Comments

• mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:
    It's exactly what I wrote several days ago. The Democrats belief in federal gov't has caused them to neglect state and local races. I thank you Free, for agreeing with my point. Looks like we might be on the same page on a few issues.
    That's a great article and is one of the reasons Walker was my number 1 choice in the GOP primaries. His quick exit also made me realize that Trump was going to win.

The one problem the article doesn't get into is the current Democratic Party philosophical problem. When as a party you believe in a big federal government that overtime usurps and/or forces compliance upon state/local governments then naturally you ignore state level issues. It then becomes harder to win state/local elections on a platform which gives up authority to the federal govenment. The philosophy will always be at odds with state/local election outcomes. GOP success especially in a state like Wisconsin is not an accident.
    Precisely my point. Republicans believe in local government so they invest in the process.
    Exactly. So how does the democratic party fix that philosophy to win at the local level. Free linked the article but I highly doubt he believes in anything other then a big and burdensome federal government.
    I spent the morning collecting ballot petition signatures from identified "strong or leaning Democrats" in my precinct for two candidates running for state office in November. Even though we have no doubt we could have easily gotten the signatures otherwise, we used the petition as a reason to knock on people's doors and remind them there is an election in Virginia every year. Our goal is to increase voter turnout in off-year elections, and we are canvassing every single weekend this month to get started on the effort. Today, everyone I spoke to was friendly toward having me knock on their door on a Saturday morning and expressed gratitude toward my effort. Two people extended a desire to volunteer in the future.

Also today, two of our local Democratic state delegates had a town hall meeting and packed the house. I couldn't attend because I was out in the damned cold talking to neighbors, but reports indicate that citizens are concerned about state issues, or they would not have attended the town hall.

I think it would be foolish to assume that going forward, Democrats are going to make the same mistakes. It's not going to be a perfect about-face, but at the grassroots level, people know what is at stake, and I personally am witnessing in the flesh movement in a positive direction.
    Thank you. I spent last week laying into Dave Brat because he's a cretin and can't put together a coherent sentence in public. That was my community service. Then my daughter's friend's mother gave him an earful about healthcare and he complained later in the day about how a woman "got in his grill" and he thinks she was a paid protester. He's such a dipshit. Fortunately the Times-Dispatch picked up on the whole thing and laid into him.
    I saw that "women in my grill" report. Let's continue to unnerve them all.
    And he is such a fucking liar. He knows damn well she was a constituent. We were all judging a "We the People" contest at Glen Allen HS, in the middle of the district. There were no protesters. We didn't even know that he was going to show up.
    A few months back you were a pretty even keeled guy/looking at both sides.
    Lately you seem to be very angry and swearing more in your posts....
    Are you ok man?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:
    It's exactly what I wrote several days ago. The Democrats belief in federal gov't has caused them to neglect state and local races. I thank you Free, for agreeing with my point. Looks like we might be on the same page on a few issues.
    That's a great article and is one of the reasons Walker was my number 1 choice in the GOP primaries. His quick exit also made me realize that Trump was going to win.

The one problem the article doesn't get into is the current Democratic Party philosophical problem. When as a party you believe in a big federal government that overtime usurps and/or forces compliance upon state/local governments then naturally you ignore state level issues. It then becomes harder to win state/local elections on a platform which gives up authority to the federal govenment. The philosophy will always be at odds with state/local election outcomes. GOP success especially in a state like Wisconsin is not an accident.
    Precisely my point. Republicans believe in local government so they invest in the process.
    Exactly. So how does the democratic party fix that philosophy to win at the local level. Free linked the article but I highly doubt he believes in anything other then a big and burdensome federal government.
    I spent the morning collecting ballot petition signatures from identified "strong or leaning Democrats" in my precinct for two candidates running for state office in November. Even though we have no doubt we could have easily gotten the signatures otherwise, we used the petition as a reason to knock on people's doors and remind them there is an election in Virginia every year. Our goal is to increase voter turnout in off-year elections, and we are canvassing every single weekend this month to get started on the effort. Today, everyone I spoke to was friendly toward having me knock on their door on a Saturday morning and expressed gratitude toward my effort. Two people extended a desire to volunteer in the future.

