A Perfect Circle working on new material, set to tour in 2017

Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
edited November 2016 in Other Music
I was pretty psyched to read this morning that APC is working on new material, and plans to tour in 2017. http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/493469/perfect-circle-big-plans-2017.htm. I thought 2011 might be the last we would hear from this act.

This is about the best Maynard related news I could have hoped for, with the exception of an announcement for a new Tool album (keep holding my breath, right?). While I didn’t love the album of cover songs (it had its highlights), their 1st two albums, and their live shows are mind blowing.

I’m looking forward to hearing what new original material they release. ‘The 13th Step’ is a really dynamic album that I still listen to on a regular basis even now, 12 years or so after it came out. The live material they released more recently is equally impressive, the harmonies Keenan & Howerdel belt out are phenomenal, not to mention Josh Freese’s insane drum skills (while Freese is no longer with the band, Jeff Friedl is no slouch either – he played with them when I saw them in 2011, and is a more than adequate replacement)

So yeah…… this news has put me in a very good mood today.
Post edited by Merkin Baller on

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Outside of a new Tool album and tour, this is good news
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Awesome-o!
  • Terrible news.

APC... Puscifer... come on, man. The band we care about is Tool. Every time people plug their noses and tolerate the 'side' stuff... Maynard thinks he's doing okay.

Don't get me wrong: there's a 'few' good songs, but these bands aren't even in the same hemisphere as Tool. If these bands didn't feature Maynard... I'd think they'd be completely irrelevant.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Joy! :)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Awesome news!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    FrankY59 said:

Awesome-o!

would rather have a new tool album but will settle for this. Never seen them live before.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    edited December 2016

Terrible news.

APC... Puscifer... come on, man. The band we care about is Tool. Every time people plug their noses and tolerate the 'side' stuff... Maynard thinks he's doing okay.

Don't get me wrong: there's a 'few' good songs, but these bands aren't even in the same hemisphere as Tool. If these bands didn't feature Maynard... I'd think they'd be completely irrelevant.

I hate to break it to you, but Maynard's doing better than ok, and it's not because people "plug their noses."

I agree, neither of these bands is as good as Tool, but that's a pretty high measuring stick you're holding them up to. At the end of the day how many bands DO compare to Tool? Not many. I also don't think Maynard's side projects or businesses are the reason Tool hasn't released any new music, but feel free to refute that or just disagree.

Sure, I could have the attitude that these bands suck because of who they aren't, but I would have deprived myself of some pretty awesome music. Both bands have released AT LEAST two solid albums each (Mer de Noms, 13th Step, Conditions of my Parole & Money Shot are all fantastic albums) and perform awesome live shows, worth every penny IMO.

I'm glad I kept an open mind & gave them a chance, I've been well rewarded.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Terrible news.

I hate to break it to you, but Maynard's doing better than ok, and it's not because people "plug their noses."

I agree, neither of these bands is as good as Tool, but that's a pretty high measuring stick you're holding them up to. At the end of the day how many bands DO compare to Tool? Not many. I also don't think Maynard's side projects or businesses are the reason Tool hasn't released any new music, but feel free to refute that or just disagree.

Sure, I could have the attitude that these bands suck because of who they aren't, but I would have deprived myself of some pretty awesome music. Both bands have released AT LEAST two solid albums each (Mer de Noms, 13th Step, Conditions of my Parole & Money Shot are all fantastic albums) and perform awesome live shows, worth every penny IMO.

I own all the APC albums. They're decent, but far from great.

I've seen Puscifer. Okay. Not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

I never said Maynard wasn't doing okay. I just said he's involved in other things that keep him from the band. You've disputed this, but I'm not sure why? It's obviously true.

If you're excited about Maynard making a massive time commitment to APC after all the time he spent with Puscifer and thinking that elusive new Tool album is right around the corner... you're dreaming.
    I'm hoping for the new Tool sooner than later too. But I am APC fan as well and hope to catch a show. Assuming they even play East Coast dates. I'd also say they are better than decent, but to each their own. Not a Pucifier fan by any stretch. Form the article, it appears the other guys in the band have not turned over the music to Maynard to right for yet anyway, so it does not appear to be all his fault. I also don't think APC would take up all of 2017. Who knows, all speculation at this point.
  • Terrible news.

I never said Maynard wasn't doing okay. I just said he's involved in other things that keep him from the band. You've disputed this, but I'm not sure why? It's obviously true.

If you're excited about Maynard making a massive time commitment to APC after all the time he spent with Puscifer and thinking that elusive new Tool album is right around the corner... you're dreaming.
    I think your assumption that Maynard's other projects are what's holding up Tool's new album is wrong:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

Recently Maynard did a lengthy interview w/ Yahoo; blabbermouth summarizes the interview here:
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/maynard-james-keenan-calls-tool-creative-process-tedious/

So, if Maynard's to be believed, he's waiting on the rest of the band, not the other way around.

