Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Picked this up recently second-hand, not one of his greatest, but still very nice to have..
    Original from 1989.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Looking for a Rebel Content tour poster with the hand grenade peach on it from US tour if someone has an extra kicking around.
    I only bought one in Seattle and I have a friend that wants one.
    Lots to trade or buy for a reasonable price.
    PM if you can help
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Will Archives volume 02 with his 70s stuff be released this fall? Or what has been said about that lately?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited September 2016
    reesdog said:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Picked this up recently second-hand, not one of his greatest, but still very nice to have..
    Original from 1989.

I know it's his "comeback" album. But I think it's too affected of the 80's sound.

Revisited Reacor though. That's a pretty good one.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594

To those interested. Reissues of On the Beach, Time Fades, Zuma and Tonights the Night on the way
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/neil-youngs-on-the-beach-is-finally-reissued-on-standalone-vinyl/#more-125209

All great LP's! So cool that they're being re-issued!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Uncle Neil is coming back to Australia and New Zealand in 2017!! :) He's just been added to the Bluesfest line up in April, and Frontier Touring posted this on Facebook:

"Frontier Touring are thrilled to reveal that Neil Young, one of rock’s most revered songwriters and performers, will be returning to Australia and New Zealand in 2017 for his first shows down under in four years.

‘Nobody does it quite like Young ★★★★’ – The Guardian
    ‘This is his best tour in at least 20 years’ – Rolling Stone

Young will perform headline dates in both countries, including indoor arenas and special outdoor shows. He’ll be joined on stage by Promise of the Real – a five-piece Californian band featuring Willie Nelson’s sons Lukas and Micah.

Dates, venues and ticket details will be revealed very soon.

For long-time fans, these amazing shows are not to be missed! With Promise of the Real on-stage beside him, Young is currently playing some of the finest shows fans have ever witnessed.

These shows will be something truly special. Stay tuned to the Frontier Touring website and Facebook for all the details soon!"

It also had a picture of a calendar showing October 12th, so maybe that's when the dates will be announced.

Fuck yeah!!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Harvest is one of the greatest albums of all time.
    Period.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • neil in telluride would be an incredible RIDE
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    goldrush said:

Uncle Neil is coming back to Australia and New Zealand in 2017!! :) He's just been added to the Bluesfest line up in April, and Frontier Touring posted this on Facebook:

"Frontier Touring are thrilled to reveal that Neil Young, one of rock’s most revered songwriters and performers, will be returning to Australia and New Zealand in 2017 for his first shows down under in four years.

‘Nobody does it quite like Young ★★★★’ – The Guardian
    ‘This is his best tour in at least 20 years’ – Rolling Stone

Young will perform headline dates in both countries, including indoor arenas and special outdoor shows. He’ll be joined on stage by Promise of the Real – a five-piece Californian band featuring Willie Nelson’s sons Lukas and Micah.

Dates, venues and ticket details will be revealed very soon.

For long-time fans, these amazing shows are not to be missed! With Promise of the Real on-stage beside him, Young is currently playing some of the finest shows fans have ever witnessed.

These shows will be something truly special. Stay tuned to the Frontier Touring website and Facebook for all the details soon!"

It also had a picture of a calendar showing October 12th, so maybe that's when the dates will be announced.

Fuck yeah!!

Cool! Looking forward to hearing about it, goldrush!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited October 2016
    I hadn't seen this anywhere until it appeared on PopMarket this week:

Neil Young Official Release Series Discs 8.5-12

"The Neil Young Official Release Series Volume 3 limited edition box set includes Long May You Run (The Stills-Young Band), American Stars 'N Bars, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young & Crazy Horse), and Live Rust (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)."

It's a 6 LP set, Long May You Run being disc 8.5, and Live Rust being a double LP :)
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Cool thanks for the heads up!
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Anybody have an extra Rebel Content(peach hand grenade)tour poster kicking around?

Pm me just in time for Xmas;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    goldrush said:

I hadn't seen this anywhere until it appeared on PopMarket this week:

Neil Young Official Release Series Discs 8.5-12

"The Neil Young Official Release Series Volume 3 limited edition box set includes Long May You Run (The Stills-Young Band), American Stars 'N Bars, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps (Neil Young & Crazy Horse), and Live Rust (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)."

It's a 6 LP set, Long May You Run being disc 8.5, and Live Rust being a double LP :)

I wonder why he doesn't have it up on his site? Popmarket shipping charges to Canada are outrageous
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
    Same to Australia, it's the only reason I haven't jumped on this already

(Tim Rogers)
    The box set seems to have disappeared, and there's no news about the Aus tour either...
    Looking forward to Peace Trail, but I'm dying to get the tour news!

(Tim Rogers)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    That peace trail song is pretty cool.
    Oh and man all his albums are on Spotify now not just Geffen. That is awesome too.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    edited November 2016
    Good news and bad news (for my wallet!) from the Neil camp

The new vinyl box set is finally up on Neil's site now, I ordered mine last night...

