ISO Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon

A little off topic I know but I would love to get my hands on a bottle of this juice. If anyone has any leads on where I can find some please let me know...thanks

Comments

• cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    What ya have to offer?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I know someone who has a bottle but he is saving it for a ultra special occasion.

Stuff is pricey!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I've got a bottle of 20yrold. It's not cheap though...
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I know someone who has a bottle but he is saving it for a ultra special occasion.

Stuff is pricey!

And yet, didn't we think that ultra special occasion already arrived? :hint, hint dude who we speak not of his name: Open that damned bottle and drink up! Enjoy and celebrate!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I am going to call my local distributor..,,
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    edited December 2016
    If you can't find any Pappy, Buffalo Trace is the same liquid with less age on it (and hundreds of dollars cheaper). Blanton's is superior to both in my opinion! Good luck, though - I definitely understand the draw of the Pappy!
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
    Entered into a lottery - feels like I'm waiting for PJ tickets
  • ME68701ME68701 Hershey, PA Posts: 103

Entered into a lottery - feels like I'm waiting for PJ tickets

Me too! Its the only way to buy it for retail in Pennsylvania. But its Dec. 15th and I haven't heard anything yet, which i'm 99.9% sure that means i'm SOL. But who knows I think last year they had an issue with the lottery system and it was delayed some. I will keep my fingers crossed.
    I talked to the shop owner and slipped him a twenty #MAGA
  • Washed said:

If you can't find any Pappy, Buffalo Trace is the same liquid with less age on it (and hundreds of dollars cheaper). Blanton's is superior to both in my opinion! Good luck, though - I definitely understand the draw of the Pappy!

This is the correct answer. Pappy is good, no doubt, but Blanton's is better. To be honest, it's not even that close. I searched for a long time and finally got to try the 15 and the 20. Buy several bottles of Blanton's instead. It won't be long and Blanton's will be difficult to locate.
  • Washed said:

This is the correct answer. Pappy is good, no doubt, but Blanton's is better. To be honest, it's not even that close. I searched for a long time and finally got to try the 15 and the 20. Buy several bottles of Blanton's instead. It won't be long and Blanton's will be difficult to locate.
    I got to taste the 23yo Pappy last night. Did a Jameson Black Barrel too. That 23yo is very good. Taste buds were spinning.

I'm excited to try the Blanton's next!
  • Entered into a lottery - feels like I'm waiting for PJ tickets

This stuff should have been long gone by now Buck. I'd be very surprised if you get this.

Washed said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Blanton's will suddenly become hard to locate? I started drinking Blantons about 13 years ago and its always available. All the local places even put it on sale quite regularly. I think for it to become hard to get, they would need to start making it in much smaller batches. That being said, I agree its outstanding. Never had Pappy, but I've longed to try it and I've been told by more than one person that there are several bourbons that can be purchased at any time that are better, Bookers and Blantons included.

Anyone ever get ahold of Black Maple Hill? This is the stuff my buddy raves about.
  • DB2707DB2707 Posts: 60
    I know Bookers pricing is going up next year so people have been snatching it up left and right. Perhaps the case is the same with Blanton's.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    How much is the Blantons in the US? Theres a couple bottles here but they are $99 not sure if im at the $99 point, still love my Lemmys
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    Blanton's is around $60 in the US. I'm in Charlotte and it is very difficult to find. I have to be on the mailing list and when it comes in it is first come, first serve. The bottles never touch the shelves.

I've heard Black Maple Hill is spectacular but never gotten my hands on a bottle.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Horse2345 said:
    Yes, you should be able to find it in the $60 range, for now.

Horse2345 said:
    Yes, you should be able to find it in the $60 range, for now.
    Cool thanks That price is Canadian so about $60 US
  • ME68701 said:

Washed said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Blanton's will suddenly become hard to locate? I started drinking Blantons about 13 years ago and its always available. All the local places even put it on sale quite regularly. I think for it to become hard to get, they would need to start making it in much smaller batches. That being said, I agree its outstanding. Never had Pappy, but I've longed to try it and I've been told by more than one person that there are several bourbons that can be purchased at any time that are better, Bookers and Blantons included.

Anyone ever get ahold of Black Maple Hill? This is the stuff my buddy raves about.
    The Buffalo Trace distillery, which produces Blanton's,released a statement earlier this year about a shortage. Basically the dramatic increase in Bourbon sales was not anticipated 6-12 years ago, which is how long the aging process is. There are many parts of the country it is impossible to find Blanton's. Some Bourbons like Elijah Craig have decided to take the age statemt of their bottles. I don't think ablanton's will do that.
    Man, I might need to go snag a couple of bottles of Blantons. I don't by it as regularly as I buy bottles like Makers Mark and Knob Creek, but the price is a big reason for that. I know I saw Blantons on the shelf recently, so I'm gonna go grab a couple bottles. It would suck if I suddenly got a taste for it and it was nowhere to be found.
  • photo IMG_4400_zpskkh5rloq.jpg
    Boom...
  • photo IMG_4400_zpskkh5rloq.jpg
    Boom...

