PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Alcoholics Anonymous Responsibility Statement:

“I am responsible . . .
    When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help,
    I want the hand of A.A. always to be there.
    And for that: I am responsible.”
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Proud of you guys..happy thanksgiving!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    mickeyrat said:

Remember folks, if tomorrow or this weekend becomes overwhelming, go to a meeting or reach out. AA doesnt take a holiday. Neither does alcoholism or drug addiction.

A good reminder. Thank you for that.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • I'm about 5 months sober. Not in AA, but I incorporate parts of AA into my life. One day at a time.
    This will only take a while
  • mickeyrat said:

Remember folks, if tomorrow or this weekend becomes overwhelming, go to a meeting or reach out. AA doesnt take a holiday. Neither does alcoholism or drug addiction.

Nice :)
    This will only take a while
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:

Alcoholics Anonymous Responsibility Statement:

“I am responsible . . .
    When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help,
    I want the hand of A.A. always to be there.
    And for that: I am responsible.”

Rock on, mickey.

I'm about 5 months sober. Not in AA, but I incorporate parts of AA into my life. One day at a time.

whatever works man. congrats.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2016
    ok, I promised a story a couple pages back. Here goes.

When I started this thread I was in year 2. My step work to that point was minimal. Seemed it was just enough to allow me abstinence. Had little appreciation for the very good things I had in my life at that time. I was newly married, had a good job , making more than I ever had. I was miserable. The thread was started in part to kinda leach sobriety from folks here. I never expected or thought others might seek help for themselves as a result of posting. I was selfish.
    Not long after , in may of 09 my wife at the time said I need to talk to you. just about 3 1/2 months later the dissolution was finalized. I was devastated. I made the decision during the brief separation I wanted something better for myself than I had been getting in AA. So I worked the steps again. This time more fully as they are suggested. I was walking through the most intense emotional time of my life. It hit me hard. I had more relief from the steps but I hurt and hurt bad. Some around me then couldnt believe I was still sober. But i had made a promise to myself when the separation first happened , that I wasn't running from this. That I was going to stand and take it as it came. It sucked big time. Turned out to be the best thing thats ever happened FOR me.

On Sept 9 of that year I received a PM. A member had read the thread through at that point and determined he might have a problem with alcohol. He was a Brit, living in Poland. It forced me into the book , to give him a more textbook interpretation , rather than my personal opinion. Very helpful to me in that regard. Him too. Over the course of the next 7 years and counting , we would "meet" sometimes here via PM, sometimes on FB chat , or other times via Skype or other video chats. He is the only one I really "sponsor" right now. That was in part due to my work as a truck driver and also because none have really asked. I do try to be as helpful and attentive to what is said during meetings. I am often given a different insight than others about an underlying issue relative to the actual topic a person may bring up. It works for me.

What strikes me the most about all of this is how mysterious and fascinating the universe is in this. How is it exactly, that I an average drunken crackhead in Columbus Ohio can connect with someone half way around the world and we can find the common ground necessary for each of us to stay sober and live fuller , richer lives as a result? That former member has started a meeting in his town for english speakers. Its 5 or 6 years on now? The Inside Job Group. In my small way I had a hand in helping that group. Utterly amazing to me and I stand in awe and wonder at it all. Still.

For those who may or think they may have a problem with drugs and or alcohol, truly, you do not have to live that way any longer if you dont want to . AA or another more appropriate 12 step program can help you. But its also not the only way to freedom. We see that here. I see that elsewhere too. we understand you because we have been there. Some of the finer details may be different , but we have walked in your shoes. However you may choose to seek the help that should be available to all who seek it, you are most certainly welcome here.

Thanks for "listening"
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

I don't know if these random connections are indeed random - just a result of happenstance - or if some element of fate is involved. Yet, no matter how, what profound effects they've had on our lives. Incredible, wonderful effects.

I can only imagine the steel it took for you to get through, to still get through.

Thank you for a beautifully honest post.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    noticed this thread and saw a post a page or two back, and I have an honest, NOT JUDGMENTAL, question for whomever wishes to answer: why is a higher power such an integral part of the process? what does a god or spiritual being have to do with getting sober? this is something I've always wondered, especially after that Seinfeld episode.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

noticed this thread and saw a post a page or two back, and I have an honest, NOT JUDGMENTAL, question for whomever wishes to answer: why is a higher power such an integral part of the process? what does a god or spiritual being have to do with getting sober? this is something I've always wondered, especially after that Seinfeld episode.

