Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Ok. Going to post pics now.

Ok. Going to post pics now.

Pics are posted in
    The Nature thread over on The Art Wall.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Very cool. Just checked them out.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :whistle: you can do side bends and sit ups but please don't lose that butt :whistle:

Whoooooopppshhhhhhhh!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:

:whistle: you can do side bends and sit ups but please don't lose that butt :whistle:

Whoooooopppshhhhhhhh!

Turn around, stick it out. Even white boys got to shout!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    How's everybody doing?
    I went off my diet to avoid a cold and focus on cultivating some muscle mass, I haven't gained any weight yet so I'm happy about that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:

How's everybody doing?
    I went off my diet to avoid a cold and focus on cultivating some muscle mass, I haven't gained any weight yet so I'm happy about that.

Okay, I'm completely curious as to how going off your diet helped to avoid a cold. Were viruses a big part of your diet before?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

rgambs said:

How's everybody doing?

Okay, I'm completely curious as to how going off your diet helped to avoid a cold. Were viruses a big part of your diet before?
    I think I know what he meant.
    Hope you're feeling better Gambs.

rgambs said:

How's everybody doing?

Hahaha yeah, I was eating viruses left and right!

My wife came down with a bug so I went on a regimen of lots of fluids, plenty of food, lower intensity workouts, and as much sleep as I could get. Any stress you can avoid will help support your immune system, I don't believe in miracles cures but I do believe in reduced stress leading to far less illness. I read an article about a study that showed those who don't work out get sick at above average rates, those who work out up to 3 times a week get sick less than average, and those who train intensively more than 3 times a week get sick at even higher rates than those who don't work out at all. I'd bet the same correlation could be made with amounts of sleep, though I wouldn't expect the diminished returns at the far end.
    I got a thickness in my throat for a day and a day of half sniffles and it went away so I am all good! I am staying off my diet for a while, I want to focus on building muscle underneath before I strip the fat away over the top, I was plateaued anyways.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Life is getting in the way of me being able to workout with any consistency...and it's driving me crazy. April should calm down and let me get back to my preferred routine.

Interesting study there rgambs. Based on my history, I have a lot of trouble believing that though. I hardly ever get sick (knock on wood) and that's in my fat and lazy days, my slightly less fat and workout every day days, and the in between. With my wife being a nurse and being exposed to lots of viruses and such, it's pretty amazing that I don't get sick more often. I'm sure that this probably isn't the norm and that for the general population it holds true.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    edited March 2017
    in 2011 when I would run 4 miles I wouldn't feel better and it was kindof odd. About 5 years earlier, when I would run 4 miles I would feel better as I ran. Then in 2013 I had heart surgery which suggests my heart was probably in a bad way in 2011.

So, the past year I was concerned that I stop all the time when I run. Is it me, or is my heart telling me something. I went to a routine cardiology appointment and I asked the staff why this happens. It doesn't look like my heart has changed, so that's good. We were wondering that maybe with my heart pills and my ICD that my heart was not able to respond to exercise by increasing rate, and as a result I was psyched-out from trying. If that was the case the ICD could be reprogrammed to respond more to the motion of my heart. To find the answer I was on a heart holter for a day. When I went on the rowing machine and the treadmill, my heart rate increased the more I exercised just like someone with a typical heart.

The moral of the story is that it is all in my head! Yay! I keep trying to find a reason to not exercise, and the cardiologists keep saying, nope, you must exercise. I still don't have an excuse, but it's better than being told something is wrong that I can't control. I've also come to terms with the fact that I don't like to exercise; however most of the time after exercising I usually feel good. Basically, I'm just like everyone else, and trying to find the inspiration to exercise. It's there, I know it is. Pearl Jam concerts usually inspire me.

Also, a new option is that I can hold on to the heart-rate bar on the treadmill instead of stopping. In that way I may not psych myself out.

