Start another marijuana thread, please.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
edited April 2017 in A Moving Train
Why this thread? Because, really, cannabis is not the same issue as hemp. We have a hemp thread so now lets have a separate cannabis thread.

Express your thoughts about legalizing cannabis as "medical marijuana" or "I want a legal weed high" thoughts here.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Normally I would say yes because people that want to smoke it will smoke it no matter what the law says. But I hear the stuff today is really powerful.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Jason P said:

Normally I would say yes because people that want to smoke it will smoke it no matter what the law says. But I hear the stuff today is really powerful.

It is (not that I would know, of course.)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this subject because I think all drugs should be legal. People will use them whether they are or are not. Jails are already overcrowded and why put more people in for non-victim crimes?

So as for cannabis, the question to me is not so much about legalization as it is education. If people are going to use it, they would do well to have some guidance.

People who think they might want to use it would do well to consider several questions:

Can you handle the effects safely?
    Do you understand that at the very least, inexperienced smokers should not drive while high?
    Are you aware it can give you overwhelming anxiety and can you deal with that?
    Do you realize that for many, smoking pot causes short term memory loss?
    Are you aware that some find pot to be psychologically addicting?
    Do you know that often, regular (especially heavy) use reduces the effect of pot?
    Are you aware that many young pot users come across as very stupid when high and is that how you want to be seen by others?
    Are you aware that some people have a difficult time with manual dexterity and/or cognitive thinking while high?
    Are you aware that many people are very unmotivated and unproductive, especially when using on a regular basis.

I still think pot is safer than alcohol and should be legal, but I would also not hand it out like candy. Some responsible education and making of choice s is wise.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Thankfully, I live in a state where it is already legal. it is nice being able to walk into a store and purchase weed. The clientele at my local weed store seem to come from all walks of life. No stereotypes. It really is a great thing. And funny enough, everyone is always happy and friendly in those stores (both staff and customers).

As far as potency goes, we have labels on our weed, stating % THC and CBD. So just like alcohol, you know whether you're getting malt liquor vs Everclear.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

Thankfully, I live in a state where it is already legal. it is nice being able to walk into a store and purchase weed. The clientele at my local weed store seem to come from all walks of life. No stereotypes. It really is a great thing. And funny enough, everyone is always happy and friendly in those stores (both staff and customers).

As far as potency goes, we have labels on our weed, stating % THC and CBD. So just like alcohol, you know whether you're getting malt liquor vs Everclear.

That's great! Good idea.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:

Except for it being completely legalized here, I'm in the exact same place as you, jeff. I love the diversity of both the customers and (very knowledgeable) staff at my dispensary. Plus they regularly give out freebies :)

Although I've been smoking it for over 35 years - and was educated via experience and common sense - it's important for people to inform themselves as with anything else.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    edited September 2016
    jeffbr said:

Legally the products are expected to fall within a range so those % are far from the truth however. I'm sort of in the industry myself- not saying how :) and my colleagues have paid labs to test samples and they're all over the map. Edibles were the worst- some were marked at having 100mg of thc and contained 5mg or less. Truth. Contacted manufacturers declined to comment or told us that they make them in big batches so we must have sampled a batch that wasn't mixed well. Yeah...ok. There's a documentary someone did on Netflix that explains this more.

Edit- this makes it extremely dangerous for the fact that someone who buys a product and feels little effect will possibly up their dosage to the point where they get a potent product for once and end up hospitalized. The Feds are examining this as we speak and have already begun acting on the edibles legislation.

Also it should be known that most private growers in Colorado, where I do my business, export via usps to illegal states in order to make their money because the legal status has saturated the market and deflated prices in their legal state. Most growers I come in contact with preferred it as only medical or illegal in their states because they find it hard to make a living legally.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.

jeffbr said:

Legally the products are expected to fall within a range so those % are far from the truth however. I'm sort of in the industry myself- not saying how :) and my colleagues have paid labs to test samples and they're all over the map. Edibles were the worst- some were marked at having 100mg of thc and contained 5mg or less. Truth. Contacted manufacturers declined to comment or told us that they make them in big batches so we must have sampled a batch that wasn't mixed well. Yeah...ok. There's a documentary someone did on Netflix that explains this more.

Edit- this makes it extremely dangerous for the fact that someone who buys a product and feels little effect will possibly up their dosage to the point where they get a potent product for once and end up hospitalized. The Feds are examining this as we speak and have already begun acting on the edibles legislation.

Also it should be known that most private growers in Colorado, where I do my business, export via usps to illegal states in order to make their money because the legal status has saturated the market and deflated prices in their legal state. Most growers I come in contact with preferred it as only medical or illegal in their states because they find it hard to make a living legally.
    I have heard that this is a reason many do not want it legalized in California- it would crumble the economy in a few of this states counties.

• pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

That's great! Good idea.

I second that one and I haven't dabbled in that in years but an awesome idea and it should be legal so many useful purposes

hedonist said:

jeffbr said:

Except for it being completely legalized here, I'm in the exact same place as you, jeff. I love the diversity of both the customers and (very knowledgeable) staff at my dispensary. Plus they regularly give out freebies :)

Although I've been smoking it for over 35 years - and was educated via experience and common sense - it's important for people to inform themselves as with anything else.
    Agreed! Information is key. A new smoker/user shouldn't eat a batch of brownies, or smoke bowls their first time out, just like a new drinker shouldn't play beer pong or down a fifth of Jack Daniels. Start slowly, figure out what works best for you, and go from there. If you're eating edibles, try a little first, wait, wait some more, wait a little longer. Sometimes it takes a while, and if they're impatient and start consuming more than they should, the next thing they're doing is dialing 911 with a panic attack. lol.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016
    I live in a city where it's basically legal, and it's great. No problems have arisen because of it in the social sense (in a place where weed has generally been accepted as no big deal by the general public for decades). Only good things have happened since all the actual weed stores popped up in the last few years, namely that people are no longer forced to hook up with street dealers, and the product sold is guaranteed to be safe. Apparently weed that's laced with fentanyl has popped up for some reason (god knows who the fuck did that or why... maybe just some psychopath, or maybe some dipshit grower/distributor who thought maybe getting pot smokers crazyily fucked up like weed isn't supposed to do would increase business???). That kind of thing isn't going to happen at a weed shop.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I just think it should be decriminalized and medical marijuana legal across all states. That's a start.

jeffbr said:

Interesting stuff! I think Colorado is a little looser or more liberal with their legalization. Washington forced the MJ industry into our archaic, post-prohibtion, 3-tier alcohol distribution system (which they don't even use for alcohol anymore). We didn't simply convert medical dispensaries or growers into recreational shops or producers. Instead they have very limited numbers of licenses, strict guidelines for how much they can produce, everything is tested, bagged, sealed and tracked from grow to production to retail. I'd be very interested to hear about independent testing of Washington's legal weed. I know they're audited/tested by the state but have no idea how reliable that is.

I actually have always been pro-legalization, but voted against the legalization initiative that passed here for various reasons mostly having to do with the unnecessarily tight regulation, the way it was taxed 3 times along the way from grow to retail, and the way they determine limits when charging DUI (which has nothing to do with impairment). But ultimately I'm happy with it being legal for a lot of reasons, including access to lots of different strains, and the removal of the stigma/taboo associated with it. No different than having a cocktail or a beer.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Legalization is supposedly coming to Canada spring 2017...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 said:

Legalization is supposedly coming to Canada spring 2017...

I'm movin'!
    And Brian it's good that you started a couple different threads in a totally different direction ... those Hillary and Trump threads and a few others are getting borderline ridiculous.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 said:

And Brian it's good that you started a couple different threads in a totally different direction ... those Hillary and Trump threads and a few others are getting borderline ridiculous.

Can't disagree with that! :lol:
    Back to the topic ... just saw on the news that here in Canada the race is on to find a road side breathalyzer that can detect if someone is high, I believe they (police) are experimenting with different units...personally I doubt many high people are driving, they are more likely to just relax and enjoy, the drunks are the problem...

lukin2006 said:

Back to the topic ... just saw on the news that here in Canada the race is on to find a road side breathalyzer that can detect if someone is high, I believe they (police) are experimenting with different units...personally I doubt many high people are driving, they are more likely to just relax and enjoy, the drunks are the problem...

I think there are more high people driving then you think. Bummer on the breathalyzer front. Drunks are a LOT more dangerous.
    lukin2006 said:

Yeah, I think we all appreciate a break from the political quagmire!

As far as driving while high, yes, drunks are far more dangerous but high drivers vary a lot. A long time ago I rode in a car with a driver who was high as a kite on this street that had round grass medians every fifty yards as an alternative to speed bumps. He just drove straight over the medians. Probably trashed the suspension in his dad's car. Another time I drove with a guy who started freaking out because he thought he was going too fast. He was doing a 15 MPH in a 35 MPH zone.

Zone... ah huh. If you're riding, choose your driver wisely.

^^^ good advice Brian. I would never drive high or drunk, or get in a vehicle with vehicle with either.

Free said:

lukin2006 said:

I think there are more high people driving then you think. Bummer on the breathalyzer front. Drunks are a LOT more dangerous.
    You could be right, there might be more than I think ... when I got more time I'll search and see if Washington or Colorado has published stats. Bummer on the breathalyzer because they've possibly developed one or they don't know how well it works?

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

lukin2006 said:

You could be right, there might be more than I think ... when I got more time I'll search and see if Washington or Colorado has published stats. Bummer on the breathalyzer because they've possibly developed one or they don't know how well it works?
    One problem with a breathalyzer for weed is that is that there are Cannabidiol-rich (CBD) products that have some of the medicinal benefits of pot but give little or no high. Would these people get busted even though not high when driving?

edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

lukin2006 said:

Free said:

lukin2006 said:

One problem with a breathalyzer for weed is that is that there are Cannabidiol-rich (CBD) products that have some of the medicinal benefits of pot but give little or no high. Would these people get busted even though not high when driving?
    I'm not a 100% sure, but I think CBD gives no high, as long as there is a very low THC content...I'm sure someone can chime in who knows more. Pot is only illegal because of the pharmaceutical industry...some of that shit their pushing should be illegal...lol.
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    CBD gives no high. It's helped some the few times I've used it.