Ok, as an alcoholic and a drug addict, I was powerless to stop on my own. I was compelled, day after day , year after year to chase the next one. So the theory is, I would need a power greater than or outside of , myself to help me. Now what this power consists of ,be it a God of whatever religious faith or other spiritual entity or practice ( think buddhism) is entirely up to the individual. For me personally I draw from the natural world and my place in it as that power greater than myself. ( prior to sobriety I saw no place where I fit in the natural order of things you know? I felt alien to this world). Also the power contained in the actions taken of the 12 steps itself . I am amongst a group of people who individually could not get or stay sober on their own. Collectively , we can get and stay sober. So theres power in that , that I do not possess of myself.

Of course its true that a 12 step program is not the end all be all in getting or staying sober. There are innumerable ways for that to occur. What I have found though , is that this method works for me. Provided I am willing to put the work in and decline the first drink or drug. That is after all the one that gets ME every time. The first one.

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

I can only answer for
    Myself.. but for me it's about being able to truly "let go " of all the crap ghost messed me up in the first place. There is a freedom not found in any
    Other system. But in the day to day. Those moments that make me question myself, toI know I can ask God for the strength to get through. Putting my faith in God to get me through, versus my
    'Faith' on that drink, is comforting; and encouraging, because I truly believe He wants us to be happy.

That's my perspective.

I can only answer for
    Myself.. but for me it's about being able to truly "let go " of all the crap ghost messed me up in the first place. There is a freedom not found in any
    Other system. But in the day to day. Those moments that make me question myself, toI know I can ask God for the strength to get through. Putting my faith in God to get me through, versus my
    'Faith' on that drink, is comforting; and encouraging, because I truly believe He wants us to be happy.

That's my perspective.
    I feel the need to preface my questions with this, as I know it is a sensitive subject, and don't want to come across as an ass, my questions are not meant to be a "challenge" (being atheist/agnostic-I'm still not sure-lol) I'm just honestly curious:

did you believe in god prior to getting sober, or was it a by product of the process?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

No. I have always known there is a God. After so
    Many crazy instances where you should be dead, and it just makes sense to ne that there must be someone/ something out there watching out for me..My getting sober was after I had left church and God behind for many years, and one day, I
    Just broke. I was sitting in a room FILLED with empty liquor bottles, and beer cans. I smelled like a swill, just lost my sweet job, and got into a terrible fight with my sister.. I finally asked God to help me. But that required my getting away from everyone and everything outside of church.. That was the process that worked for me. I attend a bible
    Based 12 program called Most Excellent Way. I have been attending for two and a half years. Outside of some pot here and there, I have been sober for two and a half years.

I answered this as honestly as you asked your question. I really can't explain why the higher power part is so heavily presented. I DO know this started as a Christian based teaching. ( the original 12 step program cited God, and God alone, Eventually the te higher power got thrown in to include all faiths and beliefs)

I can only tell you why believing in God is what works for me. I cannot convince you to believe in Him. All I CAN do is live my life in such a way, that the difference between the jack ass I was WITHOUT God in my life, and LIVING for Him, is brilliant and obvious. ( I know that I have NOT been a very
    Good witness of my faith, so take this as you will).

And I think the higher power part of the program is there to kind of force the mind to let go of things, Shen
    You truly let go of the things that are causing the need for escape, you are able to face things with a confidence ( that often doesn't feel bold or confident), that you give up when
    You hide in your addiction. Giving things to God, letting go and letting God, is powerful.. But not everyone believes in God. You have to find a power that moves you.. One builds you
    Up, and gives you strength.

Sorry if this post was confusing.
    FYI there are numerous Atheists who have found recovery in the rooms of AA.

mickeyrat said:

but don't you have to admit to there being a higher power?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

No. I have always known there is a God. After so
    Many crazy instances where you should be dead, and it just makes sense to ne that there must be someone/ something out there watching out for me..My getting sober was after I had left church and God behind for many years, and one day, I
    Just broke. I was sitting in a room FILLED with empty liquor bottles, and beer cans. I smelled like a swill, just lost my sweet job, and got into a terrible fight with my sister.. I finally asked God to help me. But that required my getting away from everyone and everything outside of church.. That was the process that worked for me. I attend a bible
    Based 12 program called Most Excellent Way. I have been attending for two and a half years. Outside of some pot here and there, I have been sober for two and a half years.