I expect to exercise later today . . . maybe. :)
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    45 minutes on the stationary bike
    7 minutes on the rowing machine
    .25 miles running on the treadmill

I'm good with it.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

45 minutes on the stationary bike
    7 minutes on the rowing machine
    .25 miles running on the treadmill

I'm good with it.

Way to go!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Really defining - starting to notice more. Shoulders down. Stubborn belly fat though! Turning 39 in a few weeks. My goal is to lose all belly fat by 40.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited March 2017
    Here is a podcast of Rich Roll and David Goggins. David Goggins is former Navy Seal and an endurance athlete, and had heart issues, too. I'm posting this in case it may give you a spark of inspiration. Part of it is interesting, and may help a listener find her/his purpose. What do you think? I don't have a warrior mentality, and I don't want it, but I like working on the mental issues while accomplishing goals.

richroll.com/podcast/david-goggins/
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    So last week I started slim fast with my lunch. Breakfast I have a cup of coffee and a cliff bar. Wanted to meet my daily needs so I added vanilla slim fast for lunch with some pieces of cubed cheese berries salad tuna banana cucumber - not all of that for lunch but I would put a little something with my shake. No snacks. 16 oz of water or just plan unsweetened black tea. Dinner I ate whatever. I was energized.

My point I noticed a difference in my energy. And I hate to admit it :lol:

I know this is nothing ground breaking but it hit me like a brick wall.

I've been trying to force the water down. For some reason I am struggling.

Gum and mints have helped keep my mouth busy.
    FoxyRedLa said:

So last week I started slim fast with my lunch. Breakfast I have a cup of coffee and a cliff bar. Wanted to meet my daily needs so I added vanilla slim fast for lunch with some pieces of cubed cheese berries salad tuna banana cucumber - not all of that for lunch but I would put a little something with my shake. No snacks. 16 oz of water or just plan unsweetened black tea. Dinner I ate whatever. I was energized.

Did you notice a difference in the morning or was it after the salad?

From my walk the other day. I have only been able to average a mile a day this week. :angry: , but I can't complain, because I have been working my tail off at work! So considering I am lifting and moving 40-75 lb boxes of product onto shelves/building shelves... that's exercise, right?? :lol:

From my walk the other day. I have only been able to average a mile a day this week. :angry: , but I can't complain, because I have been working my tail off at work! So considering I am lifting and moving 40-75 lb boxes of product onto shelves/building shelves... that's exercise, right?? :lol:

It's activity for sure! I don't know if I would classify it as exercise, myself.
    I have had packaging jobs where moved 10-30 pound parcels back and forth from shelves and floor constantly for 12 hours, and it never got me in shape. It was high activity, and good for burning Cal's, but I don't consider something exercise unless it makes you get in shape.
    Not really an important distinction, what matters is only how you feel! Colorado is the best, if it wasn't so commercial we would move there in a heartbeat.
    Ms. Haiku said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Did you notice a difference in the morning or was it after the salad?
    It was actually when I got home. I have 3 kids to keep up with and I was not sluggish. I noticed wow I'm not tired yet? Ha! And let me clarify I had this realization around 10pm. Normally I would barely be able to hold my eyes open by 845-9 - on the days now I realized I really packed on the pasta or similar. And I thought about what I ate the past few days and it hit me.

When I eat pasta I now know that it will put me to sleep. Where before I easily would have said wow these kids and schedule whew I'm whooped.

I also noticed at work I don't snack as much after lunch.

So today I had my shake I had tuna with cucumber and a handful of cubed cheese. I'm now working on the water for the afternoon. When I think I'm hungry I'll drink some water move to a couple mints or gum it works for me and I go home hungry for dinner.

Oh I had a cutie orange too with lunch. Had my normal coffee and cliff bar for breakfast.

I guess my :lightbulb: was I used my busy schedule and multiple kids busyness as an excuse. It was the food. It's a long story but I don't get much sleep and work long hours and have little kids that depend on me for a daily necessities yet so I assumed it was them.

