Blank Discussion Topic

PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
edited April 2017 in Musicians and Gearheads
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I can hear something but no idea what it is..thanks for notice this PJF..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Probably a little reverb echo
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Self-oscillating delay would be my guess. I'll try to listen more closely later.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:

Self-oscillating delay would be my guess. I'll try to listen more closely later.

Thank you very much.
    I am not a musician and can barely play a bongo but after researching what self-oscillating delay was that is it!
    I am fascinated by how sound is heard. That 1second in MYM is perfectly planted and seems like it should be there.
    How does one know to put a quick sound in like that? Does Mike do that or does the soundboard add it. Because if Mike does that while playing he truly has lightning quick hands. I hear new sounds in their music years later all the time with this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzSIfV6NH0

An in this one :50 - :55 is pretty close to what I hear in MYM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsfNrJMknE
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

What is that sound at 2:30 in Mind Your Manners.
    It only lasts for 1 second. It sounds like a very quick siren whip.
    I know I am not hearing things and hope you hear it too.

no, you are correct.

it is a siren whip
  • rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    haha. somebody had to do it... :star:
    I use self-oscillation from a Boss DM-2 Analog Delay sometimes. There's nothing quite like it
    There's also some cool use of this effect towards the end of the guitar solo on "Slip Away" from the Mad Season Deluxe Reissue .
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    i don't understand... do you mean the slided note with delay? or is there something I'm missing?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    ehbacon said:

i don't understand... do you mean the slided note with delay? or is there something I'm missing?

I don't think so. I'm not hearing any oscillation either. Slip Away, as mentioned above and lotsa of Black solos where Mike goes crazy with it. Sleight of Hand has some really cool delay time manipulation with long trails.
    In MYM, it sounds like the oscillation is being blended in with a blend loop pedal. Sort of like how someone would use a volume pedal for quick swells.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.
  • Well at least 1 second of that song is interesting
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young