ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

bflynn1 said:

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

I'd say yes, but its one of those things where you're in the liquor store and you see a bottle of Blantons for $60 and Bookers for close to $100. I'd take the Blantons all day.
    I read somewhere how It used to be 60....
    Still $60 here in Fayetteville AR
    Still $60 here in Michigan. I thought I read somewhere, that they weren't upping the price for another year or two.
    I live in Kalamazoo
    Let's party! I live in Webberville, MI. I'll be at the Soundgarden show at the Fox.
    Not going to be able to make that one, maybe when pj closes the Joe :)
  • ME68701ME68701 Hershey, PA Posts: 103

ME68701 said:

Is Bookers worth 100?

I'd say yes, but its one of those things where you're in the liquor store and you see a bottle of Blantons for $60 and Bookers for close to $100. I'd take the Blantons all day.
    I read somewhere how It used to be 60....
    My bad, last time I was in my local liquor store the other day and I glanced at a Bookers that was $99.99. I just assumed the price hike took effect. Went back today and noticed it was a 25th Anniversary Commemorative 9 year old 121 proof that was $99.99
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436

DavidD said:

im thinking that the bars in Toronto get all the insider info on when the hard to get bottles are release at the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario)
    I normally call small towns surrounding Toronto that show that they've released a few bottles. And if I'm lucky enough they can send it to the LCBO closest to where I live.
    I had a bottle of KOVAL Single barrel in my hand the other day. Just wasn't sure it was worth the $100 Canadian.
    Anyone in or out of Chicago try this bourbon?
    Is it worth the price tag ?

I am in Chicago, and it is absolutely not worth that price, IMO. I don't think any of their whiskeys are good. People went crazy around here for a bit because it was local. For some reason, there continues to be this mindset that local has to be good...but that's usually not the case.

Only reason to pay that premium is if you are looking to acquire a bunch bourbons for a collection from different sources. Very much like collecting PJ Merch.
    Oh hell no, not another collection lol
    I picked up a bottle of glendalough 7 year old Irish whiskey instead. If you have a chance get a bottle, this is a tasty liquid that is finished in bourbon barrels.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Did or has anyone done any of the Buffalo Trace single oak tasting?
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    No, but I wish I could say yes.
    Love the story behind those barrels, I don't think any of them have ever made it north of the border. If they did it was probably with a draw of some sort through our LCBO.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Saturday night bump. What's everyone sipping on tonight. Booker's here.
    Couple Elijah Craig old fashioneds at the restaurant and an eagle rare on the rocks for a night cap :)
  • Up to the top, because I am heading to Louisville tomorrow to visit the Angel's Envy Distillery!
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989

Up to the top, because I am heading to Louisville tomorrow to visit the Angel's Envy Distillery!

Sweet! Let us know how it is.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • jimmyjamjimmyjam Posts: 23
    Hi, I stumbled upon this thread looking for some PJ posters. Anyway, I have an unopened 2014 Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 yr that I'm willing to sell and/or trade. PM me if interested. Thanks.
  • Up to the top, because I am heading to Louisville tomorrow to visit the Angel's Envy Distillery!

Just got back, quick overnight trip for work.

Let me tell ya'...it is a great looking NEW distillery right in the heart of the city. I have been on a lot of distillery tours (once you see one or two you've seen them all) and the Angel's Envy Distillery left me pretty impressed. A great looking medium sized operation. Just had a really great esthetic to the entire place from the wood throughout, the still with how they incorporated the bottle outline on the hydrometer, to the private tasting room and bar upstairs.

Real cool place! And the whiskey is pretty great IMO (the Rye was the smoothest I've ever had)!

Up to the top, because I am heading to Louisville tomorrow to visit the Angel's Envy Distillery!

Let me tell ya'...it is a great looking NEW distillery right in the heart of the city. I have been on a lot of distillery tours (once you see one or two you've seen them all) and the Angel's Envy Distillery left me pretty impressed. A great looking medium sized operation. Just had a really great esthetic to the entire place from the wood throughout, the still with how they incorporated the bottle outline on the hydrometer, to the private tasting room and bar upstairs.

