U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Fuck!!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Awful. Why the fuck would Klinsmann try out a new formation against Mexico?!? So stupid. Brutal to lose it late like that...no one marked that guy off the corner. That was way too easy for Mexico.

And now they go to Costa Rica. Getting a point there would be huge. But that's unlikely.

Awful. Why the fuck would Klinsmann try out a new formation against Mexico?!? So stupid. Brutal to lose it late like that...no one marked that guy off the corner. That was way too easy for Mexico.

And now they go to Costa Rica. Getting a point there would be huge. But that's unlikely.

Such a stupid move. Why tinker, especially with a constrained squad due to injuries? The first half was as good as Mexico has played in a very long time apparently. The 2nd was a great half of soccer until that lapse.

Bradley absolutely fucking blows. Took a terrible 20 yard shot in a 2 on 1 after Wood laid it off and if he had given to back to a WIDE open Wood breaking into the box rather than his shitty shot, Wood has his 2nd of the game and they are up 2-1

Pulisic had a rough first half, played better in the second. Crazy how he is always part of the game. Sound heavy touches throughout though. Still a decent game.

Check out that Men In Blazers Pulisic video if you haven't had a chance yet.
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    What an awful goal to give up there right before HT. US had played an OK half prior to that. Just brutal.
    Absolutely embarrassing effort last night. On the road in Costa Rica is tough, but that was really bad. That team has quit on Klinsmann. He needs to be fired. That disaster against Mexico and his constantly playing guys out of position. Any other country that qualifies for the WC regularly like the US does would fire their coach in this situation. Next qualifier isn't until March so this is the perfect time to do it.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

Absolutely embarrassing effort last night. On the road in Costa Rica is tough, but that was really bad. That team has quit on Klinsmann. He needs to be fired. That disaster against Mexico and his constantly playing guys out of position. Any other country that qualifies for the WC regularly like the US does would fire their coach in this situation. Next qualifier isn't until March so this is the perfect time to do it.

I didn't see the game..only the lowlights..but this sounds spot on..a change is needed and I'm not a klinsmann hater.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    So why hasn't Klinsmann been fired yet?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Good question. I even started hearing rumors about Arena being on standby. I think based on Klinsmann's experimental (and failed) formation against Mexico in a meaningful game, he needs to be shit canned right away. Based on the Costa Rica game, I think it is clear that the players aren't responding to him anymore. They completely lost confidence in him and clearly were questioning his tactics during the Mexico fiasco. I was a Klinsi fan but he's had enough time and simply hasn't produced. Not sure I want to see Arena again, but it is definitely time for a change while we still have a path out of this hex.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

Good question. I even started hearing rumors about Arena being on standby. I think based on Klinsmann's experimental (and failed) formation against Mexico in a meaningful game, he needs to be shit canned right away. Based on the Costa Rica game, I think it is clear that the players aren't responding to him anymore. They completely lost confidence in him and clearly were questioning his tactics during the Mexico fiasco. I was a Klinsi fan but he's had enough time and simply hasn't produced. Not sure I want to see Arena again, but it is definitely time for a change while we still have a path out of this hex.
    Klinsman should be canned no doubt but the blame has to be on the players..
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Wma31394 said:

jeffbr said:

Oh, definitely. They're the ones out on the field, and they need to execute. My problem with Klinsmann, though, is that he put them in a position to fail vs. Mexico when he started messing with the formation. The players clearly weren't comfortable with this, and it showed. In fact, they were so uncomfortable, I thought there might be a mutiny during the game until they switched back to something they're more comfortable and familiar with. It just wasn't the right time for a manager to make a change like that. But ultimately you're right. The players really need to step up. Bradley needs to be a leader out there. None of our players looked like they belonged on a national team vs Costa Rica. They all looked like scrubs.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Wma31394 said:

jeffbr said:

I agree to a point, but like jeffbr stated, Klinsmann is not putting them in the best position to win. Constantly playing guys out of position where they aren't comfortable and that ridiculous formation he came out with against Mexico. Any other country where soccer is a big deal and he would have been fired immediately after the Costa Rica game. Will be interesting to see if Gulati has the balls to fire the guy that he spent so much time chasing after.