Also today, two of our local Democratic state delegates had a town hall meeting and packed the house. I couldn't attend because I was out in the damned cold talking to neighbors, but reports indicate that citizens are concerned about state issues, or they would not have attended the town hall.

I think it would be foolish to assume that going forward, Democrats are going to make the same mistakes. It's not going to be a perfect about-face, but at the grassroots level, people know what is at stake, and I personally am witnessing in the flesh movement in a positive direction.
    Thank you. I spent last week laying into Dave Brat because he's a cretin and can't put together a coherent sentence in public. That was my community service. Then my daughter's friend's mother gave him an earful about healthcare and he complained later in the day about how a woman "got in his grill" and he thinks she was a paid protester. He's such a dipshit. Fortunately the Times-Dispatch picked up on the whole thing and laid into him.
    I saw that "women in my grill" report. Let's continue to unnerve them all.
    And he is such a fucking liar. He knows damn well she was a constituent. We were all judging a "We the People" contest at Glen Allen HS, in the middle of the district. There were no protesters. We didn't even know that he was going to show up.
    A few months back you were a pretty even keeled guy/looking at both sides.
    Lately you seem to be very angry and swearing more in your posts....
    Are you ok man?
    I always swear in my posts, but I appreciate your concern. I'm still the same. I just really dislike my congressman. He doesn't represent our community, he represents the Tea Party faction. For him to talk about one of his constituents like that is very annoying. She is a lawyer and very smart. It's also telling that I was "up in his grill" before she was but he only mentioned her. Perhaps because I'm a white male.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited February 2017
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

What party do I belong to again Russell?

If not the Democratic or Republican, then an inconsequential one.
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

... because your party is doing SOOOO well. LMFAO
    In my voting life, Democrats have held the Oval Office 16 out 24 years. Can you say the same.. can you say one year? More than one Federal office? Can you say anything that has any merit or that you didn't just read 5 minutes ago on Reddit? Prolly not. Carry on.
    Can you say...

"In elections last night Democrats are now down to 48 senators, a minority. Democrats are down to 192 members of Congress. Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats. That's some legacy.Nov 9, 2016
    Post edited by Free on
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

... because your party is doing SOOOO well. LMFAO
    In my voting life, Democrats have held the Oval Office 16 out 24 years. Can you say the same.. can you say one year? More than one Federal office? Can you say anything that has any merit or that you didn't just read 5 minutes ago on Reddit? Prolly not. Carry on.
    Can you say...

"In elections last night Democrats are now down to 48 senators, a minority. Democrats are down to 192 members of Congress. Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats. That's some legacy.Nov 9, 2016
    and yet the numbers are greater than any seats held by your imaginary party.
    :rofl:

Continue to deflect from "real news" aka facts.
    From Elizabeth Warren:

"Our country is in crisis – but that crisis didn’t begin with the election of Donald Trump.

We were already in a crisis because for years and years and years, Washington has worked just great for the rich and the powerful, but far too often, it hasn’t worked for anyone else. The excuses end now.

This morning I spoke to members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and told them: It’s time for Democrats to grow a backbone and to get out there and fight. Watch my speech and share it
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited February 2017
    Free said:

From Elizabeth Warren:

"Our country is in crisis – but that crisis didn’t begin with the election of Donald Trump.

We were already in a crisis because for years and years and years, Washington has worked just great for the rich and the powerful, but far too often, it hasn’t worked for anyone else. The excuses end now.

This morning I spoke to members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and told them: It’s time for Democrats to grow a backbone and to get out there and fight. Watch my speech and share it

These are Liz's words?? She plagiarized Trump inauguration speech!
    JC29856 said:

Free said:

From Elizabeth Warren:

These are Liz's words?? She plagiarized Trump inauguration speech!
    :lol:
    Free said:
    I'll watch it tomorrow, she said crisis 11 times in the first 45 seconds, I bailed
    It gets better
    Im thinking there are exactly 65,844, 954 voters that should take care of this crisis!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/theres-so-much-legal-weed-that-it-might-now-be-too-cheap
    "...Let me suggest to you, and some will disagree with me, that’s OK too. Let me suggest to you that what happened on November 8th, Trump’s victory, was not a victory for Trump or his ideology. It was a gross political failure of the Democratic Party

