Israeli Apartheid

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

BDS is peaceful protest.

Oh...ha...hilarious. Legislating against doing business with and/or blocking funding of BDS is also a form of peaceful protest. That type of legislation doesn't prevent BDS from continuing their protest it only prevents then from benefiting from government funds they are not entitled too. Those who feel strongly about BDS can soldier on with their protest but do it without the money.

You do it to yourself and that's what really hurts.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    BS44325 said:

BDS is peaceful protest.

Oh...ha...hilarious. Legislating against doing business with and/or blocking funding of BDS is also a form of peaceful protest. That type of legislation doesn't prevent BDS from continuing their protest it only prevents then from benefiting from government funds they are not entitled too. Those who feel strongly about BDS can soldier on with their protest but do it without the money.

You do it to yourself and that's what really hurts.
    it makes sense youd quote radiohead.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Riiiiight..... Radiohead may not see it as an endorsement, and you may not either. But the fact that you bumped an old thread in the political sub forum to gloat about it, and when no one bit, you bumped this one, and you see it as 'courageous' to play Israel, tells me you see it as a political victory....which is bad enough.

if radiohead do not see their playing as an endorsement of the current state of affairs in israel then theyre fools... why not play gaza? now thatd be courageous.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Greenwood is married to an Israeli and has a house there. Don't know his stance on the occupation but not everyone views playing there as an endorsement. Which, yes, I think is foolish and ignorant, but hey...can't control the thoughts of others.

I find it funny to see a conservative supporting legislation against the way private businesses and individuals decide to invest their time and money...ironic to see a supporter of Israel also support legislation that opens the door to blacklists....seems all principles go out the window if there is benefit to Israel.
    I guess the Presbyterian church isn't entitled to government grants to run soup kitchens because they have a moral conscience. Got it.

Greenwood is married to an Israeli and has a house there. Don't know his stance on the occupation but not everyone views playing there as an endorsement. Which, yes, I think is foolish and ignorant, but hey...can't control the thoughts of others.

I find it funny to see a conservative supporting legislation against the way private businesses and individuals decide to invest their time and money...ironic to see a supporter of Israel also support legislation that opens the door to blacklists....seems all principles go out the window if there is benefit to Israel.
    I guess the Presbyterian church isn't entitled to government grants to run soup kitchens because they have a moral conscience. Got it.

The legislation I support doesn't prevent private businesses from doing anything. It simply states that business who participate in BDS are not entitled to do business with a government that disagrees with it. A business can then consciously choose what is more important to them. If taking a stand against Israel is so important then they can do so but a government should not have to go along.

This is what you'll get when you mess with us...
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    break out the Manischewitz, La Chaim! 18 months for premeditated murder.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/military-court-set-hand-down-sentence-israeli-soldier-095416356.html
    rssesq said:

not too bad for cold blooded murder with malice aforethought, he musta had Dershowitz, lol
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/prosecutors-want-3-5-years-jail-for-soldier-convicted-of-manslaughter/

Greenwood is married to an Israeli and has a house there. Don't know his stance on the occupation but not everyone views playing there as an endorsement. Which, yes, I think is foolish and ignorant, but hey...can't control the thoughts of others....

id be very surprised if the members of radiohead didnt think playing israel would be seen as an endorsement of the apartheid actions of the israeli govt. theyve never struck me as being either foolish or ignorant.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited February 2017

Greenwood is married to an Israeli and has a house there. Don't know his stance on the occupation but not everyone views playing there as an endorsement. Which, yes, I think is foolish and ignorant, but hey...can't control the thoughts of others....

id be very surprised if the members of radiohead didnt think playing israel would be seen as an endorsement of the apartheid actions of the israeli govt. theyve never struck me as being either foolish or ignorant.

