Text of Muslim Ban Executive Order in a few posts

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    tbergs said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

Funny...I don't see the word Muslim anywhere in the text, nor do I see any country listed other than Syria.

If that is a Muslim ban, Trump excluded countries that comprise about 90% of worldwide Muslims.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_world

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

Its right here:

(c) To temporarily reduce investigative burdens on relevant agencies during the review period described in subsection (a) of this section, to ensure the proper review and maximum utilization of available resources for the screening of foreign nationals, and to ensure that adequate standards are established to prevent infiltration by foreign terrorists or criminals, pursuant to section 212(f) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f)
    Kind of like how they left "Jews" out of the post paying respect to the "innocents" of the Holocaust. In Trump's world, if you don't utter the phrases then you have plausible deniability that you supported a certain stance with your base supporters while making those who read between the line sound like they are the one's being irrational and insensitive.
    I think the outrage to the tweet is a stretch. I think when you bring up the Holocaust it implies the victims were the Jews. Trump wants to move the embassy to Jerusalem so I don't think the administration is anti-Israel.
    It was an intentional omission. Now as to why, that's left up to the individual.
    Yeah, I think this particular issue (Holocaust tweet) is a phony media/left attack job only. Certainly, the immigrant ban is something that you can strongly disagree with.
    I'm unsure about the tweet wording controversy. They have admitted it was left out intentionally, but I question if it was done to be more inclusive as they say, since they have taken a divisive approach on every other topic. The problem with this administration is that they lie so much it's hard to know what's really going on.
    probably because Bannon was in the room when he wrote it. trump was afraid of the big bad nazi.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Wait a minute so the ban it only applies to radical Islamic terrorist not Muslims yeah ok lol
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:
    I can see Trump wandering around stunned "What, how is this possible? I thought won the election, how can this happen?"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    dignin said:

my2hands said:
    I can see Trump wandering around stunned "What, how is this possible? I thought won the election, how can this happen?"
    "Since when are women Generals? Is she two star or three star?"
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    my2hands said:
    Yay!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    She will likely be fired by 9am after a 20+ year career dedicated to serving the American public at the Department of Justice

Meanwhile over those same 20 years the rich asshole that's going to fire her didn't contribute a nickel to this country
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I also think he'll fire her...he's dying to say you're fired to her....
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    my2hands said:

She will likely be fired by 9am after a 20+ year career dedicated to serving the American public at the Department of Justice

Meanwhile over those same 20 years the rich asshole that's going to fire her didn't contribute a nickel to this country

Fuckin eh!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    A short lived victory, but worth it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    She is the only one authorized to sign foreign surveillance warrants. She will be replaced when the next AG comes in, which may be later this week, but maybe not immediately fired.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Heard she has been fired.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    dignin said:

Heard she has been fired.

Trump fires defiant acting attorney general
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-immigration-executive-order-234401
    edited January 2017
    Yep, just heard.

I hope someone creates a cool poster of her for the recent marches.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    edited January 2017
    Sally Yates is on the right side of history. That too some serious guts to take that stand.

We're going to need a lot more Sally Yates out there
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:

Sally Yates is on the right side of history. That too some serious guts to take that stand.

Watched an interview on Anderson Cooper with a "havard" law professor (spellcheck, CNN?), who opposed the ban, but actually called what Yates did the easy way out. Knowing full well she was being replaced anyway, she went out defiant, looking like a hero, when in reality, she gave up the fight. He thinks she could have done more, stayed in the fight.

Interesting take.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:

Watched an interview on Anderson Cooper with a "havard" law professor (spellcheck, CNN?), who opposed the ban, but actually called what Yates did the easy way out. Knowing full well she was being replaced anyway, she went out defiant, looking like a hero, when in reality, she gave up the fight. He thinks she could have done more, stayed in the fight.

Interesting take.

Alan Dershowitz. That's almost what he said, you got the stayed in the fight part wrong. He thinks she made a mistake by not criticizing the muslim ban in a more nuanced way, a more legal way....and I don't necessarily disagree. But this forces him to fire her, which is it's own kind of message. She was out in a few days anyways, she was not going to be able to stay in the fight.

By the way, Dershowitz is a major asshole. For all kinds of reasons.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

Funny...I don't see the word Muslim anywhere in the text, nor do I see any country listed other than Syria.

If that is a Muslim ban, Trump excluded countries that comprise about 90% of worldwide Muslims.

