Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I've only played 2 hours and have yet to find a goddamn sword
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Jason P said:

Hahahaha!
    Even when you find one, it won't last.
    Keep the good weapons for the big enemies. If you use a nice sword on the easy guys, you'll have nothing left when a big dude comes along.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mca47 said:

Jason P said:

Hahahaha!
    Even when you find one, it won't last.
    Keep the good weapons for the big enemies. If you use a nice sword on the easy guys, you'll have nothing left when a big dude comes along.
    And always carry a torch. But be sure not to use it in battle.
    Have been ignoring Zelda because I watched one of my friends playing Dark Souls 3 and this happened ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZGmeg23ICQ
    Still haven't finished DS3. Ugh!
    Gotta get back to that at some point!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Is the "new" Mario Kart 8 that's coming out allow for online matches?
    If so, us Switch people should have some battles!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Has anyone gave a good review of the Switch yet?

I'm curious as to how or if it is better than the wii U?

IGN did a good "one week after getting the Switch" review. They all liked it much more than when they first got it.

I like it. Granted, there aren't many games, and I've only played Zelda. The system is really solid. Connected to the TV or handheld, it works really well. I also got the "pro" controller and I would say it's close to PS4, XBox quality.

I'm a Playstation guy and haven't owned a Nintendo product since the original NES. I do have the NES mini now. I was recommend this system to anyone.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mca47 said:

IGN did a good "one week after getting the Switch" review. They all liked it much more than when they first got it.

I like it. Granted, there aren't many games, and I've only played Zelda. The system is really solid. Connected to the TV or handheld, it works really well. I also got the "pro" controller and I would say it's close to PS4, XBox quality.

I'm a Playstation guy and haven't owned a Nintendo product since the original NES. I do have the NES mini now. I was recommend this system to anyone.
    TY much!

Anybody else?
    Almost 2 weeks later my only complaint is....

Zelda is difficult as all holy-fuckin-get-out!!! I'm pretty sure I will NEVER come close to beating this game. Just gonna run around with 5 heart containers & shitty weapons and get killed every 5 minutes for as long as I ever play the game.

Zelda is difficult as all holy-fuckin-get-out!!! I'm pretty sure I will NEVER come close to beating this game. Just gonna run around with 5 heart containers & shitty weapons and get killed every 5 minutes for as long as I ever play the game.

Really? I find the exact opposite to be true. I initially went about 10 hours and only died twice...and one was due to me falling off a cliff.
    Don't know my current hours, but I'm at 7 hearts now. It's definitely harder now and I've opened up 75% of the map now. I spent a good while just working my way to the regional towers so I could at least have a better look at maps/landscape.
    There are some parts of the map I still won't go to as I'm nowhere near that level yet.
    Most of the common enemies I just run up and beat the hell out of them. The tougher ones, I use stealth, strategy and ranged attacks to bring them down. Using the environment and obstacles is key. High ground, where they can't get you, or if they are shooting lasers or powerful ranged weapons...I will often move around to their backside and hit and run. You can take down really tough dudes that way...as long as you have enough weapons and food to make it through the battle.
    The Korak seeds (don't know if I spelled that right) are huge too. Collect enough of those and trade them in for weapon or bow slots makes a world of difference. Look under any rock you can pick up and you'll find some.
    In hindsight, I should have pre-ordered the pro switch controller. I have a feeling it's gonna be a few months to find one at retail price. Oh well, at least I got the switch.

Jason P said:

In hindsight, I should have pre-ordered the pro switch controller. I have a feeling it's gonna be a few months to find one at retail price. Oh well, at least I got the switch.

You'll love the Pro controller! I was skeptical when I pre-ordered it...especially since it costs MORE than a PS4 or XBone controller.
    If you were to rate the PS4 and XBone controllers as 10's, the Switch Pro is probably a 9.
    The battery life on the thing is pretty awesome too. You get 40 hours of gameplay out of it.
    I believe the PS4's is 7-8 hours and the Xbone is around 20.
    Pretty impressive.
    The only thing I don't like about it...and it's pretty stupid...

