Options

"Day Without A Woman" - General Strike - March 8, 2017

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2017
    And trust me, I don't expect a surge of support or understanding from a message board with 90% men posters

Looking in that mirror is hard for all of us
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I agree with you 100% on the father issue. I just don't see how it is possible, and even if it was how it is constitutional to force someone to be a "good" father. It takes far more than simply just equal custody agreements to be a good father. It sucks. My best friend in middle school had a dad on the other side of the country. He only saw him 2 weeks over the summer and a birthday card in between. He was always excited to go see his dad, but it was with his dad he learned to smoke at 12 or 13 and got introduced to drugs. Don't think more time with dad would benefit anyone.
    The only thing we can do is make it financially easier for the single mom and hold the dad financially responsible.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i only recognize one of the women in this picture. It's the lady to the left of Eddie. I believe she is the band's tour manager (forgot name). Anybody care to identify the rest?

• Options
    vaggar99 said:

i only recognize one of the women in this picture. It's the lady to the left of Eddie. I believe she is the band's tour manager (forgot name). Anybody care to identify the rest?

Don't know... but we did buy 2 of those badass shirts :)
  • Options
    I would never say that I would vote for a woman just because she's a woman. It's just that the option to vote for a woman would be great. When Nikki was running for governor the first time I had several men in my office comment that I must be really happy because they just assumed I would vote for her. I didn't. Although she wasn't who I envisioned as governor I am glad she at least was given the chance to run. Now she's left the state for greener pastures (if you can call it that) so good on her I guess. And yes, I got the same comments last year concerning Hillary.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:

I noticed you guys conveniently leave out the millions of women who get stuck raising children because MEN don't hold up their obligations... like my father didnt...

How many single mothers are out there busting their ass raising children, running a household, and working with little/no help from deadbeat men? How many kids only see their fathers every other weekend like I did? How many kids had father's not help financially at all like mine didn't?

How many millions of women have sacrificed everything, from their personal lives to their professional lives and everything between, struggling day to day because cowardice and irresponsible men left them holding the bag?

And you dare question why women want their concerns to be heard??? Wake up and smell the fucking coffee

As far as the claim of a small talent pool to fill political offices... that's bullshit and you know it... I'm a man and I heard what some men were saying in private about Hillary... the names she was called... the way she was demeaned... because she was a strong intelligent woman they were probably intimidated... a lot if men, and even some women, have a bias that they believe women shouldn't be in politics or positions if power... I heard a friend of mine wife say this on several separate occasions... she said "I don't think a woman should be president"... AND SHE HAS 3 DAUGHTERS????

there are only 100 senators, 400+ represantives, and 50 governors in a country of 350,000,000 people, something tells me there are plenty of women available to fill the gap pretty quickly... and that's why im not voting for a male until there is relative equal representation... regardless of party or position, straight ticket female vote or me

Men are a fucking mess in general... we desperately need more women in power to balance this out. And quickly.

I would agree with your stance ONLY if there were equal representation of quality females RUNNING. but there aren't. I'm not going to vote for a woman just because she's a woman anymore than I'm going to vote for a man just because he's a man. I don't think that makes sense. it has to be a qualified person. Look at Betsy Devos. Should she be in there simply because she's a woman? she's a prime example of your position being flawed. she's so incredibly unqualified for that position. Would you vote for her over someone like Bernie? or is it only women over republicans?

I agree completely that I think the world would be a better place with more women in power. Absolutely. are there greedy and power hungry women? for sure, but I'd bet my bottom dollar their percentage is way lower than that of males in that category.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

my2hands said:

I noticed you guys conveniently leave out the millions of women who get stuck raising children because MEN don't hold up their obligations... like my father didnt...

How many single mothers are out there busting their ass raising children, running a household, and working with little/no help from deadbeat men? How many kids only see their fathers every other weekend like I did? How many kids had father's not help financially at all like mine didn't?

How many millions of women have sacrificed everything, from their personal lives to their professional lives and everything between, struggling day to day because cowardice and irresponsible men left them holding the bag?