I'm excited about Maynard's commitment to another musical project that I find very interesting and enjoyable (I'm doubly excited because I thought APC was over & done with). If you don't enjoy those bands, good for you...... music is subjective, I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

If you simply resent these projects because you think they are holding up Tool's new album, I think your resentment is misplaced.

• Terrible news.

I think your assumption that Maynard's other projects are what's holding up Tool's new album is wrong:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

Recently Maynard did a lengthy interview w/ Yahoo; blabbermouth summarizes the interview here:
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/maynard-james-keenan-calls-tool-creative-process-tedious/

So, if Maynard's to be believed, he's waiting on the rest of the band, not the other way around.

I'm excited about Maynard's commitment to another musical project that I find very interesting and enjoyable (I'm doubly excited because I thought APC was over & done with). If you don't enjoy those bands, good for you...... music is subjective, I have no interest in trying to change your mind.

If you simply resent these projects because you think they are holding up Tool's new album, I think your resentment is misplaced.
    The rest of the band says differently than Maynard and has expressed such numerous times (that is even expressed in the article you linked). The rest of the band writes the music and Maynard then writes the lyrics- that is their process. He's not writing lyrics when he's busying himself with side projects that are infinitely inferior to Tool.

And for the record, I'm not sure 'resent' is the most appropriate term to describe my sentiments. 'Honest' might be a better term. Puscifer is 'just okay' (at best) and APC is 'okay'. These bands' link to Tool has spawned their popularity. If these bands had come on to the scene without the popularity of Maynard to promote them... it is my feel they would be nothing spectacular at all.

• Terrible news.

The rest of the band says differently than Maynard and has expressed such numerous times (that is even expressed in the article you linked). The rest of the band writes the music and Maynard then writes the lyrics- that is their process. He's not writing lyrics when he's busying himself with side projects that are infinitely inferior to Tool.

And for the record, I'm not sure 'resent' is the most appropriate term to describe my sentiments. 'Honest' might be a better term. Puscifer is 'just okay' (at best) and APC is 'okay'. These bands' link to Tool has spawned their popularity. If these bands had come on to the scene without the popularity of Maynard to promote them... it is my feel they would be nothing spectacular at all.
    What exactly did the band say differently and express numerous times?

I clearly missed it, can you copy & paste these quotes?
  • From your link:

While he said that they have two albums' worth of material prepared, he added that only five of those songs meet the "TOOL standard" and that Keenan has yet to write or sing lyrics for anything.

Will that suffice? He's done nothing except spend his artistic time with sub rate bands (his prerogative of course).
  • From your link:

While he said that they have two albums' worth of material prepared, he added that only five of those songs meet the "TOOL standard" and that Keenan has yet to write or sing lyrics for anything.

Will that suffice? He's done nothing except spend his artistic time with sub rate bands (his prerogative of course).

Not really, it doesn't say they are waiting on him, so I think you're drawing an inference that isn't necessarily there.

Regardless, you're convinced the band is waiting on Maynard, and he's holding them up. Right?

According to his comments, he would prefer they work faster:

“If Tool was more prolific, if they were a little steadier, if we could get things done a little faster I would probably be happy. But things take a long time, they’re tedious. The other guys are very meticulous and I get bored. So I have to go do things in between. The perception, of course, if that they’re waiting on me. No, that’s not the case"

https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/maynard-james-keenan-says-tools-slow-creative-process-is-tedious-for-him/amp?client=safari

As I mentioned before, I could care less if you don't like his other bands, but this comment directly refutes the notion that the side projects are the cause of Tool's delay. In fact, Maynard claims the opposite, these projects are the result of the delay.

The Rolling Stone article also cites a massively complicated lawsuit and family commitments as affecting the creative process at least up to 2014, but let's ignore that. It's reasonable to believe that Maynard doesn't want Tool to release any new music, and he's only interested in making sub-par music.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I, for one, am excited about news of a new APC album and tour!
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I will never understand how people can demand new albums. You cannot rush a creative process. If Maynard needs to release his musical creativity through an outlet not fitting of Tool...or Puscifer so be it. When the time comes do you really think he is gonna say, "yea I have all my Tool lyrics in my head but will keep it there...forever." Ten years is a long time but oh well.
  • From your link:

Not really, it doesn't say they are waiting on him, so I think you're drawing an inference that isn't necessarily there.

Regardless, you're convinced the band is waiting on Maynard, and he's holding them up. Right?

“If Tool was more prolific, if they were a little steadier, if we could get things done a little faster I would probably be happy. But things take a long time, they’re tedious. The other guys are very meticulous and I get bored. So I have to go do things in between. The perception, of course, if that they’re waiting on me. No, that’s not the case"

https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/maynard-james-keenan-says-tools-slow-creative-process-is-tedious-for-him/amp?client=safari

As I mentioned before, I could care less if you don't like his other bands, but this comment directly refutes the notion that the side projects are the cause of Tool's delay. In fact, Maynard claims the opposite, these projects are the result of the delay.

