New York Giants Official Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Eli Manning has had a very perplexing career to me. It's weirdly fascinating. He's a two time Super Bowl winner and, I guess, hall of famer. But as a fan of one of the Giants' rivals, I've never feared him like I do so many other qb's. I look forward to the Eagles playing him.

And his playoff history is even weirder. He's only won one home playoff game, has only made the playoffs 6 times out of 13 seasons, and has only won playoff games in two seasons....but both ended with them winning the Super Bowl. Two amazing runs in 07 and 11 and really nothing else.

How do you guys view him up there? Obviously you wouldn't trade the two SB's for anything....but 11 of his 13 years there have not even resulted in a playoff win. That's just weird.

What's your point? He's inconsistent? No shit.

200 straight games started. Half a dozen playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowls (with a few passes that only a few QBs can make) and a lot of picks sprinkled throughout.

I'm glad you look forward to playing him. I'll take the Giants past 13 years over the Eagles any day.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    igotid88 said:

Eli Manning has had a very perplexing career to me. It's weirdly fascinating. He's a two time Super Bowl winner and, I guess, hall of famer. But as a fan of one of the Giants' rivals, I've never feared him like I do so many other qb's. I look forward to the Eagles playing him.

And his playoff history is even weirder. He's only won one home playoff game, has only made the playoffs 6 times out of 13 seasons, and has only won playoff games in two seasons....but both ended with them winning the Super Bowl. Two amazing runs in 07 and 11 and really nothing else.

How do you guys view him up there? Obviously you wouldn't trade the two SB's for anything....but 11 of his 13 years there have not even resulted in a playoff win. That's just weird.

Obviously you know how I feel. But him not making the playoffs is not all on him. Put him on those Patriots teams the last 12 years he had 80-90 more wins
    I guess that's not what I mean. Like not just him but his time there. The overall tenure of a 2 time Super Bowl winner is defined by 2 amazing runs that started in the wildcard round....but another 11 years of zero playoff wins all together. It's a disjointed career
    chinese-happy.jpg

Yes, his career is so odd. But he stopped the Pat's perfect season and then played well again in the rematch. He has won me over forever.
    That just makes his career that much stranger to me.
    chinese-happy.jpg

200 straight games started. Half a dozen playoff appearances, 2 Super Bowls (with a few passes that only a few QBs can make) and a lot of picks sprinkled throughout.

I'm glad you look forward to playing him. I'll take the Giants past 13 years over the Eagles any day.
    I knew you'd take this the wrong way. I'm not looking at as an angry fan of a rival team jealous of a couple Super Bowls. I just genuinely find his career odd. It is weird that a guy who can engineer two runs from the wild card round to a championship has had such an overall inconsisten career. You wouldn't think that would be a defining characteristic of a 2 time SB winner...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    You still have to have a good team around you. And a disciplined team. You're only as good as your protection up front, your receivers, your running game, your defense, and special teams. Is he perfect? No. Brees hasn't made the playoffs the last 3 years. But people perceive him positively. If Vinatieri doesn't make the field goals. And the Pats lose those Super Bowl. And then Matt Cassell still takes the Patriots to 11-5 when Brady goes down. The Patriots are probably thinking they don't need Brady. Then Brady gets traded to the Browns and we never hear from him again.
    I miss igotid88
    edited January 2017

I knew you'd take this the wrong way. I'm not looking at as an angry fan of a rival team jealous of a couple Super Bowls. I just genuinely find his career odd. It is weird that a guy who can engineer two runs from the wild card round to a championship has had such an overall inconsisten career. You wouldn't think that would be a defining characteristic of a 2 time SB winner...
    Okay....it's not like this is a new revelation. Funny it comes after an 11 win season (in which he didn't have a great season) on the heels of something like 12 wins over the previous two years.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • igotid88 said:

You still have to have a good team around you. And a disciplined team. You're only as good as your protection up front, your receivers, your running game, your defense, and special teams. Is he perfect? No. Brees hasn't made the playoffs the last 3 years. But people perceive him positively. If Vinatieri doesn't make the field goals. And the Pats lose those Super Bowl. And then Matt Cassell still takes the Patriots to 11-5 when Brady goes down. The Patriots are probably thinking they don't need Brady. Then Brady gets traded to the Browns and we never hear from him again.

