Calexit

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
California to form own country?

Wait, didn't Texas want to do this? Weren't they called racist?

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
Social Security

Comments

• ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    More reasons:
    Electricity and water used for Southern Cal that comes from the Colorado River outside the state. California goes bye-bye, that goes bye-bye
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited November 2016
    yeah once medicare, social security, unemployment, and all other services are cut watch them come crawling back hahaha...they cant even take care of themselves now...you think they are rioting now just wait till all those services have no funding

Texas was shown that they could actually provide for themselves....ill need to find backing on that
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

3. would cause a civil war. That's what happened last time states tried to leave.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    pjalive21 said:

yeah once medicare, social security, unemployment, and all other services are cut watch them come crawling back hahaha...they cant even take care of themselves now...you think they are rioting now just wait till all those services have no funding

Texas was shown that they could actually provide for themselves....ill need to find backing on that

I would be interested to read what you can find regarding the possibility of Texas being able to be self-sufficient. The interdependency of the states (in Canada the provinces) and the federal government is such that that's hard to believe.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    cut off there water from Nevada and burn Hollywood burn, lol
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I imagine if there was serious effort, the leaders pushing it would be taken in for treason.

But it just isn't feasible.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

3. would cause a civil war. That's what happened last time states tried to leave.
    Liberals insist that the civil war was fought over slavery.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

And why did the southern states try to leave?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    It was dumb when it was Texas and it's dumb this time too.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

Southern way of life and state s rights. It was a war of secession, it was not a war about slavery. Northern soldiers were fighting to preserve the union, not to stop slavery.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Can't help but shake my head and laugh that people are still arguing about the causes of the Civil War, though from the way we're going I suspect people will still be arguing about the reasons Trump won in 150 years.

Can't help but shake my head and laugh that people are still arguing about the causes of the Civil War, though from the way we're going I suspect people will still be arguing about the reasons Trump won in 150 years.

So in your opinion, what are the causes of the American civil war?
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

Southern way of life and state s rights. It was a war of secession, it was not a war about slavery. Northern soldiers were fighting to preserve the union, not to stop slavery.
    Hmmm I wonder what was it about that southern way of life that was so threatened they had to leave the union?
    Hmmmm I wonder what state's rights were in jeopardy?
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

mace1229 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

Hmmm I wonder what was it about that southern way of life that was so threatened they had to leave the union?
    Hmmmm I wonder what state's rights were in jeopardy?
    The south seceded for it s way of life and states right. At that point the north could have cared less but instead fought to restore the union. The north didn't give a rats ass about fighting for slavery, it was all about restoring the union.
    "Way of life" and "state's rights" are just euphemisms for slavery.
    rgambs said:

But you re missing the point, no one in the north was fighting to end slavery. It was a war of secession.
    rgambs said:

And slavery was the straw that broke the camel's back because the southern states believed in states rights. In their eyes, what was next?
    Yes, it was a war of succession...succession over slavery.
    edited November 2016
    rgambs said:

Yes, it was a war of succession...succession over slavery.

Secession, Not succession. And again, it was not about slavery in the north. It was about bringing the country back together.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    Yes, it was a war for preserving the union. Peserving the union that was being torn apart by slavery.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

pjalive21 said:

I would be interested to read what you can find regarding the possibility of Texas being able to be self-sufficient. The interdependency of the states (in Canada the provinces) and the federal government is such that that's hard to believe.
    You need to discuss this in Quebec...there are many there who feel they can survive on their own, of course I believe they've just used separation tactics as blackmail...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    The stupid fucking quotes...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

edited November 2016
    lukin2006 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

pjalive21 said:

You need to discuss this in Quebec...there are many there who feel they can survive on their own, of course I believe they've just used separation tactics as blackmail...
    Yes, that's why I was interested in an analysis of potential Texas independence. Nothing's been posted, though.

I have no doubt that some genuinely believe that Quebec can survive on its own but personally I doubt it.
    Post edited by oftenreading on

lukin2006 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

pjalive21 said:

Yes, that's why I was interested in an analysis of potential Texas independence. Nothing's been posted, though.

I have no doubt that some genuinely believe that Quebec can survive on its own but personally I doubt it.
    Agreed...

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

lukin2006 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

pjalive21 said:

quebec, maybe, but it would cripple the maritime provinces.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited November 2016
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

unsung said:

Never going to happen.

Two reasons:

Medicare
    Social Security

pjalive21 said:

Agreed...
    i still find it utterly hilarious that the bloc quebecois is considered a federal party and given a table before the green party. such idiocy.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    LOL

Typical liberal California. They want to dictate how everyone should live and abandon the US until they need other people's money. Get bent.

http://fox40.com/2017/02/10/governor-jerry-brown-asks-president-for-storm-help/
    It was idiotic when it was Texas, it's idiotic now that it's California.
    At least California has something to offer the world though, what does Texas have to offer?
    rgambs said:

It was idiotic when it was Texas, it's idiotic now that it's California.
    At least California has something to offer the world though, what does Texas have to offer?

What does Texas have to do with any of this? Nothing.

Funny California wanted out because Trump won the election, now they are begging for his help.