Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    GC31608 said:

Very nice mrussel1! Great idea with all the sound proofing.

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with it. We don't have basements in this part of VA very often, so 3rd floor is the next best thing. Soundproofing made a big difference. Although when one of my wasted jack ass friends drops a pool stick while playing air guitar at 1:30 in the morning, everyone hears it. Those things are loud on wood floors.
  • mrussel1 said:

Okay, here's my gear that I keep upstairs. I finished this room myself and put in sound deadening material under the floor, rather than normal vapor barrier. I also put an exterior, insulated door to the downstairs for further sound proofing. The result is that even though it's right above the bedrooms, I can take it to about -15 with no one downstairs really hearing it. That's not too shabby..

Chain:
    Pro-Ject Carbon Debut with Red ortofon and acrylic platter (not pictured)
    Cambridge Audio Azur MM pre-amp
    Yamaha RX-1030A serving as pre/pro
    Outlaw Audio 5000 5 channel amp
    B&W 683 S1 speakers and matching center
    Pioneer Elite A35 2 channel integrated amp drives a pair of B&W bookshelves that are inside the stereo cabinet. I use this to listen to music if playing something on the PS4
    Squeezebox Touch 24/96 DAC
    Def Tech BP/A rear channel in wall speakers (behind couch)
    Acoustech PL200 12" sub rear ported driver, 1000 watt internal amp
    Def tech BP8 speakers on the other side of the room for full sound when shooting pool

Question. You can't play the TT using the center speaker correct?

mrussel1 said:

Okay, here's my gear that I keep upstairs. I finished this room myself and put in sound deadening material under the floor, rather than normal vapor barrier. I also put an exterior, insulated door to the downstairs for further sound proofing. The result is that even though it's right above the bedrooms, I can take it to about -15 with no one downstairs really hearing it. That's not too shabby..

Chain:
    Pioneer Elite A35 2 channel integrated amp drives a pair of B&W bookshelves that are inside the stereo cabinet. I use this to listen to music if playing something on the PS4
    Def tech BP8 speakers on the other side of the room for full sound when shooting pool

I can, but I don't. The AVR/pre has all sorts of fabricated sound fields that you can use. But I only listen to music in "pure" or "direct" mode, so that is straight, flat two channel with no EQ or coloring of the sound.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Chain:

I can, but I don't. The AVR/pre has all sorts of fabricated sound fields that you can use. But I only listen to music in "pure" or "direct" mode, so that is straight, flat two channel with no EQ or coloring of the sound.
    I've really been enjoying my setup in pure mode. When I first turned it on I pressed the button before even engaging the speakers so this setup has never been out of pure mode haha.
    bflynn1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Chain:

I've really been enjoying my setup in pure mode. When I first turned it on I pressed the button before even engaging the speakers so this setup has never been out of pure mode haha.
    Take it out for a minute. Your ears will bleed
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2016
    Very nice @mrussel1 , I have been listening to my set up pretty critically lately, and I am pretty happy with my modest analog set up except for my hand me down Yamaha speakers. I currently have Elac Debut F5s on my wish list. I would have gotten them this year for Christmas, but instead ask for an Okki Nokki RCM. Which I can't wait for Santa to bring me...will be cleaning records Christmas morning..lol

But my analog chain right now consists of:
    Music Hall 2.2 w/ Music Hall Cork Mat
    AT440MLb cartridge
    Pro-Ject Speed Box S
    Marantz PM5005 (Phono Input)
    Yamaha NS-A636 speakers
    Monster Cable XP XPNW-50 speaker cables
    KabelDirekt Pro interconnects

Note - I do also listen to my amp on Source Direct (if the vinyl mastering allows)
  • mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Chain:

It'll sound like crap right?

I have always thought that a TT couldn't be played in stereo or surround and only on 2 channels?

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Chain:

It'll sound like crap right?

I have always thought that a TT couldn't be played in stereo or surround and only on 2 channels?
    No that's not true. You can do it but it sounds bad to me. And you can't do it in pure
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    With the exception of quad, turntables are 2-channel machines. You can go mono, stereo or quad, but you won't find 5.1 surround sound on vinyl.

While one could implement a center channel (and other channels, too I guess) by running a turntable through a home theater system, the stereo imaging and vinyl experience would likely suffer.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    MedozK said:

Very nice @mrussel1 , I have been listening to my set up pretty critically lately, and I am pretty happy with my modest analog set up except for my hand me down Yamaha speakers. I currently have Elac Debut F5s on my wish list. I would have gotten them this year for Christmas, but instead ask for an Okki Nokki RCM. Which I can't wait for Santa to bring me...will be cleaning records Christmas morning..lol

But my analog chain right now consists of:
    Music Hall 2.2 w/ Music Hall Cork Mat
    AT440MLb cartridge
    Pro-Ject Speed Box S
    Marantz PM5005 (Phono Input)
    Yamaha NS-A636 speakers
    Monster Cable XP XPNW-50 speaker cables
    KabelDirekt Pro interconnects

Note - I do also listen to my amp on Source Direct (if the vinyl mastering allows)

Please post your opinion on the Okie. I saw one the other day at my local hi fi shop. It was white. I'm curious how it works and how loud. They said it's bi- directional which is unusual at that price.