Yet Dan Marino is always disqualified from 'best ever' discussions because he never won a SB.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2017
    igotid88 said:

Okay how about the entire Eli era and not just him specifically? Maybe that's a better way of putting it. Two amazing SB runs from the wild card round and 11 other years without even winning a playoff game. I don't really have a point other than it just seems odd to me when you look at it as a whole. Like for a qb and a team that has won 2 super bowls in 5 years, you don't look at them, in general, as being dominant.

A good comparison for me is the mid 80's to early 90's Giants who also won 2 super bowls in roughly the same time frame but won playoff games in 3 or 4 other seasons. That era is remembered for it's sustained dominance where this one will be remembered for a couple amazing runs by a team who got hot at the right time. To me, that's an interesting dynamic.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Okay....it's not like this is a new revelation. Funny it comes after an 11 win season (in which he didn't have a great season) on the heels of something like 12 wins over the previous two years.
    For some reason I guess I didn't realize they haven't won playoff games in years they didn't win the super bowl until a day or two ago.

You gotta admit that this was a pretty weak 11 win team. I never thought the Giants were that good this year.
    chinese-happy.jpg

igotid88 said:

Okay how about the entire Eli era and not just him specifically? Maybe that's a better way of putting it. Two amazing SB runs from the wild card round and 11 other years without even winning a playoff game. I don't really have a point other than it just seems odd to me when you look at it as a whole. Like for a qb and a team that has won 2 super bowls in 5 years, you don't look at them, in general, as being dominant.

A good comparison for me is the mid 80's to early 90's Giants who also won 2 super bowls in roughly the same time frame but won playoff games in 3 or 4 other seasons. That era is remembered for it's sustained dominance where this one will be remembered for a couple amazing runs by a team who got hot at the right time. To me, that's an interesting dynamic.
    :neutral:

For some reason I guess I didn't realize they haven't won playoff games in years they didn't win the super bowl until a day or two ago.

You gotta admit that this was a pretty weak 11 win team. I never thought the Giants were that good this year.
    I was never terribly confident in them throughout. Think my comments here reflect that. Got significantly more confident in the defense late in the season and was hoping they could carry the team, but clearly not
    Um, Adrian Peterson talking about playing for the Giants?!?!

at 32? I guess. But there's also that domestic violence issue.
    I miss igotid88
    I know he only played 3 games this season. But he couldn't average more than 2 yards. And if this offensive line isn't fixed. It would be an awful signing
    I miss igotid88
    Eli Manning is a finalist for the Walter Payton Man Of The Year Award once again
    I miss igotid88
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    igotid88 said:

That's obviously not an issue for Mara.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

igotid88 said:

That's obviously not an issue for Mara.
    That's not an issue for most teams
    I miss igotid88
    edited February 2017
    Eli Manning is one of the Walter Payton Men of the Year
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

Eli Manning is one of the Walter Payton Men of the Year

He should've been the ONLY man of the year. Eli is always getting slighted!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Giants cut Cruz and Jennings
    I miss igotid88
    Should the Giants try to get Brandon Marshall?
    I miss igotid88
    Or maybe Desean Jackson or Garcon?
    I miss igotid88
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    TK will do for now. No need for another receiver. Bigger problems elsewhere. Obviously LT 1st. Then Blocking TE, and an effective Fullback.

TK will do for now. No need for another receiver. Bigger problems elsewhere. Obviously LT 1st. Then Blocking TE, and an effective Fullback.

I think they give flowers one more year. He stinks though

I hope we can get TE that can do both block and receive. I don't know if King is the answer. Marshall would be a good end zone guy win as he is tall. I think he has a year or 2 left in him. Only if he takes a pay cut of course. I hope Vereen can stay healthy this year. It looked like he was about to have his best season last year. And this being the final year of his contract. You know he's going to want that big final paycheck.
    I miss igotid88
    edited March 2017

I think they give flowers one more year. He stinks though
    Hopefully at RT. I don't think he's disciplined enough and have good enough footwork at LT. At least not in the pros where rushers and stoppers are way stronger and faster
    Post edited by crookedcross on
    edited March 2017
    double post
    Post edited by crookedcross on
    igotid88 said:

Should the Giants try to get Brandon Marshall?

There you go. Those 3 receivers should be a good threat. Hopefully he can come down with some of Eli's would be picks too.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I like it.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    edited March 2017

I like it.

Dude, based on Garcon getting $16 mil for his first year, this looks like a great deal.