Without Government...

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Posting for a third time: unsung, you still haven't addressed my point that over time, all ungoverned societies have organically matured to become governed societies. How do you intend to break this consistent trend? A society of one is a perfect democracy, but a society of greater than one has been exclusively proven to become an imperfect something-ocracy over time.

Welcome back, unsung. I'd still love an answer to the above.
    Would still appreciate an answer.
    Bottom line in todays environment it cannot be done. I concede that.

Not until leftists are in their own separate area.
    Still convinced the leftys are the big government folks, huh?
    historically, they are.
    I'm interested in your evidence.
    apparently I have none, and was wrong. although, when googling that question, I came across many articles that say the opposite, but none that I found that had empirical evidence.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johncgoodman/2012/09/08/which_party_is_the_party_of_big_government

With that in mind, here is something that may surprise you: Federal entitlement spending over the past 50 years has grown significantly more under Republican presidents than under Democratic presidents.

I'll come back to that below. But, first things first. The reason we have big government is because of the growth of entitlements: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, disability insurance, etc. Entitlements are nothing more than taking from Peter and giving to Paul. They are consuming an ever increasing share of federal spending and they are the principal reason for one of two nightmares in our future: (1) ever-increasing deficits for as far as the eye can see or (2) an ever-increasing tax burden.

From a purely statistical standpoint, the growth of entitlement spending over the past half-century has been distinctly greater under Republican administrations than Democratic ones. Between 1960 and 2010, the growth of entitlement spending was exponential, but in any given year, it was on the whole roughly 8% higher if the president happened to be a Republican rather than a Democrat.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Posting for a third time: unsung, you still haven't addressed my point that over time, all ungoverned societies have organically matured to become governed societies. How do you intend to break this consistent trend? A society of one is a perfect democracy, but a society of greater than one has been exclusively proven to become an imperfect something-ocracy over time.

historically, they are.
    apparently I have none, and was wrong. although, when googling that question, I came across many articles that say the opposite, but none that I found that had empirical evidence.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johncgoodman/2012/09/08/which_party_is_the_party_of_big_government

With that in mind, here is something that may surprise you: Federal entitlement spending over the past 50 years has grown significantly more under Republican presidents than under Democratic presidents.

I'll come back to that below. But, first things first. The reason we have big government is because of the growth of entitlements: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, disability insurance, etc. Entitlements are nothing more than taking from Peter and giving to Paul. They are consuming an ever increasing share of federal spending and they are the principal reason for one of two nightmares in our future: (1) ever-increasing deficits for as far as the eye can see or (2) an ever-increasing tax burden.

From a purely statistical standpoint, the growth of entitlement spending over the past half-century has been distinctly greater under Republican administrations than Democratic ones. Between 1960 and 2010, the growth of entitlement spending was exponential, but in any given year, it was on the whole roughly 8% higher if the president happened to be a Republican rather than a Democrat.
    Thanks for being open and looking. I have only done minimal research on this but from what I understand the "left" equals larger government is largely a myth.
    dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

Thanks for being open and looking. I have only done minimal research on this but from what I understand the "left" equals larger government is largely a myth.
    I also noticed it got larger under Obama, which is what might be on unsung's mind.

Typically, in Canada, one of the biggest things you hear conservatives bitching about is the massive governments of the Democrats, so I assumed (which I shouldn't have) it was also true in the US.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

I also noticed it got larger under Obama, which is what might be on unsung's mind.

Typically, in Canada, one of the biggest things you hear conservatives bitching about is the massive governments of the Democrats, so I assumed (which I shouldn't have) it was also true in the US.
    Conservatives play that record down here, but it doesn't hold up to reality.
  • dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

And conversely, which party spends more lavishly on our military? Isn't that part of "big government?"
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

So you can have a safe space?
    No, clearly negotiations are not possible. Best to remove them to a different locale.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

National debt went from $9T to over $20T.

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

And conversely, which party spends more lavishly on our military? Isn't that part of "big government?"
    Unfortunately true. Some people have a hard time understanding that National Defense should not include destroying and then rebuilding other countries.
    unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

Gotta pay the bills the republicans left behind.

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    unsung said:

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    Pills and war aren't cheap.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

unsung said:

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    It will keep on rising Bafoon will spend plenty !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Still con

unsung said:

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    Preaching to the choir, I am against these wars and have been.

Just like I was against Obama interfering with Libya and creating the humanitarian crisis in Syria. We have no business there, it isn't defending this country.

Limiting visas from hotbeds is defending this country.

unsung said:

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    It will keep on rising Bafoon will spend plenty !
    Were you asleep from 2009 to 2017?
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited January 2017
    If you google Timeline Great Recession, it's very educational and a good reminder, just in case someone forgets. So glad we had a President that got us out of that.
    I pay my taxes for Government services. I don't care about the size so much as it being a better Government...that's what I think we need to work on.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Kat said:

If you google Timeline Great Recession, it's very educational and a good reminder, just in case someone forgets. So glad we had a President that got us out of that.
    I pay my taxes for Government services. I don't care about the size so much as it being a better Government...that's what I think we need to work on.

As is "The Big Short" if you have not already seen it.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Still con

unsung said:

unsung said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

unsung said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

historically, they are.

LOL
    Preaching to the choir, I am against these wars and have been.

Just like I was against Obama interfering with Libya and creating the humanitarian crisis in Syria. We have no business there, it isn't defending this country.

Limiting visas from hotbeds is defending this country.
    You referenced Obama's deficit. Whose wars were the most expensive, his or baby Bush's?
    Does it matter?

We haven't had a war for defense in quite some time.
    Kat said:

Another bubble doesn't solve a recession.
    unsung said:

Does it matter?

you only respond to questions that fit your narrative.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

unsung said:

Does it matter?

you only respond to questions that fit your narrative.
    It is irrelevant. You don't base a war being allowable based on the expenses. If you want to play your game Bush took the debt from $5T to $9T. Obama then went from $9T to over $20T.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    ........we could shoot people, especially the un-white
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.

edited March 2017
    As a daily cyclist, I know these issues well. But instead of playing passive victim, I've found cities and dept of transportation be respknsive to requests to not put signage in the bike lane. It's more of a reflection of our car oriented culture than government failings.
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
    Without government...

Who would save us from skin creme made by Amish people...

http://www.icontact-archive.com/NGPZGNZ0MsM61WcVJ3rpFviZsxzbA9ul?w=4
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Someone's got really soft skin. Or is it thin?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Without government...

Who would tax cancer survivors on the donations that they receive?

http://www.ketv.com/article/irs-cancer-survivor-owes-19-000-in-taxes-from-donations/7652336

Government is parasitic. Taxation is theft.
    Victim mentality like yours got us trump.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:
    Oh, I don't know..... hackers? Google? Anonymous?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf