Without Government...

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If you want to start a topic on the recent clown situation, I think it's an interesting topic that I would enjoy posting in.
    That being said, this thread title and intent is asinine.
    I am sure there is a government abuse thread where this story would be more appropriately posted with the intent you had.
    You also may be having some sort of tech issue because you have posted quite a few links lately that go nowhere or are subscriber-only articles.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2016
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

If you want to start a topic on the recent clown situation, I think it's an interesting topic that I would enjoy posting in.
    That being said, this thread title and intent is asinine.
    I am sure there is a government abuse thread where this story would be more appropriately posted with the intent you had.
    You also may be having some sort of tech issue because you have posted quite a few links lately that go nowhere or are subscriber-only articles.

I'll start and maintain my own. Thanksverymuch.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Who would stop the scary brown people from coming into this country?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Who would stop the scary brown people from coming into this country?

Nevermind the scary brown people
    What about the scary people who support the government.
    Or the scary people who want better gun control.
    :perturbed:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    This makes sense to me:

"As for being an anarchist? Well, there's so many variants on the word "anarchy", it's ludicrous. In America, there's a whole bunch of organizations that are all "anarchist this, that and the other". But they all end with "dot org," which more or less tells you they're government sponsored. And they're all feeding fabulous theories and lies about "Whoa, let's dismantle society and start again!" Well, that's not quite what I'm into, matey. I don't want the power of the bully with the biggest gun to take over, and that's what would happen".

-John Lydon, Anger is an Energy, p. 496

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Um, the biggest bully (USA) already has the biggest gun.

Ask Iraq or Iran or Libya or Syria.
    That's because we let us become a bully. It's because only a small percentage of the US population participates. Taking away government will not solve that, it will just create more chaos and a faster revolving situation where the next big bully takes over. Rather than having no government, it makes more sense to me that more education of the people would lead to more participation by the people and less power handed over to bullies.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I used to think change could happen from within, but they'll never let it happen.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    Who's "they"?

Who's "they"?

You know...

"They".....

ZOG......

NWO.....

The Rothschilds :dizzy:
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672

Who's "they"?

All the red flags surrounding Hillary Clinton, and there's obviously a shit loud of them. Do you want to give her more power? Do you question her at all? Or are you like one of those crazy Trump supporters who will give their life's up for this guy?
    tonifig8 said:

Who's "they"?

All the red flags surrounding Hillary Clinton, and there's obviously a shit loud of them. Do you want to give her more power? Do you question her at all? Or are you like one of those crazy Trump supporters who will give their life's up for this guy?
    My question is about who won't let change happen. You're saying Hillary won't?
    Do you actually think that the President runs this country?
    I was actually thinking you could tell me who "they" are, so I'm better informed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    So seriously though, if it wasn't for the government who would keep the Muslims from opening halal carts in your town?

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Not saying the US doesn't have pothole issues (though many have resorted to fixing them themselves), but that photo up there is from the UK. I don't know what their responsibility is in terms of street or sidewalk maintenance vs here. I assume the OP was talking solely about this country? If not, my bad.

That said, we did have CalTrans address the potholes and overall quality of a tiny portion of the city on which my company resides. Almost a week's worth of "work"!

Boy, did they fuck it up. Ground is uneven, rainwater gathers in spots more than it ever did and more than it should. Had to have them come back twice to re-pave since one of our entryways became flooded by their not understanding how water movement and pooling works. It's still not what it should be, and this isn't something requiring an Einstein mentality - simply something that one in that position should know and be capable of repairing.

Take the funds for shit like that, pass them on to property owners, and allow them to get it done properly.
    hedonist said:

Not saying the US doesn't have pothole issues (though many have resorted to fixing them themselves), but that photo up there is from the UK. I don't know what their responsibility is in terms of street or sidewalk maintenance vs here. I assume the OP was talking solely about this country? If not, my bad.

That said, we did have CalTrans address the potholes and overall quality of a tiny portion of the city on which my company resides. Almost a week's worth of "work"!

Boy, did they fuck it up. Ground is uneven, rainwater gathers in spots more than it ever did and more than it should. Had to have them come back twice to re-pave since one of our entryways became flooded by their not understanding how water movement and pooling works. It's still not what it should be, and this isn't something requiring an Einstein mentality - simply something that one in that position should know and be capable of repairing.

Take the funds for shit like that, pass them on to property owners, and allow them to get it done properly.

How would you determine who owns the street?
    edited October 2016
    unsung said:

Please tell us who does.

With believable, reliable, and verifiable links to backup your assertion.

Thanks

hedonist said:

How would you determine who owns the street?
    It's either public or private. In various areas here, some have either taken it upon themselves to do it right since the city can't. Others have had the city grant them the right to fix it. When you have tree roots jacking up the sidewalks, need to find a way to right it.
    I wonder if the shoddy work of CalTrans is due the the habit of signing on the lowest bidder for work. We do that a lot in California. I remember when I was working at a community college in the bay area the work needed went out to the lowest bidder and it was crap. What we need is not no government, what we need is citizens insisting that the government do it right. Not cheap, right.

Cheap, fast, good.

As the old saying goes, pick two because you'll never get all three!

(plus, I just wish that work ethics were in place more...do your work because your conscience dictates so, not the pay)
    hedonist said:

Cheap, fast, good.

As the old saying goes, pick two because you'll never get all three!

(plus, I just wish that work ethics were in place more...do your work because your conscience dictates so, not the pay)

I'm totally with that. Right on!

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

unsung said:

Please tell us who does.

With believable, reliable, and verifiable links to backup your assertion.

Thanks
    I am guessing he thinks corporations? But as a libertarian, he should be fine with that.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:

I wonder if the shoddy work of CalTrans is due the the habit of signing on the lowest bidder for work. We do that a lot in California. I remember when I was working at a community college in the bay area the work needed went out to the lowest bidder and it was crap. What we need is not no government, what we need is citizens insisting that the government do it right. Not cheap, right.

I've lived most my life in CA. I thought CalTrans were state employees? Which means they are almost impossible to fire no matter how crappy of a job they do.
    Living my last couple years in Colorado they do give it to the lowest bidder, and I have seen much worse results here.. When they repave a street they leave small sections that were drivable. When they redo a sidewalk they'll leave a cement block in if it wasn't cracked or damaged, making the rest of the sidewalk completely not uniform. They leave the 10% that is usable and redo the other 90%. Making it unusable again in a few years when that 10% goes bad.
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

I've lived most my life in CA. I thought CalTrans were state employees? Which means they are almost impossible to fire no matter how crappy of a job they do.
    Living my last couple years in Colorado they do give it to the lowest bidder, and I have seen much worse results here.. When they repave a street they leave small sections that were drivable. When they redo a sidewalk they'll leave a cement block in if it wasn't cracked or damaged, making the rest of the sidewalk completely not uniform. They leave the 10% that is usable and redo the other 90%. Making it unusable again in a few years when that 10% goes bad.
    They're just passing that 10% savings on to you!
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

Many of them are state employees but Caltrans bids out much of its work to independent contractors. I'm not exactly sure how all that works but I knew a woman a few years back who told me her husband is an independent contractor and was heading up a state highway construction job. That job seemed to go OK, others not so good. Seems to be kind of hit and miss. Too many misses though, I'd say!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    unsung said:

Um, the biggest bully (USA) already has the biggest gun.

Ask Iraq or Iran or Libya or Syria.

Thank god that is the case. Much better scenario then those fucking idiots holding the ace card