The "X" button is at the top. Having played Playstation controllers for so long with their "X" at the bottom. Took some getting used to.
    mca47 said:

Jason P said:

You'll love the Pro controller! I was skeptical when I pre-ordered it...especially since it costs MORE than a PS4 or XBone controller.
    If you were to rate the PS4 and XBone controllers as 10's, the Switch Pro is probably a 9.
    The battery life on the thing is pretty awesome too. You get 40 hours of gameplay out of it.
    I believe the PS4's is 7-8 hours and the Xbone is around 20.
    Pretty impressive.
    Price held me back from pre-order. I thought the WiiU Pro controller was pretty cheap build quality and was leery of plucking down $70 bucks if the switch was the same. IGN said it is close to Xbox360 feel, which is a high compliment.
    mca47 said:

Really? I find the exact opposite to be true. I initially went about 10 hours and only died twice...and one was due to me falling off a cliff.
    Don't know my current hours, but I'm at 7 hearts now. It's definitely harder now and I've opened up 75% of the map now. I spent a good while just working my way to the regional towers so I could at least have a better look at maps/landscape.
    There are some parts of the map I still won't go to as I'm nowhere near that level yet.
    Most of the common enemies I just run up and beat the hell out of them. The tougher ones, I use stealth, strategy and ranged attacks to bring them down. Using the environment and obstacles is key. High ground, where they can't get you, or if they are shooting lasers or powerful ranged weapons...I will often move around to their backside and hit and run. You can take down really tough dudes that way...as long as you have enough weapons and food to make it through the battle.
    The Korak seeds (don't know if I spelled that right) are huge too. Collect enough of those and trade them in for weapon or bow slots makes a world of difference. Look under any rock you can pick up and you'll find some.
    I've never played one of these "open world" games before. The last system I had was a PS2. I'm a complete newcomer when it comes to the style of games people have been playing for the last 10-15 years. I've put about 20 hours into it so far and I haven't advanced much. I really loathe some of the controls. I hate that the camera angle keeps panning around me as I walk. Just fucking stay behind me and slightly above so I can see where the hell I'm going!!! And the left stick... I always end up pressing down (unintentionally) and crouching when I try to make a quick turnaround. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
    I try to use the landscape in battle and somehow I still wind up getting killed every time. Last night, I kept climbing down a cliff wall to escape some monsters until they retreated enough that I could attack again. Wouldn't you know it one of those fuckers eventually climbed down after me and kept chucking rocks he was breaking off the cliff wall at me (with 100% accuracy, nonetheless), until he got close enough to jab me with a fucking spear. Absolutely incredible! I didn't think they were able to climb up or down cliffs unless it was a part you could walk on!
    I got about a dozen of those seeds last night. Definitely need to warp my ass back to the maraca man for more inventory slots.
    Right on man. I guess it would be a bit of a challenge if you haven't played anything like that before.
    I haven't really had much of the camera angle thing happen. Though, even when I'm walking I'm often panning it around to see what's out there.
    A couple of non-battle things I would suggest to make things go a little smoother...
    Def find the maraca guy and turn those seeds in. I've opened up more slots and it helps to have more weapons in the inventory.
    Hunt big animals. The prime meats can be sold for a lot and when cooking, they make some of the best recipes with bigtime bonus stats.
    Open up as many of the regional towers as possible. Some are tough to get to, and many are surrounded by enemies, but it makes finding things WAY easier. I spent one entire session doing just this and it's helped a lot! If you do this, you can also forgot about getting a stupid horse, because it allows you to fast travel between them all.
    Never sell the mechanical springs, and such. They are later used to upgrade your runes in the Sheika Slate.
    Armor up! Many towns have tailors that sell expensive but quality armor. Shit is expensive, but it's worth it. Many armor pieces have stat bonuses too. Like resistance to cold, heat, etc. If I find some nice new armor and dont' have the funds...I like to go hunting. Those prime meats are pricey and take little to no effort. If you make them into recipes, they are worth more and you'll have the money to buy that armor in no time!
    Keep an eye on the weapon stats. If I find a new weapon, I check it compared to everything else I have. If it's not better than my worst weapon, I drop it.
    Some quests will have you follow a path. Do this loosely. The harder enemies are usually found along these paths. So if a path I'm to follow has me go through a valley or by a river, I'll travel over the valley or on the other side of the river, etc.
    Don't know if you've found the shrine that teaches you how to "fight". But locking on to an enemy allows you to do the dodge and backflip, when timed right allows you to counter with a frenzy attack.
    Side quests! Many of them are easy and the rewards for doing them are usually pretty good.