I think my next upgrade is going to the Ortophon blue..maybe bronze.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited March 2017
    Double post. Sorry.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mrussel1 said:

Please post your opinion on the Okie. I saw one the other day at my local hi fi shop. It was white. I'm curious how it works and how loud. They said it's bi- directional which is unusual at that price.

Yes it is bi-directional. Works very good so far, can tell some definite differences in some vinyl after cleanings. Not nearly as loud as what I was expecting.
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Yes it is bi-directional. Works very good so far, can tell some definite differences in some vinyl after cleanings. Not nearly as loud as what I was expecting.
    Great thanks. I'll pick one up soon probably. I'm starting to buy some older records.
  • MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Is this the vacuum cleaner type? That one really interests me.
    I'm currently saving up for an Okki Nokki myself.

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

Is this the vacuum cleaner type? That one really interests me.
    Yes it is. So far I really like it.
    edited December 2016
    OK, took a few photos today.

The new Okki Nokki

Post edited by MedozK on
    I really like your vinyl organization and what you did with that entertainment center
    bflynn1 said:

I really like your vinyl organization and what you did with that entertainment center

Thanks, yea I wanted somewhere for my 45s to go with easy access.
    MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

I'm probably just going to have to get a case for my 45s... I really want them to be on display too though (for the ones that aren't part of a box set).
    MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

I do too. Looks clean but artsy.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    So, I've had a bit of a swap around and added some new gear, basically splitting up what I had so I have two set-ups, one for listening (mostly vinyl) and one for TV (movies, sports etc)...

Music set-up:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Rega RP3 with Elys Blue cartridge 
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20
    Monitor Audio Bronze 5's
    Added new shelving for records here..

Then for my TV set-up:

Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV
    Yamaha RX-V481 
    Klipsch RP-150M's
    Apple TV

The guy in-store said the Klipsch speakers will need around 100 hours of play before they burn in properly, so that should be interesting. The plan is to eventually get rid of the Cambridge amp and purchase proper pre and power amp's for the vinyl set-up.. :)
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Lookin' good.. I am buying a record cabinet that looks just like that one tomorrow. It's maybe a shade lighter wood, but basically the same.
    edited January 2017
    mrussel1 said:

Lookin' good.. I am buying a record cabinet that looks just like that one tomorrow. It's maybe a shade lighter wood, but basically the same.

Thanks, yeah happy with it all. So its a Kallax not an Expedit you're going for? They do them in different colours and finishes like gloss black or red...
    reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

Thanks, yeah happy with it all. So its a Kallax not an Expedit you're going for? They do them in different colours and finishes like gloss black or red...
    No, not Ikea. Costco actually has it here in Virginia. I was surprised. It's wood veneers but solid and super heavy. It's only like $120 but that's a steal for solid piece.
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

No, not Ikea. Costco actually has it here in Virginia. I was surprised. It's wood veneers but solid and super heavy. It's only like $120 but that's a steal for solid piece.
    Sounds good, you'll have to post some photo's once its all in..

Does anyone know much about these Klipsch speakers? I know they're an American brand and I've read good reviews online, just wondering if anyone on here has heard them and if they have any thoughts...?
    reesdog said:

Does anyone know much about these Klipsch speakers? I know they're an American brand and I've read good reviews online, just wondering if anyone on here has heard them and if they have any thoughts...?

I have a lot of thoughts on Klipsch, although not necessarily those. I think they will be very good for TV although you should probably have a center channel. The Monitors are much better musical speakers than those Klipsch, even if they were the same size.
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

I have a lot of thoughts on Klipsch, although not necessarily those. I think they will be very good for TV although you should probably have a center channel. The Monitors are much better musical speakers than those Klipsch, even if they were the same size.
    Yeah thats what I though too mrussel1, keep the Monitor's for music only as I'm very pleased with them and the Klipsch for TV. The Monitors are floorstanding size so quite a bit bigger than the new Klipsch's, though these are very large for "bookshelf" speakers..
    reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

Yeah thats what I though too mrussel1, keep the Monitor's for music only as I'm very pleased with them and the Klipsch for TV. The Monitors are floorstanding size so quite a bit bigger than the new Klipsch's, though these are very large for "bookshelf" speakers..
    Yeah.. Klipsch use a horn design which amplifies the highs. I find them a little bright for music, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Bright speakers give me listening fatigue for music. On the flip side, it makes it easier to understand words on movies, tv shows, etc. That's why I find Klipsch and Def Tech better suited for home theater or all purpose listening, rather than audiophile.