Options

Receiver Problem

I know there's another thread with a receiver just posted, but that was very specific, just like mine.
I just traded in my old TT cabinet system for something for practical and better. Got a Dual 1219, some vintage Klipsch speakers, and a Pioneer SX 3600 from about 1980.
Picked them up off Craigslist the same day, and all seemed to work perfect when I got them and all in great shape.
But when I got home and hooked everything up and I have to have the balance at about 90% towards the right speaker for the volume to be equal. I thought it was maybe an input, but it does the same with the TT, or aux input, or even radio. Thought it was maybe the speaker connection, but switched the speakers and the problem comes from the one hooked up to the right side. Even when I used the "B" speakers instead of "A"
I guess it isn't a big deal so far, still sounds great. But I have to have the volume knob much higher than I otherwise would, since I'm putting about 90% towards the weak side. Still gets plenty loud enough though.
This something that can easily be fixed, or can jack something else up if It doesn't?

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    do the knobs pull off? Sometimes the lines are wrong because the knobs aren't on right........
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    I'd start with a good cleaning.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    Deoxit is your friend. It's a very good contact cleaner.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Pay special attention to the volume pot, balance control, EQ pots, speaker terminals and source selection control.

If you don't want to do it yourself, a tech shouldn't charge more than $40.00 or $50.00.

That cost might include an output and offset bias test.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm pretty sure the knobs pull off, but haven't tried yet. I know it is centered though because you can feel a little click when it is in the middle. I assume that wouldn't happen if it was offset. Will try a cleaning.
  • Options
    You may have to partially disassemble your receiver to effectively clean the pots and switches. Have you had to do anything like that before?

I know different people have varying comfort levels when it comes to fixing stuff.
  • Options
    I love those old Dual idler drives. They're funky looking but they sound awesome and can be serviced to run damn near indefinitely.