This won Sanders a partial standing ovation.
    “Some people may disagree with me, but if you think that everybody who voted for Donald Trump is a racist or a sexist or a homophobe, you would be dead wrong,” Sanders said. Instead, he said, what happened is that “hardworking decent people” had a lot of questions about their lives, about long hours and poor wages and their declining standard of living and school debt and Wall Street destroying the economy.
    “So Trump comes along, and Trump is, among many other qualities, a pathological liar. So bad that he practically has no ideology at all. Tomorrow he may come out for a single health care payer program, I don’t know. He doesn’t believe in anything. It’s just what sounds right at the moment,” Sanders said.
    But what Trump did do, “if you listen carefully to what he said, he said, ‘I, Donald Trump, I’m going to take on the establishment,’” Sanders said.
    He won because “there are people in this country who are hurting, and they are hurting terribly,” Sanders said. “And for years they looked to the Democratic Party, which at one time was the party of working people. And they looked and they looked and they looked and they got nothing in return, and out of desperation they turned to Mr. Trump.”
    “All over this country there are people who are hurting, and our job is to communicate and talk to and stand up and fight with those people for a government that listens to them,” he said."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/at-gathering-on-politics-of-love-sanders-warns-trump-could-start-a-war-201026254.html
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    ^^^^ And I would say to Mr. Sanders, that all sounds good, and I agree with the analysis of the working poor needing a party to speak for them again . . . BUT,

Unfortunately, the high favorability ratings toward Mr. Trump among Trump voters after his first two weeks in office suggest they approve of his 100 day fascist agenda . . . They approve of his deregulation agenda . . . They approve of his anti-privacy agenda . . .
    They approve of his reckless foreign policy agenda . . .

He's like an abusive parent who says to his child while beating them, "this is for your own good, " and then the abused children internalize the abuse and accept the beating.

I didn't see the working class at my precinct voting for Trump. But then again, the working class in my precinct is brown. There are two working classes in America -- the white ones and the brown ones. The white ones voted for Trump.

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    wrong thread
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    only sanders, turner or gabbard could beat trump ... but their biggest fight will be with the establishment ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/only-bernie-sanders-nina-turner-and-tulsi-gabbard_us_589d883ae4b080bf74f03ae9
    edited February 2017
    polaris_x said:

only sanders, turner or gabbard could beat trump ... but their biggest fight will be with the establishment ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/only-bernie-sanders-nina-turner-and-tulsi-gabbard_us_589d883ae4b080bf74f03ae9

Yes of course. Run Nina Turner who managed to lose the Sec'y of state race in Ohio by a slim 25 points. Good idea H.A. Goodman. He is quite the political strategist. The only race she ever won was run unopposed.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Yes of course. Run Nina Turner who managed to lose the Sec'y of state race in Ohio by a slim 25 points. Good idea H.A. Goodman. He is quite the political strategist. The only race she ever won was run unopposed.
    Well ... running unopposed could be related to her strength as a candidate ... in any case - the point of the article was that in order for the dems to beat trump in 4 years - they will have to move to the left ... any "moderate" ticket will lose ...
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Well ... running unopposed could be related to her strength as a candidate ... in any case - the point of the article was that in order for the dems to beat trump in 4 years - they will have to move to the left ... any "moderate" ticket will lose ...
    I guess you could say strength. She's from east Cleveland. If you know Cleveland (it's where I grew up) you'll know the east side is very Afircan-American and Democratic. So a Republican has no chance of winning in that district. But it is certainly not representative of the rest of the state (or our country).
    But I don't think it's a wise political strategy to make the center right and center choose between which policies they are more scared about.

I understand the point of the article. I just think HA Goodman is a hack and have thought that since he started writing for the PD. No one is happier than him that Trump is in the White House. Bernie won't run because he's too old (I think...). But he could win. These are two do not have the gravitas for the job at this point. Not in the least.
    mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

I guess you could say strength. She's from east Cleveland. If you know Cleveland (it's where I grew up) you'll know the east side is very Afircan-American and Democratic. So a Republican has no chance of winning in that district. But it is certainly not representative of the rest of the state (or our country).
    But I don't think it's a wise political strategy to make the center right and center choose between which policies they are more scared about.

