Options

Recommendations for Stand Alone CD Recorders

I have a pretty large collection of live recordings (soundboard etc.) on high bias tape from bands like Zeppelin, Clapton, Rolling Stones, R.E.M., Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. that I'd like to convert to CD as a back up in case anything ever happens to the tapes. I'm looking at getting a stand alone recorder to get it to CD and then to rip it onto my PC later if I choose. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ones I've heard mentioned elsewhere are the Sony CD-R W33 and W66 models. But wanted to see what you all thought.

My absolute top end would probably be $400 for an older professional grade model. But I'd be willing to buy new if there are high quality ones out there.

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I'd actually go the opposite route. Get a cheaper 2-channel recording interface and record onto the computer, then transfer to CD. I used to do this all the time with various sources. One of my favorites: I recorded the audio of the Single Video Theory DVD onto my PC, chopped it up into tracks, and then put it on an audio CD. I used to listen to that all the time. I've done the same thing with concert DVDs that weren't released on CD, so I could have a CD of the live show.

Something like this would totally do the job: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-black-audiobox-2x2-usb-recording-system
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.