And you dare question why women want their concerns to be heard??? Wake up and smell the fucking coffee

As far as the claim of a small talent pool to fill political offices... that's bullshit and you know it... I'm a man and I heard what some men were saying in private about Hillary... the names she was called... the way she was demeaned... because she was a strong intelligent woman they were probably intimidated... a lot if men, and even some women, have a bias that they believe women shouldn't be in politics or positions if power... I heard a friend of mine wife say this on several separate occasions... she said "I don't think a woman should be president"... AND SHE HAS 3 DAUGHTERS????

there are only 100 senators, 400+ represantives, and 50 governors in a country of 350,000,000 people, something tells me there are plenty of women available to fill the gap pretty quickly... and that's why im not voting for a male until there is relative equal representation... regardless of party or position, straight ticket female vote or me

Men are a fucking mess in general... we desperately need more women in power to balance this out. And quickly.

I would agree with your stance ONLY if there were equal representation of quality females RUNNING. but there aren't. I'm not going to vote for a woman just because she's a woman anymore than I'm going to vote for a man just because he's a man. I don't think that makes sense. it has to be a qualified person. Look at Betsy Devos. Should she be in there simply because she's a woman? she's a prime example of your position being flawed. she's so incredibly unqualified for that position. Would you vote for her over someone like Bernie? or is it only women over republicans?

I agree completely that I think the world would be a better place with more women in power. Absolutely. are there greedy and power hungry women? for sure, but I'd bet my bottom dollar their percentage is way lower than that of males in that category.
    Not worried about the rare extreme example... for every Devos there is 5 Elizabeth Warrens... it's now every parties jobs to get those strong female candidates on the ballot... that's not my job... not to mention the large majority of female candidates are Democrat/Green party...
  • Options
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

Not worried about the rare extreme example... for every Devos there is 5 Elizabeth Warrens... it's now every parties jobs to get those strong female candidates on the ballot... that's not my job... not to mention the large majority of female candidates are Democrat/Green party...
    okay, but you didn't answer my question: would you vote for a woman over a man regardless of party, or only if that woman was running in your party of choice?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

okay, but you didn't answer my question: would you vote for a woman over a man regardless of party, or only if that woman was running in your party of choice?
    Party will not matter... policy positions, except for extreme situations, wont matter because what good is it to only support women that agree with me politically? hopefully there are women from multiple parties for me to choose from, which then I would obviously vote more along my normal voting lines which leans left *shocker lol
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2017
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

Party will not matter... policy positions, except for extreme situations, wont matter because what good is it to only support women that agree with me politically? hopefully there are women from multiple parties for me to choose from, which then I would obviously vote more along my normal voting lines which leans left *shocker lol
    So just continuing this conversation. You are saying that you would vote for an anti-abortion woman if she did not have an opposing female running against her. Just trying to understand your logic...I gather it's just a protest vote similar to some of those that voted for Trump as a protest vote?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

this picture says it all. women play a major role in the PJ infrastructure. Is there another band in the world that stands up for women's right and respects women like PJ? I can't think of any.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

this picture says it all. women play a major role in the PJ infrastructure. Is there another band in the world that stands up for women's right and respects women like PJ? I can't think of any.
    The Tea Party (Canadian band) are staunch supporters, and have been for a long time, of the White Ribbon Campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ribbon_Campaign
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

The Tea Party (Canadian band) are staunch supporters, and have been for a long time, of the White Ribbon Campaign.

quite an ironic name. but kudos none the less.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Im curious to hear what some of you would consider to be a solution to this issue^?

All I can think of is not to have kids.

Fully subsidized daycare for one. Also stronger laws governing mat leave and work return/retention. Also working on gender roles that most people and society in general still brainwash kids with.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I would never say that I would vote for a woman just because she's a woman. It's just that the option to vote for a woman would be great. When Nikki was running for governor the first time I had several men in my office comment that I must be really happy because they just assumed I would vote for her. I didn't. Although she wasn't who I envisioned as governor I am glad she at least was given the chance to run. Now she's left the state for greener pastures (if you can call it that) so good on her I guess. And yes, I got the same comments last year concerning Hillary.

