Boycott American goods - everyone outside the US

Comments

• Got my answer:

“We have seen negative perceptions impact tourism to the US in the past, particularly around the time of the invasion of Iraq and the post-9/11 ramping up of border security,” said a spokesperson for the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    question..is it fair to boycott Ivanka brands?
  • Annafalk said:

As hard as it sounds, please stand up to this bullying by the US president- shop local, buy local, try only buy things made outside of the US

Stop embarrassing yourself, Americans are friendly and cool people, I don't want to boycott them.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-travel-ban-has-casts-a-shadow-over-us-tourism/

Thankfully it's not just me Annafalk! There must be a lot of embarrassed people out there( But all the better for it).
    Hey did you ever tell what shows were bad?

Let me share one with you: Soundgarden at the QE in Vancouver. Horrible. Terrible sound and it looked as if the band played while having stomach flus.

So yah. What about yours?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    vaggar99 said:

Absofreakinlutely
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506

So what was the beef with Uber? They helped people get to and from the airport?

Oh the humanity!

As a Trump opposer, I was (and am) disappointed in the Uber ban movement. It was reactionary and thought without consequence, which is the very thing we are opposed to with Trump and his words, actions, and policies.
    The New York taxi drivers union joined the immigration ban protests by going on an hour-long strike. During this hour, Uber - whose CEO is on Trump's economic advisory committee - stated they would suspend peak pricing and many took that as a sleight to the taxi union and as support of Trump's immigration ban. Lyft then pledged to donate $1million to the ACLU and everyone started deleting Uber and downloading and using Lyft.
    Uber's CEO has since spoke out against the executive order and stated they did not intend to break up the strike. They've also pledged to put $3million into a legal fund to help drivers affected by the ban and are offering immigration assistance to any affected employees.
    Did Lyft suspend its services? No. Are they just donating $1,000,000 because they see blood in the water around Uber? Yes.

Are we to the point that if you don't shut down your business it means that you are a supporter of whatever law someone else is protesting and are subject to a boycott? The taxi cab drivers decided to make a statement. That doesn't bind Uber to be required to follow their lead whether they support the law or not. This is a scary time. This is why the left scares me so much.
    At the end of the day, consumers make the decisions. Simple as that. If consumers want to make decisions based on politics, that is fair game IMO. There are much better things to be scared about than liberals voicing their opinions through their wallets. If anything, that is the most democratic thing anyone in America can do in a capitalist society.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    vaggar99 said:

You can boycott whatever your conscience tells you to boycott. I was never going to buy Ivanka brand clothing anyway so it makes no difference; however, I don't hold her responsible for Donald and his actions.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

vaggar99 said:

You can boycott whatever your conscience tells you to boycott. I was never going to buy Ivanka brand clothing anyway so it makes no difference; however, I don't hold her responsible for Donald and his actions.
    i'll rationalize by the fact that she has a seat in the administration. otherwise, i would say it's unfair. boycott away. i'm pretty sure her fashion lines are just not very popular among women to begin with
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

I think I'll join in and start boycotting Mexican goods as well. I can grow chili peppers in my own garden. No need to buy a vehicle at this point...think I'm good on most everything else.

If you are a serious gardener or even consumer, you know that almost all of our out of season produce is from Mexico, and it is no laughing matter.
    And our entire agricultural system would collapse without our exploited migrant work force.
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 519
    edited February 2017

Annafalk said:

As hard as it sounds, please stand up to this bullying by the US president- shop local, buy local, try only buy things made outside of the US

Stop embarrassing yourself, Americans are friendly and cool people, I don't want to boycott them.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/articles/trump-travel-ban-has-casts-a-shadow-over-us-tourism/

Thankfully it's not just me Annafalk! There must be a lot of embarrassed people out there( But all the better for it).
    Hey did you ever tell what shows were bad?

Let me share one with you: Soundgarden at the QE in Vancouver. Horrible. Terrible sound and it looked as if the band played while having stomach flus.

So yah. What about yours?
    This was one of them - Dublin 1996

Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,934

vaggar99 said:

One thing I will say about boycotts is that they weren't designed to be fair - they were designed to exert pressure and produce change. The whole premise is to expedite pressure by making a population feel the weight of the actions of its administration.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    How can anyone hate a 96 show?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

The reviewer clearly doesn't really care for Pearl Jam lol

I have to say though, he hit uncomfortably close to the truth with his comments on Lukin, Habit, and Mankind.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

One thing I will say about boycotts is that they weren't designed to be fair - they were designed to exert pressure and produce change. The whole premise is to expedite pressure by making a population feel the weight of the actions of its administration.
    Like the effective boycott on Starbucks currently going on.
    Mankind clearly illustrated some tension within the band. I'm guessing certain members were not happy with the content of the album as a whole.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,816
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

