Has the Race Card/ Political Correctness gone too far ?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/02/15/espn-sued-for-wrongful-termination-by-announcer-after-venus-williams-match-call.html

A veteran ESPN announcer sued the sports network Monday for firing him during the Australian Open over accusations that he had used an ethnic slur against tennis superstar Venus Williams.

Doug Adler, who began working for ESPN in 2008 covering the world’s biggest tennis matches, came under fire for a comment on Jan. 18 when he said Williams used “the guerrilla effect.” The comment went viral because it was pushed along by the New York Times on twitter labeling it as the “appalling” term “gorilla,” which “ignited the flames of anger and hatred” against Adler, the lawsuit said.

Adler was fired two days later.

He claims he was using a well-known term to describe aggressive play yet ESPN has destroyed his career.

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    Never heard the term guerrilla applied to sports.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I call bullshit. if he was actually using the term "guerrilla", that would imply the Williams was using tactics against a superior opponent, taking advantage of the terrain, mobilizing small units to defeat a much larger group, or hit and run, ambushing, and sabotage.

to be fair, maybe he was using a term that isn't normally used in this context, and simply misspoke when trying to make a clever analogy and it failed. who knows.

if the NYT didn't contact him to ask him first about it before "igniting the flames of hatred" towards Adler, then yes, they jumped the gun.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I could see ESPN shit-canning this guy due to social media pressure as he is low on the totem poll. ESPN bows to the PC alter.

Here is what he said:

'She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her,' Adler said during Williams' match. 'You see Venus move in and put the guerrilla effect on. Charging'

Unless ESPN can produce other evidence of racism in his past (and there should be evidence since he has been working for them since '08), I think he will get a nice settlement.
    Jason P said:

I could see ESPN shit-canning this guy due to social media pressure as he is low on the totem poll. ESPN bows to the PC alter.

Here is what he said:

'She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her,' Adler said during Williams' match. 'You see Venus move in and put the guerrilla effect on. Charging'

Unless ESPN can produce other evidence of racism in his past (and there should be evidence since he has been working for them since '08), I think he will get a nice settlement.

yeah, that sounds like a bullshit firing to me.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Here is the video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FeQ7czQsX8

I'm not good at pronouncing words, but that is how I would pronounce 'guerrilla'. How say you?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I wonder if Venus was thinking before the match: 'I'll use the Guerrilla Effect. That will stop her!'
  • eddiec said:

I wonder if Venus was thinking before the match: 'I'll use the Guerrilla Effect. That will stop her!'

It's a sad state of affairs if this is what people in your country have to worry about.
    After watching the video I say it was an honest comment.
    This has gone too far.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

eddiec said:

It's a sad state of affairs if this is what people in your country have to worry about.
    This has gone too far.
    What does that even mean 'It's gone too far?'
    Like, it's gone too far, let's just roll back society to when it was acceptable to use derogatory comments?
    Overreactions occur all the time, not just in political correctness. Instances like this are going to happen.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    in this case, I would say so. But that doesn't mean there isn't STILL legitimateinjustices perpetrated daily.

my personal view on political correctness is its really about basic human decency and respect toward another human being. I can't see how exactly thats a bad thing?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    eddiec said:

eddiec said:

This has gone too far.
    What does that even mean 'It's gone too far?'
    Like, it's gone too far, let's just roll back society to when it was acceptable to use derogatory comments?
    Overreactions occur all the time, not just in political correctness. Instances like this are going to happen.

guerrilla is not derogatory
    Are you calling this an overreaction too?
    I am.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    mickeyrat said:

in this case, I would say so. But that doesn't mean there isn't STILL legitimateinjustices perpetrated daily.

my personal view on political correctness is its really about basic human decency and respect toward another human being. I can't see how exactly thats a bad thing?

agree 100%.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mickeyrat said:

That isn't a bad thing.
    I think the problem some see with PC going to far is too many are overly sensitive to it. You can't bring up fatherless homes when talking about black crimes or someone will accuse you of being racist.
    When I was in college I was having a friendly conversation with 2 coworkers and the word "ghetto" was used. My white friend and I were written up and given a serious warning (like almost lost our job) for using racial slurs, and when we asked why the third person wasn't in trouble our manager responded "because she's black, she's allowed to use that word." I think that was my first personal experience of serious over PC reaction. Here we are some 20 year old kids having a friendly conversation on a lunch break, and our job was threatened because we were white and used the word "ghetto" to describe something, then were told our black coworker can use it since she's black.
    Probably don't need to mention I didn't have a good relationship with my manager after that and didn't give a crap about my job after that and my work productivity quickly declined.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    mace1229 said:

mickeyrat said:

That isn't a bad thing.
    I think the problem some see with PC going to far is too many are overly sensitive to it. You can't bring up fatherless homes when talking about black crimes or someone will accuse you of being racist.
    When I was in college I was having a friendly conversation with 2 coworkers and the word "ghetto" was used. My white friend and I were written up and given a serious warning (like almost lost our job) for using racial slurs, and when we asked why the third person wasn't in trouble our manager responded "because she's black, she's allowed to use that word." I think that was my first personal experience of serious over PC reaction. Here we are some 20 year old kids having a friendly conversation on a lunch break, and our job was threatened because we were white and used the word "ghetto" to describe something, then were told our black coworker can use it since she's black.
    Probably don't need to mention I didn't have a good relationship with my manager after that and didn't give a crap about my job after that and my work productivity quickly declined.
    that scenario depends on how the argument is framed though doesn't it? in what way was that convo framed? what was the context?