That rules!! Congrats!!!
    I am going to stock up on all the stuff listed above, it's not like it will go bad.... ;)
  • Blanton's was a bit of an industry secret for years, so to speak.

Going back a decade plus Pappy was much easier to find because not as many people were drinking bourbons. As the demand annoyingly skyrocketed many went to other quality offerings that were available. I know Blanton's was my go to for single barrel for some time, until the current company I work for didn't have distribution rights. Even now, I still will buy a bottle when I see it priced right. And it was a guy who worked for Sazerac and Barton Brands (parent company for Buffalo Trace) who helped me get started in the liquor industry. So I have a soft spot in my heart for Blanton's, as it was his recommendation to me.

But yes, Blanton's will become more scarce because production cannot keep up with demand, AND the current distributors are getting it into more and more retailers. Many saw the writing on the wall when you started seeing it in Jewel-Osco liquor sets; that's as mainstream for distribution as you can get next to Wal-mart or Target. You will see it on sale often as the price has been inflated by retailers in response to demand (see Pappy Van Winkle's retail pricing), so there is room for them to move their margin.

Long story short: Blanton's is a superior offering to many other crap whiskeys out in the market, and I say it is wise to invest in some bottles...but it will have a different flavor profile than the Van Winkle line because of the difference in mash bill.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Horse2345 said:
    That's it, hardly ever in BC. I picked up a bottle this morning from the Jericho store. Last year BCL brought in the gold edition. There are four types of Blanton's, the original which is currently here, the barrel proof, the gold label, and the weaker green label. I went to the distillery this year before the Lexington PJ show, was really neat as they take you into the room where they label the bottles among other really cool/historic places around Buffalo Trace.

I've been looking for the barrel proof one for awhile but have never seen it on the shelves anywhere in BC or WA. It's been described as something that would fit in well if they were to add a 6th bottle to the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • OP, I am sorry i didn't offer you help on my original post. Even though this might be a little late for this year, what you can do is use the store locator that Pappy offers on their site.

Find the store(s) closest to you and see if they have it (they probably don't anymore), but a lot of those local retailers will put you on a list for next year or if you frequent them enough where they get to know you they will hold a bottle for you upon release. Just keep asking at your favorite beverage depot and ask them about other limited offerings. Once they know you and see that you are willing to support them with other things they are selling it tends to loosen them up on the Pappy.

I know so many retailers that will just roll their eyes when someone they have never seen before comes in asking for it and then leaves without purchasing anything.

I know it's not the quickest way but it will put you on the right track for some quality limited release stuff and eventually Pappy.
    mwplum said:

Horse2345 said:
    That's it, hardly ever in BC. I picked up a bottle this morning from the Jericho store. Last year BCL brought in the gold edition. There are four types of Blanton's, the original which is currently here, the barrel proof, the gold label, and the weaker green label. I went to the distillery this year before the Lexington PJ show, was really neat as they take you into the room where they label the bottles among other really cool/historic places around Buffalo Trace.

I've been looking for the barrel proof one for awhile but have never seen it on the shelves anywhere in BC or WA. It's been described as something that would fit in well if they were to add a 6th bottle to the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.
    When you say "green label" are you referring to the Special Reserve? I got a bottle of that about 12 years ago at a liquor store in Nassau Bahamas of all places. Only time I've ever seen it for sale.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    ^^Yes, the green label is the special reserve. I just referred to it as the weaker one as it's 80 proof in contrast to the original (93 proof), gold (103 proof) and barrel (varies, but I know of one batch that was 130 proof).

From my understanding, only the Original is available in the USA, whereas the green, gold, and barrel are offered only internationally and in duty free stores. I'm not sure why they've done that, I guess to promote global recognition. There was a time when certain Four Roses were only offered in Asia and Europe too.

Did you like the special reserve?
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
    mwplum said:

^^Yes, the green label is the special reserve. I just referred to it as the weaker one as it's 80 proof in contrast to the original (93 proof), gold (103 proof) and barrel (varies, but I know of one batch that was 130 proof).

From my understanding, only the Original is available in the USA, whereas the green, gold, and barrel are offered only internationally and in duty free stores. I'm not sure why they've done that, I guess to promote global recognition. There was a time when certain Four Roses were only offered in Asia and Europe too.

Did you like the special reserve?

Its been a while since I polished off that bottle, but I can remember thinking it was slightly less appealing than the regular, but the lower proof can explain that. Not that it wasn't good, but if I had the choice I'd go regular all day. Its kinda like drinking Basil Haydens. It has good flavor to it, but if I'm drinking Bourbon I'd prefer something a little stronger.

If I were to see the Special Reserve again I'd probably pick up a bottle only because I recall it being only $30.
This discussion has been closed.