Options

Boycott American goods - everyone outside the US

123457»

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:

vaggar99 said:

question..is it fair to boycott Ivanka brands?

You can boycott whatever your conscience tells you to boycott. I was never going to buy Ivanka brand clothing anyway so it makes no difference; however, I don't hold her responsible for Donald and his actions.
    Maybe you should, at least a little. It's not like she has no say and no place in Trump's political activities. She is known to advise him closely, and her husband is his WH advisor. She's not just sitting on the sidelines, a hapless victims of her father's bullshit, like Barron Trump is, or even like his wife is (which is crazy, since she's supposed to be the fucking First Lady). Ivanka is quite directly involved in all this.
    Who knows - maybe she's advising him to be less of an idiot?

But in any case I will continue to not buy her brand, just as I was not buying her brand before.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    rgambs said:

PP193448 said:

rgambs said:

Buying from Starbucks is foolish anyways, who spends that kind of money on coffee?

And then people have the balls to bitch about the economy, gas prices, or taxes lol.
    People are just dumb.

You could say that about cigarettes more so... plus our premiums and taxes go to pay for the complications of smoking. That's what's really fucking ridiculous.
    Cigarettes are even worse, but thankfully use is in decline. Societal acceptance, and even encouragement of caffeine means coffee won't be going anywhere.
    Not to mention the health benefits of drinking coffee, cannot think of any health benefits stemming from cigarettes.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PP193448 said:

rgambs said:

Buying from Starbucks is foolish anyways, who spends that kind of money on coffee?

And then people have the balls to bitch about the economy, gas prices, or taxes lol.
    People are just dumb.

You could say that about cigarettes more so... plus our premiums and taxes go to pay for the complications of smoking. That's what's really fucking ridiculous.
    Cigarettes are even worse, but thankfully use is in decline. Societal acceptance, and even encouragement of caffeine means coffee won't be going anywhere.
    Not to mention the health benefits of drinking coffee, cannot think of any health benefits stemming from cigarettes.
    Health benefits?
    Never heard of any that outweigh the negatives.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PP193448 said:

rgambs said:

People are just dumb.

Health benefits?
    Never heard of any that outweigh the negatives.
    Oh, there are tons. Most of the recent research shows that benifits far outweigh the negatives. Here's a few:http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    rssesq said:
    I have a hard time taking anything seriously that starts out with the #1 benefit being caffeine. There are hundreds of articles and research that claim otherwise about caffeine, and in fact most scientists believe drinking caffeine makes your body stop producing its own stimulants and begins to rely on caffeine, thus the feeling that you can't get your day started before your first cup of coffee.....because you can't, your body has begun to rely on it instead of making its own.

#1 was so ridiculous I stopped reading.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited February 2017
    But I like buying Nike Products and Air Jordan stuff though...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:

rssesq said:
    I have a hard time taking anything seriously that starts out with the #1 benefit being caffeine. There are hundreds of articles and research that claim otherwise about caffeine, and in fact most scientists believe drinking caffeine makes your body stop producing its own stimulants and begins to rely on caffeine, thus the feeling that you can't get your day started before your first cup of coffee.....because you can't, your body has begun to rely on it instead of making its own.

Please link to those other articles. I have not seen a credible article that claimed that drinking coffee made to body "stop producing its own stimulants".
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited February 2017

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

Please link to those other articles. I have not seen a credible article that claimed that drinking coffee made to body "stop producing its own stimulants".
    Feel free to google "effects of caffeine" if you want more than one. That's what I did when you asked for a link and found a bunch of sources, I guess it is up to you to determine if it is credible. Its not ground-breaking research, its been out a long time.Here's just the top search result.
    http://www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-effects-on-body

Describes how your body can become dependent on it, and skipping a day can give you headaches or other symptoms, giving you the feeling you cant get through the day without it. And just like with any drug when you become dependent on it you will require more to obtain the same effect.

Most studies agree that someone who never drinks caffeine will have the same alertness as someone who drinks the same amount every day. But is person B stops drinking for a day their will have a lot of negative effects. The only time you increase in alertness, if you want to consider that a benefit, is for someone who normally does not consume caffeine but will on occasion. It does not have the boosted levels when used on a daily basis.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

Feel free to google "effects of caffeine" if you want more than one. That's what I did when you asked for a link and found a bunch of sources, I guess it is up to you to determine if it is credible. Its not ground-breaking research, its been out a long time.Here's just the top search result.

Describes how your body can become dependent on it, and skipping a day can give you headaches or other symptoms, giving you the feeling you cant get through the day without it. And just like with any drug when you become dependent on it you will require more to obtain the same effect.