The reviewer clearly doesn't really care for Pearl Jam lol

I have to say though, he hit uncomfortably close to the truth with his comments on Lukin, Habit, and Mankind.
    The pearlies....that s worse than "the jamily".
    and you are right...mankind, habit and lukin did fall flat back in the day.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

I don't think I said a word about specific boycotts - like any effort, some will succeed, others will fail. Also, it's pretty short-sighted to judge the efficacy of a boycott on the results of a few weeks.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Fair enough. Do you think that boycotting Ivanka brand would exert pressure and produce the sort of change we would be looking for? I don't, so that's two knocks against that plan in my books.
    edited February 2017
    benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

I don't think I said a word about specific boycotts - like any effort, some will succeed, others will fail. Also, it's pretty short-sighted to judge the efficacy of a boycott on the results of a few weeks.
    No, you misread! The Starbucks boycott has been quite effective. No sarcasm intended. Boycotts can work if you get enough people on board, as seen with Starbucks and Chipotle. This "boycott all American goods" doesn't seem to have enough heat to burn, though.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

No, you misread! The Starbucks boycott has been quite effective. No sarcasm intended. Boycotts can work if you get enough people on board, as seen with Starbucks and Chipotle. This "boycott all American goods" doesn't seem to have enough heat to burn, though.
    Very effective

Starbucks has become a target of Trump-loving conservatives — and that's great news for the brand

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-become-target-trump-loving-041224969.html
    edited February 2017
    dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Very effective

Starbucks has become a target of Trump-loving conservatives — and that's great news for the brand

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/starbucks-become-target-trump-loving-041224969.html
    What a great example of an in depth story about consumerism....but you are right, it probably does not have enough heat to burn such a massive corporation. On the bright side, small veteran owned coffee businesses are also seeing a surge in consumerism due to the boycott, which greatly effects them in a positive way.
    I was a Starbucks drinker, but these guys now have my respect and business:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/veteran-owned-black-rifle-coffee-company-stands-up-for-small-businesses-and-america-while-disgusted-by-starbucks-propaganda-300402198.html
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

My sincere apologies, PJPOWER! Completely misread that - how terrible is it that I assumed sarcasm on here instead of an honest opinion.

And oftenreading - regarding boycotting Ivanka Trump's brand: if Ivanka Trump was any other fashion designer with financial ties to Trump, I'd say a boycott would be ineffective. With Ivanka, Trump's daughter, it's different. First, it's an attack on family, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he probably loves his family and wants them to succeed. Next, a narcissist like Trump would likely consider his offspring to be more of an extension of himself. This would mean that an attack on their ability to be successful entrepreneurs would be an attack on his own. Whether the financial ramifications are small or large about this, appealing to Trump's sensitivity and emotionality is probably a wise approach.

EV
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I had a Starbuck's coffee this weekend. Good!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

I was once a diehard Starbucks drinker and there were not many other drive through quality coffee choices around here. There are now a few local businesses that serve better tasting coffee for less $. I was still buying their brand online, but have since switched to a veteran owned/supporting brand. It actually seems like fresher, higher quality stuff too.
    PJPOWER said:

jeffbr said:

I was once a diehard Starbucks drinker and there were not many other drive through quality coffee choices around here. There are now a few local businesses that serve better tasting coffee for less $. I was still buying their brand online, but have since switched to a veteran owned/supporting brand. It actually seems like fresher, higher quality stuff too.
    I'm not a coffee drinker. I do like that Starbucks helps fund further education for its employees, but yes, there definitely are companies out there providing better coffee.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    CharBucks
    home of the overroasted beans
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Very effective

It's a win-win for coffee shops big and small.

For small shops they get more business from conservative boycotters.

For Starbucks they get more money from people supporting their anti-trump stance.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited February 2017

vaggar99 said:

Maybe you should, at least a little. It's not like she has no say and no place in Trump's political activities. She is known to advise him closely, and her husband is his WH advisor. She's not just sitting on the sidelines, a hapless victims of her father's bullshit, like Barron Trump is, or even like his wife is (which is crazy, since she's supposed to be the fucking First Lady). Ivanka is quite directly involved in all this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Buying from Starbucks is foolish anyways, who spends that kind of money on coffee?

And then people have the balls to bitch about the economy, gas prices, or taxes lol.
    People are just dumb.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    rgambs said:

Buying from Starbucks is foolish anyways, who spends that kind of money on coffee?

And then people have the balls to bitch about the economy, gas prices, or taxes lol.
    People are just dumb.

You could say that about cigarettes more so... plus our premiums and taxes go to pay for the complications of smoking. That's what's really fucking ridiculous.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:

rgambs said:

People are just dumb.

You could say that about cigarettes more so... plus our premiums and taxes go to pay for the complications of smoking. That's what's really fucking ridiculous.
    Cigarettes are even worse, but thankfully use is in decline. Societal acceptance, and even encouragement of caffeine means coffee won't be going anywhere.