Should celebrities avoid talking politics to fans ?

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited March 2017 in A Moving Train

Should celebrities avoid talking politics to fans ? 25 votes

yes
12% 3 votes
no
88% 22 votes
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Poll:
    S'hould apostrophe's be us'ed after every S'?
    Or just at the end's of all the word's in a s'entence?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    Celebrities are people. It's a free country. Should they choose to avoid it because they want to avoid alienating a part of their "fan base", well that's an economic decision. If they choose to discuss because they are passionate about whatever cause, then God Bless them for that too.
    It is only butthurt conservatives who want entertainers to abstain from voicing opinions.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited March 2017
    -
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    You're right. Trump should avoid it.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2017
    Of course they have the right to.
    For me it isn't about the topic, I wouldn't care what side they are one, its about wanting to see them perform. If I drop $200 to see Pearl Jam, I'd be pissed if Ed spent 20 minutes talking about politics in the middle of the show.
    After I moved out of LA I have to drive over an hour for almost any major concert, often on a weeknight and pay for a babysitter. The whole time my thoughts would be how I'll be getting home at 12:30 or 1:00 after spending 30 minutes to just exit the parking structure, wake up at 5:45 to go to work, and spend an extra $5 on the babysitter for this speech where everyone knows his views anyway. But keep it to a brief comment here and there I wouldn't have a complaint.
    But if you're going to blame it on "butthurt conservatives" you must think no one would care if some other artist spent 20 minutes talking about being pro-life in a show? Yeah, right.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    One's fame - or lack thereof - is such a non-factor to me when it comes to the opinions about which I give a shit.

Plus, the term "politics" runs through such a broad spectrum of topics. Why should anything be taboo among anyone?

Hell, some of my favorite comedians touch(ed) upon a variety of related topics. I'm a big girl! I can handle it.

Speak loud, speak all, speak your fucking mind - whether or not I agree with you is of no matter.
    mace1229 said:

Of course they have the right to.
    For me it isn't about the topic, I wouldn't care what side they are one, its about wanting to see them perform. If I drop $200 to see Pearl Jam, I'd be pissed if Ed spent 20 minutes talking about politics in the middle of the show.
    After I moved out of LA I have to drive over an hour for almost any major concert, often on a weeknight and pay for a babysitter. The whole time my thoughts would be how I'll be getting home at 12:30 or 1:00 after spending 30 minutes to just exit the parking structure, wake up at 5:45 to go to work, and spend an extra $5 on the babysitter for this speech where everyone knows his views anyway. But keep it to a brief comment here and there I wouldn't have a complaint.
    But if you're going to blame it on "butthurt conservatives" you must think no one would care if some other artist spent 20 minutes talking about being pro-life in a show? Yeah, right.

Your'e taking an egregious example of something that didn't necessarily happen. I'd be annoyed if Ed spent 20 minutes talking about ANYTHING in a show, not just politics.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited March 2017
    Why would you get pissed if Ed talked about politics? You act like you've never heard of them before.

Now if it was a band you never heard of and went to see them and they talked about abortion rights for 20 minutes, I could see being upset about that.

This idea that celebrities all of a sudden have to shutup is absurd. Most of the time, they are in a no win situation. If they don't say anything, people criticize them for not using their platform for good. If they do speak out, they're just spoiled, over paid brats. If you dont like what someone has to say, don't fucking listen. It's really that simple.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    That was kind of my point. And yes, it was exaggerated, but its more about we'd rather see any artist perform that talk about personal beliefs, regardless what they are. I don't think it would be too unexpected for many artists to have a few statements throughout a show that would total to 5-10 minutes. And with ticket prices what they are, I want every minute to count.
    And unless its a personal story about how or why a song was written or something like that, I really don't give a crap.

Why would you get pissed if Ed talked about politics? You act like you've never heard of them before.

Now if it was a band you never heard of and went to see them and they talked about abortion rights for 20 minutes, I could see being upset about that.

This idea that celebrities all of a sudden have to shutup is absurd. Most of the time, they are in a no win situation. If they don't say anything, people criticize them for not using their platform for good. If they do speak out, they're just spoiled, over paid brats. If you dont like what someone has to say, don't fucking listen. It's really that simple.

