Calexit

13»

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2017
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

On California.. The state has the FIFTH largest economy in the WORLD. It passed France last year. California is also a donor state. That means it provides to the federal government more than it takes in. It is in the top decile of states that give more than they receive (as a %). So I'm sorry, California leaving would hurt the US far more than it would hurt California. Shipping, trade, tech jobs, furits, vegetables, etc. It's crazy talk for people to think California can just leave and the US would be better off.

I've personally never been a fan of "furits". If CA left, I'm pretty sure the US could still go on. Many of those tech jobs would most likely abandon and if they refused to trade with the remaining US, they would hurt just as bad. Pretty sure they would still want wheat, corn, cotton, etc. Regardless, it is ironic that people called Texans idiots when threatening to secede and defend Californicators. Not necessarily pointing fingers at the fine people on AMT.
    That's not at all my point. My point is that it would be bad for the US for California to exit. I also believe it would be bad economically for the US for Texas to leave. I'm fairly certain it is also a donor state. Now if WV, MS, and AL wanted to leave, well that would probably be NPV positive. Either way, it's a silly argument because it's not happening.
    I totally agree, although it is fun to imagine. Maybe there will be a fictional movie on the subject some day. If CA became Mexico # 2, at least we would not need a wall...the US could just trigger the San Andreas and form a natural boundary to cut off 90% of the population and just take most of the land back! I kid, I kid! But seriously, the San Andreas scares the shit out of me!

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    California is an awesome state. I wouldn't live in LA, but I'd move to SD or SF area in a heartbeat. Much before I ever moved to Dallas or Houston (just based on the weather). I could do Austin.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:

California is an awesome state. I wouldn't live in LA, but I'd move to SD or SF area in a heartbeat. Much before I ever moved to Dallas or Houston (just based on the weather). I could do Austin.

Yeah, you would have to pay me big $ to move to Houston or DFW. Personally, I prefer to live outside of the city limits, so I would probably be unhappy in any large metropolitan city. I like weird stuff like being able to see the sunset, stars, etc.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:

I grew up in a suburb of LA and hated ever going into LA. Went to school in SD and lived there 8 years and loved it, would move back if I could afford it. Then lived in Santa Monica/Venice Beach for 5 years and loved it there too and realize LA isn't that bad when you know where the bad neighborhoods are and avoid them. When people ask why I left SD or Santa Monica, and they always do, I just tell them my mortgage, insurance and taxes on a 5-bedroom house on 1/3 acre is only $11 more than my half of the rent on a 2-bedroom apartment in both SD and LA. And this was an apartment 10 years ago in San Diego, I'm sure its a lot more now. And that's why so many single people struggle in those big cities, and move away when they are older. Of all my college friends in San Diego and other friends in LA, the only ones who own and don't rent (and there's only a few in my age group) either came from family money or inherited a good sum. And that's what sucks about those places.
    The worst part now is I don't get to hit up 4 or 5 shows on a PJ tour anymore. Usually could get to 3-4 shows within driving distance, and then another 1 or 2 if you want to make a short roadtrip, that was always fun!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

I grew up in a suburb of LA and hated ever going into LA. Went to school in SD and lived there 8 years and loved it, would move back if I could afford it. Then lived in Santa Monica/Venice Beach for 5 years and loved it there too and realize LA isn't that bad when you know where the bad neighborhoods are and avoid them. When people ask why I left SD or Santa Monica, and they always do, I just tell them my mortgage, insurance and taxes on a 5-bedroom house on 1/3 acre is only $11 more than my half of the rent on a 2-bedroom apartment in both SD and LA. And this was an apartment 10 years ago in San Diego, I'm sure its a lot more now. And that's why so many single people struggle in those big cities, and move away when they are older. Of all my college friends in San Diego and other friends in LA, the only ones who own and don't rent (and there's only a few in my age group) either came from family money or inherited a good sum. And that's what sucks about those places.
    The worst part now is I don't get to hit up 4 or 5 shows on a PJ tour anymore. Usually could get to 3-4 shows within driving distance, and then another 1 or 2 if you want to make a short roadtrip, that was always fun!
    mace, I was born and raised in the Hollywood / West Hollywood areas, still in WeHo. Bought my condo in my 20s and have worked my ass off to have it for 25+ years while making a nice living, between my husband and me. No family money (some assistance on the down payment by my parents though), and I laugh at the idea of inheritance =)

I will say the cost of living here can be ridiculous...but, there are ways to live frugally when needed.

Although my city and state are fucked up in certain ways, I love them both. The land, and the people. I've no need or desire to pull away from the rest of this country.
    hedonist said:

mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

mace, I was born and raised in the Hollywood / West Hollywood areas, still in WeHo. Bought my condo in my 20s and have worked my ass off to have it for 25+ years while making a nice living, between my husband and me. No family money (some assistance on the down payment by my parents though), and I laugh at the idea of inheritance =)

I will say the cost of living here can be ridiculous...but, there are ways to live frugally when needed.

