Ace Frehley with Mike McCready - Cold Gin. New Vinyl release Bronx Boy

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,323
edited June 2018 in The Porch
http://www.guitarworld.com/artists-artist-news-news/ace-frehley-covers-white-room-reunites-paul-stanley-new-album/28679

Ace Frehley Covers "White Room," Reunites with Paul Stanley on New Album
Posted 02/11/2016 by Guitar World Staff

Ace Frehley Covers

This morning, the crew over at RollingStone.com premiered a new recording by former Kiss guitarist Ace Frehley.

The song is from Frehley's new album, Origins Vol. 1, which is described as "a collection of 12 newly recorded classics from Ace’s formative years, featuring some of the biggest names in rock and roll." Some of those names include Kiss frontman Paul Stanley, who joins Ace on Free's "Fire and Water." This marks the first time Stanley and Frehley have appeared on the same studio recording since Kiss' 1998 reunion album, Psycho Circus.

"We've always been friends," Frehley told RollingStone.com. "The press seems to amplify negativity. I guess it makes good copy."

Yeah, it's OK.

Anyway, other guests on Origins Vol. 1 include Slash, who trades solos on Thin Lizzy's "Emerald"; Lita Ford, who sings and plays lead guitar on the Troggs' "Wild Thing"; John 5, who plays guitar alongside Ace as he sings his classic Kiss composition "Parasite" for the first time (as well as Jimi Hendrix's "Spanish Castle Magic"); Pearl Jam's Mike McCready plays guitar with Ace as he finally sings his Kiss Alive! mainstay "Cold Gin."

By the way, "White Room" is an iTunes instant-gratification track; fans who pre order the album on iTunes will receive the Cream cover song instantly. Use Google to help you find that link.

Here's the complete track list:

1. White Room (Cream)
2. Street Fighting Man (Rolling Stones)
3. Spanish Castle Magic (Jimi Hendrix) *John 5
4. Fire and Water (Free) *Paul Stanley
5. Emerald (Thin Lizzy) *Slash
6. Bring It On Home (Led Zeppelin)
7. Wild Thing (The Troggs) *Lita Ford
8. Parasite *John 5 (KISS)
9. Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)
10. Cold Gin *Mike McCready (KISS)
11. Till The End Of The Day (Kinks)
12. Rock and Roll Hell (KISS)

Ace also has announced a three-week tour, and you can check out the dates below. Carry on.

Ace Frehley on Tour:

2/26 - Houston, TX - Scout Bar
2/27 - San Antonio, TX - Fitzgerald's
2/28 - Dallas, TX - The Bomb Factory
3/2 - Tempe, AZ - Marquee Theatre
3/4 - San Miguel, CA - The Ranch
3/5 - Beverly Hills, CA - Saban Theatre
3/6 - Las Vegas, NV - Brooklyn Bowl - Las Vegas
4/1 - Ponte Vedra, FL - Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
4/2 - Clearwater, FL - Capitol Theatre
4/3 - Sunrise, FL - Markham Park - Rockfest 80's
4/5 - Atlanta, GA - Variety Playhouse
4/7 - Danville, VA - Carrington Pavilion
4/9 - New Hope, PA - Havana New Hope
4/11 - New York, NY - BB King's Blues Club
4/12 - New York, NY - BB King's Blues Club
4/13 - Huntington, NY - The Paramount
4/15 - Wilkes Barre, PA - The F.M. Kirby Center
4/16 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance
Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,323
    Pre order over @ https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/origins-vol.-1/id1083108066
    Expected Release: Apr 15, 2016

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Good stuff! Cold Gin is my favorite Kiss song.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    @MikeMcCreadyPJ So excited to play on "Cold Gin" from the new @ace_frehley record! Thanks for being a huge influence on me!!

• samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    This is awesome! I may have to get a ticket to see Ace in NYC! He was friends with my dad back in the day, they grew up in the Bronx together--always found that particularly cool :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    edited February 2016
    http://lasvegasmagazine.com/interviews/qa/2016/mar/04/ace-frehley-brooklyn-bowl-music/

I didn’t expect you to play “White Room.” Maybe the Thin Lizzy song (“Emerald”) or “Cold Gin,” which might give Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready an opportunity to guest with you.

