Hype! Collector's Edition DVD & Blu-ray by Shout Factory

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited September 2017 in The Porch

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Drop into the Pacific NW in the early '90s and watch the underground music scene explode into a "grunge" media frenzy for a subculture-hungry world. Hype! follows the music from a few bands playing with their friends, to Sub Pop's brilliant exploitation of "the Seattle Sound," to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hitting #1 on the charts. Questions of money, authenticity, and fame arise as "grunge fashion" hits the runways and a mass migration of wanna-be bands saturates Seattle. The Northwest experience is one of humor, loss, and epic irony. Hype!, now celebrating its 20th anniversary, features live performances by Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and a ton of other amazing bands.

Sign up below to be the first to know when we announce the details for the physical release of Hype!

• agentpinckneyagentpinckney Lakemont, NY Posts: 267
    Cool. Got this off of eBay about six months ago. Great piece of the era!
    October 1, 1996 ... Marine Midland Arena, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    October 12, 2013 ... First Niagara Center, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    May 2, 2016 ... Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    May 8, 2016 ... Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa-Ontario (Canada)
    May 10, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    May 12, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    August 5, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    August 7, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    November 7, 2016 ... TOTD, Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    September 2, 2018 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
  • tmantman Posts: 158
    I remember many of these shows....My Friend and I have a 5 second still shot at the RCKNDY while grooving to 7 Year Bitch in the film...Great memories...Great Times!!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I bought the import bluray from Europe and it was just the videotape recorded onto a bluray. I thought that was pretty odd considering there is a hype dvd out there (Which I don't own, but imagine was sourced properly). I wasn't sure if maybe the whole documentary was recorded on tape in the first place. Hopefully not. A better quality bluray would be awesome!
    Would love to see some added bonus goodies on this Blu-ray release from them.
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/
    Zod said:

I bought the import bluray from Europe and it was just the videotape recorded onto a bluray. I thought that was pretty odd considering there is a hype dvd out there (Which I don't own, but imagine was sourced properly). I wasn't sure if maybe the whole documentary was recorded on tape in the first place. Hopefully not. A better quality bluray would be awesome!

It's shocking whoever transferred the VHS to Blu-ray when they could of just used the DVD source and up-scaled it to 1080i, like may film companies have done for various Blu-ray releases, which sucks .. big time!!!
    Bump!

I can't recall but when I pre ordered the Hype! VHS tape from Sam The Record Man or maybe it was through a Hit Paradar Magazine, totally can't remember now but I received a sweet Hype shirt. It was a ringer tee, black trim on the sleeves & collar. I miss that shirt so much. :( I hope to someday find one in an XL.
    edited July 2017
    No updates yet. Hopefully this comes through.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Still have a copy of this dvd somewhere. Great soundtrack. Be a good vinyl release.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    i never heard of this movie until recently. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    still have never seen it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Can't wait for this upgrade! I bought the DVD in 1997 and pull it out every few years. It will be nice to have this on bluray!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    I think I'll wait until some of you receive it to make sure the video source is better that the shoddy copy I imported from Europe :)

btw, when I did watch it, I couldn't get over how young everyone looked.  I think I'd forgotten how old the documentary actually was.
    Special Offer: Order from ShoutFactory.com and get it shipped TWO WEEKS EARLY!

Synopsis

The music, the artists, and the Hype that defined a generation.

Drop into the Pacific Northwest in the early '90s and watch a vibrant underground music scene explode into a global "grunge" media frenzy. Hype! follows the music from local bands playing for their friends, to Sub Pop Record's brilliant exploitation of "the Seattle Sound," to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hitting #1 on the charts. Questions of money, authenticity, and fame arise as "grunge fashion" hits the runways and a mass migration of wanna-be Seattle bands saturates the city. The Northwest experience is one of humor, loss, and epic irony. With intense live performances by Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, and many more, Hype! rocks the definitive story of the world's last great local music scene.

"Two Thumbs Up!" – Siskel & Ebert

"The most accurate and energetic look at the Seattle music scene you'll ever see" – Chris Riemenschneider, Austin American-Statesman

"A brilliant synthesis of social anthropology and entertainment" – Christine McKenna, Los Angeles Times

Product Information

Discs
    Run-time
    84 min
    Aspect Ratio ?
    1.85:1
    Color
    Color
    Language
    English
    Region
    A
    Rating
    Not Rated
    Production Date
    Closed-Captioned ?
    No
    Subtitles
    English

• nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    Hope it's released on iTunes!
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Will the Collector's Edition be digitally altered to remove Beth?
  • Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    I have never heard of this before.  Can someone share what you get from Pearl Jam?  Is there a live performance, interviews, etc?
  • THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    I still have the VHS.
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    THE LOOK said:
    I still have the VHS.
    As do I, don't think I even have a VCR anymore. Remember seeing this in the theater. Great documentary!
    Do shoutfactory bluray's get sold on any other websites, or do they do their own thing and only sell via their own website (was wondering if I should wait to see if it shows up on amazon to save shipping?)
    Zod said:
    Do shoutfactory bluray's get sold on any other websites, or do they do their own thing and only sell via their own website (was wondering if I should wait to see if it shows up on amazon to save shipping?)
    There are many Shout! Factory titles up on Amazon Canada. I'm guessing Hype! will also be up for sale there. Shout! Factory said those who buy from them will receive their copy 2 weeks before the official release date. We'll see.
    Not sure why the above YouTube video was taken down. That trailer has been up for many years. :/
    demetrios said:
    Not sure why the above YouTube video was taken down. That trailer has been up for many years. :/
    And it's a trailer which is basically an advertisement for the product.  Why would someone who owned the content cease and desist an advertisement for it? lol.
    edited July 2017
    Here's another one. Wonder how long this will last on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5u5raLr1-fc