Sets Captives Free

whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
I work for a non profit organization called Sets Captives Free. Here is what we do:

We incorporate Equine Assisted Psychotherapy to help women newly released from prison here in Co, to re-establish their lives in a productive, and meaningful manner, by dealing with the issues that cause continual re-entry into the prison system; Depression, PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Drug and Alcohol Addictions, and many other causes. We teach them how to love themselves again, teach them they have value, we teach them to find and hold jobs. We teach how to balance a bank account, shop effectively, and communication skills.

We also offer these very same services to children of current inmates, as well as children currently in the Juvenile Courts.

I have been working with this group for just over a year now, as their barn manager, and have gotten to see some amazing transformations! Please check out what we do!
( so there is no surprises, yes, this is a Christian organization) you
Can find out more about what is being done with this organization, at
SCFMinistry.org
Thank you for reading!

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    this is nice and we need more organizations like this as we have that major problem over here leading to our crime rate and so many of them just need help and have come from rough backgrounds, its really sad..
    what a nice rewarding job you have whispering hands, bettering others lives..
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    JWPearl said:

this is nice and we need more organizations like this as we have that major problem over here leading to our crime rate and so many of them just need help and have come from rough backgrounds, its really sad..
    what a nice rewarding job you have whispering hands, bettering others lives..

I take care of the horses. Mz.Karen does the the hard job! She helps these women and children restore their lives.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    still a contribution counts..
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Good stuff, (Horse) Whispering Hands! :plus_one:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :clap:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Nice. From what I can tell, equine therapy can work wonders. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Nice. From what I can tell, equine therapy can work wonders. :)

It really really does! That young man in the first pic, is now teaching he next group of kids horsemanship, and safe life skills! He started out so angry, and was prone to violent outbursts. Now he
    Is a shining example, all thanks to this wonderful program. :-D
  • Impressive, selfless work, Whispering.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Impressive, selfless work, Whispering.

Very rewarding work.
  • HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 498
    Well done WH!
    HH140540 said:

Well done WH!

Thank you! I love what I do, and I love getting to see these women and children find their worth and move forward in life.

As you can see DJ is our ready, steady, Go to horse, because he is so mellow; huge.. But gentle. Frosty,
    Requires a more experienced hand, due to her history of non-contact. However she has bonded instantly with the girl in the above pic, Squirrel. So, she has become Squirrel's project horse. Squirrel, ( Amanda) was just released from Colorado State Pen in Denver, after a 15 yr sentence for murder. And while she hasn't opened up to us yet, she talks up a storm to Frosty and DJ. She is the only person that Frosty greets at the gate. Just goes to show how powerful the love of a horse can be!
    Ps, the hood-like things on the horses are fly-masks. They keep flies, dust, and other debris out of the horses' eyes.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Awesome story! That's great that Squirrel is talking to the horses. Hell, I'd rather talk to an animal than most people. Keep up the good work. :plus_one:

And thanks for clarifying the hood-like thing. I was curious.
    Hobbes said:

Awesome story! That's great that Squirrel is talking to the horses. Hell, I'd rather talk to an animal than most people. Keep up the good work. :plus_one:

And thanks for clarifying the hood-like thing. I was curious.

Everyone thinks they are blindfolds! :lol:

We got to go to a "tea" honoring our ministry here in Colorado Springs.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Both the organization and you are awesome :)
    Thank you Hedo! The horses still don't know what to do with their ball!! :lol:
    The horses taking advantage of the freaky warm weather in between snow storms.
    The horses playing in the snow today.
    Our little promo video for our church to showcase this ministry.
    ">
    image" />
    It won't let me post the video... :-(
    Ok.. there! That took too long!