Yeah, that was fun. He did a great solo.
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Wonder if McCready will show up at the Clearwater show. I would imagine the band will be somewhere in Florida by then.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ace-frehley-to-discuss-origins-vol-1-album-at-backstory-event-in-new-york-city/

BackStory has teamed up with original KISS guitarist Ace Frehley for a live interview event focusing on his new album, "Origins Vol. 1", on Wednesday, March 23 at 5:00 p.m. at AOL studios in New York City.
    http://www.indiemerch.com/eonemusic/item/39468

Origins Vol. 1 Bundle
    $20.00 each

Please be aware that this is a pre-order item. Expected to ship on or around April 8, 2016 *

Release Date: April 15, 2016

Bundle includes:
    -CD copy of Origins Vol. 1
    -Album art 18"x24" poster (limited to 500)

Like a shooting star headed toward earth from another solar system, Ace Frehley operates in his own musical galaxy. He’s a musical maverick and iconoclast adored by millions of fans around the world. Through his seminal work with KISS and as a solo artist, Ace Frehley is championed as one of the most influential guitar players of the last four decades and his impact on popular music is immeasurable.

Origins Vol. 1 are the songs that have influenced Ace’s guitar playing throughout the years.
    Comes out this Friday!
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SC Posts: 349
    well that takes me back...
    demetrios said:
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    @ 3:27 .. Mike kicks ass!!
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    That is freakin awesome!!! :rock_on:
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    Album is out today!
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Cold Gin has been my favorite Kiss song since the 70's, so I'm glad that's the one Mike is playing on. I grabbed the album earlier today and have been enjoying it! Especially Cold Gin!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Listen to Cold Gin over @ Spotify .. tinyurl.com/coldgin-2016
    I wonder if Mike will make an appearance @ Ace's show in Seattle @ the Neptune Theatre this Saturday.
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-joins-ace-frehley-on-stage-in-seattle-video/

PEARL JAM guitarist Mike McCready joined original KISS axeman Ace Frehley on stage last night (Saturday, February 11) at the Neptune Theatre in Seattle, Washington to perform the KISS classic "Cold Gin". Fan-filmed video footage of his appearance can be seen below.

McCready, who made a guest appearance on Frehley's all-star covers LP "Origins Vol. 1", told Rolling Stone in a 2014 interview that KISS was a major influence on him when he was growing up. "'Black Diamond' blew my mind," he said. "Ace Frehley came onstage and did it with us at Madison Square Garden a few years ago, which was a total high watermark in my life. When I was 13, I never thought in a million years that I would even talk to him; I'd probably pass out. And here I am playing with him!"

He added: "Ace was their firecracker, their dynamite. He's what took them over the top with the feel he put into his leads. I really gravitated towards his vibrato. My lead for 'Alive' is based on 'She', and that's based on 'Five To One' by THE DOORS. I remember we were in Surrey, England. I thought about it like, 'I'm going to approach this like Ace did on 'She'.' And I remember the chord pattern that Stone [Gossard] wrote lent it to that kind of a descending pattern. So I kind for went with it. And then I improvised from there."

Rumors about Frehley's return to KISS gained strength last year after he teamed up with KISS lead singer Paul Stanley on a cover of FREE's "Fire And Water" in what was their first collaboration since 1998's "Psycho Circus".

Frehley's version of "Fire And Water" appears on "Origins Vol. 1", which received great reviews and landed in the Top 25 on the Billboard album chart.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-joins-ace-frehley-on-stage-in-seattle-video/#xmBDuEZ2CmiYQ5jt.99
    https://www.facebook.com/SavoiaPhotographyLive/photos/a.10150100367077611.276857.55058857610/10154175481952611/?type=3&theater

Mike McCready of Pearl Jam jumped onstage with Ace Frehley tonight in Seattle on "Cold Gin". More photos soon!!

Photo © "Iron" Mike Savoia www.Facebook.com/SavoiaPhotographyLive - No Commercial Use without permission. Facebook sharing is appreciated! — with Ace Frehley, Mike McCready and RICHIE SCARLET--"The Emperor of Rock 'n' Roll"!.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Awesome. Would be cool to live in Seattle and get to see these one off appearances.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Awesome. Would be cool to live in Seattle and get to see these one off appearances.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    my2hands said:

Of course if Mike didn't show up I would have had to sit through an Ace Frehely show, which I'm guessing may not be the greatest thing ever.
  • maverickmaverick Posts: 1,181

my2hands said:

Of course if Mike didn't show up I would have had to sit through an Ace Frehely show, which I'm guessing may not be the greatest thing ever.
    Sorry to hear that's how you would think about it. Similar to Mike, Ace's guitar playing had a huge impact on me and got me to pick up the guitar as well. And when you hear Mike play, you can hear Ace in his style... Listen to the guitar solo in Sad. Same with Alive... If you like that, you would enjoy Ace's solos too. it's a cool thing to hear your first musical influence within the bounds of the music of the band you've followed the past 25 years.
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    Awesome
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J