Recommendations for a wah wah pedal

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
Hey guys, been playing guitar for 20 years but never used a wah wah pedal. any recommendations? Something under a $100 (if possible). Thanks.

Mike
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I've had a bunch of them over the years. The only one I still have and use regularly is a Dunlop 535Q. It's a little over your budget but they show up used around here for about $75.00.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Dunlop CryBaby. I paid like $60 for it back in 1997. Here's a little jam Matt and I wrote where I used it a bit.

https://www.reverbnation.com/presentlyfalling/song/8713031-12611-shut-yo-mouth-jam
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Sweet! Thanks guys.

Dunlop CryBaby. I paid like $60 for it back in 1997. Here's a little jam Matt and I wrote where I used it a bit.

https://www.reverbnation.com/presentlyfalling/song/8713031-12611-shut-yo-mouth-jam

That Jam was kick ass! What guitar do you guys play?
    mcgruff10 said:

That Jam was kick ass! What guitar do you guys play?
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard for me
    Matt playing an American Strat & Fender Jazz Bass if memory serves
    www.cluthelee.com
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i use a budda budwah. mine is about 10 years old. i bought it used for like $100 from a guy who used to be in my band. i used to use a crybaby but found it to be too bright and "squwaky." the budwah doesn't have the harsh high end at the end of the sweep that my crybaby had. i think it depends on your amp and what other effects you run.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

i use a budda budwah. mine is about 10 years old. i bought it used for like $100 from a guy who used to be in my band. i used to use a crybaby but found it to be too bright and "squwaky." the budwah doesn't have the harsh high end at the end of the sweep that my crybaby had. i think it depends on your amp and what other effects you run.

Hey gimme!! Great to see you man! The Budda is an awesome pedal too - totally right about the squawk. I kinda like the squawk, so the Budda is smooooooth.
    www.cluthelee.com
    any clue what kind of wah wah tom morello used in bulls on parade?

Hey gimme!! Great to see you man! The Budda is an awesome pedal too - totally right about the squawk. I kinda like the squawk, so the Budda is smooooooth.
    hey thanks man. good to see you too.

yeah man work has been keeping me super busy. plus i have reverted back into tonechaser mode so most of my evenings on the computer are spent looking at pedal demos and reviews, etc. that is part of the reason i came back to the forums just to see if you guys had any new gear recommendtaions.

i kinda liked the squawk too, but we switched to vintage marshalls which have a lot of high end so to my ears the crybaby was a bit much. the budwah has a nice sweep without the harsh high at the end. i see that budda has changed the shape of the pedal in the newer generations so i have not played one of the new ones. I hope the casing is all they changed.

i still have my crybaby. maybe i will plug it in again and see if i have change my mind over the years, haha...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

mcgruff10 said:

any clue what kind of wah wah tom morello used in bulls on parade?

i know what you are talking about. he had that growl with the wah. i think the growl was due to his old marshall jcm 800 amp head.

i'm 95% sure he used a crybaby with a digitech whammy. I don't recall if that song was 1/2 step down or not, but guitar tuning could also help to get that growl.

fantastic wah tone on that song for sure.

• Huge fan of the Crybaby Classic
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy