Wikileaks founder Julian Assange

alivegirlalivegirl Posts: 124
edited May 2010 in A Moving Train
Read a very interesting article on Julian Assange today, the guy behind wikileaks.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/keepe ... -w230.html

Just wanted to share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    alivegirl wrote:
    Read a very interesting article on Julian Assange today, the guy behind wikileaks.

Just wanted to share.
    Cool, thanks!
    I first saw wikilinks when someone posted the Iraq helicopter video....

They're like cyber robin hood hero hackers... I like their style.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    alivegirl wrote:

Just wanted to share.

i read the same article in the SMH.

i maintain the same level of caution with mr assange as i do anyone who keeps secrets.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Assange
    Dead, alive in embassy, alive at black site?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    JC29856 said:

Assange
    Dead, alive in embassy, alive at black site?

what?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    reportedly Julian Assange

JA:Ok, We'll try and do this, um this is the uhh the first time that I have spoken to people outside the Embassy since my internet was cut off. It's a bit unusual for me to do an interview by telephone but I like a challenge so we're going to try and do it.

JA:First of all um thank you to the Computer Workers' Union who put this event together and organized it, I see that quite a lot of Universities involved in Argentina, uh it's interesting to see people here, quite nice actually, the support for the Free Software movement and the ideals that I have fought for a long time, by the government of Argentina and other institutions within Argentina.

Panel: Mr Julian Give us just a minute to explain to the Public here what is happening, exactly. Could you give us a minute?

JA:Ok Well

Panel: Thanks

JA:First of all let me, let me just introduce myself. Uh My name is Julian Assange I am the editor, founder and publisher uh of Wikileaks. I have uh a technical training, I taught myself programming when I was 13, I became a computer hacker, explorer of the world when I was quite young, uh, from Australia. And developed a lot of free software and different projects, became a systems administrator, started my own internet service in Australia, and Writing cryptography programs to protect people and their privacy from spying, written books about that type of thing and studied the NSA and eventually theoretical physics and decided that actually I wanted to try and bring about more education and justice in the world and the easiest way so .....

Panel: Bueno, --- etc

JA:(Static) Ok Uhh I'm instructed ... programmers behind it and the people and instutions ... courageous people uh ... and alot of conflict, we publish on average 1 million secret docs per year for the last 10 years and of that time, 6 years I've been detained without charge here in the UK and for 4 years in this embassy, the embassy in london where ecuador gave me asylum the idea being to then go to ecuador but the embassy was then surrounded by police--

Panel: Police--

JA: -- Under siege by the british of the embassy for the last 4 years, by that they say the've spent over $20m in spying equipment, that is outside the embassy, plainclothes police and so on.

JA: now just recently we started our series on the us election which is extremely interesting about how the power networks in DC operates particularly around HRC who has been there many many years because she was the wife of bill clinton and the lobbyists and campaigners that work for her like John Podesta. So our first big leak in that series was the DNC leaks, as a result of that publishing in JUly the top 5 officials of the Democratic Party resigned including its president Debbie Wasserman Schultz

JA: Uh the Democratic Primary election between HRC and Bernie Sanders principally had been rigged in favor of HRC by the committee that runs the US Democratic party in many different wasy including pushing out fake stories that Bernie Sanders supporters were trying to organize violence, making sure more of the money went to HRC and so on.
    JA: When we released those 20k emails we did it in a way that we've become famous for which is to make a customized search engine to search them essentially quite hard to make a search engine to display and search through email because there's so many broken mail standards in mail programs so it's quite a lot of work and it encouraged all the people in the US and some outside the US who were interested in the election to sort through them. This punched a hole in the media censorship that exists in the US by the top TV networks and about 8 of the 9 major publications in the US are biased in favor of HRC.

JA: So in response there was many attacks and the US DC establishment which believe HRC will be the winner of the election tried to find different wasy to distract from our publication. They first of all tried to say that we supported Donald Trump because we were criticizing HRC. Then they tried to say that actually we were secretly working with RUssia to publish this material which was criticizing her and thsi was some kind of cyber warfare against the US.

JA: What I've heard from people with experience with these sort of attacks is the best way to deal with it is to never flinch, you neve rblink .You just keep on publishing because every day you publish is another day you have the initiave in the conflict.

JA: So we continued on publishing the emails of Hillary Clintons uh chief campaign manager which are even more politically interesting than the emails of the DNC. I have been exploring what was the connection between HRC and her campaign manager and the sale of 20% of all US uranium to RUssia through a company in the US called JEwel Limited and that was very interesting that we showed that uh clintons campaign manager had been lyhing about his investments in this Nuclear energy company and he's very closely connected with a big Canadian mining magnate and that he had 75,000 shares in this company and that he moved it into another company secretly controlled by his daughter and so on but much more important was that in the investigation we managed to get ahold of more than 50K emails related to HRC's chief campaign manager John Podesta.

JA: So this time we started a different strategy which was to write an algorithm called a Stochastic Terminator which is designed to be unpredictable and to adjust how much it publishes and what it selects based upon what we as human beings suggest to it but also based upon what it reads in the news. So it selects the emails to be published and publishes them each day and we started doing that on the 7th of October

JA: And this really whipped up a crazed hornets nest atmosphere in the HRC campaign and in all the establishment that are backing her. Now we always had the analysis that HRC would win for sure, we've had that analysis from more than 12 months ago but she has pooled around her every single establishment in the US. The inteliigence agencies, the neoconservatives that started the Iraq war, the weapons manufacturers, the big banks, invenstment companies like Goldman Sachs, most of the middle class and most of the media, and so, now we have all these people in these establishments trying to defend HRC from being exposed as having many corrupt relationships.
    JA: So they started attacking our servers with DOS attacks, and attempted hacking attacks. There was a, there IS an amazing ongoing campaign where fake documents were put in the US and the British courts to accuse me of both being a Russian spy and a pedophile, a molester of children.

JA: You can look up that amazing story that we tracked down about how this hoax was made in the US and British courts to call me a Russian spy and a pedophile, by a front company in the US in Texas called Todd And Claire.

JA: But that wasn't enough so the pressure started to increase and started to pressure Ecuador, which some of the opposition parties in Ecuador were sympathetic to, perhaps because of their relationships with the US, and pressure, statements made to Ecuador at the political level and the intelligence level that I needed to be stopped or that there would be consequences.

JA: But um, Wikileaks is a global publisher, publishes 1m documents a year. We publish from France, Germany, several, Norway, Holland, several other countries and we have most of our lawyers and staff in the EU and the US. We don't publish from Ecuador, no particular reason, just the bandwidth is cheaper and the servers are cheaper than in Ecuador.

JA: So the US and Hillary, the US Government in the form of John Kerry, the Secretary of State, some other US officials and the HRC campaign, kept putting forth propaganda to say that our publications revealing various forms of corruption and scandal within HRC's network was in fact interference in the US electoral process.

JA: But this isn't interference in the electoral process, this is the DEFINITION of the electoral process. It is for media organizations and in fact everyone to publish the truth and their opinions about what is occurring.

JA: There cannot be a free and informed election unless we are free to inform.

JA: So you basically have the Obama administration taking control of parts of the goverment and using the government to try and shut down critical true information being revealed and analyzed by Wikileaks, uh, being read by the American population.

JA: So now let's look at it fro Ecuadorian point of view. While I disagree that they didn't give me any notice about what was occuring, I did not like the, how it was done, I am very sympathetic to the concern that the Ecuadorian state has.

JA: Ecuador, like most states that are not empires, has a policy of non intervention in the interior processes, including elections, of other states

JA: Now, it makes perfect strategic sense why small states should have such a policy, because if they do not have such a policy, larger states can use that as the excuse to intervene in their affairs or their elections.

JA: So here we have a dilemna on one hand Wikileaks is a publisher that doesn't publish from Ecuador. And it is a publisher, its duty and obligation is to publish everything and anything that's true that it can get its hands on about a very important election that's occuring right now in the US.
    JA: On the other hand the TV networks in the US with the exception of Fox are controlled by clinton supporters and the US intelligence establishment which is also aligned to Clinton pushing statements before the public that Wikileaks publishing about the US elections is interference in the US elections which is false but nonetheless it is a claim that is being made very loudly in the US.

JA: And this claim, although false, could be used to legitimize the US interfering in Ecuador's election next year.

JA: Now of course we ACTUALLY publish from Germany, France, Holland, Norway and so on, the US has not as far as we're aware tried to apply significant country, pressure to those countries. But, I am a symbol as the ideological leader of Wikileaks, and that symbol is being protected as a political refugee by the state of Ecuador. So they think that they can go after the symbol and they think they can bully, or try to bully Ecuador because it is a state in Latin American that's not the size of Brazil.

JA: So we end up with a strategic position for Ecuador that the internet at the embassy is shut off until the end of the election so that Ecuador's policy of non-intervention cannot be mis-interpreted by actors in the US or even domestically in Ecuador

JA: Of course I don't agree with it but I understand it.

JA: And Ecuador has been strong, in otherwise in the first place and also continuing to resist quite strong pressure from the UK, US, and Sweden to cast me out into the streets to be arrested.

JA: And I just compare um what the government's position is, about half the opposition party's that's becoming the Ecuadorian legislation next year in February saying that they also would protect my asylum but about another half don't (Static) saying they would hand me over to be arrested despite the United Nations in February this year making a formal finding that i am legally correct in that I am being illegally detained by the UK

JA: But Wikileaks is a, you know you can ask what type of dog is a different company or an organization, and Wikileaks is one of these fighting dogs, that has a lot of energy, that runs around and loves to fight, does nothing more than fight. So when my internet was cut off of course we had long ago made contingency plans for exactly this situation so despite bombs raining down on us from statements from high officials, media and so on this is exactly the sort of situation we enjoy and there was not even a 1 day pause in publishing the next day even though I was cut off from my team.
    edited November 2016
    If US intelligence had anything on wikileaks or assange it would be front page news! I will say thou they are really really really trying hard to find it. LMAO. I hope those fbi agents were flown first class and brought their long undies.

