Recent Wave of Immigrant Arrests - What Does it Mean?

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

At what point have we met our moral obligation to help poor people?

Right now, for most situations, birth means everything.

Some babies, like us and ours, are born into pleasant circumstances. Others are born into poor circumstances. When we recognize our good fortunes and acknowledge those with misfortunes... we likely won't be so abject to assisting others.

Hoarding massive amounts of wealth earned as a lucky baby on the backs of others is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. We need a more equitable model for wealth distribution that still respects a baby's lottery win- being born to wealth- but allows for babies born unto poor circumstances the opportunity to crawl out of the gutter.
    Well said, Thirty.

Some societies do a much better job than others of making things more equitable, at least for those within their society. Not all societies share the "claw myself to the top" mentality of the USA.

Don't forget you're also a citizen of the world, not just a citizen of the USA.
    Screw that globalist BS. It isn't my burden to save the world when my own country is the one that always picks up the slack. Sorry, hard to equate anything with this coming from a Canadian. My buddy got stopped at the border on his way to a fishing trip because of a DUI a few years prior. Don't lecture me on immigration.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Some babies, like us and ours, are born into pleasant circumstances. Others are born into poor circumstances. When we recognize our good fortunes and acknowledge those with misfortunes... we likely won't be so abject to assisting others.

Hoarding massive amounts of wealth earned as a lucky baby on the backs of others is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. We need a more equitable model for wealth distribution that still respects a baby's lottery win- being born to wealth- but allows for babies born unto poor circumstances the opportunity to crawl out of the gutter.
    Well said, Thirty.

Some societies do a much better job than others of making things more equitable, at least for those within their society. Not all societies share the "claw myself to the top" mentality of the USA.

Screw that globalist BS. It isn't my burden to save the world when my own country is the one that always picks up the slack. Sorry, hard to equate anything with this coming from a Canadian. My buddy got stopped at the border on his way to a fishing trip because of a DUI a few years prior. Don't lecture me on immigration.
    yep, you're undeserving unless you were born within the confines of that magical line that does't exist in reality!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

Congratulations on being a lucky baby, Unsung.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

yep, you're undeserving unless you were born within the confines of that magical line that does't exist in reality!
    But they do exist. All the borders and laws that are in effect now are there as a result of an evolution of human existence on this planet. They are necessary to maintain order, protect property rights, allow for certain freedoms, etc... some are good, some are bad.

I get that the birth lottery isn't fair, but I bet you appreciate the lock on your door and the laws that protect your property you rent or own.

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

But they do exist. All the borders and laws that are in effect now are there as a result of an evolution of human existence on this planet. They are necessary to maintain order, protect property rights, allow for certain freedoms, etc... some are good, some are bad.

I get that the birth lottery isn't fair, but I bet you appreciate the lock on your door and the laws that protect your property you rent or own.
    my point is I can't stand this "stay out of my country" bullshit. countries are man made dividers. I understand the fundamental need for them, but to use them as some type of reasoning for not helping others, I find, is completely unacceptable.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Maybe when there is no more poverty , otherwise I'd say we can't stop ever !
    We can't empty the boat when water keeps flowing in.

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

Sorry bud, I believe in property rights. Or do you leave your front door open each night?
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

Sorry bud, I believe in property rights. Or do you leave your front door open each night?
    well, I guess I could respond to that if I believed equating immigrants with criminals made a lick of sense.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

You mean you only believe in 'your' property rights. Native Indians believe in property rights too. All the arguments you make are moot.

This exclusion attitude has been around a long time. Didn't European groups such as the Irish and the Italians face hostility as they- like the English people right before them- tried to make a new life for themselves on a new continent? Say nothing of the Chinese who were treated like garbage. Oh yah... blacks faced some hostility too.

On the micro scale, lock your door. It makes perfect sense to. But don't equate locking your door from outsiders to locking a massive chunk of land to outsiders when you're an outsider to begin with.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I'd say watch what you wish for we are all one dreadful event from being homeless or destitute , I say there is enough in this country to take care of the needy !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

Your own country is not always picking up the slack. As a percentage of national income, the contribution from the US to foreign aid, for example, is small. You're pretty much middle to low end of the pack.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:

Literally dozens of people?

LOL. They have it so rough those Canadians.
    I'm not complaining about it. I do think it's telling, though, and contradicts your narrative.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited February 2017

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

my point is I can't stand this "stay out of my country" bullshit. countries are man made dividers. I understand the fundamental need for them, but to use them as some type of reasoning for not helping others, I find, is completely unacceptable.
    I don't disagree. It bugs me that some wealthy family can buy up thousands and thousands of acres and 200 years later it is still controlled by their heirs who did nothing for it.

I'm just for responsible, legal immigration. If we need 1,000,000 Mexicans to work in the USA in 2018 than lets get it done through the legal process.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

unsung said:

the point is many people are fleeing the US and coming to Canada, in the middle of winter, on foot. I thought the US was the land of opportunity!
    right via N Dakota. guys are being frostbit and losing digits. So yeah, go ahead and laugh.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

well, I guess I could respond to that if I believed equating immigrants with criminals made a lick of sense.
    ????? really ?

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

????? really ?

comprehension problem?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

I'm not complaining about it. I do think it's telling, though, and contradicts your narrative.
    When it hits 11,000,000 come talk to me.

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

Your own country is not always picking up the slack. As a percentage of national income, the contribution from the US to foreign aid, for example, is small. You're pretty much middle to low end of the pack.
    Foreign aid should be zero. We have too many of our own problems.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    unsung said:

we haven't.

if anybody thinks they have, they are a dick.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

unsung said:

we haven't.

if anybody thinks they have, they are a dick.
    So how much more do you want to bleed me for?
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Perfect!!!

Let's do charity willingly and not forced under the threat of being killed.

I know I would donate more than I already do.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    unsung said:

Perfect!!!

Let's do charity willingly and not forced under the threat of being killed.

I know I would donate more than I already do.

Charities can't do what food stamps can do. Ask them if you think I'm a hot air wind bag statist pawn.
    Yeah, those Church food drives never did any good. SMH.
    unsung said:

Yeah, those Church food drives never did any good. SMH.

You're too polarized. They do good, but they'll tell you they're in addition to food stamps, not a replacement.
    Should there be a time limit on food stamps?
    unsung said:

Should there be a time limit on food stamps?

You know there already is, right?
    For some.

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Well said, Thirty.

????? really ?

comprehension problem?
    no, just total amazement at your lack of understanding of the real world, this country and all others have fought and maintained borders
    from the beginning even the native Americans (or so they're called) fought for and killed each other for hunting grounds and living areas
    and it was always a matter of survival...to maintain a peoples security, your free love, hippy way of thinking is what wiped-out some of the non aggressive tribes and cultures but I'm sure you don't believe that right ?
    even the hippy generation grew up and understood the means of survival, you really should put that fad away and think in terms of survival yourself...just say'n..

HFD you dislike borders right ? do you enjoy living in Canada without the pesky laws that govern the United States ? or other countries' ?
    your open border and free reign for the people idea is noble but seriously un-workable....it's a hippy pipe dream and hopefully someday you'll realize open borders will never work.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

HFD you dislike borders right ? do you enjoy living in Canada without the pesky laws that govern the United States ? or other countries' ?
    your open border and free reign for the people idea is noble but seriously un-workable....it's a hippy pipe dream and hopefully someday you'll realize open borders will never work.

So you don't like , immigrants , Muslims, native Americans but hippies too ! Man how do you look in the mirror...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....