The Rolling Stone article also cites a massively complicated lawsuit and family commitments as affecting the creative process at least up to 2014, but let's ignore that. It's reasonable to believe that Maynard doesn't want Tool to release any new music, and he's only interested in making sub-par music.
    I do feel the way I do. APC and Puscifer doesn't stir me at all, but there are bigger bands than those two lame ones that don't do anything for me either (Phish for example).

Regardless, we can drop it. I brought a little rain to this parade. I should have stayed away and let APC fans rejoice without expressing my sentiments.

* Really really like Tool though.
  • From your link:

I do feel the way I do. APC and Puscifer doesn't stir me at all, but there are bigger bands than those two lame ones that don't do anything for me either (Phish for example).

Regardless, we can drop it. I brought a little rain to this parade. I should have stayed away and let APC fans rejoice without expressing my sentiments.

* Really really like Tool though.
    Nah, you didn't rain on my parade. I stopped caring about other people's musical tastes a long time ago, to each his own. A couple of bands that you think are lame & irrelevant I find enjoyable & interesting. It's subjective, that's how music works.

We agree on Tool however, hands down they're one of my top three bands. Hopefully you & I are celebrating some good news about them here in a few months.

Peace man.
    From the PJ tour thread, looks like one APC date is out now. Festival in Jacksonville end of April.

community.pearljam.com/discussion/254531/2017-pearl-jam-tour-rumor-thread#latest
  • From the PJ tour thread, looks like one APC date is out now. Festival in Jacksonville end of April.

community.pearljam.com/discussion/254531/2017-pearl-jam-tour-rumor-thread#latest

It looks like at least 3 festival dates so far, all w/ Soundgarden & other heavy bands.

I'm really hoping for a solo show, I don't know that I'll want to deal with a festival crowd to see them again.
    Posted on their Facebook, Spring 2017 tour, tickets 12/15. First show announced other than the festivals is May 7 at the Hollywood Bowl
  • Posted on their Facebook, Spring 2017 tour, tickets 12/15. First show announced other than the festivals is May 7 at the Hollywood Bowl

Good catch.

Looks like Thursday is the presale, I saw a code of REBELAPC..... I'm hoping for some non festival dates in the NE.

Posted on their Facebook, Spring 2017 tour, tickets 12/15. First show announced other than the festivals is May 7 at the Hollywood Bowl

Good catch.

Looks like Thursday is the presale, I saw a code of REBELAPC..... I'm hoping for some non festival dates in the NE.
    Same here.
    come on philly....
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • come on philly....

I wouldn't mind a return trip to the Tower Theater........ my first & only show there (last month) was one for the ages!

come on philly....

I wouldn't mind a return trip to the Tower Theater........ my first & only show there (last month) was one for the ages!
    tower theater would be cool or the Mann. I think the last time they played in philly it was festival pier (penn's landing) which i missed cause i was stupid and didn't get tix.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    April 7 & 8 Las Vegas, NV The Pearl
    April 10 Phoenix, AZ Comerica Theatre
    April 11 San Diego, CA Open Air Theatre
    April 13 San Francisco Bill Graham Civic
    April 14 Reno, NV Reno Event Center
    April 15 Salt Lake City Maverik Center
    April 17 Denver, CO 1st Bank Center
    April 19 Kansas City, MO Starlight Amphitheatre
    April 20 St. Louis, MO Chafietz Arena
    April 22 Tulsa, OK BOK Center
    April 23 Grand Prairie, TX Verizon Theatre
    April 25 Austin, TX HEB Center at Cedar Park
    April 26 San Antonio, TX Freeman Coliseum
    April 27 Houston, TX Smart Financial Center
    April 29 Jacksonville, FL Welcome to Rockville
    April 30 Ft. Myers, FL Fort Rock Festival
    May 2 Atlanta, GA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    May 3 Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena
    May 5 Charlotte, NC Carolina Rebellion
    May 7 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl

Tickets for all non-festival dates (or Hollywood Bowl which is already on-sale) on-sale this Friday, Jan. 13 at 10 am local time.

Jeez barely anything on the east coast :disappointed:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    well that is disappointing, not sure why Maynard hates the North East
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386

April 7 & 8 Las Vegas, NV The Pearl

Tickets for all non-festival dates (or Hollywood Bowl which is already on-sale) on-sale this Friday, Jan. 13 at 10 am local time.

That's too bad, I would love to have been able to see them again, but I don't think I'll travel for APC.

Just announced in the last few days, another one of Maynard's projects will be coming to NYC the weekend of 6/3........ (cc: @Thirty Bills Unpaid )

https://www.governorsballmusicfestival.com/

I'm still not holding my breath for the new album, but it would be nice to see Tool in the Northeast again (it's 5 years since they played Boston)
  • April 7 & 8 Las Vegas, NV The Pearl

That's too bad, I would love to have been able to see them again, but I don't think I'll travel for APC.

Just announced in the last few days, another one of Maynard's projects will be coming to NYC the weekend of 6/3........ (cc: @Thirty Bills Unpaid )

https://www.governorsballmusicfestival.com/

I'm still not holding my breath for the new album, but it would be nice to see Tool in the Northeast again (it's 5 years since they played Boston)
    Sigh.