You probably know a lot of these already, but just wanted to share some thoughts to make it easier.
    Definitely a big thanks for all the tips!! I didn't realize you could open up the towers. Now that I know that, I'll be on my way to finding them. I've seen a few of them in the distance but have never made my way toward them. Never thought about hunting and selling prime meat either. I've mostly been venturing out trying to find pieces of ore to sell. Hunting would be a lot quicker and easier to obtain. I forget where it is, but I know there was one place pretty early on where a shit ton of deer were running around. I didn't have many arrows then and my food stock was low since I was just starting out, so I was keeping everything I gathered.
    I did complete that shrine you're talking about... I just always forget about those moves in battle. I had a heck of a time with the side-step move, but got the backflip on the first try. I've mostly been hacking and slashing my way through things. Gonna have to start practicing when I have a single enemy to deal with.
    I got 2 more shrines completed last night and found a third but it was 3am and I was getting frustrated (and tired) so I gave up and went to bed. It's the one where you have to move the swings with magnesis. I either couldn't get the swings going in the direction needed without swaying the other way or I couldn't time my jumps correctly. One that I found last night that I thought was really fun was the one with the rotating wall. Took me a while to figure it out but I really enjoyed getting thru it.
    I love logic and my degree is in mathematics so I enjoy problem solving. So I do love that the game really makes you think, even though sometimes I'm simply left scratching my head in total wonder.
    Yeah, some of the shrines puzzles are super easy and some of them take a little thought and patience. There is only one that I have yet to solve...and I refuse to look online for help.

The towers are key. If you look at the map of the great plateau, you can see much more detail on the map than other places. As soon as you crawl up a tower and unlock it, that detail will open up for that region. And, even if you haven't been to a location in that region, you can at least see the name and how to get there on the map. It also shows you where lakes, mountain and "roads" and things are too.
    And as mentioned before, you can fast travel between all the towers too. This saves a TON of time getting around. And when you're at a tower, paragliding to a location save time as well.
    Arrows and a good bow are IMO more important than a melee weapon. I try to stick to more ranged attacks, and they are key for hunting and drawing guys out. And more often than not, if you sneak up to a camp, a well placed arrow can knock out many of the enemies without even having to draw your sword. ANd there are some enemies who are like cyclops. They are huge and tough, but an arrow to the eye and they are toast! ha
    Got to that shrine in Zelda that is sitting out in the middle of the ocean. Easy enough to get there if you glide from atop the cliff.
    The battle was much beyond what I was capable of Fn robot has 3000 hp and would one hit kill me at 8 stars. No "chipping away" at this one. There is also a shrine right by that cliff you jump off of. Similar robot, but only at 1500. Beat him. Went through probably 6 different weapons and 2 shields before I took that bastard down.
    Still having a lot of fun with this game!
    I found that shrine as well but I used Cryonis blocks to get to it. As soon as it said "Major Test of Strength" I was like, fuck this, I'm out. Lol. I also found one that was a "Modest Test of Strength" and got my ass handed to me in that one as well. And there have been 2 "Minor Test of Strength" trials I've found. The first one was easy, 3 regular arrows and done without taking any damage. The other one was more of a challenge. I died twice but 3rd time was a success. It still took bomb arrows and several melee attacks.

I now have 4 towers activated. I've been to 3 others but the enemies surrounding them are too much for me at the moment.

I have the elephant divine beast on my side now as well. I took control of the machine a few days ago but couldn't beat the boss. I came back later with bomb arrows (and a few more heart containers & a lot more food) and he proved rather easy.

I found that shrine as well but I used Cryonis blocks to get to it. As soon as it said "Major Test of Strength" I was like, fuck this, I'm out. Lol. I also found one that was a "Modest Test of Strength" and got my ass handed to me in that one as well. And there have been 2 "Minor Test of Strength" trials I've found. The first one was easy, 3 regular arrows and done without taking any damage. The other one was more of a challenge. I died twice but 3rd time was a success. It still took bomb arrows and several melee attacks.

I now have 4 towers activated. I've been to 3 others but the enemies surrounding them are too much for me at the moment.

I have the elephant divine beast on my side now as well. I took control of the machine a few days ago but couldn't beat the boss. I came back later with bomb arrows (and a few more heart containers & a lot more food) and he proved rather easy.

