Is CNN "jumping the shark tank" ?

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited March 2017 in A Moving Train
forget about the Hindu good or bad fears, this guy actually ate human brains !
it's no big secrete CNN has been targeted for their news stories and lately I've noticed they really ramped up their advertising and show/movie menu,
I have a feeling that bigger changes are in the future for CNN, maybe CEO or management changes or possibly even the sale of the network ? who knows..

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/10/reza-aslan-eats-human-brain-on-new-cnn-show-believer.html
Post edited by Godfather. on

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

it's no big secrete CNN has been targeted for their news stories and lately I've noticed they really ramped up their advertising and show/movie menu,
    I have a feeling that bigger changes are in the future for CNN, maybe CEO or management changes or possibly even the sale of the network ? who knows..

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/10/reza-aslan-eats-human-brain-on-new-cnn-show-believer.html

I think I may have mentioned this in another thread a while back, but anyway, I was watching CNN, and they were doing a piece on the "silver helmets" or something, can't recall what it was called (the people in Syria that help those ravaged by the war), and I thought it was a news piece. It segwayed into an ad for the movie. after that, it seemed like the entire thing was an ad for the movie. it was weird.

I think surmising a change in management or sale of the network might be stretching it though.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

I think I may have mentioned this in another thread a while back, but anyway, I was watching CNN, and they were doing a piece on the "silver helmets" or something, can't recall what it was called (the people in Syria that help those ravaged by the war), and I thought it was a news piece. It segwayed into an ad for the movie. after that, it seemed like the entire thing was an ad for the movie. it was weird.

I think surmising a change in management or sale of the network might be stretching it though.
    The Oscar winning White Helmets

https://youtu.be/3wj4ncIEDxw
    white helmets. yes, that's it. didn't realize it won an oscar.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and just a question......who besides Trump has been targeting CNN for their news stories? I still find them as reputable as they come.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

and just a question......who besides Trump has been targeting CNN for their news stories? I still find them as reputable as they come.
    social media has been tearing them up, things with the network seem on a panic mode, not that I actually know anything about network programing I'm just saying from a viewers point things seem odd.

social media has been tearing them up, things with the network seem on a panic mode, not that I actually know anything about network programing I'm just saying from a viewers point things seem odd.

well, social media feeds aren't a good barometer for how the general public feels. people generally subscribe to feeds that align with their views, so your feeds probably tear CNN and Obama a new one, my feeds tear Fox and Trump a new one. Although, some folks at Fox have "come around" of late, like Shep Smith, which to me is very telling.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2017
    I really don't understand the bizarre reaction to that brain-eating thing. Yeah, it's fucking weird to eat human brains, but damn, it's some weird religious sect, and I see nothing wrong with doing a story on it. I gather some figured it would make people think all Hindus eat human brains or something stupid like that. Honestly, anyone who would come to that conclusion isn't worth paying any attention to. I think the more we know about this world the better. That includes weirdo, cannibalistic religious sects. To me, it was a legitimate human interest story.
    But FWIW, that guy who ate the brains is nuts. I'd never eat human brains, lol. It immediately makes me think about mad cow disease - the cows got that from being forced into cannibalism. I mean, I don't know what head those brains were in, you know?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    PJ_Soul said:

I really don't understand the bizarre reaction to that brain-eating thing. Yeah, it's fucking weird to eat human brains, but damn, it's some weird religious sect, and I see nothing wrong with doing a story on it. I gather some figured it would make people think all Hindus eat human brains or something stupid like that. Honestly, anyone who would come to that conclusion isn't worth paying any attention to. I think the more we know about this world the better. That includes weirdo, cannibalistic religious sects. To me, it was a legitimate human interest story.
    But FWIW, that guy who ate the brains is nuts. I'd never eat human brains, lol. It immediately makes me think about mad cow disease - the cows got that from being forced into cannibalism. I mean, I don't know what head those brains were in, you know?

haha!!! I completely agree...there is no way in hell I'd ever eat brains.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    CNN needs to dial back some of the strange twitter stories.

For example: "Why the world needs this Beyonce pregnancy more than ever"... or something along those lines. I would expect these articles from an entertainment twitter page, but CNN has been pushing them out consistently recently. And to me that means a slow pursuit after tabloid status.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    CNN can get dramatic, but I really recommend Fareed Zakaria's show that's on Sunday mornings. Low drama, high quality with facts and historical references and has a more international perspective. In a way it can be oddly calming, even when he's talking about what ridiculous things trump did for the week.
    edited March 2017

CNN needs to dial back some of the strange twitter stories.