I answered this as honestly as you asked your question. I really can't explain why the higher power part is so heavily presented. I DO know this started as a Christian based teaching. ( the original 12 step program cited God, and God alone, Eventually the te higher power got thrown in to include all faiths and beliefs)

I can only tell you why believing in God is what works for me. I cannot convince you to believe in Him. All I CAN do is live my life in such a way, that the difference between the jack ass I was WITHOUT God in my life, and LIVING for Him, is brilliant and obvious. ( I know that I have NOT been a very
    Good witness of my faith, so take this as you will).

And I think the higher power part of the program is there to kind of force the mind to let go of things, Shen
    You truly let go of the things that are causing the need for escape, you are able to face things with a confidence ( that often doesn't feel bold or confident), that you give up when
    You hide in your addiction. Giving things to God, letting go and letting God, is powerful.. But not everyone believes in God. You have to find a power that moves you.. One builds you
    Up, and gives you strength.

Sorry if this post was confusing.

thanks WH. i appreciate it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

sorry, i'm not trying to take away from the purpose of this thread. i am just always curious about spirituality in humans and how it comes about in different settings.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2016

mickeyrat said:

no.Not neccesarily. Or rather in the terms or definition I think you are thinking of. My post above tree's points to that. But there are no rules to this Hugh. Only suggestions. Whats laid out as suggestion is what the first 100 or so did. Thats all the book is an accounting of what they did and the results gained. We are free to incorporate all or some to our understanding and desires.

Another aspect to the HP concept is the humility involved. Being humble is in my opinion a crucial virtue to this thing or in life in general.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

no. there are no rules to this Hugh. Only suggestions. Whats laid out as suggestion is what the first 100 or so did. Thats all the book is an accounting of what they did and the results gained. We are free to incorporate all or some to our understanding and desires.

Another aspect to the HP concept is the humility involved. Being humble is in my opinion a crucial virtue to this thing or in life in general.
    interesting. i didn't know that. i thought you had to follow and complete the 12 steps. my ignorance. my bad.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

no. there are no rules to this Hugh. Only suggestions. Whats laid out as suggestion is what the first 100 or so did. Thats all the book is an accounting of what they did and the results gained. We are free to incorporate all or some to our understanding and desires.

interesting. i didn't know that. i thought you had to follow and complete the 12 steps. my ignorance. my bad.
    well , if you want to follow the template of the steps as they are suggested , you then can have a check on your work in the results as written, you know? But there isnt a progress checklist that everyone sees or something along those lines. This is a complete individual proposition, done together as it were.My first 3 years ,, I half assed the steps and was able to maintain the desire to stay abstinent. I wasnt very happy or even content during that time. So , in my experience , while its possible, its not the better path.

I hear it all the time , folks wanting to do this perfectly. Which to start is false and in IMO impossible , being a fallible being., enough blackouts or even one , your 4th step will be incomplete by that standard.

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

no.Not neccesarily. Or rather in the terms or definition I think you are thinking of. My post above tree's points to that. But there are no rules to this Hugh. Only suggestions. Whats laid out as suggestion is what the first 100 or so did. Thats all the book is an accounting of what they did and the results gained. We are free to incorporate all or some to our understanding and desires.

Another good point.
    stressful time the holidays. check your local intergroup for alcathons and the like.

theres 2 in my area that go from xmas day through to new years day. 24 hrs a day. meetings every 2 hrs or so. "staffed" by volunteers from the area groups. often theres food.

if you need somewhere to go or are looking for areas of service opportunities, this is a good fit.

Be safe, be warm, stay sober and enjoy each moment as it presents itself.

happy holidays.

www.aa.org links to intergroup offices nationally.

Cheers to you, mickey. I hope you and others on similar paths get through with peace and lightness of soul.
    Thank you as always for the reminder Mickey! Yes, stay connected.. it makes a world of difference having that support!
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    you're a good guy mr. mickeyrat
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    A thinking of my brother bump.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

A thinking of my brother bump.

:hug:
    closing out the day of 11 yrs clean and sober.....

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle