Bell "Let's Talk" Day...

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Not annoying at all. Thank you for keeping this highlighted.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413

Not annoying at all. Thank you for keeping this highlighted.

Thanks, lol. They're (we're?) up to over 115 million tweets, posts, texts, and so on.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    I've been very lucky in some ways. A couple years ago, I found myself in the darkest place I've ever been, and was considering taking myself out. However, there were 2 people I was able to reach out to that night and they both helped talk me down, and it was in the aftermath of that incident that I chose to get more serious about my treatment (in the months prior my psychiatrist had stopped treating me while I was in the midst of a crisis, leaving me the option of waiting on a referral for 6 months or going to the emergency room). Working first with my family doctor then a new therapist, I'm now on new medications that seem to be working so far (I'd been extremely hesitant of going back on medications after some bad experiences with side effects, ultimately glad I took the plunge again).

In many ways 2016 was a good year for me, not least of which was getting to the 2 local (Toronto) Pearl Jam shows (thanks for trading my spare for a night 2 ticket, Geoff! And thanks to 10Club for the ticket lottery, lol), as well as miracle tickets falling into my lap for the Prophets of Rage show. This reignited in me my love of live music, leading me to make the decision to make a point of getting to at least one show a year (Lee Fields is up in February, lol). However, of even bigger consequence was my deciding to finally own who I am and not worry so much about what other people think of me or want me to be (in short, I Am Mine, lol).

All that said, I might not have made it if there hadn't been people I felt I could reach out to, and that's part of the point of Let's Talk Day, though it needs to be applied year-round.

Part of the reason I've chosen to share all this (and it's really only a small part of my story, after all) is that "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done" (it meant a lot to me to hear that live last summer, believe me).

Also, they're now showing over 123 million interactions (I've chosen to wait to give the dollar figures since that's a more incidental angle to today, the main point being support and awareness).

Thanks for reading.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

I've been very lucky in some ways. A couple years ago, I found myself in the darkest place I've ever been, and was considering taking myself out. However, there were 2 people I was able to reach out to that night and they both helped talk me down, and it was in the aftermath of that incident that I chose to get more serious about my treatment (in the months prior my psychiatrist had stopped treating me while I was in the midst of a crisis, leaving me the option of waiting on a referral for 6 months or going to the emergency room). Working first with my family doctor then a new therapist, I'm now on new medications that seem to be working so far (I'd been extremely hesitant of going back on medications after some bad experiences with side effects, ultimately glad I took the plunge again).

In many ways 2016 was a good year for me, not least of which was getting to the 2 local (Toronto) Pearl Jam shows (thanks for trading my spare for a night 2 ticket, Geoff! And thanks to 10Club for the ticket lottery, lol), as well as miracle tickets falling into my lap for the Prophets of Rage show. This reignited in me my love of live music, leading me to make the decision to make a point of getting to at least one show a year (Lee Fields is up in February, lol). However, of even bigger consequence was my deciding to finally own who I am and not worry so much about what other people think of me or want me to be (in short, I Am Mine, lol).

All that said, I might not have made it if there hadn't been people I felt I could reach out to, and that's part of the point of Let's Talk Day, though it needs to be applied year-round.

Part of the reason I've chosen to share all this (and it's really only a small part of my story, after all) is that "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done" (it meant a lot to me to hear that live last summer, believe me).

Also, they're now showing over 123 million interactions (I've chosen to wait to give the dollar figures since that's a more incidental angle to today, the main point being support and awareness).

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing Darth. Keep on keepin' on.
    dignin said:

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing Darth. Keep on keepin' on.
    Thanks, it's a long road (sometimes even a lifelong one), and we all need to know none of us walk it alone.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited January 2017
    Knowing that you're not alone is essential to treatment. The right meds and the right therapist are great, but you gotta have that foundation in your day to day life.
    I was diagnosed bipolar in 2003 or 2004 and I didn't tell anyone. I totally ignored it. Then my marriage fell apart at my own doing, went back to my therapist and she wasn't shocked that I was back. I was a ticking time bomb. So this time I went to the psych like she had suggested years earlier. My friends were on board almost immediately but it's been a long, long road getting my family on board. I think they're all there now though. I hope they are.
    2016 was a rough year. Another long stint on disability began because of (what originally seemed to be) side effects of lithium. Poor cognitive functioning, tremors, stutter. We chased the lithium factors for months as new symptoms developed. Now it appears that it's MS related. (During the testing, one portion classifies me with borderline personality disorder as well).
    So here is 2017, I just got the MS diagnosis and my mental illness decides to tank. But my friends/family/folks on here have been awesome. I've thought about ending it all as well. And I've tried a couple of times in the past. But now that I feel like everyone is with me in my mental illness, I don't feel like I'm drowning on my own.
    That's why we need a corporation like a Bell to step up in America. We only address mental illness when there's a mass shooting, in the name of distracting from our gun problem. Once some hours pass, mental illness gets forgotten about. So, good on Bell for stepping up year after year.
    Post edited by ledvedderman on
    Thanks for sharing ledvedderman, I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but glad to hear you've got support in your corner and are working to make your life better. If it helps any my sister was diagnosed with MS a few years ago, and thanks to a couple treatments she's tried it's been in remission with a couple minor relapses (I may be misremembering, but it may have been mainly when she had to stop treatments (steroids at the time, I think) when she and her husband were working on getting pregnant, now that she's got 2 sons she's started a different regime that's working for her). We do the MS Walk each year, and it's good to see the strength of that community despite the issues that some are forced to deal with.

I'm glad you've got so many in your corner, and as I said above, this community (the Pearl Jam forum) should be proud of how (we? lol) support each other, across so many issues and life events. It's certainly been inspiring to me on many levels.

Latest update, lol: 128 million

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I posted a long ramble on facebook last night about my own struggles. many likes and comments from lots of people, some I wouldn't have expected, so maybe they suffer in silence, and maybe it helped them, I don't know.

either way, darth and led, thanks for you stories. it helps.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Knowing that you're not alone is essential to treatment. The right meds and the right therapist are great, but you gotta have that foundation in your day to day life.
    I was diagnosed bipolar in 2003 or 2004 and I didn't tell anyone. I totally ignored it. Then my marriage fell apart at my own doing, went back to my therapist and she wasn't shocked that I was back. I was a ticking time bomb. So this time I went to the psych like she had suggested years earlier. My friends were on board almost immediately but it's been a long, long road getting my family on board. I think they're all there now though. I hope they are.
    2016 was a rough year. Another long stint on disability began because of (what originally seemed to be) side effects of lithium. Poor cognitive functioning, tremors, stutter. We chased the lithium factors for months as new symptoms developed. Now it appears that it's MS related. (During the testing, one portion classifies me with borderline personality disorder as well).
    So here is 2017, I just got the MS diagnosis and my mental illness decides to tank. But my friends/family/folks on here have been awesome. I've thought about ending it all as well. And I've tried a couple of times in the past. But now that I feel like everyone is with me in my mental illness, I don't feel like I'm drowning on my own.
    That's why we need a corporation like a Bell to step up in America. We only address mental illness when there's a mass shooting, in the name of distracting from our gun problem. Once some hours pass, mental illness gets forgotten about. So, goon on Bell for stepping up year after year.

Thanks for sharing ledvedderman.
    Thanks everyone for your support.

The final tally was 131,705,010 interactions, raising $6,585,250for mental health initiatives across Canada. With the amount of international support that I was seeing (the news highlighted celebrities, but this goes out to the unsung heroes), hopefully this day will help raise awareness and support throughout the world.

Thanks again, and I'll be resurrecting this thread next year.

"Take care of yourselves, and each other." - Jerry Springer (of all people, lol)

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

That's why we need a corporation like a Bell to step up in America. We only address mental illness when there's a mass shooting, in the name of distracting from our gun problem. Once some hours pass, mental illness gets forgotten about. So, good on Bell for stepping up year after year.

your journey sounds exactly like my older brothers. it took us as a family awhile to completely come around & see what was happening, but I'm glad that we're there now.

glad that you have a strong support system, man. take care.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Just a friendly bump, since tomorrow's Let's Talk Day, with an update to the website on my initial post.