Much prefer the buzzed state but when you're working and are in pain? Gotta go the other route till I can get home and light a bowl...my preferential place to be when getting high to begin with.

I've driven after taking a hit as I have after having had a glass of wine. But, I'm self-aware enough at this point that if I feel impaired in any way to get behind the wheel, it's Uber or a taxi. The alternative is just not worth it.

As to the breathalyzer, I'm not sure it can be gauged as accurately as for alcohol. Look at how long ago it was used, body fat, etc.
    hedonist said:

Much prefer the buzzed state but when you're working and are in pain? Gotta go the other route till I can get home and light a bowl...my preferential place to be when getting high to begin with.

I've driven after taking a hit as I have after having had a glass of wine. But, I'm self-aware enough at this point that if I feel impaired in any way to get behind the wheel, it's Uber or a taxi. The alternative is just not worth it.

As to the breathalyzer, I'm not sure it can be gauged as accurately as for alcohol. Look at how long ago it was used, body fat, etc.

Thank you for the info, never used just CBD, I prefer the buzzed state as well.

lukin2006 said:

hedonist said:

Thank you for the info, never used just CBD, I prefer the buzzed state as well.
    Someone once said, "If you feel bad you may as well feel good." Makes sense.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    In Oregon, the transition seemed pretty smooth. It was pretty prevalent for years since possession was reduced to a "violation" and medical weed has been legal for over 10 years. About a year after it was made legal, the retail stores started up (maybe last fall). The tax revenue has been about 3x larger than what the state expected. It's monitored by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which made good sense. The news out of Washington seems like they have more layers of bureaucracy added on. The retailers and growers very much want to be viewed as ligit. As far as what's different from where I am, I smell it a little more while riding my bike around town, and there seems to be a little more at live shows. People are a bit more loose with it at night outside of bars/brewpubs. The social acceptance part is interesting. I'm sure it depends on age and social circles. What I pick up is that people are rather neutral in conversations about it. Friends will talk about smoking up, but I haven't heard in any professional type people talking about lighting up like they might talk about drinking beer. At work we might talk about beer, but no one has brought up weed! Sometimes I still can't believe it's legal when I think back to living in Indiana 25 years ago and it was such a sneaky, subversive thing. Now all I need to do is walk in a store and buy it. To answer your original question, yes, we Shall!! (except for Utah, Kansas, and South Carolina)

In Oregon, the transition seemed pretty smooth. It was pretty prevalent for years since possession was reduced to a "violation" and medical weed has been legal for over 10 years. About a year after it was made legal, the retail stores started up (maybe last fall). The tax revenue has been about 3x larger than what the state expected. It's monitored by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission, which made good sense. The news out of Washington seems like they have more layers of bureaucracy added on. The retailers and growers very much want to be viewed as ligit. As far as what's different from where I am, I smell it a little more while riding my bike around town, and there seems to be a little more at live shows. People are a bit more loose with it at night outside of bars/brewpubs. The social acceptance part is interesting. I'm sure it depends on age and social circles. What I pick up is that people are rather neutral in conversations about it. Friends will talk about smoking up, but I haven't heard in any professional type people talking about lighting up like they might talk about drinking beer. At work we might talk about beer, but no one has brought up weed! Sometimes I still can't believe it's legal when I think back to living in Indiana 25 years ago and it was such a sneaky, subversive thing. Now all I need to do is walk in a store and buy it. To answer your original question, yes, we Shall!! (except for Utah, Kansas, and South Carolina)

Interesting point there, GB. Now that you mention it, I have noticed it's a subject generally avoided in certain circles. I live in a fairly conservative enclave of California so things are probably a lot more reserved here socially that way and yet pot is still obviously wide spread here. I would say of the peers that I engage with on a regular basis, most are OK with it but only a few talk about it so it's hard to say how many imbibe. The generation following us boomers seems a lot more open about it. And the folks who hang at at the local food co-op and at the coffee houses that cater to the younger hippies and hipsters- well, I can't imagine there are many strangers to the herb in those places.

And I know what you mean about how the view of pot has changed. Even in California in the late sixties there was a lot of resistance to weed. In my first year in school living in a dorm at San Francisco State, dorms were raided one weekend when I was away at home. Guys were getting busted for tiny amounts, even just for seeds. And yet you saw people smoking joints on campus or on the streets downtown and always clouds of weed hanging over Golden Gate Park. Weird time there in the City By the Bay.

• Damn right it should be legalized why is it that I can right now purchase a wine press get my own grapes and make wine , it should be legal for every American citizen to be able to grow your own weed if you choose too ! I've grown my own the last two yrs and it's been so rewarding as far as my enjoyment goes I can now make my own eatables & oil , hash all from one plant plus my friends benefit from it I don't sell it rather I'm generous with it ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Legalize it.
    Don't criticize it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.