Real cool place! And the whiskey is pretty great IMO (the Rye was the smoothest I've ever had)!
    What else did you get to taste?

From Angel's Envy, we had just about everything they had to offer. Let us taste the "new make" right off the still. And then "new make" that was rested. Then on the tour, they did a barrel dump for us and got to have a glass right from there.

In the tasting room they gave us the line up of the (aforementioned) new make, regular AE, and then Cask Strength. Finally, the mixologist made me a cocktail using local maple syrup, orange juice, AE and like 5 other things I can't remember. It was pretty good, but i still prefer neat.

Out on town, I drank a bunch of old standards. Most notably a line up of Willet Family not the reserve but the regular ages. Can't find them around here in Chicago anymore.
    Just poured some Booker's. Starting the weekend off right.

From Angel's Envy, we had just about everything they had to offer. Let us taste the "new make" right off the still. And then "new make" that was rested. Then on the tour, they did a barrel dump for us and got to have a glass right from there.

In the tasting room they gave us the line up of the (aforementioned) new make, regular AE, and then Cask Strength. Finally, the mixologist made me a cocktail using local maple syrup, orange juice, AE and like 5 other things I can't remember. It was pretty good, but i still prefer neat.

Out on town, I drank a bunch of old standards. Most notably a line up of Willet Family not the reserve but the regular ages. Can't find them around here in Chicago anymore.
    How was it drinking it straight from the barrel? That sounds amazing!

It was remarkably smooth because it was a finishing barrel. That's Angel's Envy's thing, they finish their Bourbon in used port barrels to give it a unique finish.

So the guy that poured for us said it was about 130 proof by his best estimate, but didn't taste overly hot. And didn't burn like I thought it would. Color was a deep deep auburn.

Was definitely cool, I've been on too many tours and none have let us taste an uncut/unblended product straight from the barrel dump. Distilleries typically will only let you taste from an aging barrel pulled from the "thief" for some reason.

It was remarkably smooth because it was a finishing barrel. That's Angel's Envy's thing, they finish their Bourbon in used port barrels to give it a unique finish.

So the guy that poured for us said it was about 130 proof by his best estimate, but didn't taste overly hot. And didn't burn like I thought it would. Color was a deep deep auburn.

Was definitely cool, I've been on too many tours and none have let us taste an uncut/unblended product straight from the barrel dump. Distilleries typically will only let you taste from an aging barrel pulled from the "thief" for some reason.
    Guy I knew was big into wine and he was invited to a cellar and got to drink some of the "private stock". Needless to say that he was drinking some big money/rare grapes, lol.

Awesome experience. I'd love to do that.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Guy I knew was big into wine and he was invited to a cellar and got to drink some of the "private stock". Needless to say that he was drinking some big money/rare grapes, lol.

Check out the documentary "Sour Grapes" if you haven't already. Some very shady practices going on in the high-end wine collecting business, often times unbeknownst to even the sellers.

Check out the documentary "Sour Grapes" if you haven't already. Some very shady practices going on in the high-end wine collecting business, often times unbeknownst to even the sellers.
    Same thing in Bourbon aftermarkets. Know your source!!!

I do remember a person making fake bottles of vintage wine and getting caught not too long ago.

I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

I reading a story about that doc I think. It centers around one guy in particular right?
  • In honor of the upcoming holiday...I think I am going to take down some Connemara tonight. It's been about a year since the last.
  • In honor of the upcoming holiday...I think I am going to take down some Connemara tonight. It's been about a year since the last.

Irish Single Malt that is, didn't mean to be so cloaked in that reference.
    I'll be drinking some Midleton rare this week.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Booooooooooooooooobs
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Boooooooooooze!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Elijah Craig bottle opened tonight
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989

Elijah Craig bottle opened tonight

The bourbon that started my obsession. Cheers!
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
    Got a bottle of Blanton's while I was in NYC last weekend
This discussion has been closed.