The *~*~*~OFFICIAL~*~*~* 2021 March Madness Thread

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    pjhawks said:

Thanks pjhawks. Still on cloud 9.

Wish I had seen that UNC play. I saw Twitter blow up about it, but haven't actually seen it.

Not too surprising concerning Marshall's wife. She was a loose cannon when he was at Winthrop. I know of at least 2 fan bases in the Big South that had issues with her...probably more, they just didn't protest enough.

vid here

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/refs-officiating-ncaa-tournament-joel-berry-ii-unc-north-carolina-arkansas-video
    Couldn't tell if the defender was set in order to draw the charge, shouldn't have mattered though since Berry definitely traveled.

I've heard she's the reason SC didn't want to hire Marshall. Could just be gossip but looks like we dodged a bullet.

I don't know about that. Everything I've heard was that Eric Hyman just didn't like him plus he was coming off a 12-20 first season at Wichita. So we went with the flash in the pan in Darrin Horn. When Horn got canned, Marshall had no intention of coming here unless we offered something like $4M a year. He was using us as leverage for a better contract with Wichita State.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The one year I actually do well with my first round picks (got 28/32 correct), I fuck it up in the late rounds. Only got 9/16 in the second round, only have 4 of 8 left, 2 of 4, 1 of 2, and my champion. My East & Midwest are completely done.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

The one year I actually do well with my first round picks (got 28/32 correct), I fuck it up in the late rounds. Only got 9/16 in the second round, only have 4 of 8 left, 2 of 4, 1 of 2, and my champion. My East & Midwest are completely done.

no one cares about your bracket :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I've heard she's the reason SC didn't want to hire Marshall. Could just be gossip but looks like we dodged a bullet.

I don't know about that. Everything I've heard was that Eric Hyman just didn't like him plus he was coming off a 12-20 first season at Wichita. So we went with the flash in the pan in Darrin Horn. When Horn got canned, Marshall had no intention of coming here unless we offered something like $4M a year. He was using us as leverage for a better contract with Wichita State.
    Maybe so but I still wouldn't want her as a representative of our University.
    I'm through with screaming
    edited March 2017

I've heard she's the reason SC didn't want to hire Marshall. Could just be gossip but looks like we dodged a bullet.

Maybe so but I still wouldn't want her as a representative of our University.
    If you look at his results across 2 schools with some built in limitations, you absolutely hire him if you can come up with the money -- I don't care who you are. You just tell him to keep his batshit crazy wife in check.

That said, I am more than happy with Frank Martin as our coach and have been since day 1. The above is more for what other schools should do (possibly Indiana?).
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wobbie said:

:smiley:
  • Wobbie said:

:smiley:
    Your team helped contribute to the dumpster fire that is my bracket.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JT3 has been fired. Didn't think they'd do that with Big John still around.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    LET'S GO JAYHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I need the Tarheels to lose.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I usually have one of my championship teams out by now. Happy that UCLA and Gonzaga are still in this.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:

JT3 has been fired. Didn't think they'd do that with Big John still around.

just saw that. Surprising at this time as i thought they would give him another year or two. the right move though. other than 1 final 4 appearance he has been really underwhelming there.

games tonight should be great. Surprised Michigan is favored over Oregon. Really looking forward to Purdue-Kansas. Tomorrow's UCLA-Kentucky should be fantastic.
    Oregon holds on. Good stuff
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Come on Tar Heels
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Purdue Pete calls on Benny Beaver to summons some good Ralph Miller mojo. Go Boilers!

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703

Purdue Pete calls on Benny Beaver to summons some good Ralph Miller mojo. Go Boilers!

not working.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Thanks for making me laugh! Ouch.
    Well Purdue, it was fun.

Still think Vermont should have taken you out :wink:
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Rock Chalk!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Im glad Xavier won. Will be even easier for Gonzaga
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited March 2017
    My chances slipped away with Michigan,west Virginia,Arizona loses

So sad. Kentucky wins it all with fox and monk NBA stock rise
    coaches just love to call timeouts in the 7-10 minute mark then have none left for the last possession. 3 teams did it last night. it's just idiotic. you have to make sure you keep at least one timeout for the end game even though I sometimes like the teams to just play it out offensively.

Xavier in the Elite 8 is just crazy. they barely made the tourney but somehow didn't play in the play-in games. they lost 2 starters during the year, lost 6 straight games in February and finished 6th in the Big East. crazy.

good games last night. Only game really looking forward to tonight is the UCLA-Kentucky game. that should be a fun watch.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    In the Purdue game, at the end of the 1st half, the ball was heading out of bounds but hit the butt of the ref and Kansas took it down the court for a dunk. Shouldn't it be a stoppage of play if the ball hits the ref's butt???

I feel like this could lead to a lot of home court cooking if the ref can just deflect a ball and there is no stoppage.
  • Jason P said:

In the Purdue game, at the end of the 1st half, the ball was heading out of bounds but hit the butt of the ref and Kansas took it down the court for a dunk. Shouldn't it be a stoppage of play if the ball hits the ref's butt???

I feel like this could lead to a lot of home court cooking if the ref can just deflect a ball and there is no stoppage.

The officiating has been pretty bad throughout the entire tournament.
    edited March 2017
    The amount of games ending with guys shooting threes is unnecessary and annoying. Drive the ball in and dont worry about making a historic shot.

With 25 seconds to go, stop dribbling around and taking the three, makes no sense.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

Jason P said:

I just talked with someone who coaches BB and if the ref is in play the ball is still live if it bounces off the ref. He said it happens more in middle school games.

Still have to give Kansas credit for going NBA Jam "On Fire" in the 2nd half.

The amount of games ending with guys shooting threes is unnecessary and annoying. Drive the ball in and dont worry about making a historic shot.

With 25 seconds to go, stop dribbling around and taking the three, makes no sense.

agree 100%. drives me crazy to see a tied game and guys launch 3s at the buzzer to win it for no reason. dude on west virginia dribbled around for about 10 seconds with 3 guys surrounding him...pass the damn ball. much easier to get a look from 3 off a pass than one guy dribbling around at the end of the game. see nova last year's ncca game. pass the damn ball at the end.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    there has been a whole lot of chances for a game winning buzzer beater....but no game winning buzzer beaters :angry:

I thought princeton and michigan got great looks.....only to miss.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

I just talked with someone who coaches BB and if the ref is in play the ball is still live if it bounces off the ref. He said it happens more in middle school games.

Still have to give Kansas credit for going NBA Jam "On Fire" in the 2nd half.
    It was nuts how Kansas went to a whole nother level in the second half. It made Purdue losing easier to take, even playing their best they wouldn't have been able to beat them. I guess that what a team looks like with 3 five star and 3 four star players.