Thanks to all for participating, I'll try to update how much has been raised periodically throughout the day tomorrow (although in many ways the money's a secondary concern, awareness and understanding being the main point).

Just another friendly bump, they’re already over 40 million interactions (I just woke up and can’t do math yet to give a dollar figure, lol).

They’re now over 83 million interactions, which has raised over $4 million thus far.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I’m glad you’re bumping this. 

I’m not on any of the platforms that support this, and don’t have bell as my provider. I may need to look into donating online. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    They’re (we’re?) over 121 million interactions now, over $6 million.

Thanks again to those who have participated, and also to those who help us get through our days with your compassion and understanding.

One last friendly bump, lol. Over 133 million interactions, raising over $6.6 million for mental health initiatives, thanks again everyone!

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Nicely done, Darth!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Final tally is over 133 million interactions, raising $6,919,199.75. The final amount raised may be higher, since some celebrities were going to do some degree of matching funds raised (hockey player Luc Robitaille is one I know of).

Thanks again everyone for participating in whatever way you’re able! I’ll resurrect this thread again next year, lol.

Yet again it’s Let’s Talk day, just bumping the thread right now, I’ll update the OP with the proper link and info shortly when I’m not posting on my phone, lol.

As always, thanks to all who participate!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Here is the facebook page for it:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That's a great thing bell does...raising lots of money and awareness.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Agreed, when I looked earlier they were counting over 50 million “interactions”.

Also, thanks PJ Soul for posting the link.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Agreed, when I looked earlier they were counting over 50 million “interactions”.

Also, thanks PJ Soul for posting the link.
    It keeps growing every year...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    They're now over 82 million interactions, for those interested this link shows the "live" tally.

https://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    I don't want to piss on a parade or anything, and still think any money towards this cause is good, and I encourage all to click and share! .... But for full disclosure and so everyone is well informed about big bad Bell, I feel obligated to post these things about Bell (of course the money they raise should still be taken... it's just that Bell shouldn't be let off the hook. I've literally never heard anything good about Bell besides this Let's Talk Day thing, so, yeah.... Just keeping it in perspective. Sorry).

Grand Falls radio host says Bell Media station fired her for mental health issues

Bell's 'Let's Talk' campaign rings hollow for employees suffering panic attacks, vomiting and anxiety

And here is a quote stolen from the Ripcord:

"Bell Canada:
    - creates media conglomerate which restricts our access to information and cuts voices of dissent
    - lobbies for Canada to restrict VPNs which give us all the ability to post and research without reprisal
    - wants to collect more of your personal data so they can sell it to the highest bidder
    - wants to be thought of as a caring corporate citizen"

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't want to piss on a parade or anything, and still think any money towards this cause is good, and I encourage all to click and share! .... But for full disclosure and so everyone is well informed about big bad Bell, I feel obligated to post these things about Bell (of course the money they raise should still be taken... it's just that Bell shouldn't be let off the hook. I've literally never heard anything good about Bell besides this Let's Talk Day thing, so, yeah.... Just keeping it in perspective. Sorry).

Grand Falls radio host says Bell Media station fired her for mental health issues

Bell's 'Let's Talk' campaign rings hollow for employees suffering panic attacks, vomiting and anxiety

And here is a quote stolen from the Ripcord:

"Bell Canada:
    - creates media conglomerate which restricts our access to information and cuts voices of dissent
    - lobbies for Canada to restrict VPNs which give us all the ability to post and research without reprisal
    - wants to collect more of your personal data so they can sell it to the highest bidder
    - wants to be thought of as a caring corporate citizen"

Nothing wrong with pointing these things out, I fully acknowledge they’re partly doing this for the publicity (they did include the company name in the event, after all). I was essentially fired for mental health issues, but fortunately things are changing.

A couple minutes ago they were over 110 million interactions (at 5 cents per).

They’re now over 140 million interactions today, and on Facebook they posted that over 10 years they’ve surpassed 1 billion interactions. My math makes that 50 million dollars raised, as PJ Soul said, the organizations need to take the money and run, lol.

Final tally was over 145 million interactions, raising over $7.2 million.

Thanks again to everyone that participated!