Language troubles many of you. It is not an "endorsement" if one doesn't even see said "action" to exist. We all know that the OP thinks "apartheid" exists. We all know that many on the AMT think "apartheid" exists. But what most don't understand is that there are many who don't think "apartheid" exists. We laugh when we see you use the term. We think it is silly. We don't support every policy of the Israeli government but we recognize that "apartheid" it is not. If you can grasp this concept then you can understand how Radiohead can play Israel without it being an endorsement for anything other then sharing music with their fans. The premise of "apartheid" is not accepted.
    edited February 2017
    BS44325 said:

Language troubles many of you. It is not an "endorsement" if one doesn't even see said "action" to exist. We all know that the OP thinks "apartheid" exists. We all know that many on the AMT think "apartheid" exists. But what most don't understand is that there are many who don't think "apartheid" exists. We laugh when we see you use the term. We think it is silly. We don't support every policy of the Israeli government but we recognize that "apartheid" it is not. If you can grasp this concept then you can understand how Radiohead can play Israel without it being an endorsement for anything other then sharing music with their fans. The premise of "apartheid" is not accepted.
    language doesnt trouble me at all. i dont 'think' the actions and policies of the israeli govt are apartheid, i know they are. as to you laughing when we use that term and thinking it is silly, go right ahead, laugh til your belly aches. i have no doubt the south africans thought the same thing and history has proven them wrong.

Article II. For the purpose of the present Convention, the term "the crime of apartheid", which shall include similar policies and practices of racial segregation and discrimination as practised in southern Africa, shall apply to the following inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them:
    (a) denial to a member or members of a racial group or groups of the right to life and liberty of person:
    (i) by murder of members of a racial group or groups;
    (ii) by the infliction upon the members of a racial group or groups of serious bodily or mental harm, by the infringement of their freedom or dignity, or by subjecting them to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
    (iii) by arbitrary arrest and illegal imprisonment of the members of a racial group or groups;

(b) deliberate imposition on a racial group or groups of living conditions calculated to cause its or their physical destruction in whole or in part;

(c) any legislative measures and other measures calculated to prevent a racial group or groups from participation in the political, social, economic and cultural life of the country and the deliberate creation of conditions preventing the full development of such a group or groups, in particular by denying to members of a racial group or groups basic human rights and freedoms, including the right to work, the right to form recognized trade unions, the right to education, the right to leave and to return to their country, the right to a nationality, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association;

(d) any measures, including legislative measures, designed to divide the population along racial lines by the creation of separate reserves and ghettos for the members of a racial group or groups, the prohibition of mixed marriages among members of various racial groups, the expropriation of landed property belonging to a racial group or groups or to members thereof;

(e) exploitation of the labour of the members of a racial group or groups, in particular by submitting them to forced labour; (/) persecution of organizations and persons, by depriving them of fundamental rights and freedoms, because they oppose apartheid.

https://www.oas.org/dil/1973 International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid.pdf

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    edited February 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnQqlP2IXPM
    Welcome to Australia WARPIG
    Someday I will get around to framing my "Donuts" print. Banksy is a genius.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/banksy-opens-walled-off-hotel-151653070.html

rssesq said:

Someday I will get around to framing my "Donuts" print. Banksy is a genius.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/banksy-opens-walled-off-hotel-151653070.html

just watched a video on this.. banksy makes me smile. >>>> :)

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    I strongly recommend to everyone on this thread to watch the documentary 13 Cameras. It will open your eyes. It did mine.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476

BS44325 said:

language doesnt trouble me at all. i dont 'think' the actions and policies of the israeli govt are apartheid, i know they are. as to you laughing when we use that term and thinking it is silly, go right ahead, laugh til your belly aches. i have no doubt the south africans thought the same thing and history has proven them wrong.

Article II. For the purpose of the present Convention, the term "the crime of apartheid", which shall include similar policies and practices of racial segregation and discrimination as practised in southern Africa, shall apply to the following inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them:
    (a) denial to a member or members of a racial group or groups of the right to life and liberty of person:
    (ii) by the infliction upon the members of a racial group or groups of serious bodily or mental harm, by the infringement of their freedom or dignity, or by subjecting them to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
    (iii) by arbitrary arrest and illegal imprisonment of the members of a racial group or groups;

(b) deliberate imposition on a racial group or groups of living conditions calculated to cause its or their physical destruction in whole or in part;