on the surface, a misapplication of hr protocols is what it sounds like to me. also got to ask, just how long ago was this?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    my wife and I were at friends' for drinks. the guy uses the word "faggot" in a derogatory way while telling a story, not against homosexuals, but at some guy he thought was being a dick. I glared at him. He said "but I know gays, so I can use it". I completely disagree, and I was pretty furious that this is a guy whose kids socialize with mine. we left shortly after and we haven't been back.

on one hand, I wasn't expecting to be so angry about it, but on another, I never expected him to use it. I don't think you get a pass just because "I have gay friends".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my wife and I were at friends' for drinks. the guy uses the word "faggot" in a derogatory way while telling a story, not against homosexuals, but at some guy he thought was being a dick. I glared at him. He said "but I know gays, so I can use it". I completely disagree, and I was pretty furious that this is a guy whose kids socialize with mine. we left shortly after and we haven't been back.

on one hand, I wasn't expecting to be so angry about it, but on another, I never expected him to use it. I don't think you get a pass just because "I have gay friends".

^ The Tim Whatley defense

Jason P said:

^ The Tim Whatley defense

haha, that's funny. I was going to mention Seinfeld in my post.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    The announcer didn't use the word gorilla people.
    If he did that would be blatantly racist or bad reporting (gorilla to describe methods)?
    Guerilla makes more sense in how it was used and as HFD said a failed analogy.
    Not in a million years would I think to myself while watching that saying "oh my god, he just used the word gorilla talking about a black person"! Fire him,!
    It's absurd
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mickeyrat said:

mace1229 said:

mickeyrat said:

That isn't a bad thing.
    that scenario depends on how the argument is framed though doesn't it? in what way was that convo framed? what was the context?

on the surface, a misapplication of hr protocols is what it sounds like to me. also got to ask, just how long ago was this?
    I don't even remember context, this was 12 years ago or so. Back when the word "ghetto" was used often to describe something shady, you know like if your bumper starts to fall off and you keep it together with duct tape, that's ghetto. It was something like that, innocent conversati0on, nothing to do with race or anything. I'm pretty sure the 2 of us who got into trouble weren't even the first ones to use it, it was our black friend who got a free pass for being black who used it and we just continued the conversation. And to get into as much trouble as we did was ridiculous. To take such offense to an innocent conversation like that just blew my mind at the time. Especially since I remember our defense being we didn't even use the word first (even though I didn't think anything wrong with it at the time anyway) and him following back with "that is our word, you can't have it).

I felt like I got my revenge a month later. It was a job on campus and we had to sign up when we had finals so they wouldn't schedule us. I accidentally said I had PM finals and could work the AM shift. It was reversed, but didn't realized I wrote it down wrong. So I show up for the PM shift (having taking a final that morning) and immediate get my rear end handed to me. In 4 years working this same job, and this was a relatively new manager, this was the one and only time I missed a shift or was even late. The only other incident I ever had was using the word ghetto a few weeks early, but got along great with all our previous managers. So when I realized I wrote down the wrong times I apologized several times, but he kept chewing me out and said this is my second strike and to not let there be a third or I'm gone. He then immediately changes his attitude and says "but since its finals we're really short staffed right now and I could really use your help if you stay, everyone else ha PM finals today." My response was "so you mean I wasn't scheduled to work right? see you tomorrow."

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    a bunch of anti-dentites up in here
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

I find stuff like that more annoying and immature. I just want to tell them to grow up.
  • If only she had flung poo at her opponent and he called it a gorilla "tactic"...
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

If only she had flung poo at her opponent and he called it a gorilla "tactic"...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA !!!!! now that's funny !

I find stuff like that more annoying and immature. I just want to tell them to grow up.
    I would have found it less infuriating had I had a lot less whiskey by that point.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited February 2017
    Jason P said:

Here is what he said:

okay.. gorillas do charge to intimidate. guerillas do not... their actions are more serreptitious... though ambush is one of their moves. if this dude used that term in describing an african american moving in, charging. that is an agressive move, more gorilla than guerilla, which isnt necessarily agrressive... and yes he should have thought about it more. id wager he's a victim of not fully understanding the english language than anything else. semantics and lack of knowledge.
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Jason P said:

Here is what he said:

okay.. gorillas do charge to intimidate. guerillas do not... their actions are more serreptitious... though ambush is one of their moves. if this dude used that term in describing an african american moving in, charging. that is an agressive move, more gorilla than guerilla, which isnt necessarily agrressive... and yes he should have thought about it more. id wager he's a victim of not fully understanding the english language than anything else. semantics and lack of knowledge.
    Except your missing that the term guerilla and tennis have a history.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I knew this was a Godfather production without reading the thread, I wonder why?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    rgambs said:

I knew this was a Godfather production without reading the thread, I wonder why?

nobody else has the cahonies LOL ! hope my topic didn't upset you or hurt your feelings.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

nobody else has the cahonies LOL ! hope my topic didn't upset you or hurt your feelings.

Nobody else is obsessed with racism denial.

I'm fine, YOU are the one who posted a thread for your butthurt.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Nobody else is obsessed with racism denial.

I'm fine, YOU are the one who posted a thread for your butthurt.
    There's no denying anymore. I read one of his posts that said Muslims were an infestation.

I used to defend the guy, but that job is really hard to do lately.

And what a moronic thread/poll about Obama. Obsess much?
    "My brain's a good brain!"

rgambs said:

the cajones to fear 1.2 billion people you don't know.

yeah, you are so fucking brave.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD