 yrs ago and we both still have the same plates today
    Lost his number but remember he was a real good bloke ,so if you ever read this Frank PM me and we will catch up and share the stories of the last 12yrs
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Huh? I don't get it.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/pearl-jam
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited March 2017
    Wearing the shirts constantly, have had plenty of funny interactions. The most frequently odd one is where the person says "I didn't know they were still a band any longer."
    Most frequent comment is "I love Pearl Jam!", which is always cool to hear.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Huh? I don't get it.

I think he thought it was some sort of sex thing..
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Hope you gave that guy a huge fuckin' hug man!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Wearing the shirts constantly, have had plenty of funny interactions. The most frequently odd one is where the person says "I didn't know they were still a band any longer."

Something I frequently hear when wearing Pearl Jam shirts: "When did they get back together?"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited March 2017

Something I frequently hear when wearing Pearl Jam shirts: "When did they get back together?"
    Yep.
    My favorite question is when someone is in my house (observing the 30 posters) or looking at a t-shirt I have on, or commenting on seeing my PJ license plate....."So, you like Pearl Jam?"

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    edited March 2017
    My latest public experience conversation.....

Stranger: "Pearl Jam? What's that?"
    Me: It's kind of like a jelly. You can find it in grocery stores near the breakfast items"
    Stranger: "Does it taste good?"
    Me: "Ya, I like to put it on my toast. They have different flavors"
    Stanger: "I might have to try it out. Thanks"

(My wife was shaking her head the entire time)

B)
    Post edited by JojoRice on
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    At a Best Buy a couple of years ago, I had two youngsters assisting me in an outdoor speaker purchase.

Youngster 1: What kind of music do you listen to?
    Youngster 2: (to Youngster 1) Really, dude? He's only wearing a t-shirt from one on the greatest bands of all time.
    Me: (to Youngster 2) Kid, you just made a sale.

I had fully intended on making a purchase, but the kid seemed so proud that I just went with it.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I was in New Orleans in 09 and touring an old convent in the French Quarter, when an older woman came up to me with my PJ shirt on and said "oh i think that's my nephews band" like they just came off the stage of the local high school. She said she grew up with Mikes mom.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    RS65573 said:

I was in New Orleans in 09 and touring an old convent in the French Quarter, when an older woman came up to me with my PJ shirt on and said "oh i think that's my nephews band" like they just came off the stage of the local high school. She said she grew up with Mikes mom.

Haha. Thats great.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    I was in Trader Joe's a while back. While I was looking for something in their peanut butter / jelly section, one of the guys that works there suddenly says, "Oh...PEARL Jam. At first I thought your shirt said PEAR Jam. I thought that was a weird thing to have a shirt say while you're looking for Jam."

Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455

Yep.
    My favorite question is when someone is in my house (observing the 30 posters) or looking at a t-shirt I have on, or commenting on seeing my PJ license plate....."So, you like Pearl Jam?"

I get that a lot with my Grateful Dead obsession, which far surpasses my PJ obsession. The plates on my car say DEDHED and I could go 2 months straight wearing GD shirts without a repeat. Don't even get me started on the music collection (of course my collection of PJ shows is pretty f'n extensive too).
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Circa 2002, West Chester Pa
    Drunk college chick: I like your Pearl Jam shirt.
    Me: Thanks. I like your titty shirt.
    Drunk college chick: Thanks. Wanna go back to my place and listen Pearl Jam?
    Me: Check please.
    KP_McMinn said:

Circa 2002, West Chester Pa
    Drunk college chick: I like your Pearl Jam shirt.
    Me: Thanks. I like your titty shirt.
    Drunk college chick: Thanks. Wanna go back to my place and listen Pearl Jam?
    Me: Check please.

https://youtu.be/LBduNcf1eQc