(c) any legislative measures and other measures calculated to prevent a racial group or groups from participation in the political, social, economic and cultural life of the country and the deliberate creation of conditions preventing the full development of such a group or groups, in particular by denying to members of a racial group or groups basic human rights and freedoms, including the right to work, the right to form recognized trade unions, the right to education, the right to leave and to return to their country, the right to a nationality, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association;

(d) any measures, including legislative measures, designed to divide the population along racial lines by the creation of separate reserves and ghettos for the members of a racial group or groups, the prohibition of mixed marriages among members of various racial groups, the expropriation of landed property belonging to a racial group or groups or to members thereof;

(e) exploitation of the labour of the members of a racial group or groups, in particular by submitting them to forced labour; (/) persecution of organizations and persons, by depriving them of fundamental rights and freedoms, because they oppose apartheid.

https://www.oas.org/dil/1973 International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid.pdf

BS?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

BS44325 said:

BS?
    Yes. Complete BS.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS?
    Yes. Complete BS.
    You would know, I guess? Because Israel doesn't do any of those things to the Palestinians, now do they?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/80-percent-canadians-back-israel-boycott-poll-0

According to the newly released findings, 78 percent of respondents expressing an opinion say BDS is reasonable

Opposition to the condemnation of BDS was strong among backers of all the left of center parties – ranging from 55 percent among Liberals to 78 percent among Greens.

Only among Conservatives did more people support the motion (46 percent) than oppose it (33 percent).

Consistent with generational trends seen in the United States, younger Canadians appear more sympathetic to Palestinian rights. Two-thirds of respondents aged 18-34 expressing an opinion opposed the parliamentary condemnation of BDS, a number that drops to 46 percent among those aged over 65.

Similarly, 84 percent of the 18-34 age group said the BDS call is reasonable, a number that fell to a still impressive 72 percent for those aged over 65.

Sanctions on Israel
    Overall, 91 percent of respondents expressing an opinion agreed that in general sanctions are a reasonable way for Canada to censure countries for violations of international law or human rights.

Two-thirds agreed that sanctions specifically targeting Israel over its construction of settlements on occupied Palestinian land in violation of international law would be reasonable, with one-third indicating opposition.

Three-quarters of respondents who identify with Trudeau’s Liberals support sanctions. That support rises as high as 94 percent among backers of Canada’s other left of center parties.
    I know some people hate link posts without comments, so here are mine:

- the Canadian government is completely out of step with Canadian opinion on Israel's apartheid policy and illegal occupation. Our darling liberal leader is the most out of step with his voters, of all the party leaders. Why is that? The young person demographic in the poll is also telling - Israel is losing its hasbara war. The BDS campaign is working despite the lobby effort to kill it.
    - Someone had the balls to tell it like it is in regards to Israeli apartheid, on Israeli tv. Brave guy. My understanding is that this was his final monologue - his show was cancelled. I still haven't had a chance to look into what kind of blowback he's received....
    nothing they do surprises the world anymore
    http://www.newsweek.com/israel-law-banning-foreigners-boycott-movement-564666

So my taxpayer dollars are ok to build your walls with but I cant visit?
    THANK GOD! lmao
    Israel up 3-0 on the Dutch tonight after a big win against Korea. Nice Soda Stream sponsorship on the helmets too.
    First Pink washing
    Recently Green washing
    And now a feel good baseball story!
    Man I wish I could go to Israel someday. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be allowed in because I openly support bds. But hey, 'papers and phone password, please' is the new 'let freedom reign' in the world's great democracies!

First Pink washing
    Recently Green washing
    Man I wish I could go to Israel someday. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be allowed in because I openly support bds. But hey, 'papers and phone password, please' is the new 'let freedom reign' in the world's great democracies!

Canada can demand your phone upon entry as well. I'm sure you know this.
    Do we deny access for any nonviolent activism?

Do we deny access for any nonviolent activism?

That depends on whether you believe Khizr Khan.
    edited March 2017
    BS44325 said:

First Pink washing
    Recently Green washing

Canada can demand your phone upon entry as well. I'm sure you know this.
    and so does north Korea.
    #OBEYISRAELIPROPAGANDA / #FAKENEWS

Israel got smoked by the Dutch this morning. Next up Japan. Looks like they're done.