Now gotta work on getting my walk back in daily.
    rgambs said:

It's activity for sure! I don't know if I would classify it as exercise, myself.
    I have had packaging jobs where moved 10-30 pound parcels back and forth from shelves and floor constantly for 12 hours, and it never got me in shape. It was high activity, and good for burning Cal's, but I don't consider something exercise unless it makes you get in shape.
    Not really an important distinction, what matters is only how you feel! Colorado is the best, if it wasn't so commercial we would move there in a heartbeat.
    Yeah I
    Just read an article about your muscles memorizing movement patterns, and they mentioned work, even high activity jobs, not counting g is your body acclimates to the repetitiveness. So that shot my theory! Just curious, what do you mean by Colorado being commercial?

rgambs said:

Yeah I
    Just read an article about your muscles memorizing movement patterns, and they mentioned work, even high activity jobs, not counting g is your body acclimates to the repetitiveness. So that shot my theory! Just curious, what do you mean by Colorado being commercial?
    It is hugely popular because it is so beautiful, and it has been getting more expensive to live there and harder to find work for years. When I was a kid we would drive back and forth between Ft Collins, Loveland, and Boulder and see nothing but prairie dogs and now we see nothing but housing developments and strip malls. It's sort of depressing.
    The bigger issue is that professionals have flooded the state and that makes it hard to compete in a medical or law practice, especially with the sky-high housing market.
    Since legal pot things have only become worse and it just doesn't seem like a great option anymore.
    We bought a 3 bed house and barn on 5 acres with a natural spring and a natural gas well for $95,000 here in Ohio...No such thing in Colorado!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

All the weed you'll ever need right there. Right in front of you.
    www.cluthelee.com
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah I
    It is hugely popular because it is so beautiful, and it has been getting more expensive to live there and harder to find work for years. When I was a kid we would drive back and forth between Ft Collins, Loveland, and Boulder and see nothing but prairie dogs and now we see nothing but housing developments and strip malls. It's sort of depressing.
    The bigger issue is that professionals have flooded the state and that makes it hard to compete in a medical or law practice, especially with the sky-high housing market.
    Since legal pot things have only become worse and it just doesn't seem like a great option anymore.
    We bought a 3 bed house and barn on 5 acres with a natural spring and a natural gas well for $95,000 here in Ohio...No such thing in Colorado!
    Good point. I moved here to help my dad when they discovered the Pancreatic cancer, but it was the best move I ever made. I don't know if I'll leave..

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah I
    Good point. I moved here to help my dad when they discovered the Pancreatic cancer, but it was the best move I ever made. I don't know if I'll leave..
    It's pretty damn awesome! It's our second favorite place in the world!
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah I
    Yes. Expensive, yes, especially Colorado Springs, but thanks to being raised in California.. I am well aware of how hard I'll have to work to obtain things here. It's just so awe inspiringly beautiful.. that I am willing to work my butt off to stay. ( I honestly don't recall ever having felt that way about anywhere else I have lived.)

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Yeah I
    Yes. Expensive, yes, especially Colorado Springs, but thanks to being raised in California.. I am well aware of how hard I'll have to work to obtain things here. It's just so awe inspiringly beautiful.. that I am willing to work my butt off to stay. ( I honestly don't recall ever having felt that way about anywhere else I have lived.)
    Move to Bolzano or Innsbruck, everything is 100 times better than Colorado, which is 100 times better than everywhere else lol
    The eternal catch-22! Lol
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Been missing you guys! After a hiatus I'm back on board.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    I've been eating like a fat slob for a couple weeks under the guise that I am packing on muscle mass, I have been lifting intensely every day and skipping cardio all but once or twice a week.
    It's been fun!!
    Sunday the diet resumes, back to miles a day and 1000-1200 calories. Should be less fun, but I am excited to peel some fat off the muscles that have exploded this last month.