Wma31394 said:

jeffbr said:

I agree to a point, but like jeffbr stated, Klinsmann is not putting them in the best position to win. Constantly playing guys out of position where they aren't comfortable and that ridiculous formation he came out with against Mexico. Any other country where soccer is a big deal and he would have been fired immediately after the Costa Rica game. Will be interesting to see if Gulati has the balls to fire the guy that he spent so much time chasing after.
    I do agree with everything you guys say..i just don't think we have the talent..sure we show signs and with pulisic things look bright (For him) but overall the guys are the same as I can always remember since the early 90s..a bunch of mediocre soccer players. I believe klinsman showed them the right way to play soccer since i think he knows the game...they just can't produce against elite talent.
    So long, Jurgen. Didn't think they would have the balls to do it. Sounds like Bruce Arena will be taking over.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/21/jurgen-klinsmann-fired-usmnt-manager-us-soccer-sunil-gulati?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

So long, Jurgen. Didn't think they would have the balls to do it. Sounds like Bruce Arena will be taking over.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/11/21/jurgen-klinsmann-fired-usmnt-manager-us-soccer-sunil-gulati?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

He gone...bruce really?? I was hoping for a more international choice.
    Wma31394 said:

Sounds like Arena is the guy. Seems like a safe choice...but I think that's what they need right now.
    edited November 2016

Wma31394 said:

Sounds like Arena is the guy. Seems like a safe choice...but I think that's what they need right now.
    What is this his 3rd or 4th stint with the national team? I just feel like they are spinning wheels.
    edited November 2016
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

What is this his 3rd or 4th stint with the national team? I just feel like they are spinning wheels.
    Would be his 2nd stint. He'll get them qualified for the world cup which is all that matters right now. Arena is 65 years old so he's probably not a long term coach. Would imagine he'll stick through the 2018 world cup cycle.

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Would be his 2nd stint. He'll get them qualified for the world cup which is all that matters right now. Arena is 65 years old so he's probably not a long term coach. Would imagine he'll stick through the 2018 world cup cycle.
    Well that will be up to the players to get them there..not sure the mls brand of soccer he will teach will be enough..but without anyone in my mind available he is a safe choice
    Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Wma31394 said:

Well that will be up to the players to get them there..not sure the mls brand of soccer he will teach will be enough..but without anyone in my mind available he is a safe choice
    So does Lando now some back?
    48 team World Cup???? Crazy.

Grant Wahl makes great points in here as it relates to the U.S. Qualifying is going to turn into an absolute joke for U.S. Soccer....they don't play enough competitive games against solid competition as it is and now CONCACAF world cup qualifying is going to become a breeze...as usual, all FIFA cares about is money.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/01/10/fifa-world-cup-expansion-48-teams-2026-gianni-infantino?xid=socialflow_twitter_si
    Ah, shit, forgot I had the boot when the Klinsman stuff went down.

Me? I hate it. Klinsman is clearly not the long term answer at this point, but what in the hell is the point of Arena?!?! Been there, done that. Awful. Let Klinsman continue to push people overseas rather than someone who has spent his career in the US and MLS. Screw that.

Terrible direction.

Me? I hate it. Klinsman is clearly not the long term answer at this point, but what in the hell is the point of Arena?!?! Been there, done that. Awful. Let Klinsman continue to push people overseas rather than someone who has spent his career in the US and MLS. Screw that.

Terrible direction.

I agree..

Terrible direction.

I'm not crazy about them hiring Arena either, but no way they could have kept Klinsmann around after the way they performed in those 2 qualifiers in November. I guess if you're going to bring in someone in the middle of a world cup qualifying cycle, it doesn't hurt for it to be someone who has coached the national team before. I don't know....either way, it's not ideal.
    HOLY FUCK THE END OF THE BARCELONA GAME!
    So pulisic not only started a champions league game and scored a goal, but was the best player on the field today. God damn

Unreal..
    Wma31394 said:

Unreal..
    I put it on watch ESPN after the 4th goal at something like 88 minutes. Just insane

So pulisic not only started a champions league game and scored a goal, but was the best player on the field today. God damn

Crazy. 18 year old American starting in the 2nd leg of a champions league knockout round game.