Should Betsy DeVos be confirmed as Secretary of Education?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2017
    No
    . oops
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    No
    Chuck Schumer: Trump's Education Pick Would 'Single-Handedly Decimate' Public Schools

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58895b63e4b0024605fdc1ee/amp?client=safari
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    She's gonna get the nod you watch at the end of the day all of them will be appointed !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    No
    Kim Jong-Un would be confirmed by this GOP Congress of cowards
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Yes
    You know, I feel really fucked up for saying this, but I hope every one of these fucking clowns gets approved. Maybe after 4 years of a circus we'll all wake up enough to realize we can't ever let anything like this happen again, maybe those millions of people that voted for Obama but sat on their asses this year will swallow their pride and vote for the lesser (much lesser) of two evils.

Plus it's not like we're magically going to get Bernie Sanders just becuase she gets denied, it will just be some other fucking clown. We made this bed, we're going to have to sleep in it eventually.

Also, I say all this as someone that will be graduating with a degree in Early Childhood Education sometime in the next four years.
    No
    RiotZact said:

You know, I feel really fucked up for saying this, but I hope every one of these fucking clowns gets approved. Maybe after 4 years of a circus we'll all wake up enough to realize we can't ever let anything like this happen again, maybe those millions of people that voted for Obama but sat on their asses this year will swallow their pride and vote for the lesser (much lesser) of two evils.

Plus it's not like we're magically going to get Bernie Sanders just becuase she gets denied, it will just be some other fucking clown. We made this bed, we're going to have to sleep in it eventually.

Also, I say all this as someone that will be graduating with a degree in Early Childhood Education sometime in the next four years.

denying Trump his cabinet picks embarrasses him and weakens him further. thats the objective. she's also a piece of garbage.
    Yes
    vaggar99 said:

RiotZact said:

denying Trump his cabinet picks embarrasses him and weakens him further. thats the objective. she's also a piece of garbage.
    Does it really though? Or does it just piss him off and make him pick someone even worse (if that's possible)? I will admit I'm not an expert on this process, but my assumption is that he just picks someone else if she gets denied right?
    No
    RiotZact said:

vaggar99 said:

RiotZact said:

Does it really though? Or does it just piss him off and make him pick someone even worse (if that's possible)? I will admit I'm not an expert on this process, but my assumption is that he just picks someone else if she gets denied right?
    still have to confirm the next one, right?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    No
    RiotZact said:

I agree with what you are saying but no only to secretary of education. Let s not fuck with kids. We need someone good in there; this bitch needs to be denied.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited January 2017
    Yes
    vaggar99 said:

RiotZact said:

vaggar99 said:

RiotZact said:

still have to confirm the next one, right?
    Yes, but at some point something has to give, and it's mostly republicans voting on it, so I can't really see them giving him too hard of a time for very long.
    mcgruff10 said:

RiotZact said:

I agree with what you are saying but no only to secretary of education. Let s not fuck with kids. We need someone good in there; this bitch needs to be denied.
    I get what you're saying, that's why I said I feel fucked up saying it. But think about this, let's say she gets denied and Trump picks a more traditional republican type person for the job (which I doubt he would do anyway), someone that a Jeb Bush or Mitt Romney might choose. Sure, they won't be nearly as bad as DeVos, but they'll still suck, the difference is that traditional republican and moderate voters will be ok with it, whereas right now we have people that have voted republican for their whole lives pissed off at the choice. Those are people that could be converted if they get pissed off enough over the next 4 years, but if we end up with the more traditional choice those same people might be more than happy to vote for him again in 4 years. I'd rather have 4 years of 100% shitty than 8+ years of 80% shitty.

I honestly see Donald Trump's presidency as an opportunity to destroy the current status quo of the Republican Party. The more chaos that ensues, the more likely we are to have a Bernie v. Hilary election in 20 years instead of another Trump v. Hilary, if that makes sense (it probably doesn't).
    Post edited by RiotZact on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    No
    RiotZact said:

vaggar99 said:

RiotZact said:

I get what you're saying. Trump has an extreme penchant for vengeance. He wants nothing more than to destroy those who don't give him his way. I'm not sure letting him have his way is the right answer though. Trump as a single person doesn't really scare me, it's the masses of followers he has who just fall in line with everything he says and does. If we let four years of that line of thinking represent the populous of the United States, I'm not sure I want to see what shape this country is in come that time.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    No
    Definitely not.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No
    Betsy DeVos appears to have plagiarized quote from Obama administration official
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/betsy-devos-plagiarism-obama-official/
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited January 2017
    No
    I'd like to meet that 12th deciding yay voter who takes a certain Pink Floyd song way too seriously and beat the crap out of them.
    No
    95% don't want her. but 50% still think Trump shouldn't resign. i'm poll offended.
    No
    she's in.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    No
    vaggar99 said:

she's in.

unfuckingreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    No
    I think Price is the only one even somewhat in question with his ethics history overhead. Buuuut, I'm sure he will get confirmed as well.

DeVos should have been a no doubter though. Embarrassing.
    No
    She's not in yet.

"Despite clearing a key procedural hurdle (today), DeVos’ eventual confirmation by the full Senate remained an open question as members of her own party told CNN wouldn’t commit to voting for her."

https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com/2017/01/31/betsy-devos-trumps-education-secretary-pick-clears-senate-committee-in-nomination-hurdle/amp/?client=safari
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    No
    Free said:

She's not in yet.

"Despite clearing a key procedural hurdle (today), DeVos’ eventual confirmation by the full Senate remained an open question as members of her own party told CNN wouldn’t commit to voting for her."

https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com/2017/01/31/betsy-devos-trumps-education-secretary-pick-clears-senate-committee-in-nomination-hurdle/amp/?client=safari

Call and e-mail your senator, I did.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    No
    unsung said:

The better question should be why is there an unconstitutional federal dept of education? That is a state issue.

To force the states to keep their shit together....to ensure a minimum standard
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    No
    People Power Works as Two Republicans Pledge to Vote 'No' on DeVos

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/02/01/people-power-works-two-republicans-pledge-vote-no-devos
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    No
    Free said:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/02/01/people-power-works-two-republicans-pledge-vote-no-devos

Need one more
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

Free said:

Need one more
    Take her down. She will destroy the education system.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited February 2017
    No
    Here is a list of Republican state senators. Call yours (everyone who cares) today and urge them to vote No to DeVos!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_United_States_Senators
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    No
    unsung said:

The better question should be why is there an unconstitutional federal dept of education? That is a state issue.

You sound home-schooled
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

You sound home-schooled
    What's wrong with home school?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    No
    Cardin & van Hollen and both blocking her.
  • a5pj said:

Free said:

She's not in yet.

Call and e-mail your senator, I did.
    I emailed both of mine but when I tried to call their voice mail was full. Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses tried to call Senator Scott and even tweeted him. Still, both senators support her.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    No

Cardin & van Hollen and both blocking her.

Need one more republican