Should celebrities avoid talking politics to fans ?

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Celebrities should not talk politics to fans.
    Rock bands yes.
    Madonna no.

So, celebrities should not talk politics...but, by all means, run for President?
    President Trump was a celebrity?
    That's actually all he has been for the last 20 years...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

How many fucking highways are being blocked by protests anyway?? I know protests disrupt downtown traffic a lot, but highways and bridges that are the only route in and out of town? Just how often does that even happen? I don't even really see the point of debating such a rare occasion. How about thinking more about what actually happens on a regular basis? That's what really matters. Peaceful protestors being attacked by police is what matters, because that is what happens on a regular basis right now.

I can tell you what happened to me. So whether it was once or 50, it had an effect. You don't have to be for violent police to be against protesters that disrupt everyday lives. You can think both suck.
    No. It is simply my personal belief that those who reject peaceful protest because they were inconvenienced are being very selfish.
    Waiting close 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic on a Thursday afternoon while scrambling to find someone to pikc your child up because you are so late runs a little past the point of inconvenienced.
    I figure as long as it doesn't actually hurt you, suck it up and appreciate that people can protest without getting gunned down (for now).
    What if you were in an ambulance having a heart attack trying to get to a hospital? Are you being selfish for wanting to get to the hospital asap?
    Forget the ambulance, why does someone have the right to break a law and not be held accountable just because they are protesting?
    It isn't selfish to enforce laws, especially those designed for safety reasons.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2017
    Smellyman said:

PJPOWER said:

I really don't care if celebrities talk politics. My problem is with the sheeple that base their political beliefs on what a celebrity says.

I hate it more when people base it off of racism, bigotry, a bible, sexism, hatred and greed.
    Celebrities can preach all of the above as well...
    edited March 2017
    Double post oops
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

How many fucking highways are being blocked by protests anyway?? I know protests disrupt downtown traffic a lot, but highways and bridges that are the only route in and out of town? Just how often does that even happen? I don't even really see the point of debating such a rare occasion. How about thinking more about what actually happens on a regular basis? That's what really matters. Peaceful protestors being attacked by police is what matters, because that is what happens on a regular basis right now.

I can tell you what happened to me. So whether it was once or 50, it had an effect. You don't have to be for violent police to be against protesters that disrupt everyday lives. You can think both suck.
    No. It is simply my personal belief that those who reject peaceful protest because they were inconvenienced are being very selfish.
    Waiting close 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic on a Thursday afternoon while scrambling to find someone to pikc your child up because you are so late runs a little past the point of inconvenienced.
    I figure as long as it doesn't actually hurt you, suck it up and appreciate that people can protest without getting gunned down (for now).
    What if you were in an ambulance having a heart attack trying to get to a hospital? Are you being selfish for wanting to get to the hospital asap?
    Forget the ambulance, why does someone have the right to break a law and not be held accountable just because they are protesting?
    It isn't selfish to enforce laws, especially those designed for safety reasons.
    I wholeheartedly agree. There was a protest in Toronto for issues surrounding the Tamil people, and they blocked the emergency entrance to the hospital. At that point, I think they (rightfully) lost all sympathy.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2017
    PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

So if a group of what you might consider eccentrics block access, by standing in the street, to an abortion clinic or concert, I expect you to appreciate that they are "peacefully protesting" and suck it up. Bonus if they start lighting fires in middle the road or breaking random shit.
    Well first of all, peaceful protest does not involve burning or breaking things, so let's remove that little red herring right now.
    Second, what are you talking about? "Eccentrics" blocking access to an abortion clinic or a concert? Care to elaborate? I said twice now that there are rational exceptions, and your come back is to appeal to an irrational argument. Specifically blocking people from accessing any particular legal medical care is not a rational example. I would need more info re your little scenario about the concert. If there were protestors blocking access to a concert that I had tickets to, I certainly would "suck it up", whatever the reason. I am not a huge baby about cancelled concerts like some people around here are, especially since cancelled concerts generally give refunds. Had I had plans to go to NC for that cancelled Springsteen or PJ show, I'd have been happy to miss it for that cause. In fact, remember when this scenario actually kind of happened, I think for the Forum for the LA PJ concert a few years ago? The union was picketing the forum. I didn't have tickets to that show and they weren't blocking entry of course, since that is kind of an absurd scenario, but if I had had tix to that show, I 100% would have torn up the tix and joined the picket line, since I am a union member and don't cross picket lines. If a concert I was going to was being totally blocked by protestors (not a real example - as far as I know this has never happened) with whom I disagreed... yeah, I'd suck it up. What's the alternative? I certainly wouldn't want people arrested and have a record for peaceful protest, and I wouldn't want to attack them, so.... Of course, this example isn't equivalent to blocking a street, since a street is public property and a music venue generally isn't.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2017