But the 2017 Aus tour isn't happening :(

From Frontier Touring's FB page: "We regret to advise that Neil Young will unfortunately no longer be undertaking a 2017 headline tour of Australia and New Zealand as previously ‘teased’ on our social media."

Bugger!

(Tim Rogers)
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I wish that he and PJ would work on a Mirrorball reissue.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

As expected, Neil has cancelled his Bluesfest performance as well:
    It is with a heavy heart I announce this morning that Neil Young has cancelled his performance at Bluesfest 2017. Although I have been aware of this as a possibility for a couple of weeks now, I have been appealing to Neil's management for him to play the confirmed concert. Unfortunately, this is now not going to happen. Whilst details for the cancellation remain sketchy, from what I can gather Neil has decided to take 2017 off from touring.

At the moment, there isn't an official statement from Neil's management regarding the cancellation. I have no reason to believe this is due to any illness, I have been advised he is tired from recent touring, and I surmise wants to have some down time.

Bluesfest had its own contract with Neil's representatives for the performance, paid the required deposit, and had full permission to announce the Bluesfest performance.

I note, that an announcement saying Neil would not be touring, occurred recently by Frontier Touring. I do want to say again, that the Bluesfest contracted performance occurred directly with Neil Young's representatives.

Bluesfest is a major Festival with one of the best line-ups in our history scheduled for 2017. The Zac Brown Band, Santana, Patti Smith, The Lumineers, Mary J Blige, The Doobie Brothers, Madness, Bonnie Raitt, Billy Bragg, and scores of other artists, including the King of the Blues, Buddy Guy are all performing at Bluesfest 2017, as well as the hits of Bluesfest 2016, St Paul & the Broken Bones and Rhiannon Giddens.

Of course, we are in negotiations with other great artists to play, and we will be releasing a new artist announcement soon. I understand that no one can replace Neil Young, and that there will be disappointment as a result of his cancelling.

Refunds are now available for Single Day Ticket buyers for the day of Neil's performance. They will be available until a week after the new artist announcement.
    We ask Ticket buyers to hold their Single Day Friday Tickets until the new announcement has been made!
    The Bluesfest Ticketing Team can handle any enquiries you may have.
    The office is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and can be reached on 02 6685 8310.

I would like to say in closing, that we are very disappointed at making this announcement.

I feel I have done everything I can, to cause the concert to be performed.

We value our audience, and their assumption, that when buying their Ticket, they should have an expectation the advertised performance will occur. In this case, that has not happened, and I apologise, even though the events were out of my control.

I want to wish Neil Young the very best and appreciate what he is doing for First Nations People at Standing Rock. We look forward to presenting him soon at Bluesfest.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2016
    On the plus side (for me at least), the vinyl box set that I ordered on Monday night was delivered this afternoon (Friday)! That's less than a 4 day turnaround to get a pretty hefty box set ordered and shipped from La Vergne, TN to Sydney Australia!

Guess I'll be spinning Live Rust tonight :)

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Anybody have a Fairey poster from the most recent tour? When I passed at the show I didn't realize it would be so hard to track down.
  • Taking the year off from touring = getting Archives vol 2 out?
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    eddiec said:

Anybody have a Fairey poster from the most recent tour? When I passed at the show I didn't realize it would be so hard to track down.

It's a good one - framed :) There are some APs floating around - saw the on Neil's site some time back....
    I'm really enjoying Peace Trail so far; it's better than I expected it to be, to be honest. It's mostly acoustic, but with some typically Neil electric leads in there. It reminds me of his Dead Man soundtrack at times, where the guitars just rumble over an acoustic backing without warning.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:

I'm really enjoying Peace Trail so far; it's better than I expected it to be, to be honest. It's mostly acoustic, but with some typically Neil electric leads in there. It reminds me of his Dead Man soundtrack at times, where the guitars just rumble over an acoustic backing without warning.

Love the sound of it and Neils timeless never aging voice.

But the songs aren't the strongest he's done.

goldrush said:

Yeah, I get that about the songs. You can tell it was written quickly in the spur of the moment. Sometimes that can work really well, especially for Neil, but sometimes it can sound undercooked.
    There's a different kind of sound to this record, which I really like. Some of his phrasing and arrangements are quite new for a Neil record.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    goldrush said:

goldrush said:

Yeah, I get that about the songs. You can tell it was written quickly in the spur of the moment. Sometimes that can work really well, especially for Neil, but sometimes it can sound undercooked.
    There's a different kind of sound to this record, which I really like. Some of his phrasing and arrangements are quite new for a Neil record.
    Quite enjoying this record. The instrumentation is really strong and I like the raw sound. Pretty obvious that Neil didn't spend too long on these songs but it's pretty cool. Any new Neil is better than no Neil at all!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • So when is Powderfinger taking place?
    I've been on a bit of a Neil spree lately, trying to fill in some gaps in my collection (I had a bunch of records get water damaged years ago and I'm still replacing some of them)

Finally got hold of another copy of this gem...

And I've always had a soft spot for this one...

There's a few more on their way as well :)

(Tim Rogers)