Welcome!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

No one's posted anything yet. It's like a 6th grade dance around here, everyones on the sidelines staring at each other.

I'm just waiting to find out what this space is actually for.....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Is this go discuss the philanthropy that the band is involved with?? Or those sort of things that WE are involved with?? Both?? Just another sub-forum?? Specify please, mods.

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    "Additionally, an ‘ACTS’ category has been added to the Forum for TEN CLUB members to discuss causes supported by the band."

https://pearljam.com/news/changes-to-pearl-jam-activism-updates
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    very nice pearl jam
    commendation to you all..
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Is this go discuss the philanthropy that the band is involved with?? Or those sort of things that WE are involved with?? Both?? Just another sub-forum?? Specify please, mods.

Wondered the very same thing, WH. Clarification, please!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    https://pearljam.com/acts/news/changes-to-pearl-jam-activism-updates-1472585979

Changes to Pearl Jam Activism Updates
    Effective September 1st
    Activism News August 30 2016

September 1, 2016 will be the last official day for the ‘Pearl Jam Activism’ Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.

In an effort to maximize our resources and streamline how information is shared, all news related to the band's activism + giving will be updated on Pearl Jam's website under the ‘ACTS' section. Additionally, an ‘ACTS’ category has been added to the Forum for Ten Club members to discuss causes supported by the band.

Please continue to follow the official Pearl Jam Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages for all things PJ!

Thank you for your interest and inspiration for PJ’s continued support of important social justice projects and notable nonprofits around the world.
    edited August 2016
    Okay, so this isn't for discussing or advancing our own activism, but only the band's own causes. Got it. (it would be nice if it were meant for our own activism as well, unrelated to the band!)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited August 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Okay, so this isn't for discussing or advancing our own activism, but only the band's own causes. Got it. (it would be nice if it were meant for our own activism as well, unrelated to the band!)

New forum description :)
    ACTS
    Stay up-to-date on the band's activism, giving projects, and news
    about their non-profit, the Vitalogy Foundation. Share your personal
    activism, giving, and projects with fellow fans and keep the
    ACTS of kindness coming!
    Post edited by Sea on
    Sea said:

PJ_Soul said:

ACTS
    ACTS of kindness coming!
    That is awesome, thank you so much for clarifying! :)
  • Great way to go
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Sea said:

PJ_Soul said:

ACTS
    ACTS of kindness coming!
    Well then!! I will! Thank you. :smiley:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    I'm probably doing Cycle for Survival in March to raise money to help beat rare cancers (I did it once before and it was great). Is this a place where I can post a thread asking for donations, or is this specially for PJs acts? Thanks!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Sea said:

PJ_Soul said:

ACTS
    ACTS of kindness coming!

I'm probably doing Cycle for Survival in March to raise money to help beat rare cancers (I did it once before and it was great). Is this a place where I can post a thread asking for donations, or is this specially for PJs acts? Thanks!

Hope that helps. PS. Love what you are doing! Keep it up!
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2016
    awesome as I didn't realize this forum section existed and it caught my eye by accident so I clicked it.
    This band and their fans inspire in so many ways and Activism is one of those ways.
    25 years in the books with each other...looking forward to what the next 25 years brings us as we look to help others in need including Operation Yellow Ribbon, Given to Live and many other PJ inspired nonprofits!
    -EV
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha, elway - was about to mention your and Tom's amazing individual - and, really, collective - work :)
  • Et vous avez besoin d'internet pour montrer au monde à quel point vous êtes des
    personnes charitables? Vous êtes actifs localement, vous aimez vos semblables, vous vous impliquez
    dans la communauté, vous essayez de faire bouger les choses, à votre niveau ... great.
    edited September 2016

Et vous avez besoin d'internet pour montrer au monde à quel point vous êtes des
    personnes charitables? Vous êtes actifs localement, vous aimez vos semblables, vous vous impliquez
    dans la communauté, vous essayez de faire bouger les choses, à votre niveau ... great.

I don't read too much French at all, but this seems like kind of criticism about using the Internet as a way to brag about charity????
    Do you have any idea how useful the Internet has been in getting good people involved and/or donating to charity? Locally, regionally, nationally, internationally.... I can't believe you basically had something negative to say about a place to discuss charitable work. And wouldn't even say it in English.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Amazingly, I understood this...well, got the gist of it.