Although my city and state are fucked up in certain ways, I love them both. The land, and the people. I've no need or desire to pull away from the rest of this country.
    I'd love to get a place in the Truckee area... ski my ass off on the Sierra cement.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    My wife & I have decided that when we retire in 30 years or so, we'll retire in San Diego. Get a little apartment or condo in MB/PB area. Love that city so much. We're both from Houston and currently live in Portland. We're being priced out of the market here as well. Sorry...all over the place in this post! Need more coffee! Haha!

I love California, and also love Texas. They are both great states with a lot to offer.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Stay the fuck out of Malibu, Lebowski!!!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    hedonist said:

mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

I do know some friends about 5 years older than me who were able to buy just before the crazy housing market, but for me and my college friends who were just getting out of school in the mid 2000's, by the time we got an established job it was unreasonable.
    The cheapest condos I saw for sale were 300+k, and they were in the roughest areas. You could easily spend 450k on a condo! (warning: completely made up stat) And 95% of college grads from 10 years ago still cant afford that with the stale job market, and wages essentially what they were 10 years ago. I suppose if we really wanted to make it work, a double income family could squeeze by on a cheaper 2 bedroom condo.
    I remember the little house on the corner by my apartment, had to be 1500 square feet, was selling for 900k. So unless we wanted to raise a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom condo we had to leave. And that's mainly why we wound up in Colorado. Love it here, but I do miss the weather and beach.
    My family still leaves outside LA (although my parents just bought a huge river front house in Oregon with 100 yards of riverfront property for what they are selling their house for) every time we go back we tell ourselves how glad we are we left.
    Its easy to forget how bad traffic is, literally taking an hour to drive 10 miles. Planning your day around traffic, having "valley friends" because the valley seems so far away you make special arrangements to see them (even though it was 12 miles from Santa Monica to Encino area, it still took 90 minutes if you tried on the week). And being able to see the air you breathe.
    I definitely miss it, but I think we made the right choice. If we win the super lotto we'll have a vacation home there though.
  • mace1229 said:

hedonist said:

mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

I do know some friends about 5 years older than me who were able to buy just before the crazy housing market, but for me and my college friends who were just getting out of school in the mid 2000's, by the time we got an established job it was unreasonable.
    The cheapest condos I saw for sale were 300+k, and they were in the roughest areas. You could easily spend 450k on a condo! (warning: completely made up stat) And 95% of college grads from 10 years ago still cant afford that with the stale job market, and wages essentially what they were 10 years ago. I suppose if we really wanted to make it work, a double income family could squeeze by on a cheaper 2 bedroom condo.
    I remember the little house on the corner by my apartment, had to be 1500 square feet, was selling for 900k. So unless we wanted to raise a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom condo we had to leave. And that's mainly why we wound up in Colorado. Love it here, but I do miss the weather and beach.
    My family still leaves outside LA (although my parents just bought a huge river front house in Oregon with 100 yards of riverfront property for what they are selling their house for) every time we go back we tell ourselves how glad we are we left.
    Its easy to forget how bad traffic is, literally taking an hour to drive 10 miles. Planning your day around traffic, having "valley friends" because the valley seems so far away you make special arrangements to see them (even though it was 12 miles from Santa Monica to Encino area, it still took 90 minutes if you tried on the week). And being able to see the air you breathe.
    I definitely miss it, but I think we made the right choice. If we win the super lotto we'll have a vacation home there though.
    I am not sure how it would work out geographically, but if they exit I just have one question. Can Colorado come too??
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

California to form own country?

Wait, didn't Texas want to do this? Weren't they called racist?

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

3. would cause a civil war. That's what happened last time states tried to leave.
    Liberals insist that the civil war was fought over slavery.
    It was and please don't walk into this trap. The smoking gun is out there for anyone to see. To think otherwise is southern revisionist history.
    Slavery was already on the way out. Nice try.
    unsung said:

mrussel1 said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

California to form own country?

Wait, didn't Texas want to do this? Weren't they called racist?

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

3. would cause a civil war. That's what happened last time states tried to leave.
    Liberals insist that the civil war was fought over slavery.
    It was and please don't walk into this trap. The smoking gun is out there for anyone to see. To think otherwise is southern revisionist history.
    Slavery was already on the way out. Nice try.
    Then why did Alexander Stephens deliver the Cornerstone speech? Did you even read what was in it? It's the smoking gun that overrides any of the pro-South revisionism that has tried to infiltrate our education system. Please... refute what Stephens wrote. Do you think you have a better handle on the cause of the "present rapture" than he did?