Should Andrew Puzder be confirmed as US Labor Secretary?

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
edited February 2017 in A Moving Train

Should Andrew Puzder be confirmed as US Labor Secretary? 6 votes

Yes
16%
Dirtie_Frank 1 vote
No
83%
jeffbrvaggar99my2handsmfc2006Bentleyspop 5 votes

Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    No
    In 1984, I was hired as a cashier at Hardee’s in Columbia, S.C., making $4.25 an hour. By 2005, 21 years later, my pay was only at $8 an hour. That’s a $3.75 raise for a lifetime of work. Adjusted for inflation, it’s only a 2-cent raise.

https://washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/07/andy-puzder-will-be-a-disaster-for-workers-i-know-he-was-for-me/?utm_term=.2d9d50bfc27f
    No
    where are all the people fearing the demise of the working man now?
  • Yes
    Maybe if you wanted to make more money you would not be a cashier at a fast food restaurant? Your logic is flawed as well, do you think you would never get a raise or a promotion at Hardens? Do you think you would stay a Hardee's cashier for 21 years? There are too many stories I know personally where employees at fast food restaurants cannot even do their tasks correctly and you want them to get paid $15 a hour. These jobs are not to raise a family on. Minimum skills, minimum experience = minimum wage.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    vaggar99 said:

In 1984, I was hired as a cashier at Hardee’s in Columbia, S.C., making $4.25 an hour. By 2005, 21 years later, my pay was only at $8 an hour. That’s a $3.75 raise for a lifetime of work. Adjusted for inflation, it’s only a 2-cent raise.

https://washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/07/andy-puzder-will-be-a-disaster-for-workers-i-know-he-was-for-me/?utm_term=.2d9d50bfc27f

lol the person worked at Hardee's for 21 years! They should see if they can get in the Guinness book of world records, make some extra cash from the fame, that's gotta be a record.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    No
    okay, so providing an essential life need to our population is a low skill job, but doing the same thing over and over all day long in a factory is a high skilled job?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    A cashier is not a life need. That position was replaced long ago by self checkout lines.
    No
    unsung said:

A cashier is not a life need. That position was replaced long ago by self checkout lines.

somebody still has to make the food. have you ever worked in a restaurant? i worked pizza delivery for 6 months once. it sucks. you are constantly inundated with the smell of the same food day after day. it got to me after a while. i couldn't eat pizza for at least another year after that.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I did, in high school.

I started at 15 as a dishwasher and busboy at a family restaurant, worked at Dairy Queen, a gas station, and then delivered pizzas throughout high school. I've detasseled corn, worked concrete, picked onions in the fields with people that only spoke Spanish, cleaned hvac air ducts, and took other temp jobs in the summer while in school.

At some point you either accept your situation or you decide that you want more. Then do do what you chose.

You have to make yourself have value, always work to improve, or you get replaced.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Yeah, I did, in high school.

I started at 15 as a dishwasher and busboy at a family restaurant, worked at Dairy Queen, a gas station, and then delivered pizzas throughout high school.

At some point you either accept your situation or you decide that you want more. Then do do what you chose.

It's not always that simple, when you have bills to pay you have to pay them, not everybody has a support system and putting yourself through school isn't a possibility now.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I don't buy it. People make poor life choices because consequences are minimal.
    No
    unsung said:

perhaps oversimplified. i think it's obvious that environment and genetics plays into it. i think its society's responsibility to recognize these disadvantages in our fellow man and help out. we all benefit in the end.
    Eliminating the welfare state would be a good start.

I get that people sometimes fall on hard times and need a little help. A little help isn't for life though.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Your purchase isn't necessary, truth isn't transactional.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2017
    vaggar99 said:

okay, so providing an essential life need to our population is a low skill job, but doing the same thing over and over all day long in a factory is a high skilled job?

I do not know that providing fast food is an essential life need to our population. Farmers and ranchers growing the food, yes, but fast food is just a modern day convenience...and an unhealthy one at that. As a matter of fact, you would probably have to pay me a doctor's wage to actually eat at a Hardee's, McDonalds, *insert fast food chain...They should change the term to "Quick cheep-ass gut fucking food". If it weren't cheap as shit, no one would eat it...If it were more expensive due to forced higher wages, it would fail to exist=no wage for making cheap ass nasty food.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    21 years as a cashier at Hardee's! lol holy shit where's the Tylenol
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    No
    sad
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

21 years as a cashier at Hardee's! lol holy shit where's the Tylenol

https://youtu.be/hTOKJTRHMdw
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I don't care at all everyone of his nominees got the nod the establishment doesn't care about the public at all , you got racists, you got all of Wall Street moguls , you got the Russian medal winner .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    unsung said:

Eliminating the welfare state would be a good start.

I get that people sometimes fall on hard times and need a little help. A little help isn't for life though.

Who's on public assistance for life?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    unsung said:

So say all of your "poor choice" people gained desireable skills. Would there be a better job for each one of them?
    No
    Oprah Winfrey’s network has reportedly provided senators in both parties with a copy of an old episode of the “Oprah Winfrey Show” in which Labor Secretary nominee Andrew Puzder’s ex-wife accuses him of assault.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/319349-oprahs-network-provides-senate-with-tape-of-abuse-allegations
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Great news so what other upstanding creep will he pick now ?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    No

Big Bird?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

Big Bird?
    lol hell yeah !
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No
    mfc2006 said:
    Guess his vote on here was NO as well
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

mfc2006 said:
    Guess his vote on here was NO as well
    Haha!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    No
    my sources say the Pudzer resistance has it's roots in AMT.