I understand the point of the article. I just think HA Goodman is a hack and have thought that since he started writing for the PD. No one is happier than him that Trump is in the White House. Bernie won't run because he's too old (I think...). But he could win. These are two do not have the gravitas for the job at this point. Not in the least.
    i think the notion of having the gravitas for the job has been essentially blown out of the water with the election of Trump and to a lesser degree George W Bush ... i do think that they would never get very far based on the current make up of the democratic party ... tulsi gabbard's trip to syria and her subsequent call to not arm terrorists is not something the rest of the party is that interested in taking up ...
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

i think the notion of having the gravitas for the job has been essentially blown out of the water with the election of Trump and to a lesser degree George W Bush ... i do think that they would never get very far based on the current make up of the democratic party ... tulsi gabbard's trip to syria and her subsequent call to not arm terrorists is not something the rest of the party is that interested in taking up ...
    I think the DNC has two faces right now: the populist humanitarian movement as was represented by Sanders, and the status quo corporate-political agenda as was represented by Clinton. I honestly don't know that the DNC can succeed again until they lose one of these faces - otherwise, part of their essence will always alienate a significant segment of their potential voters, who are coming to a decision based on having ideals aligned with either (but not both) Sanders or Clinton.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited February 2017
    benjs said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

I think the DNC has two faces right now: the populist humanitarian movement as was represented by Sanders, and the status quo corporate-political agenda as was represented by Clinton. I honestly don't know that the DNC can succeed again until they lose one of these faces - otherwise, part of their essence will always alienate a significant segment of their potential voters, who are coming to a decision based on having ideals aligned with either (but not both) Sanders or Clinton.
    The problem is that you have a lot people on the coasts (I mean... a lot) that have good corporate jobs but are inclined to vote Democratic because of the social issues in particular. Remember that over half of the jobs in the US are corporate jobs. And they believe in universal health, progressive income tax, and lots of other economically moderate positions. But if Democrats start advocating for 40% tax rate for people who make more than 150k (which is not rich in Chicago, NY, LA, SF, DC), then they will go poof... gone. And so will the Dems chances in general elections.

So maybe you're right, but that's a game of chicken right there.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:
    I don't think the problem is that the party has moved to the left; I think it's that when you have some party members speaking as ideologues and others showing further commitment to the neoliberal regime, both hit a brick wall, as either segment is seen as disingenuous while the others exist, and alienates those with allegiance to the DNC for their commitment towards one of either idealism, or the corporate-political alliance.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Came across this, haven't had a chance to read it yet.

While Trump Was Dominating In Deep-Red Oklahoma, This Democrat Won A Landslide
    Now Joe Maxwell is urging his party not to give up on rural America.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democratic-party-future-rural_us_58b7089ee4b019d36d0fecb4?

Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Kat said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democratic-party-future-rural_us_58b7089ee4b019d36d0fecb4?

That was actually a great article! I've said it time and time again, the democrat's that ignore or give the finger to rural America are bound for failure. The "fuck those rednecks" mentality that I have seen from a lot of liberals (including a few here) is not going to help you win their vote...but will instead just create rallied opposition.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:

Kat said:

That was actually a great article! I've said it time and time again, the democrat's that ignore or give the finger to rural America are bound for failure. The "fuck those rednecks" mentality that I have seen from a lot of liberals (including a few here) is not going to help you win their vote...but will instead just create rallied opposition.
    but how do democrats/progressives win over the people who are always going to be on the losing end of progress? it's a losing battle. it's why the republican battle cry is always "we're going to bring back jobs to (insert outdated industry here) to middle america!" to get those votes, and no matter how many times they lie about it, these people keep believing it will eventually happen, because they are either unwilling or unable to move on to something current. what the dem party needs to do is figure out how to ignite the voting fire into the 60% of non-voters.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:

Kat said:

Another take, though greatly embellished for a humorous take.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

EV
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I want to see more of this. The Dem party was always about jobs and it's the most important issue imho. They should all be jumping on this.

Bernie Sanders Has A Plan To Win Back Trump Voters
    The Vermont senator says the Democratic Party has shown “enormous neglect” resulting in “an ultimate failure.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-donald-trump-voters_us_58c1ac90e4b054a0ea68fa17?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Falling down,...not staying down
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

Kat said:

I live deep in the ruralz, and I say fuck those rednecks all the time lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?