Iceland kicked the FBI out of the country after learning the United States authorities lied to them about the purpose of their visit and were only there to gather information about WikiLeaks.

Ogmundur Jonasson, Iceland’s former minister of the interior, says he received an urgent message from the authorities in the United States saying that “there was an imminent attack on Icelandic government databases” by hackers, and that they would send FBI agents to investigate.

However upon their arrival it became apparent that there was no imminent attack and the FBI agents were only there to secretly gather intelligence on WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. “Eight or nine” FBI agents were then ordered to leave the country.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/iceland-kick-fbi-out-of-the-country/
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    edited November 2016
    Clinton and the Dems in power are desperate to silence this guy
    WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange stated that Hillary Clinton’s Clinton Foundation and the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIL/ISIS) are funded from the same sources. Trump wont be permitted to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ktchDCoLek&feature=youtu.be
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    tonifig8 said:

i don't know why you say they are desparate to silence him. nothing he has said or released has hurt clinton or her election chances.

my opinion is he is trying to deflect from his own reputation as a sexual predator.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    edited November 2016
    ...yeah he's doing all of this just for a cover up.
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

tonifig8 said:

i don't know why you say they are desparate to silence him. nothing he has said or released has hurt clinton or her election chances.

my opinion is he is trying to deflect from his own reputation as a sexual predator.
    Alleged. Probably manufactured charges.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

then why is he in hiding?

if he has nothing to fear, why is he being sheltered?

oh yeah that's right. because he is a wanted man by the united states.

but he is opposed to clinton so i guess he is a folk hero now.

pathetic.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.
    Pathetic would be calling yourself a progressive, but still support someone who is taking in money from foreign govts that are stoning women to death.

What you're saying about Assange is not true. And he has offered himself to the US in exchange for manning.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.
    Pathetic would be calling yourself a progressive, but still support someone who is taking in money from foreign govts that are stoning women to death.

What you're saying about Assange is not true. And he has offered himself to the US in exchange for manning.

We don't negotiate with terrorists.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

We don't negotiate with terrorists.
    You just elect them.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

So you prefer they keep the money to enrich their woman-stoning budget?
    Sounds progressive.

I prefer that money to be extracted and spent on families.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Hahaha!! What the fuck is this?!? Women are being stoned to death with fucking rocks! And this crooked politician is taking in truck loads of money from them. I've never heard a more out of touch response by a liberal
    tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Hahaha!! What the fuck is this?!? Women are being stoned to death with fucking rocks! And this crooked politician is taking in truck loads of money from them. I've never heard a more out of touch response by a liberal
    Distract and Deflect.

Would you prefer they keep their money and use it to stone women or would you prefer it be given to an A+ rated charity (for dubious reasons, sure) that specializes in helping women and their children?
    rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

Would you prefer they keep their money and use it to stone women or would you prefer it be given to an A+ rated charity (for dubious reasons, sure) that specializes in helping women and their children?
    Let me know if you want me to post a video of a women being stoned to death. Maybe you can tell us if that's more distract and deflect?

I'm sure clinton can clear her tears with the million Dollars they received for 5mins of their time. I'm sure that women in the video completely understands your logic.
    tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

Let me know if you want me to post a video of a women being stoned to death. Maybe you can tell us if that's more distract and deflect?

I'm sure clinton can clear her tears with the million Dollars they received for 5mins of their time. I'm sure that women in the video completely understands your logic.
    I don't understand why you can't answer the question. It's pretty simple.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    While the money goes to good use, it also is meant to protect the foreign regimes from undue US influence when the Clintons are in office. The effect of that is much worse than the benefit of a few million dollars going to Africa. Pay for play.
    rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

Awwwww the funds also went towards Chelsea's wedding.. What a beautiful wedding that was. No blood on that money. They got that from the 80 billion arms sale deals.

So sweeeeeet baby boo.

Progress
    tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

Awwwww the funds also went towards Chelsea's wedding.. What a beautiful wedding that was. No blood on that money. They got that from the 80 billion arms sale deals.

So sweeeeeet baby boo.

Progress
    Distort and distract?
    Can't answer a straight question with a straight answer? How very Clintonish of you!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

So sweeeeeet baby boo.

Progress
    Distort and distract?
    Can't answer a straight question with a straight answer? How very Clintonish of you!
    To be Clintonish there would have to be some blame on Russia in the answer.

HIllary: "Huma, where is the daily briefing for the President".

Huma: "The maid has it."

THis is our future president. Way to go America.

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

tonifig8 said:

unsung said:

tonifig8 said:

pathetic.

Sounds progressive.

Distract and Deflect.

So sweeeeeet baby boo.

Progress
    Distort and distract?
    To be Clintonish there would have to be some blame on Russia in the answer.

HIllary: "Huma, where is the daily briefing for the President".

Huma: "The maid has it."

THis is our future president. Way to go America.
    That's a whole lot of sarcasm there. Very funny.

To paraphrase what Brian said... I can understand the whole anti-trump thing, but how can anyone be proud to support this politician.

Especially progressives.

This discussion has been closed.