(thanks to taking four years of French, years ago :) )

But yes...our positive actions can be generated from anywhere, can be large or small. I'm prone to the latter.
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't read too much French at all, but this seems like kind of criticism about using the Internet as a way to brag about charity????
    Do you have any idea how useful the Internet has been in getting good people involved and/or donating to charity? Locally, regionally, nationally, internationally.... I can't believe you basically had something negative to say about a place to discuss charitable work. And wouldn't even say it in English.
    They were too ashamed of what they were saying, to post in English. On that note, @elwoodDouds , what is the difference between then sharing these things on Instagram/Twitter, and here in their own site?
  • vjincovjinco Posts: 3

SVRDHAND13 ..... as someone fighting a rare cancer, I thank you!
  • joberto1217joberto1217 Asbury Park, NJ Posts: 9
    This is why I love this band so much. Makes me believe there is still good left in this world
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    THANKS
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
    edited February 2017
    Being inculcated by the amazing spirit of give bactivism of Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam fans was what partially inspired me to find a cause which always burns in my heart and soul and , quite often, has brought tears to my eyes. Since June, 2015, I have volunteered with Stand With Iraqi Christians. We provide assistance to Iraq's Christian community and , in one instance, also to several Yezidi families. I'll be returning on my third trip to Iraq in March or April. Below is a photo of IDP Camp at St. Maria's Coptic Orthodox Church in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq.

Post edited by Blind3 on
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Johan Cruijff
    Blind3 said:

Being inculcated by the amazing spirit of give bactivism of Pearl Jam and Pearl Jam fans was what partially inspired me to find a cause which always burns in my heart and soul and , quite often, has brought tears to my eyes. Since June, 2015, I have volunteered with Stand With Iraqi Christians. We provide assistance to Iraq's Christian community and , in one instance, also to several Yezidi families. I'll be returning on my third trip to Iraq in March or April. Below is a photo of IDP Camp at St. Maria's Coptic Orthodox Church in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq.

This is awesome! Many do not know that many, many Christians are murdered every year in Islamic states, just because they don't believe in Islam. Here in Co, we began a sheltering program that helps Christian refugees fleeing persecution. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, for this. You just made my day! How can I help,@Blind3 ?

Blind3 said:

This is awesome! Many do not know that many, many Christians are murdered every year in Islamic states, just because they don't believe in Islam. Here in Co, we began a sheltering program that helps Christian refugees fleeing persecution. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, for this. You just made my day! How can I help,@Blind3 ?
    P.S. Nothing hits home more than
    Having one of your pastors captured, tortured, and after two years of praying, crying, and that ever present gut-wrench that comes with not knowing..., finally getting to welcome him home. ( which is how the program got started).
    THANK YOU WHISPERING HANDS !!! You just made my Day, Week, Year !!! It's great to speak with a kindred spirit. www.StandWithIraqiChristians.org is our website. We are just over two years old, having been founded at Christmas time 2014. We are always looking for volunteers to do anything in their hearts. Travel to Iraq on our mission trips to deliver and document where $ goes is awesome. Going to Kurdistan has been a snap as you may know. US passport is all I've needed. No safety issues to date. IT help and prayer are other areas. My priest, Fr. Chris Bishop is Founder of SWIC. He is Rector of St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Radnor, PA.
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Johan Cruijff
    edited February 2017
    Your relating the story of the priest being freed from torture hits close to home. Fr. Douglas Bazi is a friend of Fr. Chris . Fr. Douglas was captured by Baghdad Shia militia, tortured, shot, and held nine days before he was freed. He said his captors left enough links in his chains so he could pray the rosary; something they had no idea they'd done. Fr Douglas is Chaldean Catholic and was sustained by his faith.
    Post edited by Blind3 on
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Johan Cruijff
    Blind3 said:

Your relating the story of the priest being freed from torture hits close to home. Fr. Douglas Bazi is a friend of Fr. Chris . Fr. Douglas was captured by Baghdad Shia militia, tortured, shot, and held nine days before he was freed. He said his captors left enough links in his chains so he could pray the rosary; something they had no idea they'd done. Fr Douglas is Chaldean Catholic and was sustained by his faith.

I will definitely be standing with you all in prayer! And I will check out the website, and bring it to my church elders, to see what help we might offer as a felllow church! Please keep us updated on this. :smile:
    This is from Etuti Institute. Etuti means "My Existence" in Aramaic. They serve the Christian community. Etuti is one of our Iraq based partner organizations. They are TRULY AMAZING !!! https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.bell.313/posts/1239367589433685
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Johan Cruijff
    edited February 2017
    THANK YOU WHISPERING HANDS !!! Will absolutely keep you apprised of our doings. Fr. Chris was in Cyprus for the Anglican diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf Synod . I'll see him tomorrow. I'll update you once I have info on any additional goings on.
    Post edited by Blind3 on
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Johan Cruijff