Options

a survey.....

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited February 2017
    I came across this today while searching for it. :wink: It's concerning to me that trump talks about the press being "out of control" because no one is supposed to control them. I have my issues with them but for the most part, I think they're doing their job.

Thomas Jefferson on Politics & Government

51. Freedom of the Press

A press that is free to investigate and criticize the government is absolutely essential in a nation that practices self-government and is therefore dependent on an educated and enlightened citizenry. On the other hand, newspapers too often take advantage of their freedom and publish lies and scurrilous gossip that could only deceive and mislead the people. Jefferson himself suffered greatly under the latter kind of press during his presidency. But he was a great believer in the ultimate triumph of truth in the free marketplace of ideas, and looked to that for his final vindication.

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1787. ME 6:57

"The press [is] the only tocsin of a nation. [When it] is completely silenced... all means of a general effort [are] taken away." --Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, Nov 29, 1802. (*) ME 10:341

"The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. ME 15:491

cont'd
    http://famguardian.org/subjects/politics/thomasjefferson/jeff1600.htm
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    wow....interesting survey
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    what was the survey about? i didn't read the questions. i just filled in insults and crude remarks in the 'other' sections.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    vaggar99 said:

what was the survey about? i didn't read the questions. i just filled in insults and crude remarks in the 'other' sections.

validation.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14