I would also never in a million years vote for a woman just because she's a woman (there are few politicians I have actually hated more than our female Premier in BC - she is the WORST, and I wouldn't vote for her if someone paid me to, and honestly, she would totally try that, lol. Everything she does is just for money). I don't think many women would vote for a woman if she's unqualified in their minds. ]Yes, you're right. It would just be nice and so much more fair to have a more female representatives for us and politicians, when picking non-elected positions, to choose from (or not). If that were the case, and people weren't sexist, representation would balance out on its own.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

they were the tea party before the political party was the tea party. the political party actually tried to buy the rights to their website domain, since they were broken up at the time. the amount was rumoured at around a million. the band refused. kudos to them, because I don't believe any of them are millionaires.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

they were the tea party before the political party was the tea party. the political party actually tried to buy the rights to their website domain, since they were broken up at the time. the amount was rumoured at around a million. the band refused. kudos to them, because I don't believe any of them are millionaires.
    they're a good band
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

they're a good band
    you like the vinyl?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

So just continuing this conversation. You are saying that you would vote for an anti-abortion woman if she did not have an opposing female running against her. Just trying to understand your logic...
    Yes. I'm sure I can find 1,000 other issues to find middleground on with a hypothetically pro-life candidate.

Not all republicans/conservatives are evil, completely incompetent, or sold out to Russia lol

Just because I disagree with them in general politically does not mean they are evil or going to be terrible at their job.

Hopefully more women in office could help ease this extreme partisanship where both sides look at each other as the enemy and refuse to compromise.

• Options
    mfc2006 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

they're a good band
    I'm seeing them in a few weeks. :)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

mfc2006 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

my2hands said:

vaggar99 said:

they're a good band
    you like the vinyl?
    sure do!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJ_Soul said:

Im curious to hear what some of you would consider to be a solution to this issue^?

Fully subsidized daycare for one. Also stronger laws governing mat leave and work return/retention. Also working on gender roles that most people and society in general still brainwash kids with.
    You already have that, it is called public schools.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited March 2017
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Child care is needed for infants to kindergarten, and then before and after school for those in public schools.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Child care is needed for infants to kindergarten, and then before and after school for those in public schools.
    So isn't that a job that a parent could, or should, do?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

You know damn well not everyone is able to do that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Calm yourself.

Maybe they shouldn't be taxed to the brink of not being able to miss a day off work.
  • Options
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

Ms. Haiku said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Calm yourself.

Maybe they shouldn't be taxed to the brink of not being able to miss a day off work.
    Hahaha taxes are theft bro! Muh roads!
  • Options
    Have you seen the infrastructure report card?
    Ouch.
    Yikes.
    The virulent anti-government sentiment in America is turning us into a third world country.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    rgambs said:

Ouch.
    Yikes.
    The virulent anti-government sentiment in America is turning us into a third world country.

I think there is an entitlement issue in this country. When did having a cell phone become a right that the government needed to pay for?
    I see free childcare getting out of control. I would support free childcare for those who truly needed, and would mostly be single moms with small children.
    I would support a bill that had a temporary plan for childcare for certain families in need. I would fear it would grow into a much larger situation, where families would feel they are entitled to it if they struggle and depend on it for long term.
    Parents are supposed to make sacrifice. I saw Pearl Jam 17 different times in about 5 different states and Canada from 1998-2013. I've seen them once since then. Why? Well my first was born in 2014 and I could no longer afford to do so. We have the basic cable program, and I go through the hassle of switching every year when the promo runs out. TJ MAxx is now a high end department store for us. We made all these sacrifices so my wife can stay home because the cost of childcare was not going to make her working full time worth it for us.
    Universal free childcare is not something the government should be responsible for.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

Ouch.
    Yikes.

I think there is an entitlement issue in this country. When did having a cell phone become a right that the government needed to pay for?
    I see free childcare getting out of control. I would support free childcare for those who truly needed, and would mostly be single moms with small children.
    I would support a bill that had a temporary plan for childcare for certain families in need. I would fear it would grow into a much larger situation, where families would feel they are entitled to it if they struggle and depend on it for long term.
    Parents are supposed to make sacrifice. I saw Pearl Jam 17 different times in about 5 different states and Canada from 1998-2013. I've seen them once since then. Why? Well my first was born in 2014 and I could no longer afford to do so. We have the basic cable program, and I go through the hassle of switching every year when the promo runs out. TJ MAxx is now a high end department store for us. We made all these sacrifices so my wife can stay home because the cost of childcare was not going to make her working full time worth it for us.
    Universal free childcare is not something the government should be responsible for.
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

Ouch.
    Yikes.

Well it works for a bunch of countries that rank better than the US in practically every positive per capita statistic that can be measured.