Options

Turntable/Receiver/Speaker recommendations?

drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
Greetings jammers and fellow vinyl enthusiasts!

I'm looking to put together a decent turntable system on about a $1,000 budget. I had a cheaper lower-end record player I got rid of a few years back and am ready to upgrade. I've been pricing out some individual components, as well as looking at a couple of decently rated all-in-one systems and welcome your input and suggestions!

I'm probably not what you would call a "hardcore audiophile", but I have some older vinyl records from the 60's-70's I've had for many years, and have been adding to my vinyl collection of newer music more recently (obviously the PJ catalogue and other related bands!) My father also recently passed away and I inherited about 50-60 of his 45's (Beatles, Beach Boys, some old R&B/Motown stuff.) I don't really "blast" my music, so 'm not looking for anything crazy big or overly loud/powerful; basically something that will be in my bedroom with some bookshelf type speakers that will provide a decent vinyl-listening experience. I'm also a musician and I own some studio-quality headphones which I tend to listen to my music with a majority of the time as well. I've come across a few used vintage receivers that look to be pretty good deals, which I'm considering, but would prefer to go with at least a new turntable and speakers with some warranty protection.

I appreciate your feedback - thanks and have a great weekend!
Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)

Comments

• Options
    photo IMG_3084_zpsyflqmv1j.jpg

So this is what I bought.

Pro-Ject carbon debut with the acrylic platter upgrade. $550

Pioneer vintage 8500II amp $300

Pioneer vintage 8500II reciever $100

Sony disc changer $100

Pioneer vintage HPM-100 speakers $500

Martin Logan 15 speakers $800

The pro-ject is great. Wonderful turntable that you can upgrade. Whatever you buy make sure that you can upgrade the components if needed.

The Martin Logan speakers are superb if you want modern. The sound that comes out of these really is amazing.

I bought the receiver with the intention of getting the pioneer spekers eventually, which I did. Those speakers were built to be paired with the system. Together they sound amazing. There is something to be said about a big damn speaker that you can feel.

Hope this helps a little.

• Options
    Looks like a nice setup!

So after reviewing several turntables, amps, and speakers - both new and a few vintage pieces I saw on my local craigslist - I ended up purchasing a bundle system that included a Pro-Ject Turntable and a pair of powered Klipsch speakers. My local Fry's had it in store for $799, but did a price match for $639 that several online retailers had it for. I also got a 10" Klipsch sub to complete it and added a cork mat to the platter.

Set it up last night, put "No Code" on, and was blown away! As soon as 'Sometimes' started up, it sounded like Ed was sitting right there singing it! This setup was right in my budget and the powered speakers put out plenty of volume for my listening environment. They are super clean sounding, have a built-in phono amp input, and the nice thing about it is that if at some point I do decide to move into a separate amp and bigger speakers, I can use these in my home recording studio. I'd definitely recommend this package to anyone looking to start a new setup from scratch that doesn't want to spend several thousand dollars right off the bat.

:)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Very Nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Good call on adding the sub. The Klipsch speakers I have owned were all a little shy in the low end when placed in a larger room.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    don't rush - look on craigslist and garage sales for good vintage gear
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030

don't rush - look on craigslist and garage sales for good vintage gear

Best advice ever! Be patient, and you'll find some gems.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Even though I just started this thread last week, I've actually been researching and pricing stuff out for a while now. I've looked at a lot of new equipment and read many reviews. I've also been to several garage sales, pawn shops, craigslist, etc. over the last several months - unfortunately the majority of what I came across was either overpriced or a restoration "project" I don't really have time for. The few decent items I did find, I did some research on, and it seemed that replacement parts/service were difficult to come by. My main goal was to get as quality a system as possible within my budget that would provide a solid listening experience. Obviously there's better stuff out there than what I got, but that's the thing - there will ALWAYS be something better. I'm very happy with what I got for what I spent. It will serve my needs...for at least the next few years anyway!

Thanks guys! :)