Yeah, I beat that divine beast boss just by running around shooting arrows at it. I figured that boss would have been harder...as some of the random monsters are tougher than that dude.
    Not sure how the "friend" system works on the Switch. I think that recently went live.
    But if anyone wants to add me, my profile name is "mca47". Also the same for my PlayStation account.
    When Mario Kart comes out, we should set up some battles!
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Saw this on Reddit today - Curved Switch
    First time I've heard this so I wouldn't read too much into it, but interesting nonetheless.
    edited April 2017
    Got the Master Sword last night and did all the Korok shrine trials. When I first went into the Lost Woods, I kept getting swallowed by the fog but eventually figured out the trick. (Follow the embers!) The Korok shrines weren't bad at all. The only one that gave me trouble was the one where you had to stealthily follow the Korok. He kept sighting me at the same point every time I'd try (even with a stealth elixir), but when I hung back too far at that point I'd lose sight of him. But at that point I was close enough that I just hung back and used my shrine radar.

Also, by total accident, I figured out a cool trick with the defunct Guardian ruins. If you Magnesis a metal object up against them (a sword or shield works great), you can flip some of them over and they'll drop Ancient Cores! This is even after you search them and pick up the usual screw, spring, or gear.

EDIT: Oh yeah, finally unlocked the entire map last weekend.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on

Got the Master Sword last night and did all the Korok shrine trials. When I first went into the Lost Woods, I kept getting swallowed by the fog but eventually figured out the trick. (Follow the embers!) The Korok shrines weren't bad at all. The only one that gave me trouble was the one where you had to stealthily follow the Korok. He kept sighting me at the same point every time I'd try (even with a stealth elixir), but when I hung back too far at that point I'd lose sight of him. But at that point I was close enough that I just hung back and used my shrine radar.

Also, by total accident, I figured out a cool trick with the defunct Guardian ruins. If you Magnesis a metal object up against them (a sword or shield works great), you can flip some of them over and they'll drop Ancient Cores! This is even after you search them and pick up the usual screw, spring, or gear.

EDIT: Oh yeah, finally unlocked the entire map last weekend.

Damn, you are way ahead of me! How is that master sword? I heard you have to have like 13 or so hearts to pull it...is that right? I think i'm around 9 now.
    Those Korok trials I find to be annoying! The one where you have to follow the guy to the shrine...I think he caught me 4-5 times before I passed it.
    I was playing one of the trials last night on the plane. It's the one where you can only use and have to keep equipped the weapons they give you. I tried it like 6-7 times and kept failing. I think I drown in that swamp at least 5 times and didn't really know where to go! The first few times, I tried to run passed the enemies without fighting them...that didn't work. I was so tired and crabby last night, I was this close to yelling "Fuck!" and throwing my Switch, but I figured the authorities would probably be waiting for me when we landed! LOL
    Good tip on the guardians! I'm gonna have to try that!
    13 is definitely the magic number to pull the Master Sword. I had 13 exactly and it broke free on the last 1/4 heart. Has to be red hearts, too. You can't cheat the system by using the yellow ones.

The Master Sword itself isn't that great out in the open. Only has 30 attack power. And while it is a permanent weapon and doesn't break, per se, it will "lose energy" after so many hits and takes 10 minutes to recharge before you can equip it again (similar to the Hyrule Champion abilities). However, when you're around malice (the black & pink goo), it doubles to 60 attack and does not lose energy at all. You can go to Hyrule castle and just beat the shit out of things & never have to change weapons. So while there are definitely stronger, more durable weapons in the open, you really can't go wrong with it if there's malice nearby. I honestly don't mind using it in the open, though, because it frees you up from having to use your other breakable weapons so much.

That Korok trial where they give you the wood weapons, they're actually pretty durable and should all last the entire trial. And you get to keep them after the trial is over. I still mostly used remote bombs when I could so as not to wear down durability.

I defeated the divine beast Vah Medoh over the weekend. The bird one. The whole thing was incredibly easy. Much easier to tame the beast, much easier to solve the dungeon (all it does it tilt from one side to the other, no rotating parts, no upside down shit you gotta flip over, no manipulating things in one room to make things in the other room line up, etc.), and Windblight Ganon was a pushover.

As of now I'm at 66 shrines, 2 divine beasts w/ a 3rd one down, 5 or 6 memories, 16 hearts, 2 full stamina wheels, and about 100 Korok seeds.
    ...But I still suck at fighting. I can NOT get those damn sidestep and backlip moves down, and every time I try to parry a shield against a guardian, it fuckin breaks on contact.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Anyone having issues with their PS4's? Mine has had trouble loading all day. I heard a new update is available that is messing with the system, but when I try to download it gives me an error message saying that I can't download the update. Thoughts PS4 owners?
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11