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

No, you're not being selfish for wanting to get to the hospital quickly. If you wanted the ambulance to run over and hurt people so you can get to the hospital faster, yes, that's called being selfish. Look people, living in such a black and white reality must be comforting to some, but how about we come back to reality, where everything is grey?
    Anyway, I stand by this: Just being inconvenienced - yes, even if you're stuck in traffic! Gasp! - is a terrible reason to get pissy about peaceful protest, and an even worse reason to call for jail time for the protestors, I mean wtf? Suck it up. If the protestors are blocking an emergency vehicle route, that is different. No protest should do that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2017
    The problem I have is if the law says don't do X, and you do it while protesting, that shouldn't matter. Anyone doing X should face the same consequences whether they are protesting or not. Whether it is blocking public roads, trespassing on private property, whatever it is. If the law is clear, and you intentionally break the law, you face the consequences. And anyone willing to break the law while protesting should be willing to accept those consequences, or find a different way to protest. Lots places to protest, march down the sidewalk, in a public park. Occupy did it for months without blocking freeways.
    You can't have people choosing when to follow the law, and expect police to choose when to enforce it.
    Or next time I'm pulled over for speeding I'll just tell the cop I'm speeding to find a cure for cancer.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

What really happens when an emergency vehicle comes upon a protest
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    mace1229 said:

The problem I have is if the law says don't do X, and you do it while protesting, that shouldn't matter. Anyone doing X should face the same consequences whether they are protesting or not. Whether it is blocking public roads, trespassing on private property, whatever it is. If the law is clear, and you intentionally break the law, you face the consequences. And anyone willing to break the law while protesting should be willing to accept those consequences, or find a different way to protest. Lots places to protest, march down the sidewalk, in a public park. Occupy did it for months without blocking freeways.
    You can't have people choosing when to follow the law, and expect police to choose when to enforce it.
    Or next time I'm pulled over for speeding I'll just tell the cop I'm speeding to find a cure for cancer.

Right! I do not believe that protests that potentially put the lives of moterists or property in danger can be called "peaceful protests". Popping out your boobs for "free the nipple", smoking pot in mass, chanting your beliefs- all peaceful. Blocking a highway, filled with people trying to get places for potentially life or death reasons= non-peaceful. If any property damage, injuries occurs due to their carelessness, they should be held financially/legally responsible.
    edited March 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have lived the situation. The ambulance wanted to get through a solid crowd of peaceful people (not protestors) for an idiot who decided to try tightrope walking the street car cables and fell. Well, the paramedics didn't get out of the ambulance and walk to the guy with a stretcher (who I was standing about 20 feet from). They easily could have done this - the crowd was willing and able to let them through like that. The ambulance just couldn't get through because there was not enough room for the people to move that much. But they sat there in the vehicle for an extraordinary amount of time, refusing to bring a stretcher to the injured person even though it was safe, and then the cops decided that pepper spray was the best way to move the peaceful, even joyous, crowd. And that is how the Vancouver riot of 1994 started. If the paramedics and the cops had just kept their shit together and used their brains, it would have remained a peaceful gathering rather than causing millions of dollars worth of damage and injuries to many people who were not acting like idiots.
    edited March 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Thanks for the one example, here is one too:
    http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Marchers-Protesting-President-Trumps-Immigration-Policies-Block-Streets-in-New-Haven-412789233.html
    Or do you prefer this one:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvCdAuBBh0U&feature=youtu.be
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited March 2017
    ^^ Did you read the story that CM posted? It did not support the theory that protests really impeded ambulances. And the article you posted doesn't either.
    My experience from when the paramedics and cops started that riot was different in that the person the ambulance wanted to get to was literally in the middle of the crowd, and not somewhere past it (if it had not been the centre of the crowd they were aiming for, they easily could have gone around). As for that video... those idiots are deliberately and specifically blocking an ambulance on purpose. I'm pretty sure there are already laws on the books that make that illegal. That is definitely not the kind of scenario I have been talking about, nor the one that anyone has been talking about IMO. When people specifically block an ambulance on purpose, that is a whole other story.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    The difference in the Minneapolis version was that the people were blocking the street and that's all. What happened in NJ when they closed the GW was that the CARS were causing the traffic jam. They can't just move like people. So if protesters create a traffic jam, that's much different than just individuals moving out of the way.
    Inconvenience is when the grocery store union goes on strike and I have to go to the other side of town to get groceries. This is beyond inconvenience, and is illegal. I really dont know why there is a debate, if something is illegal, being part of a protest should not excuse illegal activity. If you don't, be prepared to be arrested.
    mace1229 said:

Inconvenience is when the grocery store union goes on strike and I have to go to the other side of town to get groceries. This is beyond inconvenience, and is illegal. I really dont know why there is a debate, if something is illegal, being part of a protest should not excuse illegal activity. If you don't, be prepared to be arrested.

There is a debate because it just isn't a black and white issue. Most things aren't.
    mace1229 said:

As a good liberal, I agree with this.
    mace1229 said:

Agreed, well stated.
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Marchers-Protesting-President-Trumps-Immigration-Policies-Block-Streets-in-New-Haven-412789233.html
    Hey, that's great.

So the people rioting and blocking emergency vehicles were arrested for laws already on the books. As it should be.

The problem starts when you use anecdotes like these to oppress speech. When people talk about the right way, the right place, the right time to protest you head down that slippery slope.

"I heard a guy died in an ambulance blocked by protesters once. We should pass a law making protesting legal only on the third Thursday of every other month. But only at the public park on the other side of town from the capitol building. With a permit. And proper security paid for by the protesters."

Not to mention, many organized protests I've seen will put out a statement with a starting and end point. Like a parade. "We're going to meet at the governor's mansion on this time & day, and march to the capitol." Then everyone knows to avoid that area.

Obviously, spontaneous impromptu demonstrations don't have the same luxury. But I have been informed there is no such thing as an spontaneous protest, since they're all really paid protesters being organized by the deep state or something...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    how come all you anti-protest republicans didn't have a problem with a republican governor closing down a bridge? I wonder how many emergency vehicles were slowed or diverted because of that?
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hey, that's great.

So the people rioting and blocking emergency vehicles were arrested for laws already on the books. As it should be.

The problem starts when you use anecdotes like these to oppress speech. When people talk about the right way, the right place, the right time to protest you head down that slippery slope.

"I heard a guy died in an ambulance blocked by protesters once. We should pass a law making protesting legal only on the third Thursday of every other month. But only at the public park on the other side of town from the capitol building. With a permit. And proper security paid for by the protesters."

Not to mention, many organized protests I've seen will put out a statement with a starting and end point. Like a parade. "We're going to meet at the governor's mansion on this time & day, and march to the capitol." Then everyone knows to avoid that area.

Obviously, spontaneous impromptu demonstrations don't have the same luxury. But I have been informed there is no such thing as an spontaneous protest, since they're all really paid protesters being organized by the deep state or something...
    Exactly, thank you.
    my2hands said:

how come all you anti-protest republicans didn't have a problem with a republican governor closing down a bridge? I wonder how many emergency vehicles were slowed or diverted because of that?

I'm not Republican or anti-protest.. and I brought up the NJ bridge several times.. But I still think you should follow the laws when protesting. The goal of a protests should be to garner support for your cause. Anything that turns an ordinary citizen without a dog in the fight, against you, is an unsuccessful protest.
    edited March 2017
    my2hands said:

Who is anti-protest? Everyone here seems like they are anti-blocking highways, not anti-protest. Do not recall anyone here saying they support governors blocking roadways either, but thanks for the false equivalency "whatabout" statement.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

I'm not Republican or anti-protest.. and I brought up the NJ bridge several times.. But I still think you should follow the laws when protesting. The goal of a protests should be to garner support for your cause. Anything that turns an ordinary citizen without a dog in the fight, against you, is an unsuccessful protest.
    According to half the people on this board alone, making someone 10 minutes late to pick their kid up from ballet class will turn them against protestors, no matter what they are protesting. Perhaps immediate local public sentiment isn't actually the end all and be all of how successful a protest is.
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

According to half the people on this board alone, making someone 10 minutes late to pick their kid up from ballet class will turn them against protestors, no matter what they are protesting. Perhaps immediate local public sentiment isn't actually the end all and be all of how successful a protest is.
    And you were the one that mentioned anecdotal arguments...laughable.
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

That was me.. and it wasn't 10 minutes. It was at least 90 minutes, maybe closer to 2 hours. And it was during rush hour. Maybe you don't have kids so you don't think of things this way, but when you're late, you can only imagine (the worst imagination) what is happening with your 7 year old daughter standing? waiting? sitting? outside waiting for you. The worst thoughts go through your mind.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

loonies

Must be all the goat's milk.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.
    All publicity is good if it is intelligent.
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
    edited March 2017
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

my2hands said:

That was me.. and it wasn't 10 minutes. It was at least 90 minutes, maybe closer to 2 hours. And it was during rush hour. Maybe you don't have kids so you don't think of things this way, but when you're late, you can only imagine (the worst imagination) what is happening with your 7 year old daughter standing? waiting? sitting? outside waiting for you. The worst thoughts go through your mind.
    I wasn't thinking about you at all. It was hyperbole (were you really late picking your kid up from ballet class?? If so, that is a funny coincidence!). Anyway, I'm sure that with smartphones and everything, your 7 year old isn't getting stranded on a street corner by her dance teacher. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but let's stay realistic here. You are able to keep in touch pretty easily these days to prevent nightmare scenarios. Perhaps we shouldn't base our belief systems on our worst imaginations, eh?

But come on man, now you're suggesting a person needs to have kids to understand?
    the root base for conservatives issue is the protests in general... I know it, you know it... so you guys on the right are sticking to this blocking traffic thing like this is some national epidemic because when you all originally spoke out about the protests, people came right back and reminded you it was as American as apple pie to protest... so then you had to shift and find some part of the protests that were easy targets... that's why you overly focus on the few knuckleheads that riot & loot, or the few times a road is blocked... that's not your real issue, your real issue is the protest and protesters in general

This discussion has been closed.