I thought I did a good job explaining why.
    If I were to see them it would cost me $200 for the night, and probably only get about 5 hours of sleep that night and a full work day the next morning. It doesn't matter what he's talking about, he could talk about rainbows and kittens, I'd rather hear a couple more songs, or get home a few minutes earlier.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Shut up sing Lennon!
    Put a cork in it Carlin!
    mace1229 said:

If I were to see them it would cost me $200 for the night, and probably only get about 5 hours of sleep that night and a full work day the next morning. It doesn't matter what he's talking about, he could talk about rainbows and kittens, I'd rather hear a couple more songs, or get home a few minutes earlier.
    I don't know what you consider "getting your money's worth" out of a show. For me, it's not just the 3 hours of music. It was the hour and a half drive to Columbia and the 6 hours I spent in the GA line with my daughter along with the concert itself.

That being said, even if you only count the show, you know going in that PJ is a political band. You know going in that you are, with out a doubt, going to hear Ed talk especially during an election year. Out of 3 hours, he spends about 10-15 minutes talking about whatever his cause of the day is. That really bothers you? Especially when you know you're going to hear it.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    rgambs said:

It is only butthurt conservatives who want entertainers to abstain from voicing opinions.

that's funny, cause as far as I can see it's the liberals who are butthurt......Hillary lost remember ?

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Most celebs are clueless and out of touch so i ignore their views on anything pretty much. I dont care which way they lean.

rgambs said:

that's funny, cause as far as I can see it's the liberals who are butthurt......Hillary lost remember ?

I'm failing to see why you're still talking about hilary. I haven't heard anyone say a word about hilary in months other than from conservatives
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985

rgambs said:

I'm failing to see why you're still talking about hilary. I haven't heard anyone say a word about hilary in months other than from conservatives
    You haven't heard? Trump supporters have wire-tapped all of our phones, TVs, and microwaves. They can see that we're all still crying that Hillary didn't win! More criers than have ever cried at one time. Bigliest cry-a-thon ever.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    mace1229 said:

I don't think people realize that these are also built in breaks for the band.
    edited March 2017

mace1229 said:

I don't know what you consider "getting your money's worth" out of a show. For me, it's not just the 3 hours of music. It was the hour and a half drive to Columbia and the 6 hours I spent in the GA line with my daughter along with the concert itself.

That being said, even if you only count the show, you know going in that PJ is a political band. You know going in that you are, with out a doubt, going to hear Ed talk especially during an election year. Out of 3 hours, he spends about 10-15 minutes talking about whatever his cause of the day is. That really bothers you? Especially when you know you're going to hear it.
    My view has changed. Sure, 15 years ago that was part of the experience. I lived within walking distance of the San Diego Sports Arena, and if Ed spent 30 minutes talking about his golf game (he didn't, but if...) I probably would have enjoyed it, walked to Krispy Kreme and gotten our free sample on the way home, then our favorite Mexican joint, and been totally fine if I didn't get back until 2 in the morning. Then a day or 2 later (or before, depending on the tour) my best friend and I would drive to Vegas, see them at the MGM Grand. And when the show was over stay up all night at a $2 black jack table getting our free watered down cocktails. Then when the sun rose make the 4 hour drive back home and then sleep for about 12 hours. That was an awesome experience. Did that about 3 times. Wouldn't do it now though.
    Now when I see them its at least an hour drive because I don't live in the city anymore, I have 2 small kids so I'm paying for a baby sitter, my alarm goes off at 5:45 so I can go to work. And based from friends who still see PJ shows they are in the same boat, and the look of the crowd seems similar, I don't see many 22 year olds not caring what time they get home at their shows any more. The last show I saw I left as early as I could from work, fought traffic to drive into the city and barely made it in time. Show ends at 11:00 and I'm lucky to be back home by 1:00 because of the show traffic getting out of the place. Pay the baby sitter for her 6 hours, and after tickets, parking and sitter dropped about $250 for the night, and my alarm goes off in about 4 1/2 hours. So would I rather get an extra 15 minutes of sleep than to hear some personal beliefs? Absolutely.
    I don't see how knowing they are a political band changes any of that.
    I hear what you're saying. But why does the band have to worry about what time you get home? When you put in for your tickets, you have a pretty good idea what the "trip" is going to entail as far as time off work, drive to and from, and costs associated with going to the show (gas money, hotel room, babysitters.)

I just don't know what any of that has to do with it. I'm sorry if you answered this already, but does it really bother you to hear Ed (or any frontman) talk about their politics for 10-15 during a 3 hour show?

The news broke that prince died while we were in line for the columbia show. Ed spent about 5 minutes or so talking about him before they played light years. I don't think it really bothered anyone that he wasted 5 minutes talking about prince. Later on, he spoke for another 5-7 minutes about cancelling the NC show and how there was a similar bill in SC. He got some boos. But im not sure it ruined anyone's experience.