Its right here:

(c) To temporarily reduce investigative burdens on relevant agencies during the review period described in subsection (a) of this section, to ensure the proper review and maximum utilization of available resources for the screening of foreign nationals, and to ensure that adequate standards are established to prevent infiltration by foreign terrorists or criminals, pursuant to section 212(f) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f)
    Kind of like how they left "Jews" out of the post paying respect to the "innocents" of the Holocaust. In Trump's world, if you don't utter the phrases then you have plausible deniability that you supported a certain stance with your base supporters while making those who read between the line sound like they are the one's being irrational and insensitive.
    I think the outrage to the tweet is a stretch. I think when you bring up the Holocaust it implies the victims were the Jews. Trump wants to move the embassy to Jerusalem so I don't think the administration is anti-Israel.
    It was an intentional omission. Now as to why, that's left up to the individual.
    Yeah, I think this particular issue (Holocaust tweet) is a phony media/left attack job only. Certainly, the immigrant ban is something that you can strongly disagree with.
    I'm unsure about the tweet wording controversy. They have admitted it was left out intentionally, but I question if it was done to be more inclusive as they say, since they have taken a divisive approach on every other topic. The problem with this administration is that they lie so much it's hard to know what's really going on.
    probably because Bannon was in the room when he wrote it. trump was afraid of the big bad nazi.
    Actually Obama picked the countries.

And this isn't a Muslim ban, otherwise the country with the largest Muslim population (Indonesia) would be included.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    What's the number of travelers that were actually detained at airports? WH says 109.
    (1 is too many but I'm trying to get a solid number of those detained at US airports)
    If 1 is to many what does it matter if it was 300 , I'm sure your life & mine haven't been affected by this ban you & I can fly in&out of America as much as we want !
    unsung said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

Its right here:

And this isn't a Muslim ban, otherwise the country with the largest Muslim population (Indonesia) would be included.

The folks that were detained what were they Orthodox Jews lol
    How many terrorist attacks have happened in this country since 9/11 where the perpetrators were from any of the countries on the list ? Anybody have those numbers ?
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Terrorist #1 is Wayne LaPierre

How many terrorist attacks have happened in this country since 9/11 where the perpetrators were from any of the countries on the list ? Anybody have those numbers ?

[http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/jan/29/jerrold-nadler/have-there-been-terrorist-attacks-post-911-countri/]
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., said in a CNN interview from New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport that it was important to protect the United States from people who want to harm the country. But he argued that refugees are heavily vetted by the U.S. government and that recent attacks have not been from nationals of the countries singled out by Trump.

"The various people who have, in fact, committed terrorist acts in this country, from 9/11 on, none of them came from any of the seven countries that are the subject of the president's executive order," Nadler said in a CNN interview Jan. 28. "If you really want to protect this country, why are Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey left out of the order? Most of the 9/11 conspirators came from Saudi Arabia."
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

Its right here:

I have no idea, but they were from the countries that Obama selected. This isn't about religion, if it were Indonesia would be banned.

unsung said:

unsung said:

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

JC29856 said:

Its right here:

I have no idea, but they were from the countries that Obama selected. This isn't about religion, if it were Indonesia would be banned.

Yeah ok I guess in your retreat you don't get any info on who was detained like I asked were they Orthodox Jews or folks of Muslim faith ? Go ahead keep on playing I don't know who it was game ! But it was Obama who chose those nations that is true no doubt I just don't recall how many people were detained at airports on the 1st day of implementation !
    Heather Richardson, Professor of History, Boston College wrote in a Twitter thread that this Executive Order is a "shock event." That it causes chaos to ultimately get what Trump wants which is Sessions elected. She has a long Twitter thread for this, but this following tweet is part of it.

https://twitter.com/womanistpsych
    Jefferson Sessions being received as the acceptable one, as head of DOJ, to restore order to Bannon's generated chaos is one of the setups.

Do you think this is a shock event, and that Sessions as AG could be the goal?

I'm not completely convinced that this is a "shock event." It looks like Trump is doing what he said he would do. I think the Executive Order for the wall could be considered a shock event as well, but putting a wall up was part of his presidential campaign.
  • Ms. Haiku said:

Heather Richardson, Professor of History, Boston College wrote in a Twitter thread that this Executive Order is a "shock event." That it causes chaos to ultimately get what Trump wants which is Sessions elected. She has a long Twitter thread for this, but this following tweet is part of it.

Jefferson Sessions being received as the acceptable one, as head of DOJ, to restore order to Bannon's generated chaos is one of the setups.

I'm not completely convinced that this is a "shock event." It looks like Trump is doing what he said he would do. I think the Executive Order for the wall could be considered a shock event as well, but putting a wall up was part of his presidential campaign.

So was banning Muslims.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Ms. Haiku said:

So was banning Muslims.
    Right, so are both Executive Orders shock events or manifestation of campaign promises.
  • Ms. Haiku said:

Ms. Haiku said:

So was banning Muslims.
    Right, so are both Executive Orders shock events or manifestation of campaign promises.
    Campaign promises kept without thinking through the consequences and not caring. An EO does not a wall make.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©