For example: "Why the world needs this Beyonce pregnancy more than ever"... or something along those lines. I would expect these articles from an entertainment twitter page, but CNN has been pushing them out consistently recently. And to me that means a slow pursuit after tabloid status.

I totally agree with that. I haven't really noticed they've been doing that since I rarely use Twitter, but if they are, that is ridiculous. I have noticed that TIME magazine does a lot of fluff stories like that on facebook, and it is SUPER annoying. It is 100% clickbait crap, and the motivation is clear: money, made via the lowest common denominator.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Well CNN is now producing a report on Melanie Trump: The Making Of the first Lady. I hope this story will keep them on the air..
    Didn't know she could speak up six languages.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

well, social media feeds aren't a good barometer for how the general public feels. people generally subscribe to feeds that align with their views, so your feeds probably tear CNN and Obama a new one, my feeds tear Fox and Trump a new one. Although, some folks at Fox have "come around" of late, like Shep Smith, which to me is very telling.
    believe it or not social media is barometer used by the music industry, a label wants to see how many youtube hits your band gets etc. but as far as the news goes ? you may be right.

edited March 2017
    g under p said:

Well CNN is now producing a report on Melanie Trump: The Making Of the first Lady. I hope this story will keep them on the air..
    Didn't know she could speak up six languages.

Peace

I seriously doubt she speaks 6 languages fluently, but in any case, it's not unusual for Eastern Europeans with any kind of post secondary education to speak at least 2 or 3 languages, so as cool as that may seem, I wouldn't really consider that a specifically telling or impressive statistic when it comes to Melania Trump. I know many Eastern Europeans (there are a lot of them immigrating to where I live over the past 10 years or so), and just about all of them speak multiple languages because their borders are so close in that region and the opportunities to learn other languages over there are plentiful. It kind of a part of the education culture over there to learn languages.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited March 2017
    and here in Taiwan most speak Taiwanese, Mandarin and English and some even other lesser known dialects.

It wows native English speakers, to them it is just normal.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Only trump thumpers think cnn has been targeted or spreads fake news.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    The hard core trumper now call everything criticsl of trump fake news. Even obvious, basic facts. But trump tweets about an Obama wire tapp? Instant fact. It's pretty scary.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936

Says the guy who follows Faux News
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Says the guy who follows Faux News
    just a prediction, no need to get all defensive.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Jumping the shark is a reference to the Fonz on Happy Days. Shark tank is a TV show featuring Mark Cuban which I don't believe has been jumped.

Jason P said:

Jumping the shark is a reference to the Fonz on Happy Days. Shark tank is a TV show featuring Mark Cuban which I don't believe has been jumped.

yes, I was referring the Fonz and the meaning it took on in Hollywood....I can't believe you remember the Fonz jumping the shark tank on water skis......you're ooooollllld LOL !

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    CNN jumped the shark at the beginning of the campaign. they would show trump's empty podium rather than cut to actual news.

pathetic display of "journalism". whatever that word means anymore...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

CNN jumped the shark at the beginning of the campaign. they would show trump's empty podium rather than cut to actual news.

Normalized him the whole way with their look what zany thing trump did today, oh and here's grampy Sanders for 3 seconds. Cut to Anderson Cooper's whoopsies face election night.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129

Normalized him the whole way with their look what zany thing trump did today, oh and here's grampy Sanders for 3 seconds. Cut to Anderson Cooper's whoopsies face election night.
    liberal media?

right.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

The hard core trumper now call everything criticsl of trump fake news. Even obvious, basic facts. But trump tweets about an Obama wire tapp? Instant fact. It's pretty scary.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

white helmets. yes, that's it. didn't realize it won an oscar.

Which is a tragedy of epic proportions ... these fucking war mongering regime change neo-liberals actually fund fake propaganda films as documentaries now ...
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Its getting really hard to find what the truth is these days. Every side is biased and has some sort of hidden agenda,or won't report truth because it might offend a group of people or country or whatever. Seems that you have to dig through multiple sources,then compare and make up your own mind as to what to believe is real. Seems to be too much of a hassle for a lot of people.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    joseph33 said:

Its getting really hard to find what the truth is these days. Every side is biased and has some sort of hidden agenda,or won't report truth because it might offend a group of people or country or whatever. Seems that you have to dig through multiple sources,then compare and make up your own mind as to what to believe is real. Seems to be too much of a hassle for a lot of people.

yes and no ... the hard part is removing your personal bias in your research ...