I can definitely agree to disagree with you on this. I'm just not sure what I'm disagreeing with you about. I'm being specific to pearl jam because I don't know of many other bands that play for 3 hours. Maybe you've been to other shows where the band played for 90 minutes and qt of it was used to talk about other stuff. I can understand people having a problem with that.
    They don't have to worry about it. And aside from this poll where the question was asked, I've actually never complained about it before. That's just my opinion, and I'll go to the next show within 2 hours of a drive, and if it weren't for 2 kids I'd be seeing multiple shows again. Actually had plans to go back to LA for a few shows in 2014 and put in for the NYC lotto the week my wife found out she was pregnant with our first. Canceled LA plans and prayed I didn't win the lotto (which I didn't) because I knew those travel days were gone at that point. At least for the next 15 years or so.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    no, i think they should go on a website, anonymously of course, and spew hatred for the previous President and how great the current Potus is. when questioned why the previous Potus was so bad they should ignore all questions. When asked what the new Potus has done say nothing of substance other than things are will be better all the while ignoring the daily lies that come from the current Potus' mouth and twitter account. they should also ignore all the questionable humans in the current administration and show their support for an agenda designed to discriminate against certain members of society.
    pjhawks said:

no, i think they should go on a website, anonymously of course, and spew hatred for the previous President and how great the current Potus is. when questioned why the previous Potus was so bad they should ignore all questions. When asked what the new Potus has done say nothing of substance other than things are will be better all the while ignoring the daily lies that come from the current Potus' mouth and twitter account. they should also ignore all the questionable humans in the current administration and show their support for an agenda designed to discriminate against certain members of society.

Seems like a good plan.

rgambs said:

Nope, I forgot.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Nope, I forgot.
    I wonder if it means I'm butthurt if I point out that old man Godfather will be paying higher insurance premiums since trumpcare pulled those limits off for people in his age range?

I hear what you're saying. But why does the band have to worry about what time you get home? When you put in for your tickets, you have a pretty good idea what the "trip" is going to entail as far as time off work, drive to and from, and costs associated with going to the show (gas money, hotel room, babysitters.)

I just don't know what any of that has to do with it. I'm sorry if you answered this already, but does it really bother you to hear Ed (or any frontman) talk about their politics for 10-15 during a 3 hour show?

The news broke that prince died while we were in line for the columbia show. Ed spent about 5 minutes or so talking about him before they played light years. I don't think it really bothered anyone that he wasted 5 minutes talking about prince. Later on, he spoke for another 5-7 minutes about cancelling the NC show and how there was a similar bill in SC. He got some boos. But im not sure it ruined anyone's experience.

I can definitely agree to disagree with you on this. I'm just not sure what I'm disagreeing with you about. I'm being specific to pearl jam because I don't know of many other bands that play for 3 hours. Maybe you've been to other shows where the band played for 90 minutes and qt of it was used to talk about other stuff. I can understand people having a problem with that.

To answer your question, no it doesn't bother me. But if I got to vote on it, I'd prefer that time was devoted to more songs or more sleep. But no, it doesn't bother me.
    And talking about Prince the day he died is relevant, and dedicating a song in his honor. That's different that talking about a stance that everyone already knows and doesn't always agree with though.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I'd rather not listen to any celeb's political views, I didn't go to a show or watch a movie to listen to them talk about their political views
    especially a concert, when I go to a concert the last thing I want to do is get pissed off over politics' while I'm trying to have a good time, and
    these actors and actress' who use their celeb status to talk about their political views just really ruins it for me, then there's the athletes...look what happened to Kaepernick, I predicted he'd be job hunting and now look at his sorry ass, a free agent with no offers yet I believe.
    how would your boss react if you used your work time and company name to push your political views ?

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited March 2017
    rgambs said:

Actually I think when they spout off stupidity, saves me money.

#notaconservativetho

I'd rather not listen to any celeb's political views, I didn't go to a show or watch a movie to listen to them talk about their political views
    especially a concert, when I go to a concert the last thing I want to do is get pissed off over politics' while I'm trying to have a good time, and
    these actors and actress' who use their celeb status to talk about their political views just really ruins it for me, then there's the athletes...look what happened to Kaepernick, I predicted he'd be job hunting and now look at his sorry ass, a free agent with no offers yet I believe.
    how would your boss react if you used your work time and company name to push your political views ?

Kaepernick's issues stem from his sorry play, not from his politics. Lebron James has made political statements in the past.. think he will be an unsigned free agent any time soon?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Nope I'm looking forward to the next PJ show and Ed blasts your hero , I hope all artist never stop talking politics ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
This discussion has been closed.