Most studies agree that someone who never drinks caffeine will have the same alertness as someone who drinks the same amount every day. But is person B stops drinking for a day their will have a lot of negative effects. The only time you increase in alertness, if you want to consider that a benefit, is for someone who normally does not consume caffeine but will on occasion. It does not have the boosted levels when used on a daily basis.
    I agree with Mace. There's a reason people need their morning coffee to "get going" and I don't understand it because I don't drink coffee. It's a drug and like any drug, it creates a need in your body and inhibits natural stimulants.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

I agree with Mace. There's a reason people need their morning coffee to "get going" and I don't understand it because I don't drink coffee. It's a drug and like any drug, it creates a need in your body and inhibits natural stimulants.
    I'm totally addicted to caffeine and will get the headaches you mention if I go too long without it. That being said, coffee itself still has tremendous health benifits that for me, personally, outweigh the consequences. It is way less detrimental to your health than sodas, fruit drinks, alcohol, potato chips, cigarettes...or any number of other vises that many people use as a crutch to get through the day.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

I'm totally addicted to caffeine and will get the headaches you mention if I go too long without it. That being said, coffee itself still has tremendous health benifits that for me, personally, outweigh the consequences. It is way less detrimental to your health than sodas, fruit drinks, alcohol, potato chips, cigarettes...or any number of other vises that many people use as a crutch to get through the day.
    I agree with all of those except certain types of alcohol in limited quantities. Wine would be my crutch, but only 1 or 2 glasses every few days. Not sure the bourbon is good for my health though :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

True, coffee does have benefits. I was just commenting that I can't take an article seriously that lists a boosted level of alertness as the #1 benefit. And many of the benefits are based on moderate consumption, 1-2 cups a day. I think we all know many people who are in the 6-10 cups a day range, and that is an addition, not a benefit. A large from Starbucks (or whatever the heck they call a "large" over there) is something like 3-4 cups of coffee.
    Like anything, too much will make the good go bad. If 1 glass of wine a day is good for you, that doesn't mean 1 bottle a day is great.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:

PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

True, coffee does have benefits. I was just commenting that I can't take an article seriously that lists a boosted level of alertness as the #1 benefit. And many of the benefits are based on moderate consumption, 1-2 cups a day. I think we all know many people who are in the 6-10 cups a day range, and that is an addition, not a benefit. A large from Starbucks (or whatever the heck they call a "large" over there) is something like 3-4 cups of coffee.
    Like anything, too much will make the good go bad. If 1 glass of wine a day is good for you, that doesn't mean 1 bottle a day is great.
    Can you apply this amount of critical thinking to the Trump administration?
  • Options
    dignin said:

mace1229 said:

PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

I only allow myself to apply critical thinking skills to 1 topic a day. Today it was coffee.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

dignin said:

mace1229 said:

PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:

mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

rssesq said:

I only allow myself to apply critical thinking skills to 1 topic a day. Today it was coffee.
    That is fair.
  • Options
    The Travel Press is Reporting the 'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States
    Experts across the travel industry are warning that masses of tourists are being scared away from visiting the United States, and the loss of tourism jobs could be devastating.

http://www.frommers.com/tips/miscellaneous/the-travel-press-is-reporting-the-trump-slump-a-devastating-drop-in-tourism-to-the-united-states

I personally know quite a few people here in Canada that have cancelled their trips to the US and stopped making plans to go there. It might have something to do with this kind of stuff.

Calgary seniors shocked at being fingerprinted, mug-shotted by U.S. border officials

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/calgary-seniors-shocked-at-being-fingerprinted-mug-shotted-by-u-s-border-officials

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    dignin said:

The Travel Press is Reporting the 'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States
    Experts across the travel industry are warning that masses of tourists are being scared away from visiting the United States, and the loss of tourism jobs could be devastating.

http://www.frommers.com/tips/miscellaneous/the-travel-press-is-reporting-the-trump-slump-a-devastating-drop-in-tourism-to-the-united-states

I personally know quite a few people here in Canada that have cancelled their trips to the US and stopped making plans to go there. It might have something to do with this kind of stuff.

Calgary seniors shocked at being fingerprinted, mug-shotted by U.S. border officials

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/calgary-seniors-shocked-at-being-fingerprinted-mug-shotted-by-u-s-border-officials

I'm glad to support American tourism. My family and I are planning a trip to Buffalo to revoke our American citizenship.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    i_lov_it said:

But I like buying Nike Products and Air Jordan stuff though...

\
    I hear ya.